Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
e: poo poo guess I better write something more than a one liner.

V. Illych L. posted:

the US has more active state capacity than the EU does, which for various historical and political reasons tends to operate in a highly bureaucratic, rules-following way. that means that when it's time to mobilise large amounts of resources to achieve some ad-hoc end, the US is better positioned to do that than is the EU.

to some extent this can be considered as the different projects' commitments to neoliberalism - where in the US it has been the unquestioned political paradigm for decades, the modern EU is in effect constitutionally neoliberal. the US state has always maintained the theoretical ability to commit to major interventions, but it has been kept off the table because of effective vetoes from the interests in the driver's seat. in the EU, that ability doesn't exist by design.

what, precisely, one chooses to call "left-wing" in this context is not necessarily straightforward. it is clear that the US market manipulation schemes are aggressive acts for which the ideological justification has been building for a long time (thence the disucssion of the weird conversation between that senator and scholz). it is also clear that the europeans have no good answer to it. i don't subscribe to the view that simply using state intervention is inherently left-wing, and my impression of the IRA is that it's a neoliberal/bourgeois-technocratic measure primarily meant to siphon off industrial capital from europe to the US. still, it's hard to imagine a serious left-wing industrial transition happening without this kind of state capacity.

Our answer seems to be to complain that it's against the rules.

And I agree I guess, it's not that what the americans are doing is a left wing thing or that they are left wing, but they are utilizing the state to their advantage and it's like you say, a left wing answer would require similar things from the state and also going against the rules of the global trade framework we've built up in the neoliberal era. I am also not sure that the US is out to target the EU, more they are targeting China and the EU got caught up in the backwash of this.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

It's not a complaint to point out that the round hole is not square, as the author functionally purports it to be.

Why doesn't EU just collectively borrow half a trillion? Why doesn't the author just become a billionaire and stop toiling on Substack?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
To be precise with that complaint thing I wasn't singling anything you said out, but what I read the EU response was in several articles.

The EU could indeed borrow half a trillion or even more, I think they almost did so for covid. With the correct external pressures the EU seems to be able to overcome it's "ruleboundness", almost. Perhaps the IRA can be the pressure we need.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

gently caress my brain, I keep reading it as Irish Republican Army then doing a double-take before remembering that it's short for Inflation Reduction Act.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

His Divine Shadow posted:

To be precise with that complaint thing I wasn't singling anything you said out, but what I read the EU response was in several articles.

The EU could indeed borrow half a trillion or even more, I think they almost did so for covid. With the correct external pressures the EU seems to be able to overcome it's "ruleboundness", almost. Perhaps the IRA can be the pressure we need.

You seem to be very light-touch on facts here, so I can only suggest a refresher from Politico on Germany's constitutional limits for borrowing.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

gently caress my brain, I keep reading it as Irish Republican Army then doing a double-take before remembering that it's short for Inflation Reduction Act.

Thank you. I guessed the 'some protectionist american thing' meaning, but had no idea what this Uspol thing was actually called.
Also not Individual Retirement account...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

uh I dunno, I do know about that. Germany is a gently caress. I guess I believe that things can change regardless though. But Germany is the biggest obstacle for sure.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Issaries posted:

Thank you. I guessed the 'some protectionist american thing' meaning, but had no idea what this Uspol thing was actually called.
Also not Individual Retirement account...

No I did mean the irish republican army attacking us all and making us put aside our petty differences.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

uh I dunno, I do know about that. Germany is a gently caress. I guess I believe that things can change regardless though. But Germany is the biggest obstacle for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I also believe things can change, and even improve. I just don't think that Germany is going to quickly rewrite its constitution because the Americans have decided to run another cash handout for companies, or that it's fair to expect it to. Basically, this is a roundabout way of saying that the author does treat the EU as a country, which, while I loving wish that it were, it is not, and that makes the article downright stupid on some key points.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

V. Illych L. posted:

the US has more active state capacity than the EU does, which for various historical and political reasons tends to operate in a highly bureaucratic, rules-following way. that means that when it's time to mobilise large amounts of resources to achieve some ad-hoc end, the US is better positioned to do that than is the EU.

