Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I love walking into my Hobby Lobby to check their stock and taking persistent psychic damage like I'm in a Dark Souls poison swamp.

There was an RG Exia, which was tempting, but outside impulse buy range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
Is there a set day of the week that new items get added? I get a million emails from P-Bandai, but never an email telling me about upcoming pre-orders (the only email that I would actually want). The MG GM Cannon and a bunch of other stuff went up yesterday and I had no idea until today.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I love walking into my Hobby Lobby to check their stock and taking persistent psychic damage like I'm in a Dark Souls poison swamp.

I hate the fact that there are no "well stocked" hobby stores around me. If I want tools, the only choice is Hobby Lobby or Michaels and the selection is pretty bad. The only other small shop near me is primarily for the RC crowd, and their tool and paint section is worse than the big box stores. The only thing they have going for them from my perspective is the selection of models (the stuff in the planes and tanks section sometimes being old enough to be vintage) and the rubbermaid container full of orphaned water slide sheets.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Tergaso posted:

Is there a set day of the week that new items get added? I get a million emails from P-Bandai, but never an email telling me about upcoming pre-orders (the only email that I would actually want).

There is not, and they don’t seem to give a single poo poo about informing you beforehand (I’ve heard their Instagram sometimes does, maybe? I don’t use IG.)

I usually get my heads-up from the Gundam Shoppers Network FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/gundamshoppersnetwork/posts/6067274356700043/?comment_id=6067282446699234

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

This will be of no help but the hobby town I went to had a decent selection of rgs and mgs. Granted the only high grades were stuff like the psyco Gundam...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

This will be of no help but the hobby town I went to had a decent selection of rgs and mgs. Granted the only high grades were stuff like the psyco Gundam...

The Hobby Town in my area closed in 2016 or thereabouts. They actually had a good selection, and I'm keenly feeling the loss now as I start looking closer and closer at diorama building because they had the best selection of model train stuff in the area.

They also had a decent selection of paint. No good lacquer to speak of, but they had both Tamiya acrylics and Testors enamel, the former of which the big boxes in my area just don't seem to stock.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Last time I went to a Hobbytown was five six years ago. I had to grab a bottle of some flavor of red real quick. Thought it was gonna be a real in and out situation; what I got was the woman, who was also the owner, who checked me out breaking down crying because they were going to have to sell the shop and the fairgrounds wasn't letting them set up their full model train setup next year and the city wanted them to fix the hosed up sidewalk out front.

It was the most awkward moment I've ever had in a checkout line, and pretty much confirmed I'd not return to that location ever again.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Waffleman_ posted:

Didn't they buy a shitload of artifacts from out of Iraq and there's a good chance most of that money made it into ISIS hands?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Yeah all that's within a reasonable drive from me is a Hobby Lobby and I guess I did avail myself of the random 40% sale they had going on model kits when I walked in there but I really would rather just not give them any money from here on out

Detestable politics of the company aside they put all the modeling stuff in the exact back of the store, guaranteeing that I have to walk through all the LiveLaughLove/SoftChristoFascist decorations/tchotchkes

In fact ALL of the actual art/craft stuff is at the back of the store so you'll have to wade thru the ocean of cheap trash to get to it like going all the way to the back of a grocery store to get eggs

Closest thing I've got that isn't that is an art store that has a good quarter of its floorspace taken over by WH40K miniatures and painting supplies and a weird little model train store that also has some paints and vintage plastic model kits

Monkey Fracas fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Mar 23, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

MillennialVulcan posted:

Didn't they buy a shitload of artifacts from out of Iraq and there's a good chance most of that money made it into ISIS hands?

They don't use barcodes because the founder thinks they're the mark of the beast

And yeah, I have a few more hobby stores in the city, but most of them are a decent drive.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Mar 24, 2023

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

would you support isis if it meant getting cool model kits? the hathaway's flash novels explore this conundrum

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hobbytown USA stores are all more or less independent so each one stocks different things, though a single owner may have several stores.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Stairmaster posted:

would you support isis if it meant getting cool model kits? the hathaway's flash novels explore this conundrum
If we got an MG Woundwort (Ver. Isis) with a cool desert cape I would buy it no matter how many no-fly lists it put me on.

