Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

filmcynic posted:

Glad to see this change. Now I just need to get the barrier champ requirement out of the way. Does anybody know of a Lost Sector this season that has one near the beginning?

This week's nightfall has one at the start I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

This week's nightfall has one at the start I think.

haveblue posted:

Thrilladrome does, but it was a day or two ago

Great on both. Thanks!

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

:33< i KNOW, i was speaking metafurrikitty :33

yknow, I bet Hierarchy of Needs would be funny in Gambit

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

filmcynic posted:

Great on both. Thanks!

Also, just in case you don’t know this- it’s stuns, not kills, so you can just stun the same one over and over again and let it recover and not have to restart the activity

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

The unstoppable at the start of dead messenger used to be great for that. Fond memories of killing that guy over and over and returning to orbit for the pinnacle last year.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Has anyone managed to get in? All I'm getting is increased traffic and then error code cat

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

See previous thread title.

quote:

Background maintenence? No, downtime!

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

yeeeep. .-.

filmcynic
Oct 30, 2012

haveblue posted:

Also, just in case you don’t know this- it’s stuns, not kills, so you can just stun the same one over and over again and let it recover and not have to restart the activity

That is very good to know, thanks.

Raspberry Bang
Feb 14, 2007

Why didn’t y’all warn me I would be fighting the entirety of the vex in the legendary exotic mission. Jesus Christ is it even possible to do that solo?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Raspberry Bang posted:

Why didn’t y’all warn me I would be fighting the entirety of the vex in the legendary exotic mission. Jesus Christ is it even possible to do that solo?

Not only is it possible, due to scaling, it’s the easiest way to do it! It’s actually a really fun mission, Wyverns aside, because you truly are trashing through the entirety of the vex as you make your way through it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Raspberry Bang posted:

Run void, with Devour, and use void weapons with Repulsor Brace. You'll need to play it like Doom Eternal where killing is what keeps you alive!

Legendary Avalon requires very skilled play, but it is first and foremost a Build Check. It would probably be impossible to complete in Blues

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
My first clear used my 4ttc/target lock Retrofit Escapade, which in retrospect was basically two blank perks because i absolutely was not getting precision hits hipfire spraying with it in a panic. A blue void LMG (is there a blue void LMG?) would probably have done just as well. Not having wish-ender to cheese the last boss would be horrible though.

e: also you absolutely do not need skilled play, you just need devour up while you spray wildly with a void LMG. remember that volatile rounds let you knock out hobgoblins even if you miss the head or crit spot, since anti-barrier damages them through the immunity.

e2: for what its worth, esoterikk's solo flawless was done on strandlock, using the ludicrous enemy density to its advantage with osteo striga weaver's trance

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

Reiterpallasch posted:

My first clear used my 4ttc/target lock Retrofit Escapade, which in retrospect was basically two blank perks because i absolutely was not getting precision hits hipfire spraying with it in a panic. A blue void LMG (is there a blue void LMG?) would probably have done just as well. Not having wish-ender to cheese the last boss would be horrible though.

e: also you absolutely do not need skilled play, you just need devour up while you spray wildly with a void LMG. remember that volatile rounds let you knock out hobgoblins even if you miss the head or crit spot, since anti-barrier damages them through the immunity.

The blue void LMG Exitus Mk. I is actually the only blue LMG in the game! It was added last year along with the only blue bow, the kinetic Holless-IV.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Reiterpallasch posted:

remember that volatile rounds let you knock out hobgoblins even if you miss the head or crit spot, since anti-barrier damages them through the immunity.

Fuckin what?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I wouldn't really agree that Avalon (Legend or normal) is easiest solo. Even if grouping increases hp, with a duo, assuming your buddy isn't dead weight, you gain so much from having someone tackle adds while the other does the puzzle, or just having a margin of error, or someone to draw fire.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

arsenicCatnip posted:

Fuckin what?

yeah every season whatever is anti-barrier will punch through hobgoblin's dumb shields and some other stuff too I think but I mostly notice it when I get to bust those stupid little fuckers while they're just standing there thinking they're invincible

Lethrom
Jul 12, 2010

arsenicCatnip posted:

Fuckin what?

