Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ofecks posted:

How do you play 1-3? GBC emulation?

I played them via the remasters on the switch, you can pick them up for a few bucks on sale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

JustJeff88 posted:

Has anyone played the GBC version of 3? I haven't, but it is the most complete version as far as I know. I've always described it as 'twaful' because visually it looks somewhere between 'twee' and 'awful'.

Yes, I bought it when it was new. 'Twaful' is incorrect. It is one of the best-looking, sounding, and playing GBC games. I'm amazed what they managed to do with that hardware.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Referring to Nob Ogasawara as a goon is a bit lol

They were likely referring to SA forums poster "Doug Dinsdale". And, FWIW, the translation is fine given the tech limitations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
n/m

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 23, 2023

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

kirbysuperstar posted:

somehow I had never actually looked up the full scope of Nob's translation work

Lifeline lmao

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Yeah, that's why I said it.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I also played the GBC version on cart and had a fine time with it. If you play it emulated on most modern smartphones, the relative screen size will even be about right!

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I couldn’t wait any longer for a possible port and started up DQ9 on an emulator. Was tempted to buy a copy of the game and either find my ds or buy a 3ds for it but whatever. Anyways is the game supposed to be somewhat choppy running around once you get your party members?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't recall DQ9 being particularly choppy but I'll have to boot up my copy and see. It would be interesting to see how/if they ever port it. I never put too much time into it because I was really put off by the grotto system.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Social Animal posted:

I couldn’t wait any longer for a possible port and started up DQ9 on an emulator. Was tempted to buy a copy of the game and either find my ds or buy a 3ds for it but whatever. Anyways is the game supposed to be somewhat choppy running around once you get your party members?

I played it on emulator recently and didn't notice anything egregious. Played on the WiiU via ROM injection fwiw, which definitely has had spotty issues with other DS dragon quest games. IX was totally fine.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Interesting I’ll have to check my settings. Game was running fine until my party was filled out. The music plays without any hitches so that’s why I was thinking it’s just how the game is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Ofecks posted:

They were likely referring to SA forums poster "Doug Dinsdale".

Yes, that's Nob

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Social Animal posted:

I played it on 3ds and don't remember any choppiness.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

SettingSun posted:

I still have my original cart. It's was a great way to play back then. It is the most "complete" in the sense it has the most features. Monster medals, pachisi, and the second bonus dungeon. But it looks crappy because of the small screen real estate. You can really do without the medals and the second dungeon, but I HATE that the iOS version (which is what I just finished the teaparty on) lacks pachisi.

Because of the 'completeness' of that version, I am hoping that the Switch version, if indeed it ever comes out, is based off of it. There's no reason not to have all of the game features. If people don't want to collect Monster Medals, don't.

Ofecks posted:

Yes, I bought it when it was new. 'Twaful' is incorrect. It is one of the best-looking, sounding, and playing GBC games. I'm amazed what they managed to do with that hardware.

I still don't think it looks good overall, but it does have tweeness which helps offset that. The GBC game that most impressed me visually was Shantae, but I'm sure glad that that's on Swich too now.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The monster animations are very fluid, even if every monster only has one and there's a lot of palette swaps, it's still cool

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I can't believe that there's been no real effort to make most of the DQ games available on modern systems, is the series not as popular as it used to be in Japan maybe? You'd think 8 would be available on the PS4 at the very least. I went to the DQ cafe in Tokyo last month and I was the only one there the entire time, but they just opened up a little theme park in Japan a couple years ago so there must still be a decent fan base.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

DQ is in a weird spot right now. Both DQ12 and DQ3 2DHD are currently MIA.

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

SettingSun posted:

DQ is in a weird spot right now. Both DQ12 and DQ3 2DHD are currently MIA.

I keep thinking there's been an update because there's new posts but every time it's someone asking a question about DQVII lol

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
My completely uneducated guess is that there is a problem dealing with the old racists estate and the rights to his music or something stupid like that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just assume they announced they were working on a new game 5 years too early to have anything to show people.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Final Fnatasy is getting 1-6 pixel remasters releases on Switch and PS4/5 soon. Updated graphics with an ugly font, but they all have trophies on Playstation.

I'd pay so much money for a DQ collection with trophies on PS5. Like I would even buy a wacky expensive physical collector's edition(the Final Fantasy one is like 250 bucks).

