Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Another thing to remember about distilled and RO water is prolonged exposure to metals other than stainless steel, the water is going to accelerate the rust. This is due to having no ions and ions will move from high concentration (the metal) to low concentration (water). If you go into any modern lab, all of the distilled/RO water is dispensed from plastic taps because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Jhet posted:

The radiator might be trashed, you'll have to clean everything up and take a good look at all the connections to make sure they haven't corroded open. The pump you can at least test in some water, but those are intended to remain submerged. Give it a good clean before testing. The stainless steel should be fine, it's not reactive normally with aluminum or copper, but you're going to want to clean it thoroughly with probably some vinegar and a caustic as well.

Forgot to update here, shortly after posting I drained and flushed everything with plain tap water followed by PBW, the water in the conical was barely discolored so I'm not worried about that, the water in the plate chiller was more discolored but it's not leaking so I think that's good as well. But the best news is that after a cursory wipe down of the radiator I powered it on and it still gets freezing cold! I still need to do a thorough cleaning with cotton swabs or something but it seems like even though the copper was reactive and clearly corroding I'm guessing the solder isn't or at least not to the same extent and it seems like even with the very narrow copper tubing not enough was corroded to spring any leaks. Also now that the radiator is out of the cooler there's actually not *that* much exposed copper, just the tubes leading to/from the compressor/condenser and the exposed U bends on the sides of the radiator. Seeing as it's a minimal and very visible/accessible amount of surface are I do think I could coat it all with some sort of inert buffer, just gotta figure out what exactly and how to apply without making a huge mess.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
is using spare corny kegs (that hold pressure) for fermentation a good idea or a bad idea if I already know roughly how long the fermentation period will be, I'm following an already tried recipe, and I'm using a yeast I'm used to?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Like, without a way to bleed off pressure? It's possible to transfer it into a sealed environment towards the end of fermentation if you are pretty sure how much further it has to go and naturally carbonate it that way, but if you're doing the entire ferment in the keg you will want a spunding valve.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
I can bleed off pressure manually if needed using the gas-in post, but not automatically, no. Could a keg not handle the accumulated pressure from fermentation?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Depends on the keg, but theoretically you could get to dangerous pressures with just beer. The safety valve will pop way before then, likely spraying beer all over your ceiling.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

JawKnee posted:

I can bleed off pressure manually if needed using the gas-in post, but not automatically, no. Could a keg not handle the accumulated pressure from fermentation?

Spend $30 on a spunding valve and then you can use your keg for fermenting. But you can’t fill it full or it will clog the valve with yeast and over pressurize. Krausen makes this a less useful proposition.

Buckets are cheaper though and you can transfer just past active ferment while it’s still finishing to the keg with the same spunding valve and it can be set to serving pressure.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I bought a spunding valve last year with the intent of doing pressure ferment in a keg. Just never got around to it, maybe this year!

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

calandryll posted:

I bought a spunding valve last year with the intent of doing pressure ferment in a keg. Just never got around to it, maybe this year!

I usually spund after 4-5 days of fermentation. I usually start at 10-12 PSI, but slowly get it to about 20 PSI by end of fermentation (pressure will lower to ~12-15 PSI during cooling of keg/serving) - this way I have a pressurized beer two weeks after pitching.

Also been thought by some that spunding helps preserve hop aromas. I can't say one way or the other.

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009
Hi all,

I'm a brewer in Vancouver who has just been given free reign on a 10 HL fermenter for the foreseeable future. The catch is all recipes have to go through our owner, a man of means with very little brewing savvy. He is insistent on making trendy, adjunct heavy beer. With that in mind, what would y'all consider to be the current trend in brewing today? Kettle sours? Session Ipas? Italian pilsner?Hop extracts?

Appreciate it, cheers

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Since you say adjunct-heavy I read that as "fruited to gently caress sweet Berliners" and "thick pastry stouts".

That's what the kids want to drink. Brewers, less so.

But brewers don't make a market.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Wouldn’t call it adjunct “heavy” but gose has some salt and coriander in there, great for the weather getting warmer

Pillow Armadillo
Nov 15, 2005

"Beware the Jabberwock, my son!"
At least in Colorado, IPAs are known in the craft industry as "bill players" - i.e. they sell consistently well and help keep the lights on in a lot of places.

