Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i would like to say i just was loling at a bad post i dunno what mags is doing lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Jose Valasquez posted:

I know you've only been here for like 5 minutes, but you may not realize that people's involvement with Mafia games ebbs and flows and it doesn't mean they aren't part of the broader Mafia community. Maybe consider that the people who have been actively involved in the community for more than a decade have opinions worth listening to even if they aren't actively playing or modding games at this moment. New players are worth listening too as well! It's just a community that likes playing a party game on a dead forum every now and again, not skull and bones

I myself like to come in every now and then to dazzle the young bucks with my prowess as scum before once again slipping away to the comforts of shitposting on Discord until I emerge again like a cicada

The opinions of people who don't play mafia are certainly valid. But it should be noted (for people like mods and admins who don't poke their head around these parts very much) that there are a lot of people itt trying to decide How SA Mafia Should Be™ without actually playing it.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

i would like to say i just was loling at a bad post i dunno what mags is doing lmao

I’m :justpost:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Mr. F! posted:

It is though. This is a very small thing. The IK will literally never do anything. It won’t affect ongoing games at all.

an IK would presumably be someone trusted by the community to handle interpersonal flareups without undue bias or callousness, as well as someone willing to poke people who are being awful or obnoxious but not in an against-the-rules way

I think it's true that the community mostly self-polices, but I know when I was running games I always felt really bad when people were getting super heated and had a lot of trouble getting myself to chime in for fear of biasing the game or overstepping, which would hopefully be a good space for an IK to act

or maybe that'd be too much too, idk

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Think bif would also be great as like half of the folks M2RR brought up (is that the best/preferred way to shorten your username?), but also seems like we are at pretty good consensus that “list of outside posters” would be the best solution for now and fingers crossed we never have to revisit this convo

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i give up on this gif, maybe instead the new avatar could be the monster from frankenstien, that way people are like "wait so the f in mr. f is suppose to be frankenstien, but that is the doctor" and then we can really annoy people

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

chaoslord posted:

Think bif would also be great as like half of the folks M2RR brought up (is that the best/preferred way to shorten your username?), but also seems like we are at pretty good consensus that “list of outside posters” would be the best solution for now and fingers crossed we never have to revisit this convo

Yknow, I've never seen anyone shorten it to M2RR before but I like it, you're ok people chaoslord.

Also, yes, sure, toss Bif into my shortlist of decent candidates. But it really does seem like the majority opinion at this point is that an IK isn't really needed, and the "list of people who you can talk to that don't suck" feels like an excellent alternative.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

with my six games played in the past year i am entitled to 36 characters of suggestions:

it would be great if, in the future, we could

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Jen X posted:

I'd nominate bif as an extremely good person who's been playing for a while (if not since, like, prehistory) but I think he'd reject it out of hand

Of course I would, Jen you were IN the soldiers game what the absolute gently caress lmao

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

wologar posted:

Ecco may or may not be the best person for the job. I don't know her directly, so I can't be sure either way.

However, it weirds me out that she has been so adamant on getting it.

Ecco has always been a bit self righteous

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Jen X posted:

an IK would presumably be someone trusted by the community to handle interpersonal flareups without undue bias or callousness, as well as someone willing to poke people who are being awful or obnoxious but not in an against-the-rules way

I think it's true that the community mostly self-polices, but I know when I was running games I always felt really bad when people were getting super heated and had a lot of trouble getting myself to chime in for fear of biasing the game or overstepping, which would hopefully be a good space for an IK to act

or maybe that'd be too much too, idk

That makes sense. I could see it in that regard, in which case it makes sense to have it be someone who doesn’t play as much anymore because they can empathize with getting carried away without seeming biased against the person who’s mad

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

"of course I would" meaning of course I would reject it, in case that wasn't clear, good lord do not even hand me even minimal meaningless responsibility

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Snooze Cruise posted:

i give up on this gif, maybe instead the new avatar could be the monster from frankenstien, that way people are like "wait so the f in mr. f is suppose to be frankenstien, but that is the doctor" and then we can really annoy people

I like this idea

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

wologar posted:

Ecco may or may not be the best person for the job. I don't know her directly, so I can't be sure either way.

