Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Please do not make me buy those lizards GW, my poor wallet is screaming for mercy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The Morghasts predated the OBR aesthetic and while the army takes some cues from their armor styling, the Morghasts themselves don't entirely fit the style of the army. Having a wizard who is assembling a Morghast Archai head helps tie them into the rest of the army. Seems like purposeful design.

Not sure how this new guy will keep up with Morghasts unless he can fly fast...

I'll have to post my OBR soon, I've got about 2000 points painted and have all the infantry done so really it's just a few big pieces left.

Question for you all, when it comes to well defined characters like Nagash, when you see them painted in the style of an army instead of their lore scheme, does that seem jarring or weird? I'd like to paint Nagash but I'm not sure whether to make him match my army or do him in his traditional purple. I know I can paint him however I want, I'm just not convinced painting him differently will look good.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I like to see characters with new schemes. A good workaround sometimes is a *new head* but I don't think that would work too well with Nagash

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Is the start collecting seraphon box useless now because of the riders being squatted?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The new army box isn't out yet for a while so they're valid until that point pretty much.
But not much point in buying them if they're getting replaced. v:v:v

Ugly John
Jul 18, 2009
[img]https://forums.somethingawful.com/attachment.php?postid=514899866[/img]

Posigniat posted:

Is the start collecting seraphon box useless now because of the riders being squatted?

You can probably just use them as the new units if you want. That Start Collecting is also still one of the most absurd values if you follow the 'getting the most out of it' guides.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The old Knights will need rebasing to larger bases if you want to still use them, they’ve said the new guys are big boys. The infantry and heroes are all still totally usable.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

I don't think these are new Saurus Knights. They call them "Aggradon Lancers", which makes me think they're a new unit.

Which is dumb. But it is a GW kind of dumb.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
I don't recall exactly what they said, but during the showcase they mentioned that the new lancers are replacing an older "Something on Cold ones" model.

Edit: also the fact that the Saurus Knights are one of the units that have been deleted from the GW store right now, kinda leans toward them being replaced. But I think size-wise, it'd make more sense to slot the older models in for the new bird-dino cavalry, than rebasing them to be the bigger Lancer unit

Desfore fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 23, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They are a new unit, but they mentioned on the stream that they are the replacement for the Cold Ones and by extension the Saurus Knights.

Rechecked the stream, at 33:36 Eddie mentions, about the Aggradon Lancers, that "These effectively replaces the cold one riders that we currently have in the lizardmen range".

Also the army splash image does give us a size comparison to the rest.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 23, 2023

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Current Knights should slot in the same size as the new Skink riders, yeah.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

The new Kroxigors are some pretty big lads.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

Geisladisk posted:

I don't think these are new Saurus Knights. They call them "Aggradon Lancers", which makes me think they're a new unit.

Which is dumb. But it is a GW kind of dumb.

the old slaanesh knights are still around even though they're redundant

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

War and Pieces posted:

the old slaanesh knights are still around even though they're redundant

Yeah but on the other hand they literally said in the announce stream that these were replacing the old Cold One cavalry.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Really curious to see what kind of army lists come out of their new book, feels like Thunder Lizards has been the go-to for a long time now.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Most new books have been pretty thematic so I hope good things come for the Lizards.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Reading the end times lore and wondering what it must have been like to read it as it came out. Imagine being a Gelt or Tyrion fan.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

From what I remember, lots and lots of anger/annoyance.

I do remember there were a couple of nice things but on the whole I remember people not being too pleased by it.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Pour one out to that poor guy who burned his entire WHFB mini collection when AoS 1.0 dropped. Legendary video.

E: sadly all that remains is a reaction to the original video, but what a legend.
https://youtu.be/0nqRtpiR09c?t=534

EE: it's always the elf players

Paranoid Dude fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Mar 27, 2023

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I think he's come up in the past in the thread and someone mentioned he changed his mind later and now thinks AoS is pretty good.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

Cooked Auto posted:

I think he's come up in the past in the thread and someone mentioned he changed his mind later and now thinks AoS is pretty good.

When AoS 1.0 came out, it was an INSULT. The stupid little compendiums without points that featured rules such as "pretend to ride around on a horse to reroll an attack" or "the player with the largest beard goes first," etc. all came off as incredibly insulting to the playerbase who had just endured The End Times lore and the first glimpse of a new, simplified system was to call the entire WHFB fandom weird nerds.

I'm glad the original poster came around on AoS, AoS as it is now definitely has some merits behind it and I'm really glad that it's such an accessible way to get into fantasy wargaming, but man... the first taste of AoS was such a poor showing, I think that the context of why so many WHFB players feel a knee-jerk way about it is worth remembering lol

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I mean yes, the state of AoS 1st is something that has also come up time and time again. Both here and elsewhere. Horribly botched, but thankfully the quirky rules disappeared really fast.
But people forget that part with first impressions.

But I think think the really interesting part was how it actually managed to renew interest into the hobby again. I know I've mentioned this in the past, but when AOS dropped there was suddenly a surge for interest in my local game store. People suddenly wanting to play again and old players wanting to pick it up again.
The goofy rules were a misstep but once they were gone there was something really appealing to a lot of people. Even I considered making an army for it at one point.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 27, 2023

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

as a nagash fan I'm going to ahead and say end time lore rocks

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
It's amazing would okay those original rules.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Paranoid Dude posted:

Pour one out to that poor guy who burned his entire WHFB mini collection when AoS 1.0 dropped. Legendary video.