I'd like to explicitly point out that you are comparing a nation state's state capacity with that of a peace project and trade union where individual members have retained sovereignty. The EU isn't even a federation (yet, inshallah). Considering the wildly diverging interests of individual members it's remarkable how unified the EU can be at times, but it's still 27 countries navigating their differences, not one country.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Antigravitas posted:

I'd like to explicitly point out that you are comparing a nation state's state capacity with that of a peace project and trade union where individual members have retained sovereignty. The EU isn't even a federation (yet, inshallah). Considering the wildly diverging interests of individual members it's remarkable how unified the EU can be at times, but it's still 27 countries navigating their differences, not one country.

those are among the "various historical and political reasons" referred to in the quoted segment

to whit:

the problem isn't really that the apparatus isn't there or that the decision makers are ideologically hidebound, it's that for anyone to do something like this you'd need an identifiable locus for such a project. the most obvious way of doing this would be to empower the Commission, but while ursula von der leyen is fine as the president of a Commission whose task it is to negotiate settlements between the bureaucracy and the member states i very much doubt that she would be acceptable as an actual executive over an EU super-state. that project would need the ability to significantly direct policy contrary to the interests of various stakeholders, and that in turn would require a figure of somewhat greater stature than she.

basically, as the EU has expanded it has provided a whole bunch of entities with a whole bunch of effective vetoes against most kinds of proactive measure. this is by design, since many stakeholders have been worried at various points about being overrun by the relative powers within the EU, and it very much informs how the EU as an institution deals with challenges and how the interface between the EU, its various composite agencies and its member states works.

e. it's similar to how the EU is really bad at buying stuff because its acquisitions procedures are structured around its compliance procedures - because it's vitally important that no EU funds get obviously misappropriated, cutting deals becomes difficult and inefficient, despite the european bureaucracy generally being very good at what it does.

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 23, 2023

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
This is one of the main points I struggle with in forming my opinion about EU and what path should it take.

I realize that for efficiency reasons if we want EU to ever have more proactive agency in forming continent wide policy, we'd have to move away from the current directorial system. But the risks of it are huge if neoliberal ghouls gain hold of the now sole executive institution of Commission. Not only would it start clashing with countries with more encompassing welfare state policies, it would make the situation in southern economies even more dire. This would inevitably lead into fight between national states and Brussels depending on changing political landscape within members and after that fragmentation and possibly break up of the Union. So EU really is in Catch-22 situation where becoming efficient political agent would probably lead to destruction of it being a political agent in the first place.

So while I like the idea of EU, I'm stuck in voting for politicians who wont rock the boat too much and are satisfied with status quo. EU will be stuck with a directorial system, where the European Council will in effect lead the Commission, Parliament is the stamping machine and discussion club and EU as a whole stays as a confederacy. This means that EU policy will be reactive for foreseeable future, but at least there's still some institutional framework for European co-operation where European interests are looked after in globalized world.

Glah fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Mar 23, 2023

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

V. Illych L. posted:

those are among the "various historical and political reasons" referred to in the quoted segment

Fair enough, but you have to admit that's a pretty huge apples to potatoes comparison :v:.

It is of course easy to overcome rules when everyone in the room who made the rules in the first place agrees to do so. That's true in contract law, and it's true in international treaties. Getting 27 entities to agree, that's the tricky part.

Making the EU more able to respond will require ditching unanimity, and I don't think morphing the EU to something approaching a presidential system is going to go down well. The European Parliament needs to be empowered, because there is no way people will accept wide-ranging decisions that can overpower individual countries without direct democratic legitimisation. That is, in my eyes, the only road towards federalisation.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i personally tend to think that the centralisation of authority within the EU would tend to tilt things even more in favour of the german industry/french agribusiness-based interest politics than they are now - it's hard for me to see how the most powerful discrete interests wouldn't gain even greater heft in such an institutional context. this is an insanely complicated system, though, and i'm not going to pretend to know for sure what would be the results of messing around with its fundamental structure.

e.:

Antigravitas posted:

Fair enough, but you have to admit that's a pretty huge apples to potatoes comparison :v:.

It is of course easy to overcome rules when everyone in the room who made the rules in the first place agrees to do so. That's true in contract law, and it's true in international treaties. Getting 27 entities to agree, that's the tricky part.

