Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Incy posted:

None of this applies to Scotland or Wales as I don't know what happens there.

To follow on from MeinPanzer's description of what happens with a strike above, Universities are obliged to put on additional teaching so that the mandated teaching hour requirement and learning outcomes are met. Therefore it very much depends on what the strike caused the students to miss - done on a case by case bases.

If a student thinks they've been disadvantaged they can try to get a portion of their fees or other associated damages (eg the failure to secure a summer placement etc) back, either through the complaints process or legal action through contract. It's not automatic and will depend on the circumstances, and obviously Universities don't advertise this. Most of the cases here are settled before any court/the OIA are involved, but it requires a lot of effort and willpower by the student as the Universities will pretty much deny all damages in first instance. The real cost is that Universities will need to spend extra money to ensure that all students meet their learning outcomes, and this is at a pretty serious cost.

Research is much simpler, it's just delayed by the strike period which can cause the University to miss goals and so suffer contractual penalties. There's no change in staff costs (as the staff will have been on strike) but overheads etc. will just have an extra amount of days equal to the strike days, so the University is obliged to make up these costs.

The hardship fund has been a total shitshow and no one is quite sure why. It's supposedly cash rich but no one seems to be able to get any response at all out of it?

I would disagree that research is simpler. While universities would suffer penalties if deliverables are missed due to strike action, the indervidual researchers probably miss more because the contracts are so long term. Most research work is work academics do because they care about and are interested in the work primarily - It's something they get a personal return on, not just done to generate profit for the university.

So not doing any research work for a week, for example, won't impact a final report due in a years time - but it will mean the researcher doesn't get to investigate the subject as much as they'd like. And that may mean they miss out on papers, grants conference presentations etc - things that benefit the indervidual research more than the university as a whole.

The point of strike action is that employers profit more from your wage labour than they pay you, so coordinated withdrawal of labour damages the employer more than the employee. For universities, this is the case for teaching but not for research (hence them trying to shove more and more teaching onto academics and assuming they'll do research in their own time). The employee gets as much if not more out of research work than the university does, so striking academics not researching is more harmful to them than the organisation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

I only run the heating when I have clothes to dry or it's properly cold, like below freezing. I naturally run quite hot. Also my duvet is...I have no idea what tog rating it is but it's heavy duty. I straight up just sleep on top of it most of summer, maybe with a bit folded over my feet so they don't get cold. Also the Scottish government did free cladding a few years ago & it's definitely made a noticeable difference.

a dehumidifier changed my life in that regard

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1638936682840858630

lol

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Nothingtoseehere posted:

I would disagree that research is simpler. While universities would suffer penalties if deliverables are missed due to strike action, the indervidual researchers probably miss more because the contracts are so long term. Most research work is work academics do because they care about and are interested in the work primarily - It's something they get a personal return on, not just done to generate profit for the university.

So not doing any research work for a week, for example, won't impact a final report due in a years time - but it will mean the researcher doesn't get to investigate the subject as much as they'd like. And that may mean they miss out on papers, grants conference presentations etc - things that benefit the indervidual research more than the university as a whole.

The point of strike action is that employers profit more from your wage labour than they pay you, so coordinated withdrawal of labour damages the employer more than the employee. For universities, this is the case for teaching but not for research (hence them trying to shove more and more teaching onto academics and assuming they'll do research in their own time). The employee gets as much if not more out of research work than the university does, so striking academics not researching is more harmful to them than the organisation.

I'm not really sure what your point is here. Striking isn't a purely beneficial situation for the employee, in fact it's detrimental as you aren't getting paid and aren't able to seek other paid work while on strike! When striking workers are giving up something to damage their employers, as you've stated. Often this is more detrimental to the workers as they need to eat/pay rent, while employers don't do that as they are generally corporations instead of individuals! I do understand that a lot of academic staff like to do research, and it advances their careers, but this doesn't mean the the employers are getting nothing out of it.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Heartbreaking: the second-worst person you know just made a great point to take down the worst person you know.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Bridgen’s dynastic battle over the family potato fortune seems to have permenantly broken his brain.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
His brain is the family potato.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Incy posted:

The hardship fund has been a total shitshow and no one is quite sure why. It's supposedly cash rich but no one seems to be able to get any response at all out of it?