Anti-Barrier is also Anti-Hobgob, Anti-Phalanx Shields (I don't think anti-taken centurion shields though), Anti-Hydra shields, and Anti-Taken Vandal Bubble.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, anti-barrier is great outside of champions, it applies to a whole bunch of stuff.

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

I knew about the hydra and phalanx ones, had no clue about the others. Do unstop/overload have any effects like that or is barrier just weirdly good?

HoN didn't seem to be doing a lot of damage to guardians even with guidance ring, gonna try it again cause I had kinda bad positioning

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Volatile Rounds seem to be a little wonky with its anti-barrier properties. Weapons with anti-barrier seem to be 100% consistent with going through Hydra Shields and Immune Hobos, but Volatile Rounds seem to be more like 50/50 on whether they're gonna say Immune or do dome damage

Volatile Swords also seem to do literally nothing, even against Barrier Champs, as far as I could tell from a RoN last night, but that was a very small sample size of Two or Three Thwacks

Reiterpallasch posted:

e2: for what its worth, esoterikk's solo flawless was done on strandlock, using the ludicrous enemy density to its advantage with osteo striga weaver's trance

I feel like this is agreeing with everything I posted, haha. But like with a veneer of 'well actually no' on it.

I'm not familiar with esoterikk but is he pretty bad at pve and it's like a "if he can do it, anyone can do it" type of deal? Cuz I think strand warlock is supposed to actually be pretty powerful, and Osteo Striga imho is one of the best weapons in the game & especially for Avalon

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Sad to report that hierarchy sucks as an invader weapon. Even with guidance ring at a sizable distance I had to 3-tap to kill a guardian, and I'm a sitting duck. It's still good for gambit, just as an envoy shredder/ad clear machine.

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

arsenicCatnip posted:

Sad to report that hierarchy sucks as an invader weapon. Even with guidance ring at a sizable distance I had to 3-tap to kill a guardian, and I'm a sitting duck. It's still good for gambit, just as an envoy shredder/ad clear machine.

What kind of build are you using with Hierarchy in Gambit? I am having a hard time taking off Arc with Heritage, IKELOS SMG, and Xenophage in Gambit.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Me, inspecting my inventory: “how the gently caress do I already have 4300 kills with Vexcalibur? Oh, right, Avalon”

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Lord Wexia posted:

What kind of build are you using with Hierarchy in Gambit? I am having a hard time taking off Arc with Heritage, IKELOS SMG, and Xenophage in Gambit.

Strandlock with Imperial Decree, Hiearchy and Stormchaser. Xeno is the more correct choice for invading, LMGs are so busted for that role rn, but this works pretty nicely as a reaper set-up.

I am getting annoyed at these bad invades though so I will now be going in with the sweat loadout to ruin some peoples days

arsenicCatnip fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Mar 23, 2023

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Pinnacle rng fuckin sucks. I sure do love a run where every pinnacle is for the same slot so you either get a single point increase in that slot or even no increase. Good times.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
My typical gambit loadout is kinetic special, smg (or otherwise good add clear energy), lmg heavy. Burst super that I save to one-shot the primeval on the 3rd(?) round so you don't get cockblocked by their shield thresholds. Works pretty well. LMG heavy is basically mandatory for invade/counter invade imo

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

we're so loving back

acumen posted:

My typical gambit loadout is kinetic special, smg (or otherwise good add clear energy), lmg heavy. Burst super that I save to one-shot the primeval on the 3rd(?) round so you don't get cockblocked by their shield thresholds. Works pretty well. LMG heavy is basically mandatory for invade/counter invade imo

Agreed. I've heard Whisper is pretty good but im not the best shot so I haven't messed around with it. I've also had some success with Deathbringer but there's a huge learning curve I haven't fully overcome there. When you can get the positioning right though it's inhumane lmao

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

im so sick of the game just hanging on the ship screen between rounds

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

arsenicCatnip posted:

I knew about the hydra and phalanx ones, had no clue about the others. Do unstop/overload have any effects like that or is barrier just weirdly good?