Making the EU more able to respond will require ditching unanimity, and I don't think morphing the EU to something approaching a presidential system is going to go down well. The European Parliament needs to be empowered, because there is no way people will accept wide-ranging decisions that can overpower individual countries without direct democratic legitimisation. That is, in my eyes, the only road towards federalisation.

i actually don't think it's necessarily unreasonable to compare the EU to major state projects - it certainly tries to act like a state project, and i get the impression that a lot of the ideologues see it as a state project. it's presently a rather funky and dysfunctional one (to the extent that the classification doesn't make sense in several contexts, especially connected to the management of violence), but especially with regards to economic policy the EU behaves quite a lot like a kind of state.

that said, i agree that the only viable path forward for european integration would be a fairly strong reform of the entire system based on massively empowering the european parliament. i do not think that this is in the cards, however, not least because of the increasing social-political fissures within europe (imagine poland's reaction to the EP mandating certain standards for abortion rights, for instance)

V. Illych L. fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 23, 2023

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
The solution is of course for the proletariat to get hold of EU's executive organs, unite the continent through interests of the working class and actually make the epithet that populist eurosceptics like to throw around true with the creation of EUSSR :v:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Glah posted:

The solution is of course for the proletariat to get hold of EU's executive organs, unite the continent through interests of the working class and actually make the epithet that populist eurosceptics like to throw around true with the creation of EUSSR :v:

hell,

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Glah posted:

This, but unironically?

I don't know how it feels in other countries, but I feel like like my interests are usually better represented by the European Parliament than by my own national goverment…

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

Similar thoughts. Despite deeming myself to be at least somewhat of an EU understander, I'm not going to presume that I have even a partial idea of the side effects it would have, but I would work this question through a reform of the EU parliament first. There are a few problems

1) It's a lovely parliament where the average member is some kind of political undesirable domestically
2) It has rather limited privileges
3) It has a bad reputation in member states, often seen as undemocratic or otherwise illegitimate (even pre-Qatar that is)

All of these are overlapping, and need to be unfucked simultaneously, basically. How they are elected is a poo poo show, and while that remains so there's no point in talking about giving them (more tangible) power. I would argue basically to start from the basics, with a review of EP quotas to reduce the power excess of smaller states, by increasing the per-state cap and the total cap on the number of MEPs. With that established, write a single pan-EU electoral law for the EP elections. The law should cover literally everything – from the electoral mechanism, to counting votes, to the allowed advertising, to the candidate funding, to everything else your average national regulation covers for running an election in Europe. Crucially, these should be run by a central EU body, e.g., with EPPO in the enforcement capacity, and candidates should only be allowed to use funds out of the EU budget. Obviously, a few cans of worms to explore too, like Spitzenkandidat or making the EP bicameral.

Undoubtedly, I'm forgetting or overlooking at least several things, but that's the idea here, I think that for any positive movements in this direction the EP needs to be reformed to not be this second-rate, backwater institution that it currently is by design so that it's easy for member state governments to have an endless source of semi-dumb poo poo that can be pointed at with "EU bad".

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Similar thoughts. Despite deeming myself to be at least somewhat of an EU understander, I'm not going to presume that I have even a partial idea of the side effects it would have, but I would work this question through a reform of the EU parliament first. There are a few problems

1) It's a lovely parliament where the average member is some kind of political undesirable domestically
2) It has rather limited privileges
3) It has a bad reputation in member states, often seen as undemocratic or otherwise illegitimate (even pre-Qatar that is)

All of these are overlapping, and need to be unfucked simultaneously, basically. How they are elected is a poo poo show, and while that remains so there's no point in talking about giving them (more tangible) power. I would argue basically to start from the basics, with a review of EP quotas to reduce the power excess of smaller states, by increasing the per-state cap and the total cap on the number of MEPs. With that established, write a single pan-EU electoral law for the EP elections. The law should cover literally everything – from the electoral mechanism, to counting votes, to the allowed advertising, to the candidate funding, to everything else your average national regulation covers for running an election in Europe. Crucially, these should be run by a central EU body, e.g., with EPPO in the enforcement capacity, and candidates should only be allowed to use funds out of the EU budget. Obviously, a few cans of worms to explore too, like Spitzenkandidat or making the EP bicameral.

Undoubtedly, I'm forgetting or overlooking at least several things, but that's the idea here, I think that for any positive movements in this direction the EP needs to be reformed to not be this second-rate, backwater institution that it currently is by design so that it's easy for member state governments to have an endless source of semi-dumb poo poo that can be pointed at with "EU bad".
Why do you believe they should increase the power of larger states? I could maybe see it if the same expansion of EP power also effectively curtailed the informal power of Germany, but I don't really see how this would serve the interest of the people of Europe. Hell, not even the Germans.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

America gets a lot of poo poo (by americans) for having small states get unfair representation, but if the smaller nations in the EU want to avoid being run over by the germans and french I think something like that is required, for it even to be remotely acceptable to federalize.