I know, no idea what's happening there. I applied to our local fund, which offered to cover a few days at the beginning of the strike, and got paid out within a couple of weeks, but I and my colleagues haven't heard a peep from the UCU national fund.

quote:

I would disagree that research is simpler... The point of strike action is that employers profit more from your wage labour than they pay you, so coordinated withdrawal of labour damages the employer more than the employee. For universities, this is the case for teaching but not for research (hence them trying to shove more and more teaching onto academics and assuming they'll do research in their own time). The employee gets as much if not more out of research work than the university does, so striking academics not researching is more harmful to them than the organisation.

I completely agree, and it's why I've been continuing to research on strike days. For temporary faculty, not doing research is also tantamount to not building one's CV; if you have to forego pay and research, you are basically doubly disadvantaging yourself, especially over a long strike period.

quote:

I'm not really sure what your point is here. Striking isn't a purely beneficial situation for the employee, in fact it's detrimental as you aren't getting paid and aren't able to seek other paid work while on strike!... I do understand that a lot of academic staff like to do research, and it advances their careers, but this doesn't mean the the employers are getting nothing out of it.

The problem here is that much of your bargaining power as an academic employee--indeed, your ability to get and hold a permanent job at all in some cases--comes from your research. Asking temporary faculty on one or two year contracts--who comprise 36% of striking employees at my institution--to give up prime research days over months can really disadvantage them in a way that just withholding one's labour in other professional strikes doesn't. The marginal benefits of another publication to a researcher and to an institution are also radically different, since at my uni at least only a couple of each faculty member's publications are ultimately submitted to REF by their department, whereas every publication can be crucial to building a competitive CV.

Albinator
Mar 31, 2010

feedmegin posted:

I actually quite like the smell. Which is just as well because it was omnipresent 24/7 round Barking tube station.

Come to Washington DC, which is extremely high and happy to let you know it (it's great).

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

The Question IRL posted:

On the subject of littering. One that doesn't get talked enough about is people abandoning food on the ground.
Like abandoned chocolate bars or half eaten chicken wings are the worst, because if I'm taking my dog for a walk, she's an expert at sniffing out food like this and eating it before I have a chance of pulling her away. And they are all stuff which is really bad for dog's health.

Yeah same, I have a Labrador which, for those who don’t know, is a breed that will eat anything and everything so I’m constantly having to fish chicken bones out of her mouth. There’s a couple of places near here where taxi drivers will pull in and eat takeaway in their car before just dumping it out at the side of the road and driving off, it’s incredibly annoying.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

FATTIN UP THAT LIVER BOWEH :bahgawd:

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

This has different varying levels to it though. If I'm sitting in the middle of a park smoking with no one nearby vs. blowing it in the faces of cafe patrons then y'know, there's a point to be made.

If a guy smokes in the park and nobody's around to smell it, does it have a scent?

Less glibly, the majority of smokers don't know and don't care to know how far their smoke goes. To take a common example in my area, you might think you're not hurting anyone if you duck into a doorway on a corner before you light up, but what's probably actually happening is that your smoke is blowing out of the doorway, around the corner and into the faces of a column of kids going home from school.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Oh I get the sentiment completely, but there has to be a line drawn if someone's literally walking across the road and into a public park to spark up as being 'considerate enough' right

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

For sure, you can take steps to mitigate the problem. I don't write off literally all smokers, I know people who do do their best to get reasonably far away from other people to smoke. But I've also seen guys who, not exaggerating, this actually happened, happily smoke at a crowded bus stop while standing directly over a sleeping homeless man, and that seems to be how the vast majority of smokers behave.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

ME: If you do a codex search for "Lion El'Jonson" and "chaos" before 2015, you get 18 results, none of which are accusing him of aligning with the powers of chaos.

