Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

EdsTeioh posted:

<shrug> guess y'all's scenes are just the polar opposites of mine. Before PP cratered, poo poo was like a high school gum around here.

Passed around and sticky? Eventually stuck beneath a foldout desk in the auditorium?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.

God this makes me want to re buy back into underworlds but god drat updating yearly was expensive.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Atlas Hugged posted:

Passed around and sticky? Eventually stuck beneath a foldout desk in the auditorium?

Lol GYM; my bad!

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

!Klams posted:

Is Kill Team any better?

I'm not a kill team player, so, grain of salt, but Kill Team doesn't have list building. It just doesn't. You pick a binary option for your squad leader and maybe a couple more binary options and that's it.

In terms of creating fewer trap picks, it's better. That's the most positive thing I can say based on what I've seen.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

!Klams posted:

Is Kill Team any better?

Yes, there's far fewer options in kitting out your team, and the rule set is tight.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

!Klams posted:

Is Kill Team any better?

The only way to gently caress yourself over in list building for KT is by playing necrons

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Paranoid Dude posted:

I'm not a kill team player, so, grain of salt, but Kill Team doesn't have list building. It just doesn't. You pick a binary option for your squad leader and maybe a couple more binary options and that's it.

In terms of creating fewer trap picks, it's better. That's the most positive thing I can say based on what I've seen.

Kill team kinda has it in binary options of what models to take, and then again in what equipment to use.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Covermeinsunshine posted:

The only way to gently caress yourself over in list building for KT is by playing necrons

The only reason I'd play KT is by playing Necrons (or sisters)

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Covermeinsunshine posted:

:cry:

I think they'll get buffed again in the next data slate. Buffed to the point where they are usable? :iiam:

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009
Ugh, beastmen? In my 40k? I know opinions vary, but I wish I could hear the reasoning behind 'yes lets bring the faction that hates civilization so much they raze cities and abhor technology' into the very much tech-infused space opera setting. Like, these guys are never going to pilot a starship, how the gently caress do they get anywhere? Also lol that the beastmen team really looks like an Underworlds team that they haphazardly shoved some pistols into their hands and called it a day.

Votann are fine, but their models don't inspire much excitement from me. I guessing that for most people this kill team will be the major draw of the box.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Dull Fork posted:

Ugh, beastmen? In my 40k? I know opinions vary, but I wish I could hear the reasoning behind 'yes lets bring the faction that hates civilization so much they raze cities and abhor technology' into the very much tech-infused space opera setting.

They aren't like that in 40k. In 40k they're semi-stable mutants that are usually found on chaos/daemon worlds.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Improbable Lobster posted:

They aren't like that in 40k. In 40k they're semi-stable mutants that are usually found on chaos/daemon worlds.

In one of the Black Legion books there's a whole society of Beastmen that do the grunt-work of keeping a chaos ship running, it's pretty great especially when their leader gets de-aged by a Thousand Sons sorcerer for doing such a good job, so he can keep cracking the heads of the younger Beastmen that want to challenge him

Dull Fork
Mar 22, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

In one of the Black Legion books there's a whole society of Beastmen that do the grunt-work of keeping a chaos ship running, it's pretty great especially when their leader gets de-aged by a Thousand Sons sorcerer for doing such a good job, so he can keep cracking the heads of the younger Beastmen that want to challenge him

Now see thats neat!

But these models look like they were mostly taken from fantasy, and not updated or changed to represent that difference. I don't count making one arm a bionic if they're still wearing loincloths and rockin the bare chests (sexy as it may be.) as enough of a difference. Show me some cool armor they might be rocking or other stuff! There are hints here n there, (gas mask goat, bionic arm bull) but from a distance the team looks a lil too much like their fantasy counterparts for me to be excited. Just a personal quibble with how they look, thats all. I'm not saying that one can't be excited for it, or that one shouldn't buy em!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Dull Fork posted:

Now see thats neat!