Personally from a finnish perspective, the EU mainly brought in more neoliberal policies and attitudes and replaced more socialist ones.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why do you believe they should increase the power of larger states? I could maybe see it if the same expansion of EP power also effectively curtailed the informal power of Germany, but I don't really see how this would serve the interest of the people of Europe. Hell, not even the Germans.

Apportionment of the EP seats doesn't presently follow any specific formula, and the worst discrepancy has a ratio of ~11 (Germany vs Malta for population/MEPs). I think that it would end up being a major source of procedural friction, and it should be alleviated by 1) introducing a single apportionment formula and 2) constraining the ratio to an explicitly substantiated and less conventionally ridiculous number. Until this happens, I don't see a reason why, e.g., Germans would want to federalize with the rest either. Since this is a highly speculative exercise with no clearly defined “target powers” for the EP, I'll say that I'm not at all precluding here a concurrent establishment of further checks against the EP's power, if the consensus feels that the Council and the EUCO aren't enough. For a really lazy take, let's make like the Council, but permanently represented in the conversations in the EP, so like the U.S. Senate – let's do hmm, 3 people per member state, and call them the Council of the European Parliament, to trigger just about everyone.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

A Buttery Pastry posted:

and here we immediately touch upon a big part of the reason why the present system endures, as obviously flawed as it is - any change would shift the balance of power in various ways, some of which are predictable and others which are not, and will be resisted by those who think they stand to lose from the altered arrangement. thus, to gain impetus for such a reform one would probably have to build the reform around existing power bases, which from where i'm sitting means that one absolutely needs both germany and france on-board, probably allied with the easterners and basically forcing any remainders (southern europe, notably) to heel. basically this would pretty much have to be the countries in the centre improving their position relative to the EU periphery, and in this scenario (northern, central and eastern europe forcing reform at the expense of the southerners) it would almost necessarily have to limit the reformed parliament's authority over contentious issues, e.g. stuff like abortion. note that this is the easiest path i can see to a meaningful reform and assumes a ton of good faith from various national governments; the reality is certainly rather messier, not least since so many essential stakeholders find the Council a perfectly satisfactory affair.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Apportionment of the EP seats doesn't presently follow any specific formula, and the worst discrepancy has a ratio of ~11 (Germany vs Malta for population/MEPs). I think that it would end up being a major source of procedural friction, and it should be alleviated by 1) introducing a single apportionment formula and 2) constraining the ratio to an explicitly substantiated and less conventionally ridiculous number. Until this happens, I don't see a reason why, e.g., Germans would want to federalize with the rest either. Since this is a highly speculative exercise with no clearly defined “target powers” for the EP, I'll say that I'm not at all precluding here a concurrent establishment of further checks against the EP's power, if the consensus feels that the Council and the EUCO aren't enough. For a really lazy take, let's make like the Council, but permanently represented in the conversations in the EP, so like the U.S. Senate – let's do hmm, 3 people per member state, and call them the Council of the European Parliament, to trigger just about everyone.
Why is eliminating procedural friction necessarily a good thing? Supreme Dictator von der Leyden could get a lot of things done, but it's not necessarily in anyone's interest.

I mean, I am seeing what you and Lenin are saying, I just think your posts seem kind of focused on the formal nature of the thing as opposed to the potential purpose. In particular, in a way that ignores the very real issue that the most obvious role models for parliamentarism assume some form of unity in the population. With no strong cultural bonds, the risk of a powerful subgroup within the European superstate treating other parts of the state as essentially colonies is not insubstantial. Like, that is basically already how the EU functions, but at least Germany isn't fully in charge.

America gets a lot of poo poo (by americans) for having small states get unfair representation, but if the smaller nations in the EU want to avoid being run over by the germans and french I think something like that is required, for it even to be remotely acceptable to federalize.

Personally from a finnish perspective, the EU mainly brought in more neoliberal policies and attitudes and replaced more socialist ones.
Yeah, the fact that Europe is presently divided into different nations really makes the comparison to US states kinda weak.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Why is eliminating procedural friction necessarily a good thing? Supreme Dictator von der Leyden could get a lot of things done, but it's not necessarily in anyone's interest.