INQUISITOR: Heresy!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
second-hand weed smoke smells loving awful IMO but banning it is still loving stupid

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Weirdly I hated the smell until I actually smoked weed and got super high and, ever since then, i find the smell quite pleasant. my guess is it rewired my brain

So there's your solution if you hate the smell :smug:

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
air pollution leads to the deaths of thousands of london residents per year

labour are blatantly trying to curry favour with the tabloids

born to vape

labour is a gently caress

鬼神 vape em all 1989

I am weed man

410,757,864,530 weeds vaped

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DesperateDan posted:

labour are blatantly trying to curry favour with the tabloids
They hate the smell of that too.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/RivkahBrown/status/1638950325506678799

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like if people are slonking gang weed at home and you want them to stop you could make it legal to do in places other than your home.

probably more taboo for me to be smoking efficiently with a pipe than smoking a big fat blunt outside

i thought i could get away with smoking out of the window but my neighbour complained about it so have to sneak into a corner of the garden to smoke my stash

but hey keep replacing parks with new housing estates so i have no choice but to smoke around other people houses

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
UCU member here. Have been striking, can confirm it's a shitshow right now.

The main issue is that UCU is factional in a very special way. You've got a mix of full-on marxists (good tendency), trots (bad tendency), very centrist sensible folks in higher, more secure positions who mean well but don't realise that accepting the weakest possible win will heavily disadvantage a lot of the more precarious workers in the union.

This is exacerbated by UCU covering a very broad mix of universities. The post-92's who don't have the same pension scheme and tend to be more teaching focused, the russel group of universities whose members don't think the post-92s exist, and everyone else. Within all this you've got postdocs and graduate teaching assistants on short term and sometimes zero-hours contracts, professional services staff like IT support, lab techs etc, all the way up to senior professors.

Then you've got the enormous bureaucracy that comes with a union covering higher and further education across hundreds of institutes, and has baggage from the merger of older unions that were themselves conceived of by a bunch of academics.

All this combined would be tolerable if there wasn't a big division between the executive committees (notably the HEC in this instance) which actually holds the power to enact industrial action, and the General Secretary, who actually holds the password to the twitter account.

The GS is Jo Grady, and her stated aim is to give members a say by doing things like running online surveys ahead of HEC meetings so that the HEC can get a steer from polling. A less charitable interpretation is that because she holds the comms she can push-poll to get figures that she can use against the HEC (who have been elected by members to make decisions).

The current shitshow came about because UCU is running two separate disputes but combining the industrial action for them. There are: USS pension and 'the 4 fights' which covers salary, pay gap, workload and precarity. The GS has been touting the current round of negotiations as a huge win because the universities have agreed to ask USS to reevaluate a massive cut to the pension scheme that was applied a couple of years back, and there has been some motion on some of the 4 fights issues, namely a commitment by unis to only offer zero hours contracts to people who want them. On pay, a 5% on average raise was offered by the unis but this was rejected by the union already.

Reading the above, you'll note a lot of this is commitments to maybe sort-of consider asking for progress on things rather than a solid, locked in position that will be taken forward. This is made worse because arguably the strongest 'win' in all this is the pension, which doesn't affect the post-'92 unis.

The GS put out a poll asking two broad questions with a single yes/no answer: Should we pause the remaining strikes in order to be consulted on what was on the table. This caused a lot of mixed feelings in local branches because it was accompanied by an hour long podcast from the GS and a transcript that people had to dig through to find out *what* was on the table, but did not link to the joint union statements stating the offers in explicit terms. People were conflicted: Does yes mean pause and be consulted on the whole package? Did it mean pause and be consulted on individual aspects? It had a short window since the HEC were meeting a couple of days later.