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

If you get me a Kapool I'll get you into the embassy :ninja:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Feeling pretty happy with myself this morning, managed to snag a pre-order for an MG Barbatos. I'm thinking about trying my hand at an actual diorama of it standing over a crushed MS or tank or something. I've seen effects like warped/crushed chassis and exposed wiring before, is there any guide to techniques like that?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pierson posted:

Feeling pretty happy with myself this morning, managed to snag a pre-order for an MG Barbatos. I'm thinking about trying my hand at an actual diorama of it standing over a crushed MS or tank or something. I've seen effects like warped/crushed chassis and exposed wiring before, is there any guide to techniques like that?

I don't know about any guides, but if you look around there are lots of videos of people making dioramas out there that can point you in the right direction. Here's one of someone making a scene of a U-Boat being sunk by depth charges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXaaoLc85vs

edit: The thing to take note of is in the first part when he's dremeling the sub in half, thinning the walls, and using wire cutters to cut and deform the plastic around where the hull is cracked in two.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Mar 24, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1639255761753890816?t=M81CzLnhl0FJ9N9MRA2-tw&s=19

If you want an Aerial for a few bucks off

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Warmachine posted:

I don't know about any guides, but if you look around there are lots of videos of people making dioramas out there that can point you in the right direction. Here's one of someone making a scene of a U-Boat being sunk by depth charges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXaaoLc85vs

edit: The thing to take note of is in the first part when he's dremeling the sub in half, thinning the walls, and using wire cutters to cut and deform the plastic around where the hull is cracked in two.
Hell yeah thanks!

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pierson posted:

Hell yeah thanks!

The usual caveats apply: try your technique on something you don't care about first.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Difficult for me since all my MGs are precious children I simply can't bear to experiment on. Guess it's time to invest in some cheap HGs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Pierson posted:

Difficult for me since all my MGs are precious children I simply can't bear to experiment on. Guess it's time to invest in some cheap HGs.

The dramatic standing on a defeated foe is a fairly common thing in miniatures

That last guy is standing on the shoulder of one of these

I think the main thing is figure out what pose you want your Barbatos to be in, play around with the kits until you've figured out a position for your dead robot that will fit that pose, and then cut/sand the back off the dead robot so it'll sit flush with the base

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I think it'll probably have to be some kind of tank tbh because there are not many 1/100 IBO grunt suits out there and people seem to want £100 for a Graze Custom (lol). That does make me think about little soldier dudes crawling away that might work if I could get the scales to match. Anyway all this is in the future 'cause I have so much to finish already.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kitbash a 1/100 tank. Zvezda kits are cheap and look like what they're supposed to be,

https://militarymodeldepot.com/collections/zvezda/1-100-scale

In other news, I've got my VF-19 build through the first leg. It's still a really sweet build, minus a couple of ambiguous assembly diagrams due to the shaded instead of colored diagrams. I would also have accepted simple line art. Your sticker, masking, or marker game had better be on point when you do the legs.

It's still a 9/10 kit for me, one of the nicest kits I've ever built and that's with the unforced errors in the instructions. The fit and detail is at the top of the HG scale.

There's a VF-29 due in September that I already have pre-ordered. If everyone gets on the bandwagon, there will be plenty more!

https://www.gundamplanet.com/hg-1-100-yf-29-durandal-valkyrie-alto-saotome-use.html

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

First attempt at casting a silicone gatling gun belt failed. I think it came down to a lovely mold release agent not preventing the silicone from bonding with the silicone. Going to try again tomorrow with different techniques.

The pieces that DID come out came out well... it's just it came out in pieces or not at all.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

Nullkigan posted:

Just cleaned the panel lining on an entire (unpainted) kit with a SINGLE tamiya swab. The gently caress is this magic?

It's still got the point, and if I leave it for a few seconds the ink gets drawn into the 'core' of the swab leaving the tips fairly clean to continue with. In contast, I'd have used a dozen or more generic swabs from the supermarket. Even with the tamiya premium this works out cheaper and I've not had to reapply any lines afterwards either.

