Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

The Atomic Man-Boy posted:

I’m not a materials scientist by any stretch, but can’t you just, like, paint them so they aren’t exposed to direct sea water?

No. This is a problem the Royal Navy discovered with the first iron warships, because they tried to use copper sheathing on the hulls as they had with wooden ships. It's the result of metals being in contact with each other, not exposure to the elements, so even if you could get to those spaces, painting wouldn't help once the process starts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
The mall from Tom Petty's "Free Falling" video closed in like 2018.

Google is making it into office space.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

TikTok needs to find a way to allow American capital to invest in it. Maybe that would shield it from protectionist legislation.

Alternative proposal: we ban all social media

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

WhatAGreatCountry posted:

in fact they are getting doctors;

you know, for all those rural people. with money. and cars.

doctors without quarters

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Slow News Day posted:

Alternative proposal: we ban all social media

correct

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
we used to be a real country, where things at the dollar store cost a dollar

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

WE'VE RAISED RATES AS HIGH AS WE CAN

WE CANT RAISE THEM ANY HIGHER

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Interesting. This would be saying the "banking crisis" is self inflicted because rates aren't being passed on to depositors so depositors are pulling cash to chase better yields.
https://twitter.com/Kathleen_Tyson_/status/1638936614150840321?t=7y9dRAyivw4RqUw9b9tfOA&s=19

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

RealityWarCriminal posted:

we used to be a real country, where things at the dollar store cost a dollar

I like how they're still insisting inflation is only like 6%.

Here's what a $4 loaf of bread looks like if inflation was at 6%:
  • Year 1: $4.24
  • Year 2: $4.49
  • Year 3: $4.76
  • Year 4: $5.05
  • Year 5: $5.35

Bread that used to be $4 here are closer to like $6 now in about 14 months since the Fed went OH gently caress! INFLATION!

6% is such an outright, brazen lie.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Interesting. This would be saying the "banking crisis" is self inflicted because rates aren't being passed on to depositors so depositors are pulling cash to chase better yields.

:prepop: Unchecked, rampant greed causes a crisis?!?!?!? :prepop:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
who could ever have imagined that greed would lead to a banking crisis

SKULL.GIF posted:

Bread that used to be $4 here are closer to like $6 now in about 14 months since the Fed went OH gently caress! INFLATION!

They just straight up doubled the price of baked goods at the local kroger.

I mean sure I can bake but I don't want to spend 2 hours on cookies

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/Kathleen_Tyson_/status/1638936614150840321?t=7y9dRAyivw4RqUw9b9tfOA&s=19

I was saying that earlier

why don’t they increase the rates on deposits

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

euphronius posted:

I was saying that earlier

why don’t they increase the rates on deposits

then they'd compress their nim bro, they never wanna compress their nim

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

if they actually reported the real inflation it would probably be two-three times the bs rate they report and thats a scary number too scary to report

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The american style enclosed shopping mall only ever existed due to accelerated depreciation schemes to encourage commercial concerns to move out of the cities and out to the artificial gated whites-only developments the government subsidized after WW2. That scheme went away in the late 80s and with that went almost all enclosed mall development

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2vpvT11fjs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

This is already happening, Walmart is in decline because Dollar General/Tree/Family Dollar are eating their lunch on the low end and no one with options goes to Walmart. Walmart is too middle-tier for the coming retail landscape.

I have to make a monthly supply run to Walmart to resupply my roommate's Apples 'n Cream fruit cups.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Jon Irenicus posted:

the mall about ten minutes away has officially become Teen Fight Club where all of the poorly behaved students go to gently caress around on the weekend and routinely get in fights. one kid even got stabbed. thus the mall is trying to crack down and literally ban unaccompanied minors

20 years ago or so the Mayfair Mall outside Milwaukee instituted either youth need to be accompanied by an adult at all times or possibly later in the day due to "riots" by inner city kids. This mall was juuuuuust outside the city of Milwaukee but at the end of many bus routes and had a big movie theater in it. Coincidentally, a mall further out in the suburbs put their foot down about buses.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

SKULL.GIF posted:

what you fail to take into account is that this is balanced by all of the commodities decreasing in price such as:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Centrist Committee posted:

what you fail to take into account is that this is balanced by all of the commodities decreasing in price such as:

Hey, gas is down to $3.35 again!

