Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Their fuel consumption rate isn’t as much as the Abrams but it isn’t nothing either. Fuel cubes in suvs may be enough to keep some APCs going but if you want a full offensive you do need serious fuel.

The Ukrainians will still try something but I have a hard time seeing it go far without fuel, ask the Germans.

I'm sure they'll draw up a plan that relies on capturing Russian fuel dumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Grimnarsson posted:

Ukrainians have every right to remember the famine of 1932-33, how it affected Ukraine and Ukrainians specifically. I'd say it's even understandable if Ukrainians see the famine as it affected them in harsher terms than others and want to use the harshest possible terminology to describe it.

I mean, they also helped do their own genocide around the same time period. Plus the whole issue of "using the famine as an excuse to do ethnic cleansing of Russians."

I don't have a lot of sympathy for this sort of thing in the present. Most people won't have any living relatives directly impacted, so it's the sort of thing you have to be either manipulated into by national propaganda (the most common cause, and the entire reason they view it as a genocide to begin with), or just work yourself into a frenzy about. I'm Jewish and the idea of getting really angry about it because of the personal connection to the holocaust doesn't really make sense (and that's referring to an actual undisputed genocide). While it's true that I still dislike most of the countries that were involved (one of which is Ukraine itself), that's only because they still suck and have been directly embracing the same people and ideas that caused the holocaust (and I'd feel that way regardless of ancestry). In some world where countries like Germany or Latvia weren't terrible, I would hold no ill will towards them.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Frosted Flake posted:

I'm sure they'll draw up a plan that relies on capturing Russian fuel dumps.

They can probably make it work if they just offered to buy them.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Ardennes posted:

Their fuel consumption rate isn’t as much as the Abrams but it isn’t nothing either. Fuel cubes in suvs may be enough to keep some APCs going but if you want a full offensive you do need serious fuel.

The Ukrainians will still try something but I have a hard time seeing it go far without fuel, ask the Germans.

Maybe the ukrainians can start refining syngas fuel out of coal, just like the nazis

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

OK, but if you only get 14 tanks you only need 88 SUVs, I hear

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

"gently caress, it looks like I have to defeat 20 Ukrainian soldiers with throwing knives this week, this is going to suck"

and all that work just for a STALKER gas mask painted to look like rick and/or morty

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

:thunk:

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

god can you imagine a bunch of people supporting their country when their country does an invasion. how can Russia be so backwards.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
maybe the west going 'the objective is now the dissolution of the Russian state, they must be crushed for at least a generation' was counter-productive in that it gave the game away to even some of the Russian liberals

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

maybe the west going 'the objective is now the dissolution of the Russian state, they must be crushed for at least a generation' was counter-productive in that it gave the game away to even some of the Russian liberals

Yeah only some…plenty of die herds exist it is just they usually live out of the country. Granted, I have a very hard time getting anything out of Russian liberals in exile, they come off as a bit culty and sort of doesn’t matter what the West wants to do to the country. The US could open up with its strategic arsenal and they would give it a shrug.

Best Friends posted:

god can you imagine a bunch of people supporting their country when their country does an invasion. how can Russia be so backwards.

Yeah the attitude from my experience is less of dislike for Ukraine or really supporting the invasion in the first place but more “this is a real war and we need to stick together and support the country.”

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:13 on Mar 23, 2023

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

Yeah only some…plenty of die herds exist it is just they usually live out of the country. Granted, i have a very hard time getting anything out of Russian liberals in exile, they come off as a bit culty and sort of doesn’t matter what the West wants to do to the country. The US could open up with its strategic arsenal and they would give it a shrug.

yeah libs gonna lib whatever nation or culture

absolutely no ideals or beliefs, it's just weird surface bullshit so of course they don't care what the west has planned, they're all computer touchers that can live everywhere and will just keep moving so they can have mcdonald burger. Good for them, just wish twitter didn't exist so they no one had to read their weird expat opinions

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/aaronjmate/status/1638298752875102215

how many adrien zenzs' does the state department and ned fund these days

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Regarde Aduck posted:

yeah libs gonna lib whatever nation or culture

absolutely no ideals or beliefs, it's just weird surface bullshit so of course they don't care what the west has planned, they're all computer touchers that can live everywhere and will just keep moving so they can have mcdonald burger. Good for them, just wish twitter didn't exist so they no one had to read their weird expat opinions

I think Russian liberals, perhaps because they are much more of a minority, do seem more hardcore than other types of liberal. In late September, they really did clear out of Moscow all at once but at the same time yeah they aren’t loyal to anyone but themselves obviously.

It is also usually the only way Westerns get an opinion on Russia because not only their opinions but usually they are the ones to make a concerted effort to learn English (but that is par for course).

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:18 on Mar 23, 2023

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Medvedev is not the most, uh, dispassionate voice on the Russian side but assuming he means 1500 brand-new MBTs and he's not exaggerating this is a pretty bad statistic for the Ukrainians.
https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1638809561045037057

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/GraphicW5/status/1638992489418727424?t=c8ST3V_uWAIdHRlFRZx6Ig

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

sum posted:

Medvedev is not the most, uh, dispassionate voice on the Russian side but assuming he means 1500 brand-new MBTs and he's not exaggerating this is a pretty bad statistic for the Ukrainians.
https://twitter.com/AZgeopolitics/status/1638809561045037057

Is 1500 even remotely realistic? I feel like this is Medvedev hoping for 1500.

That said even just 300 would be more than the West is currently delivering so who knows. Shoot for the stars.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Slavvy posted:

I've seen a dude change an in tank fuel filter with a cigarette in his mouth right over the open hole with 60L of premium unleaded. The danger is vastly overstated and afaik the m113 runs effectively jet fuel which is much harder to ignite.

