Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

the talent deficit posted:

vancouver released a statement about pride night that pointedly did not mention warm up jerseys so everyone is assuming they're not going to wear them

i can't decide if it would be funnier if it's to protect kuzmenko or if it's to protect jt miller

JT Miller has worn them before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

ThinkTank posted:

Connor's dangles are sweeter than black licorice

Are gummy candies as popular with kids in Canada as the US? Gummy hockey sticks branded as "Connor's Dangles" could make a buck.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The only things I've seen McDavid attach his likeness to are biosteel, a terrible car sale app and a gambling website.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Can't forget terrible interior design as well

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
Millionaires who do ads for gambling are a special kind of lovely.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

I like how Bet365 chose Aaron Paul to do theirs like "REPROBATE JESSE PINKMAN, METH ADDICT, IS TELLING ME TO GAMBLE, THIS IS GOOD AND A GOOD IDEA"

even as someone who does some betting, I find all the line information and betting poo poo inbetween periods and the ads insufferable and over the top. Like honestly, if you're line betting the total over under into the 3rd period, I don't think you need betting advertising to get them to blow all their money.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Mar 23, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Koth posted:

Millionaires who do ads for gambling are a special kind of lovely.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
The Blazers wore their pride jerseys for the whole game against the T-Birds too (and beat them) because they are great (ignore the embezzling scandal of the early 2000's please)

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/FlaPanthers/status/1638935584000360449?t=CRoVCQw2fGdshTVvS-S-kQ&s=19

Meatball gonna pop

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK
I'm sure the "don't say gay" state will handle it well and nothing political will arise from this

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Misanthrope posted:

I'm sure the "don't say gay" state will handle it well and nothing political will arise from this

frankly I'm not entirely certain DeSantis even knows the NHL exists

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Rob is too busy running a failed start to a presidential campaign.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

frankly I'm not entirely certain DeSantis even knows the NHL exists

He does, he's already sassed the Panthers (well, the NHL) for who they invited to a job fair.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

ThinkTank posted:

The only things I've seen McDavid attach his likeness to are biosteel, a terrible car sale app and a gambling website.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

The marketing heights of the most talented individual in pro sports at the moment.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ThinkTank posted:

The marketing heights of the most talented individual in pro sports at the moment.

I think you're incorrect, I bet Shohei Ohtani is much better at selling things in his home country.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

I love the Panthers so much. Wild that Vinnie Viola, Trump's nominee for Secretary of the Army, is signing off on poo poo like this and the job fair. Very cool.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
man first he's bench pressing nets and now he's

https://twitter.com/nickbarden/status/1638718920495448067

Askarov loving rules

e: forgot he also got in a fight earlier this year. Nashville getting to have a crazy goalie and a tiny fun goalie is a little unfair, gotta spread that poo poo out

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 23, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pungry posted:

I love the Panthers so much. Wild that Vinnie Viola, Trump's nominee for Secretary of the Army, is signing off on poo poo like this and the job fair. Very cool.

The good thing about bullshit like this is that it makes it obvious which orgs are decent and which ones are garbage.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

From Mark Lazarus/Athletic here's what's still to come.

Oilers, March 25: The Oilers will not be wearing Pride jerseys in warmups. They never have, per The Athletic’s Daniel Nugent-Bowman.
I do wish they would wear Pride jerseys. But credit where it's due, they use PrideTape, which was developed in Edmonton and popularized by (former terrible Oilers dman) Andrew Ference. And the 50/50 on Saturday supports MacEwan University's centre for sexual and gender diversity.

e: I work with MacEwan and getting several hundred thousand to a million dollars for that program is a Big Deal.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Mar 23, 2023

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

pseudodragon posted:

The good thing about bullshit like this is that it makes it obvious which orgs are decent and which ones are garbage.

Considering how much they all leech off taxpayer money to fill their Scrooge McDuck vaults, they're all garbage. Some just more than others.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

pseudodragon posted:

Lol none of the orgs or owners are decent. Let’s not give a pass to the worlds shittiest people because they did something they should be doing anyway. I‘m sure these owners who are “allowing” pride night jerseys are supporting and donating to those in power who are building the framework to genocide trans people.