I mean, I am seeing what you and Lenin are saying, I just think your posts seem kind of focused on the formal nature of the thing as opposed to the potential purpose. In particular, in a way that ignores the very real issue that the most obvious role models for parliamentarism assume some form of unity in the population. With no strong cultural bonds, the risk of a powerful subgroup within the European superstate treating other parts of the state as essentially colonies is not insubstantial. Like, that is basically already how the EU functions, but at least Germany isn't fully in charge.

I think that the Council and the EUCO are decent enough safeguards against EP, and I'm not proposing to abolish either. Council has a clear definition – a minister from every country, and thus it's fair to me. EUCO does also have a clear definition – every head of state, and thus it's also fair to me. EP, on the other hand, is “well we negotiated” + chaotic mishmash of accession-time agreements between the EU and the individual member states. I don't think it's fair to any given member state excluding like Malta and Luxembourg, maybe the Baltics. In particular, given other safeguards in place, I think it's relatively unfair to countries like Germany and France. If I were to try to sell to them (both to the national governments and to the population) an expansion of power of the power of the EP, I would expect them to take an issue with this. Especially as the scope of this hypothetical expansion of the EP power would to entrust them with a limited ability to compete with or supersede the national parliaments in some area of policymaking.

Simultaneously, I don't think it's practical to make this truly proportional, e.g., 1 candidate for 500k people, meaning 1 for Malta, 1 for Luxembourg, and 166 for Germany. I just want so that no layperson could say that 1 Luxembourgish vote equals 10 German votes. 3 maximum (sorry Antigravitas), taking U.S. Wyoming-California ratio in the Electoral College for the upper bound, and with uniform logic for everyone. For instance, let's have 1 MEP per 200k for Luxembourg, and 1 MEP per 600k for Germany, meaning final MEP counts of 3 for Luxembourg (-3/-50%) and 139 for Germany (+43/+45%). Some sort of sliding population scale between the two extremes (well, minimum population would be Malta, but you get the point) defining the population ratios for everyone else.

Furthermore, it's obvious that at least some smaller member states would be unhappy about that. To which end, I would be fine with implementing additional country-proportional checks. For instance, to make the EP bicameral, with 3 or 5 would-be senators per EU member states. Importantly, however, checks on a properly proportional parliament. My argument is that the EP is a proportional parliament done poorly, and that it's unreasonable to dare expect a consensus on expanding its powers before it's redone correctly.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 23, 2023

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A bit of funny neolib maths would be to use GDP per capita in the apportionment of the seats. Money obviously is matters in politics, so we should divide the final seats by median EU GDP per capita divided by the member state's. Now, Luxembourg could become even more upset with this, but thankfully for their national pride I'm just shitposting.

Also, I'm not sure that everyone is ready for Romania's super-delegation to the EP.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Well, there's a clear debate ongoing to claim that the IRA has inflicted no damage upon the European economy, and this looks like a bog-standard entry to that.

Well, since Brexit any damage the IRA did wasn't to the European econ-- oh you meant the Inflation Reduction Act.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
The recent attempt to introduce transnational list in addition to national lists and so called Spitzenkandidaten (lead candidates of EP groups would vie for the position of Commission presidency) for European parliamentary elections illuminates how difficult any kind of reform for EU institutions are. Federalists had been campaigning for this relatively small reform for years and parliament had agreed on it but European Council just went 'nah' and that was that.

Would have been interesting to see how transnational list would have worked out in practice. It would have been weighed for smaller countries so that Germans or other bigger countries wouldn't have dominated the list so much but could it really have led to pan-European campaigning? Personally I think that transnational list is extremely important step towards creating actual pan-european politics where country doesn't matter as much as mutual pan-european interests. Workers of Europe unite and all that, baby steps towards you know...... Of course there'd also be risk of European fascists uniting but that's a small one. Not because there aren't European fascists but because those fuckers are incapable of co-operating over national borders. Always the funniest thing after EP elections is waiting for the inevitable implosion of the fascist group into in-fighting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

cinci zoo sniper posted:

A bit of funny neolib maths would be to use GDP per capita in the apportionment of the seats. Money obviously is matters in politics, so we should divide the final seats by median EU GDP per capita divided by the member state's. Now, Luxembourg could become even more upset with this, but thankfully for their national pride I'm just shitposting.