(Admittedly by the end I was leaving some very light staining on the last couple of parts, but I don't really mind as it's mostly hidden areas - I might do a second pass on the middle of the flat surfaces with the cheap swabs if I'm feeling fancy)

Thanks for this post.
I had been getting more and more frustrated using Q-tips to clean up panel lining. I got some of the super fine Tamiya swabs and they're so much better. I can actually pinpoint the spot I want to clean up, not just swipe over and hope it works. And they don't fray out and become useless almost right away.
The really fine swabs don't seem to soak up the ink like your post, but I can just go over smears with a Q-tip after and clean that up. Next time I buy tools I'm getting a few sizes and switching over 100%.

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
What do people generally say about the non-aerial WfM kits? I kinda want Bob’s Darilbalde, and it has a stand for its legs to shoot lasers where I don’t think the Pharact does for its stun gundbits.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Grabbed the RG Hi Nu this week since everyone suggested it. Too lazy to start on it right now though.

I did open up the Alpha Force Impulse though and the first thing I saw when I opened the instructions was it split in half with one half being a Very Sad Robot crying into its arm and a pair of legs. It's the dumbest poo poo I've seen.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The Lfrith and the Pharact are popular and I've seen a lot of people with Chu-Chu's trainer and they all say they're good HG kits. Not sure about the rest.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Twelve by Pies posted:

Grabbed the RG Hi Nu this week since everyone suggested it. Too lazy to start on it right now though.

I did open up the Alpha Force Impulse though and the first thing I saw when I opened the instructions was it split in half with one half being a Very Sad Robot crying into its arm and a pair of legs. It's the dumbest poo poo I've seen.

Yeah it does the Victory Gundam thing with a cockpit fighter, torso, and legs and adds a backpack too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

hostess with the Moltres posted:

What do people generally say about the non-aerial WfM kits? I kinda want Bob’s Darilbalde, and it has a stand for its legs to shoot lasers where I don’t think the Pharact does for its stun gundbits.

I've heard the most praise heaped upon the humble Zowort, with some people calling it the best grunt kit ever.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
Zowort is really good, can confirm! I did the Begir-Beu as well and it's great if you like the aesthetics but not sure there's a lot that distinguishes it otherwise, especially with the other Grassley mechs available.

Having said that, the Chu-Chu Demi Trainer is the only one from the line I've never seen on a store shelf at all. People went nuts for that one, probably for good reason.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

free Trapt CD posted:

Zowort is really good, can confirm! I did the Begir-Beu as well and it's great if you like the aesthetics but not sure there's a lot that distinguishes it otherwise, especially with the other Grassley mechs available.

Having said that, the Chu-Chu Demi Trainer is the only one from the line I've never seen on a store shelf at all. People went nuts for that one, probably for good reason.

Huh, that's interesting.

Chu-Chu's Demi-Trainer's been more midcard where I've been. It's not warmed shelves like the standard Demi-Trainer, but it also doesn't vanish immediately like the Aerial or the Lfrith.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

YF-19 update:

Through the gerwalk mode, this was a really good build and it pushes the upper bounds of the HG line higher. On the gerwalk photo you can easily see the panel lines, they're going to be incredibly easy to do. I should probably have done some masking and markers for a lot of the stickers, but I persevered. The only frustration was in getting it from battloid to gerwalk, and that's on me because I was expecting a fit at a different angle than how it actually goes together. Totally worth $50, and I can't wait for the VF-29 in September.

To do: fighter mode and panel lining.

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
Speaking of Valkyries, I just did a Plamax 1/72 DYRL VF-1 (fighter mode only, no partsforming or transforming here). It's pretty good too!

I've not (yet) built a Hasegawa (and I completely missed the wave of Bandai Macross kits), though I've now got a Hase 1/72 and a 1/48 floating around here somewhere which I've briefly looked at but not yet built. I want to do the MG Zeta 2.0 (I got it just before the Ver Ka was announced) and a couple of other kits before I think about touching those.

I built it quick and used pour-type gundam markers for lining, as I was coming off an exhausting set of airbrushing adventures and intend to get the Roy version at some later point to take more care over and paint properly.

