Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Spaseman posted:

Can someone who doesn't own Shadow of War tell me what the definitive edition costs? I bought the base game without thinking and now I see that the definitive edition costs only a dollar more but I'm not sure if thats because I already bought the base game or if I screwed up and need to do a refund.

$8.99 currently
E: Page snipe and missed an entire page of posts. My bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

A big thing I hated in Shadow of War was how due to the way they rebalanced the difficulty modes (ie, just shifted them down one from Shadow of Mordor) the new normal difficulty had every single orc almost unfailingly higher level than you by default. Which meant recruiting them inevitably required mindfucking them to drop their level down, which was both increasingly uncomfortable and unpredictable, and most importantly loving tedious.

Difficulty levels don't change orc levels in any way.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Jack Trades posted:

Okay then I hate the way they made every orc higher level by default then.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Anno posted:

Big ups to rope kid and team winning Best Narrative at GDC for Pentiment and Josh then using part of his acceptance speech to dunk on the conference.

https://twitter.com/shacknews/status/1638741715287781378?s=46&t=IW0MSOWK0Lh4VsB3wVLoOA

I’m guessing they are expecting participants to arrange transport and lodging on their own dime? Wouldn’t surprise me if nominees choose not to attend.

I like the Bill Watterson cosplay

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Stereo Boy is a good game, and I recommend it for any puzzle game fans.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I unlocked most of the base forms of the skills in Shadow of War and combat really does become a lot more tolerable once you are able to do the ice strike thing and freeze people while shadow striking multiple enemies in a row and plugging away with headshots along the way; you just have a lot more options to deal with the packs that surround you. I still find most of the time that the hold X sweep attack works really well against really stubborn enemies because they don't seem to be able to block it but it's a bit boring and the feedback on the attack isn't really that satisfying. I still don't find all of the upgrades for the abilities super compelling, kind of running out of the upgrades I actually want to get and am now just unlocking things for the sake of it but it is nice that it lets you juggle equipped upgrades around mid combat to try stuff out.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Before the sale ends are there any other good games (indie or not) of the style of Recettear, Mystia Izakaya or the cabaret minigame from Yakuza 0? Basically running and building up a small business where you directly control the boss/employees and the gameplay is fulfilling guest/buyer requests?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

So, what were people's problems with Wolfenstein TNC compared to TNO? I haven't tried playing it since it came out and I've been thinking of giving it another shot.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Deakul posted:

So, what were people's problems with Wolfenstein TNC compared to TNO? I haven't tried playing it since it came out and I've been thinking of giving it another shot.

I played Old Blood and New Colossus back to back and IIRC the controls felt worse and NC had tons of effort put on talking with your buddies in the hub world, but they weren't very interesting or particularly likeable. Overall bad pacing.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

John Murdoch posted:

Okay then I hate the way they made every orc higher level by default then.

Its why I bounced off it too. Every time I'd go to recruit some orc I could never get them alone because it would randomly pop another orc in or some alarm would go off and I'd end up dying and the orc would just get loving stronger

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Checked out the old Shadow of War thread.

Jack Trades posted:

My new Gravewalker playthrough is already resulting in some interesting stories and since I decided to be clever this time, and actually bound steam taking a screenshot to one of the buttons of my controller so I can easily document everything that's happening, I have a bunch of stuff to show even.

Let me tell you the ongoing tale of Dȗgz the Defiler.
Dugs and I met in Minas Ithil, and it was a love at first sight since he was pretty adamant about wanting a piece of Talion for himself, looking to live up to his title I'm sure.

Unfortunately Talion was really busy at that point, with no time to tango, and had to promptly leave.
Something which Dugz didn't seem to like at all as he surely made me know during out next encounter.

As you can see, I had some backup from the Gondorians at the time and I really didn't want to disappoint Dugz anymore so I decided to take him down right there.
After a pretty heated battle, all the Gondorians unfortunately fell and Talion ate an arrow to the face, right during the brief vulnerability time between two dodge rolls, which did something like 60% of my max HP (Gravewalker difficulty, hey-yo) and killed me.

That shot that killed me must've been very impressive because the next time me and Dugz met, in Cirith Ungol this time, he adopted a whole new identity based on that one shot alone...

...and then promptly sniped me before I could even react.

Some time later, I was looking for Celebrimbors barrows in Cirith Ungol as this piece of shrakh ambushed me right outside the entrance to the barrows.

Kruk must've been really clever (or lucky) to ambush me right outside the barrow, the place that not even the Dark Lord knows about, supposedly.
Unfortunately for him, he was all alone without any backup in sight so he was promptly stunlocked and murdered.