But these models look like they were mostly taken from fantasy, and not updated or changed to represent that difference.

the oldhammer space beastmen were like that too though. some of them were just fantasy designs used straight, since there were only a couple 40K-specific beastmen (although they were easy to kitbash).

the idea at the time is that beastmen are all fringer abhumans that are barely tolerated and may or may not actually be chaos mutations. outside of their leaders (the dude on the right there is based on an actual model with a plasma pistol, chainsword, and cuirass) they have primitive weapons because they're chaos cultists or press-ganged imperial cannon fodder.

this isn't even the first nostalgia-bait 40k beastman. they did one for newcromunda, too, more directly based on one of the oldhammer models (pictured in that link).

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Cease to Hope posted:

the oldhammer space beastmen were like that too though. some of them were just fantasy designs used straight, since there were only a couple 40K-specific beastmen (although they were easy to kitbash).

the idea at the time is that beastmen are all fringer abhumans that are barely tolerated and may or may not actually be chaos mutations. outside of their leaders (the dude on the right there is based on an actual model with a plasma pistol, chainsword, and cuirass) they have primitive weapons because they're chaos cultists or press-ganged imperial cannon fodder.

this isn't even the first nostalgia-bait 40k beastman. they did one for newcromunda, too, more directly based on one of the oldhammer models (pictured in that link).

Yeah, Squats and Beastmen in 40K both have a lineage going back to the very beginning. This box is directly targeted at people's nostalgia, and they got me for sure.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

If i read the article right, these beastmen are the ancestors of degenerated crew or crews of a space hulk.
Its like that movie Pandorum.

Its not nostalgia to like them either
Space goatmen are just rad

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Honestly I’d be down for an Animal Farm faction descended from livestock from a failed Imperial colony

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Professor Shark posted:

Honestly I’d be down for an Animal Farm faction descended from livestock from a failed Imperial colony

Calls of "Blood for the blood god" drowned out by the bleating of "FOUR LEGS GOOD TWO LEGS BAD"

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Hihohe posted:

Its not nostalgia to like them either
Space goatmen are just rad

oh def! weird space goatman chaos barbarians are just as rad today as they were in 1987. I just felt like the history elevates that too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dull Fork posted:

Now see thats neat!

But these models look like they were mostly taken from fantasy, and not updated or changed to represent that difference. I don't count making one arm a bionic if they're still wearing loincloths and rockin the bare chests (sexy as it may be.) as enough of a difference. Show me some cool armor they might be rocking or other stuff! There are hints here n there, (gas mask goat, bionic arm bull) but from a distance the team looks a lil too much like their fantasy counterparts for me to be excited. Just a personal quibble with how they look, thats all. I'm not saying that one can't be excited for it, or that one shouldn't buy em!

Oh yeah, it's totally valid not to like the aesthetic, I just wanted to point out that they're characterized differently in 40k than in AoS/Fantasy

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Professor Shark posted:

I want a team that's like the gellerpox but of just tzeentch demons, similar to that underworlds kit. That would be sick

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spanish Manlove posted:

I want a team that's like the gellerpox but of just tzeentch demons, similar to that underworlds kit. That would be sick

One like that for every chaos faction would be pretty neat.

Just the weirdest of weird little guys.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Douche Phoenix posted:

Called that this last box would have Votann, never would have guessed they'd be paired with Beastmen though.
Bringing jet packs and brass knuckles on a salvage mission is a huge flex.

Space Marine II Imperial Guard legion box had all sorts of abhumans. TWO poses of beastmen, ratlings, ogryn, robots, commissars...

Squats got to share a rules box with orks.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Cthulu Carl posted:

"FOUR LEGS GOOD TWO LEGS BAD BAAAAAHHHHHD”

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Dull Fork posted:

Now see thats neat!

Yeah you've nailed my issue with them. I would love it if they had some scavenged spacemans clothing/armour instead of the mostly naked look.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014
They were supposed to announce the new Epic: Horus Heresy box set during adepticon... reliable leaker can't have just lied... right?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Paranoid Dude posted:

They were supposed to announce the new Epic: Horus Heresy box set during adepticon... reliable leaker can't have just lied... right?
I assume you're being facetious because why in the world would they do HH Epic when they literally just launched HH less than a year ago?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

I assume you're being facetious because why in the world would they do HH Epic when they literally just launched HH less than a year ago?

