Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mirthless posted:

Stand up mixer takes five minutes to clean, otherwise it's two bowls, also taking about five minutes to clean

Homemade bread is so good but significantly more time consuming than cookies. Also learning to make the staff of life is like gaining a superpower that just makes you fat :negative:

It's fine. ill be the eventual goon compound baker when the biosphere collapse thread catches up with all of us.

Also bread dough/bread actually taste way better when you ignore it for a long time. like pizza dough lives in my fridge for about 3-5 days before i get around to making pizza so its like a sour dough pizza every time and its still bubbly af.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Everytime I try to make bread the dough is very sticky, takes forever to clean up after, and never seems to form the correct structure no matter how much I work it.

I suspect it's because I need an entire day to do it correctly and I get maybe one of those a week.

Even use the hydration ratios that are easier to work with, but kneading it takes 15 minutes and the dough never changes and mostly just sticks to my hands and the boards and everything else

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
The government/Biden is trying to suppress the fact that food prices, consumables etc are going up and quantity/amount is shrinking. We all know it’s happening and are pissed but there’s no discussion or analysis in the media and Biden is pretending the economy is strong because jobs jobs jobs. All services have gone way up too (yard, automotive, etc).

Everything we buy has gone up by 10-20% and prices vary wildly by store in some cases. Gas has also not changed in weeks here which is odd, I was anticipating it to drop but Costco is keeping it high where we live and idk why. Seems like some funny bullshit is going on with them. The Costco in the next town over is already dropping it by .15 so idk what is going on.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

silicone thrills posted:

Bread dough just takes a bit of practice and learning what your particular needs are - my house is always dry for example so i put a little more liquid in to every dough.

I thought I just sucked at baking for a long time but it just turned out i needed to calibrate my oven and learn to adjust

Now i make a loaf that looks like this basically every week and its only 5 ingredients. flour, yeast, milk powder, salt, water.

And the whole thing takes place in 1 mixing bowl that is easy to clean, requires almost no kneading and the bread pan itself just stays oiled forever and requires minimal washing.

Your first few times making anything will be messy as you learn but you get into a groove over time where its like - im about 5 minutes total for that loaf of actual work time and clean up and its just like 5 hours of wait time on the rise and bake where i can be doing something else - playing games, cleaning, painting, etc.

that's a nice crumb

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Glumwheels posted:

The government/Biden is trying to suppress the fact that food prices, consumables etc are going up and quantity/amount is shrinking. We all know it’s happening and are pissed but there’s no discussion or analysis in the media and Biden is pretending the economy is strong because jobs jobs jobs. All services have gone way up too (yard, automotive, etc).

Everything we buy has gone up by 10-20% and prices vary wildly by store in some cases. Gas has also not changed in weeks here which is odd, I was anticipating it to drop but Costco is keeping it high where we live and idk why. Seems like some funny bullshit is going on with them. The Costco in the next town over is already dropping it by .15 so idk what is going on.

The spot price is on the downward trend so they're keeping the price the same to pocket the spread. When the pandemic happened some gas station would leave the price untouched for months, and some still do.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
One of my dipshit coworkers is complaining about capital gains taxes today. We make 29k top out

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/tier10k/status/1638977351978479622?s=20

lol

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news
lovely quick yeasted homemade bread thats better than store bread is still good and like 5x cheaper (and gently caress all effort)

amazing homemade sourdough bread is hard, but fun

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

it nearly collapsed the indian government and presumably they made millions

I wonder if the hindenburg guy has 24/7 security

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

skooma512 posted:

The spot price is on the downward trend so they're keeping the price the same to pocket the spread. When the pandemic happened some gas station would leave the price untouched for months, and some still do.

yeah but the shareholders need more yachts

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1638979105185226753

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

lovely quick yeasted homemade bread thats better than store bread is still good and like 5x cheaper (and gently caress all effort)

The biggest problem is just remembering to feed your starter every day

Also: cleaning sourdough off your counter and walls when it blasts outta its container

The youtube chefs never tell you about that part

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lol

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1638977350498160642

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1638979824705474560

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Mirthless posted:

The biggest problem is just remembering to feed your starter every day

Also: cleaning sourdough off your counter and walls when it blasts outta its container

The youtube chefs never tell you about that part

I tried the whole sourdough starter thing for like a month and i eventually killed it and it kept pissing all over my fridge because the liquid would condensate on the top of the cover i had for it then leak over

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Oglethorpe posted:

Bread can last for more than a few days though, I'm gonna try and make some and hope it turns out decent enough.

Find a no knead Italian bread recipe. You make the dough and let it rest overnight and bake in the morning.

If you have a Dutch oven preheat it in the oven and throw the dough in there.

Mess around by adding roasted garlic or rosemary into the dough.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

technically true as she suicided after this

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

skooma512 posted:

Everytime I try to make bread the dough is very sticky, takes forever to clean up after, and never seems to form the correct structure no matter how much I work it.