I remember that video featuring unpainted 8th ed Dark Elves from the line refresh.

It was a lot of stuff, but it's not like any of it was more than a few years old or had any paint on it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

moths posted:

It was a lot of stuff, but it's not like any of it was more than a few years old or had any paint on it.

Sounds like your regular pro player.
Or American one. :laugh:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I wish you weren't right about that!

It came around the same time as people filming videos smashing FW stuff as some kind of flex.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
Reliable leaker says that Warhammer: Old World may be coming out this fall. Massive huzzah if true.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

End Times was such a punch in the dick as if nothing else, they had set up a cool setting where everything went to poo poo, but all the armies were insane fever dreams of multiple factions all mashed together... and gently caress all time to play with it. If they had stretched things out so there would have been some time to actually PLAY some End Times armies I think it would have left a better impression. At least with the group I played WHFB with at the time felt that way.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

I'm very glad I started playing AoS with 2nd edition.

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp
Man, I am curious to see if they can make "The Old World" interesting to people like me. Even after the insanity that was End Times and the AOS 1.0, I've really come to appreciate Age of Sigmar in that I can make up my own narrative wholesale. I enjoy having my own Skaven clan with its own particular rules and characters, interacting with my buddies' faction's on whatever realm we choose. We can create our own plots with ease and the realms of Sigmar accommodate without trouble. With my group getting into Warcry, I'm excited to see small bands of characters fighting leading to whole armies fighting. We are already talking about a campaign this summer for it.

Whereas with the Old World, I tend to find everything very constrained. I got into the game at the tail-end of 8th and bounced off, despite buying into Skaven. I saw a universe that felt incredible stuck in time. I've described it as a "dozen apocalypses all stacked on top of each other, waiting for the first one to get triggered." Nothing felt like it mattered since the Status Quo tended to return whip fast. Every faction was pretty well carved out and never felt like there was a lot of room for the players to have any agency, in either the World or in their own factions.

I've softened a bit over time. Vermintide 1 & 2 did a marvelous job at making "The Old World" feel believable and a place that people actually lived in. Total Warhammer has been a great boon for the Old World as well.

Still, I just prefer the creative freedom that AoS tends to leads to. Perhaps I'm just approaching "The Old World' the wrong way...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Talas posted:

I'm very glad I started playing AoS with 2nd edition.

2E felt like a great iteration. We all loved it around here and were put off a bit by 3E for a while. Now of course since we're all waiting for 40K 10th to drop we've come back to AoS to find 3E isn't as bad as we thought.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

War and Pieces posted:

For whatever reason the Undead characters were the only ones who had a fun story or were treated with any amount of respect in the End Times, I suspect someone within the studio is a huge fan of them and put in a lot of effort to make that happen despite everything else about the end times.

Also keep in mind that the first two End Times books (Nagash and Glottkin) were fairly well received and it wasn't until Khaine that people started crying foul.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

I feel like it's quite generous to call that a duel

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Winklebottom posted:

I feel like it's quite generous to call that a duel

Its the goblins vs the squig

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Danny LaFever posted:

Its the goblins vs the squig

:hmmyes:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

When I'm thinking bout those end times, I'm not so much thinking at AOS 1.0 or its reception, although that's interesting, I was thinking what it was like to read through as it happened. See your heroes or factions get author fiat into idiocy or dust. Reading Glottkin and it's like just skip 100 pages already, it's clear what is going on, no I don't need to read about how nurgle's special boys used the power of overwhelming bullshit to take Marienburg in a flash.

Robert Facepalmer posted:

End Times was such a punch in the dick as if nothing else, they had set up a cool setting where everything went to poo poo, but all the armies were insane fever dreams of multiple factions all mashed together... and gently caress all time to play with it. If they had stretched things out so there would have been some time to actually PLAY some End Times armies I think it would have left a better impression. At least with the group I played WHFB with at the time felt that way.

The timing was another thing. I'm trying to look at the book release dates. Nagash was in August 2014, Glottkin October 2014, Khaine December 2014, Thanquol Jan/possible Feb? 2015, Archaon March 2015, Age of Sigmar in July? lmao

War and Pieces posted:

Settra was better sorry. :shrug:

Feeple
Jul 17, 2004

My favorite part of this hobby is the rules arguments.
As someone who really didn't pay much attention to lore until about a year ago, I can definitely understand why players where either optimistically apprehensive, or outright pissed at the worst. Part of GW's strategy is to try and get you invested in lore and hobby so you are susceptible to Sunk Cost Fallacy regarding the game. The End Times would have been a punch in the crotch to anyone invested in the outcomes of about half their factions and heroes, and even those that survived weren't always promised a good time, either.

Launching The End Times and Age of Sigmar was a major risk, and looking back, 1.0 definitely didn't help them. However, I think 3.0 has been pretty good, and I'm hoping I'll like 10th ed of 40k as well.

Coming back from Adepticon playing a lot of AoS, I was really glad to see the promises of a chill and friendly vibe, even if I feel some models are just plain ridiculous, were as advertised. I was laughing and smiling with people who I was stomping, and with people who stomped me.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
I notice Nagash has six skulls on his belt and six spinal cords on his back. Any significance to that? Were they previous kings he overthrew like Anasurimborian decapitants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Isn't Settra a stormcast now, or some other ridiculous nonsense? I know Gelt is something like Balthasariusmar Siggelt, Chuckie Francis is probably Celestant Prime, and I think they spilled the beans on somebody else, too.