Plastic and detailing
  • Seems about Bandai quality; the white is a wonderful glossy finish, the clear is nice and clear, and the grey does the job and marks up like any dark plastic. The white in the Hasegawas doesn't seem as nice, but I've not got round to actually working with that yet.
  • There's no coloured plastic beyond a few joints and intakes in grey and the cockpit in black. Everything else is stickers and oh boy...
  • Whilst only a few parts are undergated, the way the kit builds up mean that only a couple of places need sanding - mainly on the fuselage/legs.
  • Panel lines are nice and deep and plentiful, it's faithful to the design as far as I can remember and nothing needed rescribing. On cleaning up, everything was deep enough that I didn't need to re-line anything which is rare but might be a symptom of having used really lovely, cheap, and loosely spun cotton buds until recently.
  • It's PS, so no cracking due to the panel fluid solvent heat effects or anything, though I was careful to avoid too much pooling just in case.

Assembly
  • Unlike the recent Hasegawa Regults, where you can just about manage without (except for the tiny red sensor gems), and definitely unlike Bandai kits, you're going to need glue for this kit.
  • Fortunately, there's a lot of internal surface to spread glue over without it gunking up the seams and needing sanding off afterwards.
    • I did use some nylon peg clamps on the legs as the two main parts per leg are quite long, but it probably wasn't strictly necessary - just saved me a couple of minutes holding them in hands whilst waiting for the initial drying.
  • You have options for the head on the underside of the body (VF-1A or VF-1S; I did the -1A this time) and whether the landing gear is lowered or retracted.
    • However, you can't hot swap between the different designs without some magnet fuckery as the pegs are too loose to work by pure friction alone. There's enough material on the inside of the build that there should be no problem finding good places to hide them, but it would be extra effort.
  • Something aircraft modellers seem (* based on my youtube recommendations going down a rabbithole *) to spend enormous amounts of effort on is lining canopies and masking them correctly. Plamax make this almost completely painless.
    • They've used a three part canopy - two clear parts split by the central frame spar (on the rear clear part), and a black plastic part they slip into for the enveloping frame. The central spar is moulded with enough of a relief that it's easy to just run a brush (or black sharpie) over it sideways and not have to worry about it ever again, which is probably one of the things that didn't just scale down from the 1/20s they did previously. There's also a sticker for it, which fits well enough.
    • I glanced in the box for the Hasegawa 1/72, and that is going to be painful in comparison. One piece, the central frame spar is raised slightly, but by a much lesser degree that'll be harder to paint (or sharpie) and will likely require some masking fun.
A fairly big difference from the Hasegawa kits looks to be the wings - they're on two separate pegs, with no gear between them to keep them evenly spaced (if I'm reading the Hasegawa parts correctly!), so you'll have to balance the spread by eye. There are small indicator panel lines on the 'shoulders' of the wings to help with this, which is a nice compromise.

Stickers
So the big disappointment with this kit is the stickers - they're vinyl(?) and glossy. The backing paper is thin so they roll up a little in transport, but you can press them flat under a book easily enough. The Roy edition will apparently have some decals to go alongside the stickers, but I don't know if it'll be a full set or just some key logos.

Firstly, the good -
  • You get marking for DYRL, with unit 011 (SSgt/VF-1A, start of film) and 001 (2ndLt/VF-1S, end of film) variants in Hikaru's red colour scheme variant.
    • The reds are semi-transparent, so you can just about make panel lining out beneath them even without cutting them, which is kind of neat for how vibrant the colour is.
  • You also get an option of sort-of TV version markings, i.e. the red stips without black for the body.
  • You get both 'full' decals (such as black stripes with the UN Spacy roundel on it, the black part of the rear vertical stabilisers with the skull squadron log on it) and logo-only versions if you want to paint the larger areas of solid colour, but no spares.
    • The logo-only versions are probably also more appropriate for doing the TV colour scheme.
  • There's two full sheets of the things, with everything from the big red and black ones to small caution text for the landing gear (just about legible under magnification) and indicator lights.
But the bad -
  • They're hard to place and carry tonnes of static (even spraying some soapy water doesn't net you much time to adjust them) and you're at high risk of airbubbles beneath them;
  • Some are too big to handle comfortably (the rear stabilisers on the top and bottom are WRAP-AROUND stickers, and the small tabs on them don't stay down - definitely paint those bits instead if you can);
  • Aligning them is difficult as not ever sticker fits perfectly along a panel line or other easily referenceable feature, though some do fit into recesses. For these oddities, panel lines are often nearrby just not perfectly in place so if painting you can probably cheat by masking to the lines instead, even if if it ends up ever so slightly different looking.
The manual is a bit poor here, as it omits several of the details (i.e. the lineart, isn't quite 1:1 with the build) and sticker placements during the build guide, so you should ideally be cross referencing the glory shots from the colour spread and marking guide as you go. Though it does catch most of the main ones that need placing before final assembly.