You can drop a lit match into petrol and it will just snuff out. You can attack diesel with a blowtorch and it'll just smoke a whole lot without catching fire.

The m113 has a detroit diesel 6V53T engine, so it can run on the kerosene based jp8, but it's just a commercial diesel engine.

Ardennes posted:

An Abrams has a gas tank of 1,850 liters, and most commercial SUVs can take 1,100 pounds max and that is dry weight. If they were holding 600 pounds of fuel each (considering it is going to be sloshing around), you would need 7 SUVs worth of fuel haulers just to fill it up.

I don’t know how the Ukrainians are even going to do a Kherson style offensive.

Unless you're talking about crossovers, an SUV should be able to carry much more than that from personal experience, even if it's not rated for it. That said, that's a van of some sort so should be fine with a ton. A 1 cubic meter IBC of diesel weighs ~850kg.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dixon Chisholm posted:

i dont. why would ukraine do such a thing?

Bandera wasn’t a nice or good guy.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Not So Fast posted:

That said even just 300 would be more than the West is currently delivering so who knows. Shoot for the stars.

Build 300 tanks and then an additional 1200 cardboard tanks to soak up drone and missile fire.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Not So Fast posted:

PROCALCULATE

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Not So Fast posted:

Maybe theyll refurbish 1500 tanks from storage. Make 1500 new tanks? no way

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Not So Fast posted:

1500 tanks, 200 of which are main battle type and 1200 of which are fish type. 100 unaccounted for.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Dixon Chisholm posted:

catholics raus
this thread belongs to ahura mazda

a fine fire jumping to you too!

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
yeah that 1500 number has gotta include T-72's upgraded to B3 standard etc

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Belaguida leveling up
https://twitter.com/tsihanouskaya/status/1638985149382795264
https://twitter.com/tsihanouskaya/status/1638998057978306560

Deputy Secretary Sherman’s Meeting with Belarusian Democratic Leader Tsikhanouskaya - United States Department of State

www.state.gov posted:

The following is attributable to Principal Deputy Spokesperson Vedant Patel:

Deputy Secretary of State Wendy Sherman met with Belarusian Democratic Leader Svyatlana Tsikhanouskaya today in Washington, D.C. In advance of Belarus Freedom Day on March 25, the Deputy Secretary expressed the United States’ continuing commitment to supporting the Belarusian people’s pursuit of a democratic, sovereign, and stable future for Belarus.

Deputy Secretary Sherman also shared with Ms. Tsikhanouskaya the United States’ intent to launch a comprehensive Strategic Dialogue with the Belarusian democratic movement and civil society beginning in late 2023. Deputy Secretary Sherman and Ms. Tsikhanouskaya shared their hope that the Strategic Dialogue will bring together relevant agencies of the U.S. government engaged on Belarus as well as a broad cross-section of Belarusian democratic actors, including political leaders, civil society representatives, independent journalists, human rights defenders, lawyers, union leaders, academics, and ordinary Belarusians.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Weka posted:

The m113 has a detroit diesel 6V53T engine, so it can run on the kerosene based jp8, but it's just a commercial diesel engine.

Unless you're talking about crossovers, an SUV should be able to carry much more than that from personal experience, even if it's not rated for it. That said, that's a van of some sort so should be fine with a ton. A 1 cubic meter IBC of diesel weighs ~850kg.

It is a pretty small van having to use muddy back roads while still being nimble enough to dodge hazards. I kind of doubt they have a ton of fuel sloshing around back there.

OctaMurk posted:

Maybe theyll refurbish 1500 tanks from storage. Make 1500 new tanks? no way

It seems like Uralvagonzavod was working around the clock, and sizable shipments already came from the factory. He very well may mean t-90/72b3ms in addition to the t-62s. It is also unclear what Omsk is doing.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Luv 2 B a Traitor 4 America

lol Belorussian Guaidó

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Not So Fast posted:

The Soviet Union was rolling out thousands of MBTs a year in peacetime conditions in the 1980s and many of those factories are now owned by the Russian state. It's hardly impossible.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

sum posted:

The Soviet Union was rolling out thousands of MBTs a year in peacetime conditions in the 1980s and many of those factories are now owned by the Russian state. It's hardly impossible.

There is no chance Russia built 1500 new tanks in a year this year or last.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
russia is run by libs

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

sum posted:

lol this isn't the Russia of the 1980's, state owned factories or not

sum
Nov 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

There is no chance Russia built 1500 new tanks in a year this year or last.

It's ludicrously implausible that a state-owned defense manufacturer could massively ramp up production above peacetime output 13 months into a war

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat

Ukraine, as the true successor of the USSR, inheritor of the UN Security Council seat, will be held accountable for the holodomor.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

sum posted:

yes it is

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

sum posted:

It's ludicrously implausible that a state-owned defense manufacturer could massively ramp up production above peacetime output 13 months into a war

believe what you want. 1500 new tanks in the last year is fantasy.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

believe what you want. 1500 new tanks in the last year is fantasy.

The quote was "we will make 1500 new tanks this year." Goddamn you're such a nuisance.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

i think its fair to say russia has experienced plenty of neo-liberal rot that 1500 tanks is probably highly implausible

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
mlmp seething about it means it's real and accurate

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
A large part of soviet tank production infrastructure was in Kharkov, which is in Ukraine, so that comparisons a but problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Throatwarbler posted:

A large part of soviet tank production infrastructure was in Kharkov, which is in Ukraine, so that comparisons a but problematic.

I think that problem is being solved atm.

Just call T-80UM the comeback kid.