Adeptus Titanicus is set during the HH and the rumoured return of Epic will supposedly be the same scale as AT and Aeronautica

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Adeptus Titanicus is set during the HH and the rumoured return of Epic will supposedly be the same scale as AT and Aeronautica

I understand that, but AT is strictly titans. AI is strictly aerospace ops, neither of which tread upon HH. If GW put out an epic scale HH, they would immediately potentially split the playerbase - it doesn't make financial sense to do epic at this time.

That being said, IMO, they should have tied AI and AT together with HH Epic, and just bypassed the 32mm scale altogether. But I'm an epic fan, so I'm biased.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

So if they do release Epic would it more just be an expansion to the Adeptus Titanicus ruleset, so you can bring tanks and other weapon batteries?

Id be down especially if they add orks and stuff.
Please
Stop pidgeonholing youself with the horus heresy period, GW.
People want alien mechs. Please.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hihohe posted:

So if they do release Epic would it more just be an expansion to the Adeptus Titanicus ruleset, so you can bring tanks and other weapon batteries?

Id be down especially if they add orks and stuff.
Please
Stop pidgeonholing youself with the horus heresy period, GW.
People want alien mechs. Please.

There is basically zero design space within Titanicus to introduce infantry and tanks and to have them make any meaningful contribution to the game

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Squibsy posted:

There is basically zero design space within Titanicus to introduce infantry and tanks and to have them make any meaningful contribution to the game

Which is why it would be part of a new edition of Epic instead, where it would have design space

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

berzerkmonkey posted:

I understand that, but AT is strictly titans. AI is strictly aerospace ops, neither of which tread upon HH. If GW put out an epic scale HH, they would immediately potentially split the playerbase - it doesn't make financial sense to do epic at this time.

That being said, IMO, they should have tied AI and AT together with HH Epic, and just bypassed the 32mm scale altogether. But I'm an epic fan, so I'm biased.

I should have mentioned that the rumour is that AT and AI will be combined into the new epic so there would be some amount of sense setting it during the HH. I hope not though, I'd really like to be able to play like Necrons or Orkz if they bring back epic.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

New Epic would be neat, but I won't believe it until GW officially announces it. Battlefleet Gothic relaunch would happen first.

Paranoid Dude
Jul 6, 2014

berzerkmonkey posted:

I think that a lot of people really enjoy having special characters that they create and feel attached to in HH which isn't at all a part of Epic in the slightest. I think there's room for the two to coexist. Epic 40K was roommates with 40K proper for quite some time during the official releases.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Which is why it would be part of a new edition of Epic instead, where it would have design space

The person I was responding to specifically suggested that epic would be an AT expansion :shrug:

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I don't see Epic getting released anytime soon, if ever. The most likely avenue to get it back was doing it in the HH as an expansion to AT, HH becoming a headline 28mm game ended that for sure. Not to mention there is such a rich ecosystem of epic 40k proxies and prints that it would be hard for GW to relaunch without redoing 100% of the 6mm lines.

I do think BFG will be back inside the next 5 years. Possibly also set in the HH this time around, it would make way more sense for such a niche game. Tons of variety of ships, kits can be painted either as loyalist or traitor, and really important, the game mechanics will work the same for each side. The only thing that makes me think they'd set it in 40k is because of how iconic the Imperial ships from BFG are.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

I don't see Epic getting released anytime soon, if ever. The most likely avenue to get it back was doing it in the HH as an expansion to AT, HH becoming a headline 28mm game ended that for sure. Not to mention there is such a rich ecosystem of epic 40k proxies and prints that it would be hard for GW to relaunch without redoing 100% of the 6mm lines.

I do think BFG will be back inside the next 5 years. Possibly also set in the HH this time around, it would make way more sense for such a niche game. Tons of variety of ships, kits can be painted either as loyalist or traitor, and really important, the game mechanics will work the same for each side. The only thing that makes me think they'd set it in 40k is because of how iconic the Imperial ships from BFG are.

At least the Chaos ship designs don't have to change - they are 30k designs anyways!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chin up everything sucks posted:

At least the Chaos ship designs don't have to change - they are 30k designs anyways!

So are the 40k Imperials!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

mllaneza posted:

So are the 40k Imperials!

The Imperials ships are mostly newer designs, and by newer I mean only 4-6k years old. There is one Grand Crusade era ship the Imperials can take, and it explicitly has a bad reputation because so many of that class had joined traitor fleets