Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I got a defective copy, it left out the ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

a.p. dent posted:

i will never understand how snow crash got popular. it's trash!! (i didn't read it until i was in my twenties, maybe that was the issue)

i thought it was an okay pulp novel and a clever fanfic parody until i realized he was mostly serious

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

the magic powers of linguistic isolates means that basque people are essentially battle mages.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

a.p. dent posted:

i will never understand how snow crash got popular. it's trash!! (i didn't read it until i was in my twenties, maybe that was the issue)

I didn’t like it much either tbh and I read it in high school.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

i thought it was an okay pulp novel and a clever fanfic parody until i realized he was mostly serious

This is what bugged me the most. I went through almost 3/4 of the novel assuming most of it was tongue in cheek and turns out, it wasn’t.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

reading is less quick than watching tv

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

I didn’t like it much either tbh and I read it in high school.

This is what bugged me the most. I went through almost 3/4 of the novel assuming most of it was tongue in cheek and turns out, it wasn’t.

lol apparently i made it four fourths through the novel without realizing that. dudes a pizza delivery guy named hiro protagonist it had to be a joke

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

copy posted:

dudes a pizza delivery guy named hiro protagonist

…that has a car that appears to be on fire when viewed in someone’s rear view mirror making them get out of the way so he can deliver pizzas faster

(Still not a joke)

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
i read the entire baroque cycle in high school. now you know why I'm the way I am

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

my main context for snow crash is that episode of party down where kyle gets cast as vitaly chernobyl (which he cannot pronounce) and roman gets really mad about it

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I only read the first two I think? Up until the one that ends with the male protag getting ganged up on by his nerd friends and forcibly undergoes 17th century surgery for his kidney stone. That's when I went "Ok, that's enough Stephenson for me, thanks!"

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Cthulu Carl posted:

I only read the first two I think? Up until the one that ends with the male protag getting ganged up on by his nerd friends and forcibly undergoes 17th century surgery for his kidney stone. That's when I went "Ok, that's enough Stephenson for me, thanks!"

love to read about our hero Jack Shaftoe and his syphilitic dick rotting off or w/e

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fritz the Horse posted:

love to read about our hero Jack Shaftoe and his syphilitic dick rotting off or w/e

"Half-cocked" Jack is a pretty funny name though, tbf

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

snow crash was great until the author decided to have a graphic scene of a 15 year old getting drunk and having sex with an old man.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Stux posted:

reading is less quick than watching tv

In a book it can say 'they've been walking around for hours', and you can read it in a second, but then they make a movie, and they literally show how they walk around for hours.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Paladinus posted:

In a book it can say 'they've been walking around for hours', and you can read it in a second, but then they make a movie, and they literally show how they walk around for hours.

I mean sometimes, the guys who made Game of Thrones gave ZERO fucks about that lol

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

Paladinus posted:

Tolkien wrote 4* books about characters walking for hours

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Not true. Sometimes they stopped to sing a song.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

CyberPingu posted:

That's the thing. They've been actually walking for months!

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
and I would walk five hundred miles
and I would walk five hundred more
just to be the man who walked a thousand miles
and crossed into Mordor

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

CyberPingu posted:

Dudes love walking it's true

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Walking simulators PFFT

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

wait

snow crash wasn't parody?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Paladinus posted:

That's the thing. They've been actually walking for months!

In the books, 17 years pass between Bilbo's farewell party and Gandalf returning to the Shire to tell Frodo about the ring lol.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Pablo Nergigante posted:

In the books, 17 years pass between Bilbo's farewell party and Gandalf returning to the Shire to tell Frodo about the ring lol.

thats called world building

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Pablo Nergigante posted:

He just didn’t want to be around short people

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

skasion posted:

He just didn’t want to be around short people

They got no reason to live

(Jeffrey is secretly Randy Newman)

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

literature is ftw because you can have one bed-ridden dude be like “I used to go to bed early”, eat some cake or whatever and suddenly there’s 3000 pages of everything from art, social life and snobs to how bitches be crazy

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Pablo Nergigante posted:

There's a whole TV show about what was only briefly alluded to in the books. And they'll probably make another show about what was going on during those 17 years.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

ulvir posted:

literature is ftw because you can have one bed-ridden dude be like “I used to go to bed early”, eat some cake or whatever and suddenly there’s 3000 pages of everything from art, social life and snobs to how bitches be crazy

hell yeah

now what do i do with this perfect creature i found

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Paladinus posted:

and yet book is still slower than watching. makes you think

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the facts dont lie

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Psycho Landlord posted:

wait

snow crash wasn't parody?

It's definitely tongue in cheek.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Stux posted:

the facts dont lie

and c.s lewis knows he cant beat me and he's not even going to try

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

and c.s lewis knows he cant beat me and he's not even going to try

you once and future king

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I've started reading Shadow and Claw: Volumes 1 and 2 of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe and it kicks rear end.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Pablo Nergigante posted:

I've started reading Shadow and Claw: Volumes 1 and 2 of The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe and it kicks rear end.

yup they’re loving awesome

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the best thing is you have 4 absolute classics ahead and then when you finish you can read the book of the long sun which is like 95% as good

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

Pablo Nergigante posted:

fukc yeah

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

snow trash. that book sucked

Pablo Nergigante posted:

added to the list

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Pablo Nergigante posted:

nice. then do fifth head of cerberus if u havent already