It's easy money. I don't get why they don't do it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Why is it so hard to make a good font tho

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah I’m content to emulate DQ4-6 and 9 if I have to but it’s kind of bizarre there haven’t been any attempts to release them on systems other than mobile. I kind of hope that since the 3DS eShop is dying soon they take that as a sign to do something with 7 and 8 but it’s so weird that they’re not slamming it on everything the way they do with Final Fantasy.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Is hope they actually have a level of quality to any DQ remasters. This series is actually worth the esteem it's held to

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ran Rannerson posted:

Yeah I’m content to emulate DQ4-6 and 9 if I have to but it’s kind of bizarre there haven’t been any attempts to release them on systems other than mobile. I kind of hope that since the 3DS eShop is dying soon they take that as a sign to do something with 7 and 8 but it’s so weird that they’re not slamming it on everything the way they do with Final Fantasy.
I wonder if the DQ3 remake might be a testbed for an engine for similar remakes of the other 2D Dragon Quests going forward. Like, if the DQ3 remake (one of the most popular DQ games in Japan IIRC, to the point where its generic class character designs are frequently used as a default "fantasy adventurer party") sells well they'll invest more effort in remaking other games in that engine.

That said, yeah I'd like them to port 7-9 to other consoles, but 9 might require the full remake treatment with how their proto-Streetpass setup and the mix of 2D and 3D assets worked in that game. They kinda missed their chance to give DQ9 a glow-up with the death of the 3DS, TBH.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 24, 2023

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gaius Marius posted:

Is hope they actually have a level of quality to any DQ remasters. This series is actually worth the esteem it's held to

yeah i'm hoping it's at least as good as live a live. you'd think DQ of all things could get a blank check to do high effort remakes but....welp

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I'm being utterly serious when I say that, sometimes, I think that Squeenix is pulling a Konami where they don't want to make games anymore and would rather make cheap toys and gacha machines or whatever the gently caress they're called. Konami used to have great properties and they have gone utterly to hell. Pro Evolution Soccer used to lap FIFA in terms of actually being a good football game, but now it's dreadful and they seem to have no interest in being a game company.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

you are insane and wrong lmao

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I bought recent SE releases octopath traveler 2 and the $100 version of theaterythmn and they both own. Also there's like a whole new final fantasy being made literally right now along with the FF7 remake mega franchise typhoon that is currently happening to us (unwillingly)

so yeah I have to agree with kirby's diagnosis, op

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Company that dropped the subsidiary that was bleeding money and then put out like six to eight smaller budget cool experimental titles alongside some big hitters in the last 12 months with an upcoming mainline final fantasy, I just don't think they want to make games anymore

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

JustJeff88 posted:

I'm being utterly serious when I say that, sometimes, I think that Squeenix is pulling a Konami where they don't want to make games anymore and would rather make cheap toys and gacha machines or whatever the gently caress they're called. Konami used to have great properties and they have gone utterly to hell. Pro Evolution Soccer used to lap FIFA in terms of actually being a good football game, but now it's dreadful and they seem to have no interest in being a game company.

They released like 500 mid budget games last year. they released so many games that most people probably don't remember 75% of them

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Square Enix did an FMV game last year. Just doing weird poo poo that'll never be big hits cause they can I guess

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Hell Paranormasight was like two weeks ago

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Now as for Konami, yeah they should really sell the Castlevania IP to the dead cells developers and gently caress off to pachinkoland forever

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hell Paranormasight was like two weeks ago

Apparently that game kicks rear end and basically got no press outside Japan

Honestly you can argue that SE's problem is that they're putting too many games out and half of the ones that are actually good get little to no advertisement

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Perhaps they want to make games too much........

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
Part of me wonders if they want another Nier Automata style success, making a game on a relatively lower budget and have it do gangbusters, but I really feel that was lightning in a bottle that you can't catch twice, especially one you can't force.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The mobile/Switch version of 3 is really the only time they've ever skimped on a Dragon Quest remake. More often they get a really significant overhaul and Yuji Horii is personally involved.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

I just assume they announced they were working on a new game 5 years too early to have anything to show people.

they did this with XI too, remember it was the first game ever announced for the Nintendo NX!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I keep forgetting XI was initially a 3DS game too. Which seems really loving impressive given the scope of that game, unless the 3D mode is like, super bad compared to the console version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

I keep forgetting XI was initially a 3DS game too. Which seems really loving impressive given the scope of that game, unless the 3D mode is like, super bad compared to the console version.

It's completely different. The 2D mode in that is also not quite the same as 2D mode in XI S.