However, it weirds me out that she has been so adamant on getting it.

it's a bit, op

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Hotel Soap is super proud of his little perfumed balls that never get dirty or stinky

My Second Re-Reg posted:

lmao

A bunch of people who don't play Mafia anymore boosting up an IK who almost never plays Mafia anymore

Who the gently caress are all you people?? Ecco has... what, run one game in the last year? Most of you I've never even seen before?

An admin comes in and literally says "I never have any reports about the Mafia threads" - maybe that means we don't need to screw with the current setup by giving IK powers to someone who's disconnected from the actual goings on of Mafia in 2023?

Who tf are you

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I think we should all get along

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

let's all take a deep breath and see who is still playing mafia in may

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

My Second Re-Reg posted:

How so? Sure, you're familiar, we've actually played before - but am I beholden to sucking up to the opinions of a whole bunch of people who aren't active in the Mafia community? So what if there are people posting here who used to be into Mafia - they aren't now, and really shouldn't be attempting to steer a community they left a long time ago.

I mean, I don't even really think we need a special mafia subform IK to begin with, but it isn't like the mafia community has changed all that much that ecco or someone else couldn't fill the role just fine. The game hasn't really changed, just the terms we use.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

My Second Re-Reg posted:

How so? Sure, you're familiar, we've actually played before - but am I beholden to sucking up to the opinions of a whole bunch of people who aren't active in the Mafia community? So what if there are people posting here who used to be into Mafia - they aren't now, and really shouldn't be attempting to steer a community they left a long time ago.

If there's an actual show of support from the active community to get an IK in place, then go with it. But right now it's mostly people who don't play Mafia anymore asking for an IK who almost never plays Mafia anymore.

It shows a genuine disconnect from the state of SA Mafia in tyool 2023. If everyone feels like we absolutely have to have an IK there's no reason it should be somebody who isn't as active as... frankly any number of other people who would make a great fit. wologar, Maerlyn, Shell, HCT, Cloaca, Obama, Sandwolf, Yami, gently caress it give the goddamn star to b-minus1 or something but make the choice relevant to the current community.

Are you disrespecting the mafia council

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Bifauxnen posted:

Of course I would, Jen you were IN the soldiers game what the absolute gently caress lmao

you're recognizable to most players (I think) and nice enough that people wouldn't be scared of talking to you unless you wanted them to be

I might be biased by familiarity though because old mafia bifauxnen was terrifying

in my mind IKs wouldn't be relied on to solve big issues, just, like, act as someone to say something to who could then transmit it to the mods, but the fact that no one seems sure of what an IK would actually do is somewhat damning in and of itself

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Sandwolf posted:

The group of veteran players who have largely not played at all recently to come get a slam in on a currently active player is the cliques you old folks have been railing against. Come on.

I agree with this.

I think this is my perspective someone that's been playing for a while, and I think this could be useful context for people that joined more recently:

Many of the discord RPGs, especially the ones that caused the current conversation, recruited heavily from mafia posters and members of the mafia community - many of those posters kind of stopped playing mafia in favor of discord RPGs, but they're still recognizable to players from that era as mafia players, and speaking personally, I kinda feel like I let down the community because it happened as an offshoot of the mafia community, while I was playing mafia, if that makes sense? I think players who weren't around for that may, pretty understandably, see the games as completely independent of mafia.

I do think there's a lot of structural differences that make mafia less likely to have particularly bad outcomes - there's minimal roleplaying beyond gimmick posting, most of the surprises and twists would come from mechanics, and not story beats, most of the game takes place on the forums themselves, and most discords will have spectators reading communications.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Snooze Cruise posted:

Ok, so best drawing of Frankenstein wins then

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Mr. F! posted:

I like this idea

here you go

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Sandwolf posted:

The group of veteran players who have largely not played at all recently to come get a slam in on a currently active player is the cliques you old folks have been railing against. Come on.

I'm not slamming him , It's just kinda messed up to tell a bunch of people that they are no longer relevant and don;t have a say in anything.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

See I think there’s a tone issue here, we’re all (ostensibly) friends (or perspective new friends) trying to figure out what needs to happen to our community. There doesn’t need to be an us vs them. We’re all on the same team.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Voodoofly posted:

I should say up front I don't think there should be a mafia IK. If the TG forum needs an IK, pick one that works for the forum. If there is a desire to install a bunch of IK's make a new thread and have it open to everyone in TG to discuss and consider.