Also, I'm not sure that everyone is ready for Romania's super-delegation to the EP.
You've got a decent idea going here I think, though I fine-tuned the formula a bit:

(Seats increased to 764 to match the ideal population^1/3 number of seats). It does still have the least represented get only about a seventh the representation of the most, but the Irish have had it too good for too long, while Bulgaria deserves its spot in the sun.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

I think that the Council and the EUCO are decent enough safeguards against EP, and I'm not proposing to abolish either. Council has a clear definition – a minister from every country, and thus it's fair to me. EUCO does also have a clear definition – every head of state, and thus it's also fair to me. EP, on the other hand, is “well we negotiated” + chaotic mishmash of accession-time agreements between the EU and the individual member states. I don't think it's fair to any given member state excluding like Malta and Luxembourg, maybe the Baltics. In particular, given other safeguards in place, I think it's relatively unfair to countries like Germany and France. If I were to try to sell to them (both to the national governments and to the population) an expansion of power of the power of the EP, I would expect them to take an issue with this. Especially as the scope of this hypothetical expansion of the EP power would to entrust them with a limited ability to compete with or supersede the national parliaments in some area of policymaking.

Simultaneously, I don't think it's practical to make this truly proportional, e.g., 1 candidate for 500k people, meaning 1 for Malta, 1 for Luxembourg, and 166 for Germany. I just want so that no layperson could say that 1 Luxembourgish vote equals 10 German votes. 3 maximum (sorry Antigravitas), taking U.S. Wyoming-California ratio in the Electoral College for the upper bound, and with uniform logic for everyone. For instance, let's have 1 MEP per 200k for Luxembourg, and 1 MEP per 600k for Germany, meaning final MEP counts of 3 for Luxembourg (-3/-50%) and 139 for Germany (+43/+45%). Some sort of sliding population scale between the two extremes (well, minimum population would be Malta, but you get the point) defining the population ratios for everyone else.

Furthermore, it's obvious that at least some smaller member states would be unhappy about that. To which end, I would be fine with implementing additional country-proportional checks. For instance, to make the EP bicameral, with 3 or 5 would-be senators per EU member states. Importantly, however, checks on a properly proportional parliament. My argument is that the EP is a proportional parliament done poorly, and that it's unreasonable to dare expect a consensus on expanding its powers before it's redone correctly.
That's fair. I do like the idea of transnational lists, which would perhaps also facility letting Germans have more of a say? Like, in a more integrated Europe, even just cross-border regional lists could break up the idea of parliamentarians serving specific countries a bit. Like, sometimes the development of certain regions matter more to neighboring states than the state they're a part of. I'm thinking specifically parts of northern Germany from the perspective of the Danish state, but I'm sure there are other examples. Seven regions where Germans have a lot of influence, but with different focuses, might be a lot more palatable to other European states than one united around whichever parts of Germany that has managed to dominate its politics.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You've got a decent idea going here I think, though I fine-tuned the formula a bit:

(Seats increased to 764 to match the ideal population^1/3 number of seats). It does still have the least represented get only about a seventh the representation of the most, but the Irish have had it too good for too long, while Bulgaria deserves its spot in the sun.
:eyepop:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's fair. I do like the idea of transnational lists, which would perhaps also facility letting Germans have more of a say? Like, in a more integrated Europe, even just cross-border regional lists could break up the idea of parliamentarians serving specific countries a bit. Like, sometimes the development of certain regions matter more to neighboring states than the state they're a part of. I'm thinking specifically parts of northern Germany from the perspective of the Danish state, but I'm sure there are other examples. Seven regions where Germans have a lot of influence, but with different focuses, might be a lot more palatable to other European states than one united around whichever parts of Germany that has managed to dominate its politics.
To be honest, I can't say that I get the transnational lists, but I wouldn't at all be opposed to anyone trying to do honest work. I'm ambivalent to the idea, so as long as other people like it, and it doesn't see Bulgarians competing with Germans euro for euro, why not. Basically, as I said a few posts earlier – “law should cover literally everything – from the electoral mechanism, to counting votes, to the allowed advertising, to the candidate funding, to everything else your average national regulation covers” – if we can get the process to that level of quality, sure. There are quite a few of things you can experiment with then, or that at least that I wouldn't take an issue with.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011
Has there been any serious considerations for changing EP elections so that countries elect their MEPs at the same time as their general election? At the very least it would help increase participation. Or is there some flaw with it that Im not seeing?