Edit:

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

T-Bone posted:

man first he's bench pressing nets and now he's

https://twitter.com/nickbarden/status/1638718920495448067

Askarov loving rules

HASEK COMING OUT

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Melnyk bought the Sens 20 years ago for $92mil and the team is apparently being sold for north of $950mil now, player salaries have risen accordingly I assu-

Reading about a few of the ownership groups making bids for the Senators, and having a group of investors rather than a singular Melnyk-type should in theory mean that the group will hire somebody competent to be President/GM and not meddle with team operations…right?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Scoring 60 and pacing for a lot more is obviously a big deal, but what I’m most impressed with watching McDavid is his ability to zip passes around the zone while in full flight, he needs barely any time to get the puck off his stick in seemingly any direction where a lot of guys would take time to gather and look. It looks so insanely hard to defend knowing that he could turn on the jets any second and blow past you too.

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Matt Zerella posted:

Considering how much they all leech off taxpayer money to fill their Scrooge McDuck vaults, they're all garbage. Some just more than others.

WeaponX posted:

Lol none of the orgs or owners are decent. Let’s not give a pass to the worlds shittiest people because they did something they should be doing anyway. I‘m sure these owners who are “allowing” pride night jerseys are supporting and donating to those in power who are building the framework to genocide trans people.

Thanks guys. I'll go back to never feeling good about anything ever.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!

The Dirty Burger posted:

Melnyk bought the Sens 20 years ago for $92mil and the team is apparently being sold for north of $950mil now, player salaries have risen accordingly I assu-

Reading about a few of the ownership groups making bids for the Senators, and having a group of investors rather than a singular Melnyk-type should in theory mean that the group will hire somebody competent to be President/GM and not meddle with team operations…right?

Similar group bought the Kraken, and we ended up with Ron Francis and Dave Hakstol in charge. So... make of that what you will.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In this capitalist hellscape you gotta take the victories you can. A team loudly wearing pride night jerseys is a good thing regardless of the motivations of the plutocrats running the show.

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

xzzy posted:

In this capitalist hellscape you gotta take the victories you can. A team loudly wearing pride night jerseys is a good thing regardless of the motivations of the plutocrats running the show.

and honestly the best thing you can get billionaires to do is to pay athletes money and enjoy the team like they're kids playing real GM rather than, like, funding 100,000 FedSoc jurists to take over the courts

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Pungry posted:

Thanks guys. I'll go back to never feeling good about anything ever.

There's nothing wrong with being happy about Pride Night. It's awesome and I'm incredibly angry at Dolan for cancelling it in the city that is home to the Stonewall riots.

But one corporate whitewashing night doesn't make the shitbags who own these teams good. Broken clock, etc.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I did get a kick out of McDavid's 60th because after failing to score on the first breakaway on that shift he slammed his stick so hard against the boards that he nearly broke it. He's lucky it didn't.

Koopa Kid posted:

Scoring 60 and pacing for a lot more is obviously a big deal, but what I’m most impressed with watching McDavid is his ability to zip passes around the zone while in full flight, he needs barely any time to get the puck off his stick in seemingly any direction where a lot of guys would take time to gather and look. It looks so insanely hard to defend knowing that he could turn on the jets any second and blow past you too.

He's scoring at basically Gretzky levels. Legitimately. If you adjust 80s scoring levels to now putting up 160 points is basically a Gretzky season.

What he's doing is absurd

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The owners don’t always have anything to do with the team besides having their accountants autopen the checks.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

The Dirty Burger posted:

oh you sweet child

It really depends. You can be too hands-off, which happened with the Phillies for a very long time. They had a large ownership group that nobody ever heard from unless one of them died, as the team kept finishing under .500 year after year.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

I think you're incorrect, I bet Shohei Ohtani is much better at selling things in his home country.