Are you building recipes from scratch? There are a lot of fantastic style guides out there, but if I were head brewer at a place with 5 taps I'd do something like -

1. Imperial Pale Ale
2. Lager
3. Pilsner (several options here)
4. Wheat / seasonal
5. Baltic Porter

I think Vancouver is a place that would appreciate a well made Baltic Porter.

Edit: none of that addresses your adjunct goal though. What are the adjuncts?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Perry the Platypus posted:

Hi all,

I'm a brewer in Vancouver who has just been given free reign on a 10 HL fermenter for the foreseeable future. The catch is all recipes have to go through our owner, a man of means with very little brewing savvy. He is insistent on making trendy, adjunct heavy beer. With that in mind, what would y'all consider to be the current trend in brewing today? Kettle sours? Session Ipas? Italian pilsner?Hop extracts?

Appreciate it, cheers

Smoothie sours and pastry stouts seem to still be going strong in the meme beer world.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I have those smoothie sours every once and awhile, it's just too much sometimes. I had a strawberry rhubarb pie one last night that actually wasn't too bad. My wife loves those kind of beers, so usually why I have them in the house.

Depending on what you mean by adjunct, cream ales would be a good one. Cheap to make and the perfect time of year since it's starting to warm up.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

calandryll posted:

I have those smoothie sours every once and awhile, it's just too much sometimes. I had a strawberry rhubarb pie one last night that actually wasn't too bad. My wife loves those kind of beers, so usually why I have them in the house.

Depending on what you mean by adjunct, cream ales would be a good one. Cheap to make and the perfect time of year since it's starting to warm up.

I had a server tell me my cream ale wasn’t true to style because I didn’t add lactose.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

gamera009 posted:

I had a server tell me my cream ale wasn’t true to style because I didn’t add lactose.

Well that's a thing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Rye is an adjunct. Just saying. Rye pale ale, rye saison, rye stout... None of these things will be well liked by an adjunct loving owner.

I'm very tired of milkshake and smoothie "beer" being everywhere. Good IPAs are definitely bill payers though. I was looking at breweries in Vancouver, BC recently while planning a trip there and it seems to be fairly meme beer heavy? Please tell me where the brewer's brewery is and I will visit.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug

gamera009 posted:

I've read this three times and each time my mind blanks. That certainly is an interesting take.

Rye is also a great idea. I'd love to find someone making a roggenbier.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

The Oregon Beer Awards has a pastry beer category and last year’s winner was a “marionberry cheesecake” one :shepface:

Going for the first time this year so I’m looking forward to trying out some dumb gimmicky beers like this since a I’ve never had one. I’m sure I won’t like it but hey free is free

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Homebrew Con during club night is fun. I had a pizza beer. It tasted just like a pizza but could only drink like 2 oz. It was uh interesting and really thick.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I'm also extremely tired of pastry stouts, and I love stouts. There's a bar I really like in general that typically has a pretty good selection, but they go in big on current trends - they have some connection with a small local brewery and I think they test out a lot of beers for them. That's cool, but it does mean sometimes the menu seems to be their staples and ten variations on the flavour of the month, rather than a nice variety of styles and breweries.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
New hot beer trend idea: a nice, balanced 4.5% ESB.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

big scary monsters posted:

That's a petition I would sign.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
Not an ESB but Brulosophys short and shoddy dark English mild is really tasty. Definitely would recommend.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Having moved most recently from the UK to the US, yup.

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009
I tend to use adjuncts as a catch-all for fermentable ingredients outside of grains but... I shouldnt be. Basically a license to go hog wild is what we've been given.

Jhet posted:

Rye is an adjunct. Just saying. Rye pale ale, rye saison, rye stout... None of these things will be well liked by an adjunct loving owner.

I'm very tired of milkshake and smoothie "beer" being everywhere. Good IPAs are definitely bill payers though. I was looking at breweries in Vancouver, BC recently while planning a trip there and it seems to be fairly meme beer heavy? Please tell me where the brewer's brewery is and I will visit.

The brewery I work for is not for you, friend. Vancouver itself (downtownish area) has some decent spots but the real winners are out in Port Moody. Also, check out Dageraad if you're into Belgian beers, it's a lousy spot but great brew.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Perry the Platypus posted:

I tend to use adjuncts as a catch-all for fermentable ingredients outside of grains but... I shouldnt be. Basically a license to go hog wild is what we've been given.