Apparently the HEC were not happy with this either, but as the GS sets the agenda of the HEC meeting, there was little ability to discuss and they were presented with a slightly different set of questions that again led to further confusion.

The HEC voted by a reasonably narrow margin to reject giving the members consultation and to keep the strike going. A summary that I think is well argued and well balanced can be found here:

https://vickyblakeucu.uk/2023/03/20/whats-going-on-and-why-did-hec-vote-against-consultation-on-the-disputes/

The GS and those supporting the GS argue that HEC denied the members a chance to see what was on offer. Others see it as the GS trying to push through a package that has very little meat in it, and one that could really piss off post-92 unis who have even less to gain from it because the pension isn't something they are fighting about.

My personal take is that the GS probably wants something that can be claimed as a win, even if it's very weak, and is doing as much as possible to get it past an HEC that does not like to be sidelined. It's a pretty poo poo state of affairs and is likely to cost the union a lot in terms of credibility either way.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
I feel like the problem with weed smoke blowing into children's bedrooms at this time of the year could be fixed with a campaign of government funded house improvements such as draftproofing and better insulation.
Unfortunately, you can't make an argument for better housing if you're in or benefit from the use of a house. That would be Ian Duncan Smith type hypocrisy.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
its my right to blow smoke in childrens faces and i shall continue to do it gleefully

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I watched a few snippets of Keith's speech, but this one especially stands out

https://twitter.com/PoliticsJOE_UK/status/1638908435054878721

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He's going to fund and train another Pol Pot.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

This also just popped up on my feed

https://twitter.com/PolitlcsUK/status/1638962297078165504

lol

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We will allow every Albanian to live in Britain and also I love to sniff poo bums.

You said you'd take my head out of the toilet bowl if I said that Edi. You said you said!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Another lolnugget from an otherwise unwatchable programme

https://twitter.com/Zero_4/status/1639000842480111617

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

don't underestimate sunak, he could hollow out the big man and use him as a sleeping bag

Tindalos
May 1, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Another lolnugget from an otherwise unwatchable programme

https://twitter.com/Zero_4/status/1639000842480111617

Doubly so for admitting the studio audience is mostly Tory voters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/garydunion/status/1638929134087729154?s=46&t=ARI_L-v32Oind1-d9B3a3Q

Actually genuinely wild how far right the party is going.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
The Starmer smells stuff is a massive dog whistle back to the days of "I'm not racist but Indian next door... curry smells" which you don't generally here as much anymore, but was your acceptable racism point of view of a few decades, isn't it ?

I'm a 38 year old white straight presenting cis dickhead, so I can smoke publicly with gently caress all hassle. But by keeping illegal you give the police freedom to target who they choose...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shocked that a new labour cop is obsessed with the war on drugs.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Its just loving depressing that the weed smoke thing is clearly a non-issue but we're now guaranteed to see columnists turn it into an important national epidemic.

"Left-Wing Feral Youths Forcibly Exhale TURBO SKUNK Smoke to Undermine Property Prices" is the sort of tone we're going to be seeing soon.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I could almost get around to not completely disliking Boris Johnson if he decided to combat this via the time honored method of hiring a bunch of Malay pirates to kick the poo poo out of every prohibitionist until the country collapses and leases the Isle of Wight to him for 99 years.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ironically the smell of weed is one of things my septuagenarian da complains about but he loving hates Starmer and this policy is not going to change that.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

All these complaints about weed smells when the Xmax Starry/Xmax v3 Pro are things that exist and can be had for cheaper than 3 or 4 packs of fags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Sanford posted:

All these complaints about weed smells when the Xmax Starry/Xmax v3 Pro are things that exist and can be had for cheaper than 3 or 4 packs of fags.

Man I hated the Starry, it would get clogged up so easily and was a huge PITA to clean

But yeah, weed vapes are extremely great, and more efficient, and don't smell nearly as much