All was well, I thought, except barely 5 seconds later, as soon as I stepped inside Celebrimbor's barrows, someone else showed up...

...I have no explanation for that other than Dugz must've sent his blood brother Kruk to ambush me on purpose so he watch me kill him.
Either that or the news travel REALLY fast in Mordor because it was literally 5 seconds between those two fights.

Either way, after a very long fight with Dugs inside the barrow, between the giant elven statues, he managed to adapt himself to all of my meek arsenal at this point but somehow I managed to damage him enough that he decided to retreat.

There was no way for me to catch up to him because I didn't have any of the fancy moves yet so I just had to let him go at this point

I'm pretty sure that this is a great nemesis in the making right here.

Jack Trades posted:

Nemesis System, being as unpredictable as it is, cut the story of Dugz Lucky Shot short.

In an (un)fortunate turn of events he was captured and promptly executed by Prak the War-Bringer.

I love that game. :allears:

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

LegoMan posted:

Its why I bounced off it too. Every time I'd go to recruit some orc I could never get them alone because it would randomly pop another orc in or some alarm would go off and I'd end up dying and the orc would just get loving stronger

Same here. I really wanted to enjoy it after loving Shadow of Mordor, but I felt that I couldn't actually do anything in the game without being swarmed by a mob of no-name orcs, and the captains were all so densely packed that I could never get one out in the open by himself.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Pierson posted:

Before the sale ends are there any other good games (indie or not) of the style of Recettear, Mystia Izakaya or the cabaret minigame from Yakuza 0? Basically running and building up a small business where you directly control the boss/employees and the gameplay is fulfilling guest/buyer requests?

I dunno if I'm homing in and exactly scratching the itch you want, but in terms of nice management games, there's Potionomics, Moonlighter, Cooking Simulator, Potion Craft, the Cook Serve Delicious series, PlateUp, and...uh...Lobotomy Corporation?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm finally playing Return of the Obra Dinn and it might have the best "Feeling Incredibly Overwhelmed By Game Mechanics At The Start" to "Feeling Incredibly Satisfied When You Actually Start To Figure Stuff Out" - ratio I've had in years. The last story based mystery games I played recently - Pentiment and Case of the Golden Idol - were also very good in this regard.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm about halfway into Golden Idol I think and I love it so much. Just give me more stuff in this format. My only complaint is that I've accidentally cheesed the right answer a few times when it tells you that two or fewer answers are wrong. If you change something and it changes from "two or fewer" to "incorrect" then you know it must have been correct. I think I'd prefer it if it didn't give you that hint.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

FutureCop posted:

I dunno if I'm homing in and exactly scratching the itch you want, but in terms of nice management games, there's Potionomics, Moonlighter, Cooking Simulator, Potion Craft, the Cook Serve Delicious series, PlateUp, and...uh...Lobotomy Corporation?

If you are looking for a store management game, do not play Moonlighter. Moonlighter is a randomly-generated classic Zelda game with a terribly unfun store management minigame bolted on to it. The Zelda part is great and the game has exceptional pixel art but the store is bad, bad, bad.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

OzFactor posted:

If you are looking for a store management game, do not play Moonlighter. Moonlighter is a randomly-generated classic Zelda game with a terribly unfun store management minigame bolted on to it. The Zelda part is great and the game has exceptional pixel art but the store is bad, bad, bad.

Like a reverse Recettear

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Deakul posted:

It's a few things. One is that the difficulty is strangely tuned, you only have half your health for about half of the game. You can hold more armor to supposedly compensate though but in practice I remember it making BJ feel annoyingly squishy. Then it's just the general map/game design. The previous games were excellent in letting you mix stealth with balls-to-the-wall action but in TNC, the stealth is a lot harder to maintain thanks to enemy placement and the fact that I think the levels are more linear. For me there was also the fact that Doom 2016 had come out between TNO and TNC, making the latter just feel kind of flat and obsoleted. But at the end of the day, the whole thing's just sort of boring. Like, they made attacking Hitler's Venus Fortress dull and short. I still remember listening to GiantBomb's GOTY and hearing everyone praise the game and absolutely everything good they said about it happened in cutscenes.

E: That said it's *all right* for a single play through, the actual shooting is still good.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 23, 2023

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Jack Trades posted:

Don't think that was the case; I remember Orcs frequently being much higher level than me back when I played at launch, while it happens pretty rarely now. This is from the patch notes around the time they removed all the marketplace/MTX stuff: "Increased the variability of levels of Orc Captains in late game. Now, more Captains could appear lower than the player's level, particularly on high difficulty settings."

