Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Final Blog Entry
Jun 23, 2006

"Love us with money or we'll hate you with hammers!"
Crosspost from the painting thread, that's why you don't paint your white vinyl siding dark colors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

now I want a two-story garage with clerestory windows. and flying buttresses gently caress it why not

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

`Nemesis posted:

the far side is just an A-frame

My brain didn't put it together correctly, but I saw the comment with this image and thought "yeah, that does look like a house Gary Larson would draw."

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The bottom part is for truckin' and the top part is 4 fuckin'

e; heres your sign !

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Lol

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was cleaning up my Flickr account and was reminded of this house I rode my motorcycle past 13 years ago.

Don't remember exactly where it was, like 30 miles south of Peoria, IL.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Uthor posted:

I was cleaning up my Flickr account and was reminded of this house I rode my motorcycle past 13 years ago.

NSFW tag please!

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Uthor posted:

It's a Monolithic Dome Home - https://www.monolithic.org/search?q=peoria

"Solar Equipped in Illinois — Kati and Robin Millers’ Monolithic Dome home has 6 solar-thermal collectors that collect the sun’s heat and convert it into thermal energy. It heats water that circulates through the radiant heating system to heat the home.

“All great projects start with a spouse!” That was Robin Miller’s reply when asked how and why he got interested in a Monolithic Dome home. He went on to explain that Kati, his wife, had lived in several coastal states but never in the middle of the country until they married and moved to Illinois. When Kati realized that tornadoes occur in Illinois, she insisted on building a disaster-resistant home. So the Millers began researching and found Monolithic Domes."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Same.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Holy poo poo, much thanks!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

They have to be a bitch to live in, but I gotta love domes.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

hahahaha

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

The Article posted:

“I had to assure my neighbors that it was not a mosque or a nuclear reactor. Then things calmed down. But we still get gawkers all the time, and if they’re interested and we can, we give them a tour,” he concluded.

Rural Midwesterners: "That's a weird building. It must be either a mosque or a nuclear reactor, and either way I'm scared of it."

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

We just got out hot water heater replaced two days ago. After it was replaced, the hot water wasn't working. Turns out we needed to replace a breaker, which involved undoing two screws, pulling out the breakers, putting new ones in and screwing the panel back on. 5 minutes, and it cost $378.16. I know it's a shock hazard and you should get professionals to do electric stuff but god drat if I am not considering doing it myself for that kind of money

They also quoted me like $3700 to do a bunch of stuff, but currently I feel like our situation is "it ain't broke so don't fix it" even though the box is old, but still in good condition. This house probably had stuff done in the 70s but the guy who came here specifically said that they future-proofed it at the time and the box is in good shape for its age and we don't use much power as it is... generally like two lights, two PCs, a water heater and a fridge, that's basically it. We don't have an electric car or a flat screen TV on all day. I kinda get the feeling we're being fleeced a bit for work that we don't really need but that's just my feeling. The quote is below. Any thoughts?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

MarxCarl posted:

When Kati realized that tornadoes occur in Illinois, she insisted on building a disaster-resistant home.
People from the coasts: "Tornadoes happen here? We gotta build a dome house to protect ourselves! I wonder why nobody else here lives in one."

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Unless it's made of a stone, it's just sparkling concrete.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Toxic Mental posted:

We just got out hot water heater replaced two days ago. After it was replaced, the hot water wasn't working. Turns out we needed to replace a breaker, which involved undoing two screws, pulling out the breakers, putting new ones in and screwing the panel back on. 5 minutes, and it cost $378.16. I know it's a shock hazard and you should get professionals to do electric stuff but god drat if I am not considering doing it myself for that kind of money

They also quoted me like $3700 to do a bunch of stuff, but currently I feel like our situation is "it ain't broke so don't fix it" even though the box is old, but still in good condition. This house probably had stuff done in the 70s but the guy who came here specifically said that they future-proofed it at the time and the box is in good shape for its age and we don't use much power as it is... generally like two lights, two PCs, a water heater and a fridge, that's basically it. We don't have an electric car or a flat screen TV on all day. I kinda get the feeling we're being fleeced a bit for work that we don't really need but that's just my feeling. The quote is below. Any thoughts?

What is so crappy construction about that?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I dunno, someone said I should post it here, maybe it was the wrong place lol. I just saw that there were some electricians who post in this thread.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

You want the wiring thread.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

They just want to live in the abandoned railroad tower in my hometown.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Sash! posted:

They just want to live in the abandoned railroad tower in my hometown.

Oh man whenever I was riding the train as a kid I'd always look dreamily at the railroad towers and imagine what they looked like inside, and how you could fix them up as a cool house, and live right next to the TRAINS in a TOWER.

I still do that as an adult. :v:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Shifty Pony fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 24, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Why should I reroute?

Plumbers are the ones who suck!

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Its a humidifier.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Well, it is now.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Liquid Communism posted:

I think there was an idea for one of those 50s "home of tomorrow" concepts that if you had a home without corners, you'd never need to vacuum because there would be nowhere for dirt to collect. That probably doesn't work, but only a select few know for sure.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Liquid Communism posted:

They have their place, but they take away a lot of the feeling.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Cat Hatter posted:

I think there was an idea for one of those 50s "home of tomorrow" concepts that if you had a home without corners, you'd never need to vacuum because there would be nowhere for dirt to collect. That probably doesn't work, but only a select few know for sure.

there are still flat surfaces, no? unless they've come up with a way to eliminate that as well: spherical home!

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Gravity would still have stuff collecting at the bottom.

Antigravity sphere home it is.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Yeah, even as a kid I thought that designer was an idiot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Gravity would still have stuff collecting at the bottom.

Antigravity sphere home it is.

Make the bottom of the sphere the door, now all the dirt falls out when u leave the house.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

In my neighborhood, there's one the few Alcoa Care Free homes. I guess the path to carefree living was being OK with most of the house feeling like an airliner galley and not being able to replace the toilet ever.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
https://twitter.com/newscientist/status/1638895184883912704?s=20

It's literally impossible to know how these tiles will line up.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

A Penrose set with a single shape? That's cute, I wouldn't have guessed that that was possible.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I need to cut out a ton of those on a cricut just to give to people to pay with, anyone have a link to a vector file of the exact measurements of it? I don't trust a news article to have useful info

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Preprint here - I don't think they give a simple vector or angles-and-lengths, but it looks like it's fairly simple to construct anyway.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

That's pretty cool.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Some of these are mirror images of others, so this assumes tiles have the same finish on both top and bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Flipperwaldt posted:

Some of these are mirror images of others, so this assumes tiles have the same finish on both top and bottom.

I'm not going to keep staring at that image, but aren't only the dark blue ones the other way?

Although having to buy tiles with the correct chirality would be an experience.