Overload will reduce enemy damage output (~25%) and turn off certain abilities like teleporting or taken captains shooting blights; it's actually quite handy to have around even if its effects aren't showy.

Unstoppable says it will stun unshielded enemies, but for primaries that usually requires you to hold your fire to get the effect so it doesn't come up as much. It's more useful on something like a glaive where you can shoot a major to stagger them without having to hold your fire, then move in to slice them up before they recover.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I'm not familiar with esoterikk but is he pretty bad at pve and it's like a "if he can do it, anyone can do it" type of deal?
Oh jesus no. Esoterickk completing something means that it is theoretically possible if you are very good, lucky, have the reflexes of a teenager and use exactly the same build. He regularly puts up videos of himself soloing raid encounters designed for 6 people using hand eye co-ordination that shouldn't be possible. It's like watching competitive CS:GO players.

If Cheese Forever or FalloutPlays says its easy, it probably is. I don't think Esoterickk has ever made a point of saying that his playthroughs are easy, just that it is possible to complete as a proof-of-concept.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I thought that volatile rounds will break barrier champion shields, but they don't have the full anti-barrier behaviour against other shields and stuff?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
he's the solo flawless video guy, if he hasn't put up a video of going solo flawless in an activity within like 12 hours of it coming out, you know it's an absolute nightmare

e:

Junkenstein posted:

I thought that volatile rounds will break barrier champion shields, but they don't have the full anti-barrier behaviour against other shields and stuff?

for what it's worth, a volatile LMG was 1000% able to kill hobgoblins but unable to penetrate the boss hydra's shields in avalon gambit for me

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 23, 2023

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Lethrom posted:

Anti-Barrier is also Anti-Hobgob, Anti-Phalanx Shields (I don't think anti-taken centurion shields though), Anti-Hydra shields, and Anti-Taken Vandal Bubble.

really lame that witherhoard does all this except anti-barrier, I demand bungie buff witherhoard asap :argh:

arsenicCatnip
Dec 23, 2022

Cleaned up my emblem section, it was cool going through and seeing what old emblems I actually got. I barely played pre-DCV and have like 0 memories of that time so I like having the forge and mercury emblems as reminders that yeah, I actually did play the game back then.

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Alright, I gotta ask-- what's the deal with Grand Overture in pvp? I saw that it had a bug where it would do its blinding effect on other weapons, but I just was in a lobby where one guy seemed to just use it like a primary all match, and obliterated everyone. Does it load like fifty bullets on pickup or something jesus christ

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

ptroll posted:

Alright, I gotta ask-- what's the deal with Grand Overture in pvp? I saw that it had a bug where it would do its blinding effect on other weapons, but I just was in a lobby where one guy seemed to just use it like a primary all match, and obliterated everyone. Does it load like fifty bullets on pickup or something jesus christ

1. That bug got patched out
2. He was probably cheating

ptroll
Sep 8, 2011

Cheating in iron banner seems like an even dumber idea than normal fps cheating, neat. Especially on an account that clearly had time and effort put into it!

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

its kinda weird that you're incentivized to play a minimal amount of iron banner until all the daily challenges are available

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Zokari posted:

its kinda weird that you're incentivized to play a minimal amount of iron banner until all the daily challenges are available

The Challenges system is total bologna in the same way Streaks are. They're meant to be a nice Bonus, but they design the Grind around having max bonus. So it feels like the bonus is Normal and not-max-bonus is a Penalty