Ohtani is more unique/versatile for sure but McDavid had 38 more points than anyone in the league who's not his direct linemate. Jason Tatum currently leads the NBA in points with 2044 to Embiid's 1958. To be an equivalent distance ahead of his peers as McDavid is, Tatum would need 2702 points or 658 more than he currently has. That's an improvement of 9.6ppg over his current rate of 33.2ppg, so 42.8ppg. That would be the best per game rate of anyone not named Wilt Chamberlain and 5pts better a game than Jordan ever accomplished. We're not comparing apples to apples here really, but it gives you a sense of what McDavid is doing.

It's not just a result of the recent uptick in scoring we've seen league wide either. He is on pace to lead the league in scoring by 29 points (44 over 3rd place Kucherov). The last time anyone lead the league by a greater amount was Lemieux in 1988/89 as part of his 199 point season, and that was just 2 points better (31 ahead of Gretzky and 44 ahead of Yzerman). The average amount of points the top scorer had over second place between then and now was 9.4 points.

Say what you want about McDavid, but he is very, very talented offensively. I think it's safe to say he's right up there with Lemieux for the second most talented scoring forward ever.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'd bet $365 that McDavid's career surpasses Gretzky's (era-adjusted).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

eXXon posted:

I see what you did there, GSP.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Ohtani is more unique/versatile for sure but McDavid had 38 more points than anyone in the league who's not his direct linemate. Jason Tatum currently leads the NBA in points with 2044 to Embiid's 1958. To be an equivalent distance ahead of his peers as McDavid is, Tatum would need 2702 points or 658 more than he currently has. That's an improvement of 9.6ppg over his current rate of 33.2ppg, so 42.8ppg. That would be the best per game rate of anyone not named Wilt Chamberlain and 5pts better a game than Jordan ever accomplished. We're not comparing apples to apples here really, but it gives you a sense of what McDavid is doing.

It's not just a result of the recent uptick in scoring we've seen league wide either. He is on pace to lead the league in scoring by 29 points (44 over 3rd place Kucherov). The last time anyone lead the league by a greater amount was Lemieux in 1988/89 as part of his 199 point season, and that was just 2 points better (31 ahead of Gretzky and 44 ahead of Yzerman). The average amount of points the top scorer had over second place between then and now was 9.4 points.

Say what you want about McDavid, but he is very, very talented offensively. I think it's safe to say he's right up there with Lemieux for the second most talented scoring forward ever.

Thank you for your service

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

eXXon posted:

Maybe if McDavid plays into his 40s and has unnatural longevity he'll surpass the adjusted total. Gretzky was and will remain the most talented hockey player of all time. I did a bigger post in the past on him, but the number that best summarizes it is how for a six year stretch in the 80s he lead the league by an average of 73 points. In 83/84 he had 205 points, the next highest scorer was Coffey with 127. Excluding Gretzky, the average scoring lead has ranged from a handful of points to the low thirties on a couple occasions for pretty much the entirety of the past sixty years. For more than half a decade Gretzky consistently had a scoring leading two and a half times better than anyone else had accomplished in the history of the sport.

I get the gambling joke

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Thank you for your service

I would like to emphasize that it firmly sucks preaching the truth sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

Maybe if McDavid plays into his 40s and has unnatural longevity he'll surpass the adjusted total. Gretzky was and will remain the most talented hockey player of all time. I did a bigger post in the past on him, but the number that best summarizes it is how for a six year stretch in the 80s he lead the league by an average of 73 points. In 83/84 he had 205 points, the next highest scorer was Coffey with 127. Excluding Gretzky, the average scoring lead has ranged from a handful of points to the low thirties on a couple occasions for pretty much the entirety of the past sixty years. For more than half a decade Gretzky consistently had a scoring leading two and a half times better than anyone else had accomplished in the history of the sport.

I get the gambling joke

Ya I've mentioned this before but should McDavid lead Leon by 32+ points its better than any scoring difference outside of peak Gretzky and that's kind of unfathomable.