Otherwise, though, I'd much rather have a big list of people in the mafia community (old, new, whatever) that people can be referred to, preferably a list that constantly changes. The bigger the better, as a community shouldn't be defined by one, or even a few, select people. And if someone doesn't feel comfortable discussing the issues within the community, then the next step should be to someone NOT involved with mafia, like Leper and Anti. I mostly know leper from bitching about San Francisco but they have always seemed cool. I know Anti from Thunderdome and I can't think of a better person as an outside resource to the community.

Honestly, if there is a Mafia IK I think it should be someone who is relatively new to the scene, not someone with long ties to the people that might be causing the problems. The need for escalation outside of the community is partly to ensure you aren't dealing with inherent power structures and existing relationships and biases (or even just perceived biases).

So, yeah, I don't really care if TG installs an IK, but I really don't like the idea of some perceived position of power or responsibility that is directly related to the SA Mafia Community.

Hard agree here

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

Eileen

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok the idea here is to get ideas and have a chat as a community, we don't need to have a referendum on whether or not Ecco is cool/good/etc. which seems a bit of a harsh thing to subject them to.

It sounds like generally folks feel an IK for all of TGR is a good idea and that restores the status quo we had for a couple of years; it sounds like the having buttons and ability to open/close threads aspects of a Mafia IK aren't needed, and if the community needs leaders who can suggest nicely to someone to slow their roll a bit from time to time, those people don't necessarily need to be officially sanctioned by SA mod team IKs.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

Sandwolf posted:

“It’s not cool for someone to feel uncomfortable here”

“Hey this guy said something an old group of players dislikes, get him!!”

Sounds like the mafia I remember

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

Ok the idea here is to get ideas and have a chat as a community, we don't need to have a referendum on whether or not Ecco is cool/good/etc. which seems a bit of a harsh thing to subject them to.

It sounds like generally folks feel an IK for all of TGR is a good idea and that restores the status quo we had for a couple of years; it sounds like the having buttons and ability to open/close threads aspects of a Mafia IK aren't needed, and if the community needs leaders who can suggest nicely to someone to slow their roll a bit from time to time, those people don't necessarily need to be officially sanctioned by SA mod team IKs.

this seems about right

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

CapitalistPig posted:

I'm not slamming him , It's just kinda messed up to tell a bunch of people that they are no longer relevant and don;t have a say in anything.

It’s also kinda messed up when we’ve been having community wide conversations about people being comfortable in this community, only to have the members of the community come in and attack someone because they basically don’t recognize them?

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

Mr. F! posted:

See I think there’s a tone issue here, we’re all (ostensibly) friends (or perspective new friends) trying to figure out what needs to happen to our community. There doesn’t need to be an us vs them. We’re all on the same team.

I am well noted for being a loudly opinionated cockbite, so for what it's worth I agree with this and mean zero ill posting will toward anybody.

DGK2000
May 3, 2007

CapitalistPig posted:

"Get on the cart" "But I'm not dead yet!"

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

My Second Re-Reg posted:

I am well noted for being a loudly opinionated cockbite, so for what it's worth I agree with this and mean zero ill posting will toward anybody.

You have a legitimate point and you maybe broached it a little aggressively but it is not valid to loving take turns making GBS threads on you because they disagree with you. I can’t believe I have to say this right now.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

My Second Re-Reg posted:

hell yeah :cheersdoge:

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

You have a legitimate point and you maybe broached it a little aggressively but it is not valid to loving take turns making GBS threads on you because they disagree with you. I can’t believe I have to say this right now.

you don't have to say it because it isn't on point. relax.

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

t a s t e posted:

you don't have to say it because it isn't on point. relax.

Here’s something on point: more than one member of the current-mafia playing community has reached out to me to complain about what y’all just did.

Now what?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Sandwolf posted:

Here’s something on point: more than one member of the current-mafia playing community has reached out to me to complain about what y’all just did.

Now what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_rWobeH7t0

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Sandwolf posted:

I very strongly agree with Sandwolf here. I think we should focus on discussing if/what can and should be done to make the community safer and more comfortable for people, posts that are infighting/personal don't accomplish this goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

oh my loving god dude