I did tear one of the big wrap-around rear stabiliser stickers, trying to make it fit snugly without the tab constantly opening. That was more of a me getting frustrated thing rather than them being flimsy.

Gimmicks, extras, and expansion sets
  • Has a pilot figure, unlike Hasegawa 1/72 kits. Two parts and very easy to put together, but you need to insert it before the dash as the legs don't fit in otherwise. Unless you cut the feet off...
    • The figure's got good detail despite the scale and I was able to easily mark up the black edging on the helmet and shoulders after painting them red/yellow, stick a dab of blue on the visor, and so forth. Though magnifiers help a lot.
  • For mounting missiles (not included) on the wings, there are indicators but no holes so that will get interesting. Looking at the manual for the Hasegawa missile packs it seems to be the same deal - I suspect you might be able to use the Hase missile packs if you want and are very careful with a pin vise.
  • The manual is super high quality, glossy magazine paper with some beautiful colour spreads, but does skimp a bit on the details during build compared to bandai and the only meaningful english is the blurb about the unit on the box. The first print versions of the manual have a small error which is corrected on the PDF on the goodsmile/plamax website - test fit the landing gear before gluing them together, you should figure it out.
There are also a couple of places where the kit is obviously going to be expanded on if they make a good enough return. I've not seen any pre-orders for such go up yet, just the Roy variant with decals, but I'd not be suprised if they started talking about FAST/SUPER packs later this year. The sides of the lower legs are separate plates that could be left off to mount SUPER/FAST parts, and there are a couple of tiny pieces that block up holes in the top of the body which would likely serve the same purpose and make no sense to be separate pieces otherwise.

Skrillmub posted:

Thanks for this post.
I had been getting more and more frustrated using Q-tips to clean up panel lining. I got some of the super fine Tamiya swabs and they're so much better. I can actually pinpoint the spot I want to clean up, not just swipe over and hope it works. And they don't fray out and become useless almost right away.
The really fine swabs don't seem to soak up the ink like your post, but I can just go over smears with a Q-tip after and clean that up. Next time I buy tools I'm getting a few sizes and switching over 100%.
I've been using the 87107 Medium Pointed ones, and not really felt the need for smaller ones. I won't claim that they magically inhale all stains and remain perfectly clean, but if you give them a moment to dry you can get far more use out of them than I was expecting.

Glad it's helping - I couldn't afford the markup on importing "gun cleaning" swabs and was unsure if these Panel Line Cleaner (aka Seepage Line Wiper) things were going to be really washable or just a waste of money. Tamiya just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mllaneza posted:

YF-19 update:

Through the gerwalk mode, this was a really good build and it pushes the upper bounds of the HG line higher. On the gerwalk photo you can easily see the panel lines, they're going to be incredibly easy to do. I should probably have done some masking and markers for a lot of the stickers, but I persevered. The only frustration was in getting it from battloid to gerwalk, and that's on me because I was expecting a fit at a different angle than how it actually goes together. Totally worth $50, and I can't wait for the VF-29 in September.

To do: fighter mode and panel lining.

Did you have the same problem I had with mine of trying to get that thigh joint to pivot on the leg for Gerwalk mode?

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
finished the MG Nu

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1639769101269893121

regretting not painting the entire frame gunmetal

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Did you have the same problem I had with mine of trying to get that thigh joint to pivot on the leg for Gerwalk mode?

One of mine was stiffer than the other, but both pivoted with minimal effort. That's probably a slip-up in the engineering of the actual molds.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

mllaneza posted:

One of mine was stiffer than the other, but both pivoted with minimal effort. That's probably a slip-up in the engineering of the actual molds.

That's what I figured as well.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Started on my Messer F1 tonight. The really spared no effort engineering the chest portion to do sick sit-ups did they? :stare:

edit: Has anyone tried the Odenkan brand paints yet? Newtype started promoting them, and I'm wondering if they're worth the fuss.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I made myself apply every single decal and went with a pretty dark panel line (tried out a micron pen, worked ok). I think this era of suit benefits from it and while I have a lot to improve on I'm happy with this guy.