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1144770/SLUDGE_LIFE/ is free to claim for a week because they announced a sequel is in development

The soundtrack is the only thing I know about the game
https://doseone.bandcamp.com/track/bubble-up

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

goferchan posted:

Don't think that was the case; I remember Orcs frequently being much higher level than me back when I played at launch, while it happens pretty rarely now. This is from the patch notes around the time they removed all the marketplace/MTX stuff: "Increased the variability of levels of Orc Captains in late game. Now, more Captains could appear lower than the player's level, particularly on high difficulty settings."

Different zones have specific level ranges that determine what level a captain could spawn at. Those patch notes refer to widening those possible level ranges in post-game. It has nothing to do with difficulty modes.

The only difficulty level that has any effect on the orc levels specifically is Gravewalker. It doesn't cause orcs to spawn at higher levels but if they kill you they go up 10-20ish levels instead of 1-5ish levels.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ey, I'm crosspostin' here!:

Mordja posted:

Time for another unsolicited modpost. This time it's about everyone's favourite hero-based, fantasy RTS that later became a popular MMO, The Lord of the Rings: The Battle for Middle-earth II: The Rise of the Witch-king. BFME2 modding may not be as widespread as its Command & Conquer cousins' and definitely not as diverse, considering every single mod is a LOTR mod. Well, there was an early attempt by the Blitzkrieg 2 team to port their WW2 game to the newer engine, but turns out it wasn't a great fit. Still, there's a decent community for the game and today I'll talk about its two biggest projects.

A relative newcomer to the scene, Age of the Ring hews closer to the base game's mechanics but features completely redone graphics, factions, and a whole slew of new maps, all with a strict eye for consistency and quality. Despite being "only" a few years old, some of its team have been modding as far back as the first BFME and it shows.

AotR similarly divides the human and elven nations, adds Dol Guldur, and Mirkwood and Harad are in the works. One of its greatest strengths is its willingness to bend and add to the LOTR canon while remaining thematically and visually loyal to the books and movies. The recently released Dol Guldur plays very differently from other factions, spreading corruption and necromancy across the land. Lower tier units take damage if not within a structure's aura but their single-use builders and defensive towers are cheap and quick to build. Many of their abilities disrupt and damage enemy bases, others convert slain foes into temporary wraiths.

The mod also has more of a focus on singleplayer content than a lot of its ilk. The original missions have been remade within AotR's framework, it's got its own campaign that currently covers the events of the first book, and adds Besiege maps, assaults on massive, AI-controlled fortresses that will be playable cooperatively in the next patch. The team has been borderline-professional with its work, scoping each version and releasing on a regular basis.

But how on earth can I play these fabulous mods?
Yeah, so here's the thing. Neither BFME game has been readily available for a very long time and with moviegame rights being what they are, it's unlikely that they'll be available on Origin or whatever anytime soon. The community has surreptitiously started hosting the games online and I'm sure if you google "BFME Revora" you can figure things out and I don't risk getting in trouble from tattletale goons. Additionally, said community has created its own multiplayer solution, a lot like CNCNet at https://t3aonline.net/ and oh look what's included on its download page.

Quoting this because 8.0, the final (?) version of the Age of the Ring mod just hit. Possibly their biggest update yet, this release's marquee features include a fully-realized Haradwaith and an overhauled War of the Ring mode, which is basically Total War lite for BFME2. Alongside the usual glut of bugfixes, balance changes, and faction overhauls, 8.0 also introduces the concept of Adventure maps, which let you play as even more factions. Some are relatively minor variants, such as the Grey Company, while others are practically full-on races with their own unique units, heroes and spellbooks, such as Arnor and Rhûn.

I really do urge everyone to give this a try. It's one of the most professionally made fan projects I've seen and it breathes new life into a largely forgotten title. The mod and its installation instructions can be found here (it needs a fanpatch) and BFME2+ROTWK are essentially abandonware and have been hosted on GameReplays for more than half a decade so I doubt you'll have EA's lawyers knocking your door down.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Gyoru posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1144770/SLUDGE_LIFE/ is free to claim for a week because they announced a sequel is in development

The soundtrack is the only thing I know about the game
https://doseone.bandcamp.com/track/bubble-up

Oh cool, thanks for the heads up. Doseone's involvement piqued my interest on this one but not enough to, y'know, buy it.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I didn't realize people modded BFME2 at all, I'll have to check that out since I had downloaded the game to replay anyway.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Mordja posted:

It's a few things. One is that the difficulty is strangely tuned, you only have half your health for about half of the game. You can hold more armor to supposedly compensate though but in practice I remember it making BJ feel annoyingly squishy. Then it's just the general map/game design. The previous games were excellent in letting you mix stealth with balls-to-the-wall action but in TNC, the stealth is a lot harder to maintain thanks to enemy placement and the fact that I think the levels are more linear. For me there was also the fact that Doom 2016 had come out between TNO and TNC, making the latter just feel kind of flat and obsoleted. But at the end of the day, the whole thing's just sort of boring. Like, they made attacking Hitler's Venus Fortress dull and short. I still remember listening to GiantBomb's GOTY and hearing everyone praise the game and absolutely everything good they said about it happened in cutscenes.