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Adding a mixed member system to the EP for transnational lists could also work for this.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

Communist Zombie posted:

Has there been any serious considerations for changing EP elections so that countries elect their MEPs at the same time as their general election? At the very least it would help increase participation. Or is there some flaw with it that Im not seeing?

I don't think so. You'd have ever changing parliament thanks to different election cycles in 27 countries, so the parliamentary groups and their balance would change constantly which would make parliamentary work more difficult.

And naturally synchronizing national elections for 27 members for EP elections would be an impossible hassle.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

any european parliament election with real stakes would see serious spending by special interests in setting up parties in relatively cheap polities to drive engagement. there would be no way to avoid this without putting the cart before the horse, i.e. by introducing a bunch of election rules which supercedes the national law of the countries in question, which would again be fought tooth and nail for obvious reasons.

i really do not think that any meaningful european reform towards democratisation is realistic in the short or medium terms (or, more pessimistically, ever). there is no clear and viable path towards a comprehensive reform of the kind people are envisioning here, even under the very best realistic circumstances (everyone fundamentally agrees that something like this has to happen, everyone acts more or less in good faith). the EU you have is the EU you get, basically.

there is almost always a good reason why things are as they are. if things seem bad to you, it's probably because some system is producing outcomes which you don't like - but which someone else does. there is a polity for the present EU dysfunction relative to any other system, and any discussion about how to change the EU absolutely cannot afford to ignore discussing this polity.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005
I'd characterize current form of EU more as a result from a huge international tug of war that has created a pan-European polity that really doesn't know what to do. The early form was simple enough, like European Coal and Steel Community and later European Economic Community. You could see the intent and purpose of policies and the institutions clearly then. But with every step of evolution and every enlargement, the political battle has become more and more complex. From pragmatic economic co-operation that guaranteed peace between France and Germany with massive amount of mutual political will, EU has transformed into market and customs union trying to compete with big global players to an attempt of real political union. Now we get ideological differences, with neoliberalism being dominant, we have utopian federalists wanting more integration, eurosceptics from all over the spectrum (from opposing any further integration to wanting to reduce EU power to straight up wanting to leave the Union), we have stress from different approaches to foreign policy like immigration from outside of Europe etc. and then of course crises like war in Ukraine and economic depression.

EU really is a huge tottering political mess where no one is willing to shake things up because the end result could just as likely end up toppling the whole mess as it would end up fixing it. So I don't think EU as it currently stands is an outcome anyone is really happy with, more like a barely acceptable compromise, the end result of very differing interest groups vying for their vision.

Only thing keeping this together is unwillingness of nation states to rock the boat and funnily enough foreign trade matters (this is really one dimension where European countries most often find a happy consensus fast, gotta be strong against Chinese, Americans etc. It's reflected in one area where EU can and is willing to throw its weight around, trade negotiations).

This is seen in this talk about democratization of EU. Because the way I see it, EU is pretty democratic in the end. European parliament is straight up elected and the real power brokers in European council are formed by elected heads of government of member states. The Commission is one organ that could be seen having democratic deficit because they are chosen in backrooms by the member states so they'd be at least once removed from democratic process.

The problem I see is that the European democracy is paralyzed because there are too many democratically elected polities vying for their interests through the real power in European Council. You can't have a coherent policy when there are 27 member states fighting it out. And no one (other than mostly irrelevant federalists) is willing to push for more power to the parliament or to democratize the Commission so it is a question between nation states and EU integration. Democratization of EU would directly mean the loss of power nation states and that is something that not many people want, myself included.

But it is funny to see some eurosceptics moaning about how undemocratic EU is in one breath and then defending the power of nation state against EU encroachment in another. You really can't have democratized EU with powerful nation states.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I do wonder if the EU would've been better off not expanding in the 90s and then instead worked on consolidating the members it did have into something closer to a federalized state.

e:
Then once that's "matured" it could start expanding. Then anyone joining would have had to vote for "will we join this federation?". The current method does feel shifty, like we're joining on this premise and then changing it once in. I can't say I liked or like the idea of federalization much tbh given my perspective on the EU and general world view (which is an odd one), though the russian invasion, and the world changing into what looks to be a US and chinese block and them likely carving everyone else up between them, I kinda feel the need now for a somewhat unified europe.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Mar 24, 2023

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Yeah, I know the feeling of being shocked by your own intelligence and insight. Just look at how balanced the top is, allowing proper inter-state anarchy. Have you considered working in the EU?