I suspect it's because I need an entire day to do it correctly and I get maybe one of those a week.

Even use the hydration ratios that are easier to work with, but kneading it takes 15 minutes and the dough never changes and mostly just sticks to my hands and the boards and everything else

Possibly dumb question: are you doing it all by hand? The stand mixer is like magic for improving consistency if you're hand kneading.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Possibly dumb question: are you doing it all by hand? The stand mixer is like magic for improving consistency if you're hand kneading.

It would go considerably better if I had a stand mixer, but I don't.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We got one of those relatively cheap little Cuisinart bread maker machines and that works pretty good. Loaf's a weird shape though.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

still laughing at the the thread title

i pray no sawdust falls into your bags of flour this season

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

skooma512 posted:

I have a cheap-o Aldi stand mixer, it works well enough. Can also double as a hand mixer if needed, I still suck at baking though

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Mirthless posted:

Cookies take 25 minutes including prep and bake time

The standard toll house recipe cooks in less than 15 minutes and prep is literally "stir ingredients until mixed"

plus you can eat a handful of raw squares while you're baking the rest. incredible earthly pleasure

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

skooma512 posted:

If you're not using a marble countertop to keep the dough cold you probably need less water to flour in your recipe. I have found that a very large amount of the advice online WRT breadmaking is coming from people with idealized hand kneading setups and if you don't have granite or marble you're gonna have a bad time following that advice because the dough warms up and gets sticky on ordinary counters

Wet doughs either need a standmixer or idealized mixing conditions. I dont have a good ratio to offer (its been a year or more since i made bread) but i know i had this problem up until i drastically increased the dryness of my recipes

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
bread is awesome and I wish a lot of the time that it wasn't so loving refined so you could just have a piece and it would actually fill you up for a day

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Mirthless posted:

Homemade bread is so good but significantly more time consuming than cookies.

not if you stir it all up in a bowl and just leave it overnight to do all that

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

skooma512 posted:

My first 6 months of homemade pizza making were spent trying to get consistent results without a stand mixer, to no avail. After I bought the stand mixer, I had it dialed in within a month. If I had known, I would have got it right from the start.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Another big thing is if your dough seems too wet - you can sift a little more flour into it at any point during the knead process so if it seems too sticky, sprinkle some, knead a little, repeat until it stops sticking to your hand and if its meant to be a wet dough, just loosely shape it with the layer of flour on top and then throw it into your pan.

I almost never use my mixer at all and start with long age wet doughs and just mix until generally incorporated with very little kneading.

also butter and zatar seasoning on top of home made bread is the most glorious and amazing thing i've ever discovered and its actually filling

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

Your bakery has been lying to you. Cookies are super easy and quick to bake.

Bread takes a long time to make though.

I make my own cookies from scratch including chilling the dough for an hour and using bread flour because I'm an alton brown simp(or sub, i guess)

poo poo gets dirty and I don't wanna if I'm already at the grocery store

way to nitpick my baking and not the 100% inflation, goons

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

gold briefly passed $2,000 per ounce today, and is still at nominal ATHs
(inflation-adjusted ATH is in Jan 1980 at around $2,600 / oz)

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

i am harry posted:

not if you stir it all up in a bowl and just leave it overnight to do all that

Kneadless bread rules and is stupid easy to make. Though Its best to have a good Dutch oven.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr SuperAwesome posted:

My wife has been making homemade sourdough bread, it is absolutely no effort for me, lol and absolutely delicious, A+, would recommend.

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

dan crenshaw just called shou zi chew chinese and he had to correct him and tell him he's singaporan

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
breadailures, just put ice cream in your bread maker with some self rising flower, 5 minutes tops

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Oglethorpe posted:

dan crenshaw just called shou zi chew chinese and he had to correct him and tell him he's singaporan

lol

Yudo
May 15, 2003

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Find a no knead Italian bread recipe. You make the dough and let it rest overnight and bake in the morning.

If you have a Dutch oven preheat it in the oven and throw the dough in there.

Mess around by adding roasted garlic or rosemary into the dough.

Yeah these are really easy and pretty good.

Torpor
Oct 20, 2008

.. and now for my next trick, I'll pretend to be a political commentator...

HONK HONK

Oglethorpe posted:

he had to remind congress that he was Singaporean a couple times. that whole thing was extremely painful to watch. I’m a little upset I didn’t hear the ceo talk about Snowden or warrants/ subpoenas in the us.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

bread is awesome and I wish a lot of the time that it wasn't so loving refined so you could just have a piece and it would actually fill you up for a day

use whole wheat, op

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Torpor posted:

he had to remind congress that he was Singaporean a couple times. that whole thing was extremely painful to watch. I’m a little upset I didn’t hear the ceo talk about Snowden or warrants/ subpoenas in the us.

doing a "you, too" would be more of a gotcha moment he was probably warned against