E: That said it's *all right* for a single play through, the actual shooting is still good.

That's remarkably about how I remember feeling actually, Doom 2016 totally ruined nu-Wolf for me but I've recently played through The Old Blood and was surprised at how much I dug it up until the wicked dumb boss fight.

Well, we'll see how I feel about it these days now that it's been a minute since I've played 2016 and Wolfenstein's more fresh in my mind, can't wait for daddy issues and wheelchair shootout.

gently caress I wish Wolf '09 was still on Steam. :sigh:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From a gameplay perspective, TOB is probably the best nu-Wolf, yeah.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I think im one of two people that liked Wolfenstein: Youngblood the most, the person I cooped with is the other person that likes this game. Its a fun game and the armor types that gamers got real pissed at amount to just switching between two categories of weapons to exploit what the enemy is weak against. The levels are really intricate and the movement is super fast and frantic so its fun to optimize a route through the hub areas while you go on missions. Also the hatchet is low-key the best weapon in the game and will completely butcher enemies while you sprint through them at 50 mph

its also coop, which makes everything more fun. The story is definitely the weakest part though. I never played New Colossus but from what I heard, some of the characters were kinda butchered in the new one

ScootsMcSkirt fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 23, 2023

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-play-on-the-go-bundle

quote:

Snooker 19
Iconoclasts
Dead island riptide
Youtubers life OMG!
Total Reliable delivery service
PC building simulator
Pile up ! Box by box
Hunted: The demons forge
Speed limit
Ghost 1.0
Legends of kingdom rush
Horizon chase zero
Creepy tale 1 and 2 double pack
Splasher
Cyberhook
Gone home
Evens remains
Thunder wolves

3 for $4.99/5 for $6.99/8 for $9.99

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Ah, my favorite genre of b-sports game: numbered like an annualized release but they only got to make one

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Deakul posted:

That's remarkably about how I remember feeling actually, Doom 2016 totally ruined nu-Wolf for me but I've recently played through The Old Blood and was surprised at how much I dug it up until the wicked dumb boss fight.

Well, we'll see how I feel about it these days now that it's been a minute since I've played 2016 and Wolfenstein's more fresh in my mind, can't wait for daddy issues and wheelchair shootout.

gently caress I wish Wolf '09 was still on Steam. :sigh:
Wolf 09 somehow corrupted every single save I made right near the end, so I couldn't fight the last boss.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

Wolf 09 somehow corrupted every single save I made right near the end, so I couldn't fight the last boss.

That’s fine because the last boss is pretty awful IIRC.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
new colossus feels like it was maybe 70% done.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
When I did a little of its anemic postgame thing (my save somehow got hosed up and I moved on pretty quickly) I was definitely struck by just how tiny its levels are when you aren't being interrupted by cutscenes.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
And to be clear, I'd almost certainly play a third nu-Wolf game. If anything Machine Games has shown that they actually can design maps with that new Quake episode they made. But other than that dev-hell Indy game they're supposed to be working on, I have no idea what's going on with them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh cool, 9 full minutes of Rem2, I didn't know people still did that anymore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9j1S-x2etM

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Warning

If you played the demo for Storyteller, you essentially played the full game.

Don't buy even at the launch discount, unless you like supporting the dev.

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 23, 2023

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Mordja posted:

Looks like more Remnant 1, which means I'll probably pick it up. Hopefully there won't be a boss you have to fight on a bridge this time.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Deakul posted:

TNC has some pacing issues and levels that are way too big and open and easy to get lost in, but I was just today reminiscing about it with a friend. Its high points are really high, the plot gets way out there in a great way. It gets more and more absurd in the best of ways. I think it's worth enduring the struggle to play through it.

I put like 15 loving hours in Youngbloods though and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone ever holy poo poo

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

HopperUK posted:

Who's the best Shadows orc? I like the one who rhymes all the time. And the one who's creepily in love with you. It's just so unexpected.

Best for me was The Tower.

No, not the boss from the first game. The random orc in the second game who peeled his armor off, put it on, and got possessed by it.

That armor was really pissed to see Talion. It also became my chief nemisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Mordja posted:

This looks the exact same as remnant 1 and I'm unironically stoked about that