I do wonder if the EU would've been better off not expanding in the 90s and then instead worked on consolidating the members it did have into something closer to a federalized state.

e:
Then once that's "matured" it could start expanding. Then anyone joining would have had to vote for "will we join this federation?". The current method does feel shifty, like we're joining on this premise and then changing it once in. I can't say I liked or like the idea of federalization much tbh given my perspective on the EU and general world view (which is an odd one), though the russian invasion, and the world changing into what looks to be a US and chinese block and them likely carving everyone else up between them, I kinda feel the need now for a somewhat unified europe.
Or it could have taken seriously the idea of a multi-speed Europe. One speed that's explicitly working towards federalization, one that's taking a more wait-and-see approach, and one that's basically the EFTA. Like:

European Union: Explicit outlined as working towards federation, with no further expansion allowed until it had created enough common structures (monetary, fiscal, welfare, defense) that any country that chose to join would be under no illusion about what they signed up for. Maybe even requiring a supermajority of some sort for any referendum of ascension, just to make absolutely sure that no later joiners don't muck everything up.
European Community: Shares a parliament with the EU, and votes on the same laws, but if the EU EPs agree on something it becomes law there, even if the EC votes it down. Outside specifically poo poo like regulations, where it's important that things are unified from the start.
European Free Trade Association: Basically the same.

Of course there's not really a reason you couldn't do that now, as long as you didn't let the countries that don't want the first sabotage everything.

Glah
Jun 21, 2005

I can't say I liked or like the idea of federalization much tbh given my perspective on the EU and general world view (which is an odd one), though the russian invasion, and the world changing into what looks to be a US and chinese block and them likely carving everyone else up between them, I kinda feel the need now for a somewhat unified europe.

I feel you. My views about what direction EU should take are incoherent mess compared to every other political subject. I know that EU is a huge mess and am really skeptical about it encroaching our nation states but at the same time I see the global situation and realize that something 'needs to be done' about European unity. But it brings some comfort to know that I'm not alone with these views, after all it seems that even the biggest power brokers in Europe share this dilemma and are just as paralyzed.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How did the US get to this point? It also started out as a loose union of colonies, with many famously lovely compromises and weak central government to get everyone onboard. The outcome is also pretty sub-optimal as we can see though.

I can't really think of any shortcut but slowly eroding the importance of the nation states over time, otherwise there'll always be some euroskeptics ready to derail everything.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 24, 2023

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Since the US went on its world policeman bender 20 odd years ago, and bullied plenty of its allies along for the ride, its been fairly clear the EU needs to unify or its constituent member states will be effective vassals to the US/China. No EU state has enough heft on the global stage to stand independently.

We have recent very good examples of the benefits of unity - look at covid vaccines for a great example of how EU group action achieved so much more than individual states fighting with each other would have. Or GDPR for the benefits of the large single market forcing companies to comply with something they'd ignore (or lobby successfully against) if it was only in place in one country.

It remains to be seen how things evolve but as things stand theres a real chance the EU emerges as a third superpower over the next century. Not a perfect one by any measure, but at least one which is far more respecting of human rights than either of the other two.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

How did the US get to this point? It also started out as a loose union of colonies, with many famously lovely compromises and weak central government to get everyone onboard. The outcome is also pretty sub-optimal as we can see though.

I can't really think of any shortcut but slowly eroding the importance of the nation states over time, otherwise there'll always be some euroskeptics ready to derail everything.

Civil war is the answer - the indervidual State governments were more important than the Federal governments for most citizens, and defined their identities more. Then the ACW happen, and the federal government expands massively to fight the war and try and govern the Southern states afterwards.

Needless to say this will hopefully not be the path of the EU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Civil war is the answer - the indervidual State governments were more important than the Federal governments for most citizens, and defined their identities more. Then the ACW happen, and the federal government expands massively to fight the war and try and govern the Southern states afterwards.

When the US first became independent, it was a loose confederation for about 10 years - the Articles of Confederation were adopted in 1777.

In this system, the federal government was clearly subservient to the states, i.e., if it needed money, it had to go ask the states.

This clearly didn't work, so ten years later they came back and wrote the modern constitution (adopted in 1787) which gave the US federal government a list of specific powers.