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

I stopped by a Wendy’s on my way home yesterday and found out that the 4 for 4$ is now either 6 bucks or 7 bucks depending on your burg choice. and the burg is appreciably smaller, like White Castle sized almost. shits wack

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

HallelujahLee posted:

if they actually reported the real inflation it would probably be two-three times the bs rate they report and thats a scary number too scary to report

it'd show the productive economy has been shrinking and that that's been papered over by ever increasing financialization and rent seeking

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Slow News Day posted:

TikTok hearing going well

https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1638945871642370062

I feel like the chances of a federal ban have increased significantly after this worst-possible answer lol

he just changed his answer to a straight no in between reps

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Jaxyon posted:

Cookies take 25 minutes including prep and bake time

The standard toll house recipe cooks in less than 15 minutes and prep is literally "stir ingredients until mixed"

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Centrist Committee posted:

All inclusive resorts in Mexico
Luxury clothing
70" TVs

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Pussy Quipped posted:

I stopped by a Wendy’s on my way home yesterday and found out that the 4 for 4$ is now either 6 bucks or 7 bucks depending on your burg choice. and the burg is appreciably smaller, like White Castle sized almost. shits wack

Yeah they're all doing this. Shrink the food and raise the price.

But of course the official numbers do not acknowledge this or even claim to measure it, and there's no outrage over it at all.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mirthless posted:

The standard toll house recipe cooks in less than 15 minutes and prep is literally "stir ingredients until mixed"

This doesn't include cleanup time, HTH

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Mirthless posted:

Some of us mill our own flour and churn our own butter.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
chicken and grasshoper poo poo

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Turtle Sandbox posted:

churnin lots of butter?

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

skooma512 posted:

Yeah they're all doing this. Shrink the food and raise the price.

But of course the official numbers do not acknowledge this or even claim to measure it, and there's no outrage over it at all.

No outrage over it all? What? Lmao

Just because the news isn't talking about it doesn't mean that people aren't upset about it

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Jaxyon posted:

Your bakery has been lying to you. Cookies are super easy and quick to bake.

Bread takes a long time to make though.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Your bakery has been lying to you. Cookies are super easy and quick to bake.

Bread takes a long time to make though.

Bread can last for more than a few days though, I'm gonna try and make some and hope it turns out decent enough.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
really depends on the bread

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

NeonPunk posted:

No outrage over it all? What? Lmao

Just because the news isn't talking about it doesn't mean that people aren't upset about it

They're seething at it but I don't see any like protests, or store owners hanging from signs or anything sweet like that.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Turtle Sandbox posted:

where are you getting the dairy

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Here's the thing about baking: It's chemistry. If you're bad at chemistry, you're bad at baking.

This is what happened when I tried to make buttermilk biscuits a while back:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

stupid lazy bread dough, just sitting there, inflating from the hard work of our brave bacteria

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
im good at chemistry and i can bake so that checks out

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Bread dough just takes a bit of practice and learning what your particular needs are - my house is always dry for example so i put a little more liquid in to every dough.

I thought I just sucked at baking for a long time but it just turned out i needed to calibrate my oven and learn to adjust

Now i make a loaf that looks like this basically every week and its only 5 ingredients. flour, yeast, milk powder, salt, water.

And the whole thing takes place in 1 mixing bowl that is easy to clean, requires almost no kneading and the bread pan itself just stays oiled forever and requires minimal washing.

Your first few times making anything will be messy as you learn but you get into a groove over time where its like - im about 5 minutes total for that loaf of actual work time and clean up and its just like 5 hours of wait time on the rise and bake where i can be doing something else - playing games, cleaning, painting, etc.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 19:55 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Iron Crowned posted:

This doesn't include cleanup time, HTH

Stand up mixer takes five minutes to clean, otherwise it's two bowls, also taking about five minutes to clean

silicone thrills posted:

Bread dough just takes a bit of practice and learning what your particular needs are - my house is always dry for example so i put a little more liquid in to every dough.

I thought I just sucked at baking for a long time but it just turned out i needed to calibrate my oven and learn to adjust

Now i make a loaf that looks like this basically every week and its only 5 ingredients. flour, yeast, milk powder, salt, water.

Homemade bread is so good but significantly more time consuming than cookies. Also learning to make the staff of life is like gaining a superpower that just makes you fat :negative:

Was making bread daily for a while and had to stop after about 20 pounds

Mirthless has issued a correction as of 19:56 on Mar 23, 2023