The brewery I work for is not for you, friend. Vancouver itself (downtownish area) has some decent spots but the real winners are out in Port Moody. Also, check out Dageraad if you're into Belgian beers, it's a lousy spot but great brew.

I doubt I'll be able to convince the group to get out to Port Moody on this trip. I'll still stick them on my visit list. Vancouver is close enough to do weekend trips, but we're staying near Rogers Arena this time. Can probably make it to the Downtown eastside, but we're hanging out with friends and I expect it will be the sort of visit where we empty wine bottles instead of beer cans. I'd settle for finding a decent bottle shop this time around.

Options for ingredients outside beer ingredients that I think are interesting: lemongrass, Sichuan peppercorn, rose petals, hibiscus, jasmine, wormwood, anise/fennel, mushrooms, seaweed, stinging nettle (in the mash liquor), juniper berries. Otherwise just look at a list of fruits/veg. A lot of vegetables will convert after boiling them, so you could toss steamed whole potatoes in or get some koji-rice and have some fun with your grist. Buckwheat is also tasty, but I haven't used it yet and you can toss rye loaves into the mash too. Past that and I think you're looking in the breakfast cereal or candy aisle and that's where I draw the line for myself.

Perry the Platypus
Aug 7, 2009

Jhet posted:

I doubt I'll be able to convince the group to get out to Port Moody on this trip. I'll still stick them on my visit list. Vancouver is close enough to do weekend trips, but we're staying near Rogers Arena this time. Can probably make it to the Downtown eastside, but we're hanging out with friends and I expect it will be the sort of visit where we empty wine bottles instead of beer cans. I'd settle for finding a decent bottle shop this time around.

Options for ingredients outside beer ingredients that I think are interesting: lemongrass, Sichuan peppercorn, rose petals, hibiscus, jasmine, wormwood, anise/fennel, mushrooms, seaweed, stinging nettle (in the mash liquor), juniper berries. Otherwise just look at a list of fruits/veg. A lot of vegetables will convert after boiling them, so you could toss steamed whole potatoes in or get some koji-rice and have some fun with your grist. Buckwheat is also tasty, but I haven't used it yet and you can toss rye loaves into the mash too. Past that and I think you're looking in the breakfast cereal or candy aisle and that's where I draw the line for myself.

Strathcona, Superflux, and Strange Fellows are worth a visit on that side of town. Appreciate the feedback.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

This. I have a policy when visit a brewery for the first time. If there’s a bitter, it’s the first thing I order.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
What malts do you guys like to keep on hand besides 2-row? I have 3 airtight containers that should be able to hold 10-20lbs of grain, and I think I might use a couple of them to store specialty malts with the 3rd being used to store my milled grains for brew day. Right now I'm leaning towards Munich and a crystal malt. I use red rye crystal and golden naked oats quite a bit more than traditional crystals, though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Dzus posted:

What malts do you guys like to keep on hand besides 2-row? I have 3 airtight containers that should be able to hold 10-20lbs of grain, and I think I might use a couple of them to store specialty malts with the 3rd being used to store my milled grains for brew day. Right now I'm leaning towards Munich and a crystal malt. I use red rye crystal and golden naked oats quite a bit more than traditional crystals, though.

I normally keep 2-row ale malt, 2-row Euro pils, and malted wheat in full sack volumes. I also sometimes will grab a sack of malted rye. Everything else I buy and use in small enough quantity that it wouldn't make sense to keep more than 1-2 pounds for a year.

Munich or brown malt would be the only exception of up to 5-10 pounds in a year.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Dzus posted:

I’ve got big tubs each of Pilsner, Munich and Vienna and then two smaller ones with some CaraAroma and Carafa Special II to adjust color and aroma. I stick with German styles so between those I can put together just about any beer I’d personally want.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

I recently got a job at a local homebrew supplier so I have access to all sorts of ingredients and a great discount and ironically I just haven’t been brewing since I got here :shrug:

I’m supposed to be using the store’s brewzilla to make something so I learn about all-in-one systems but just haven’t found the time or energy

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Pillbug
I'm do pretty much what everyone else has mentioned.

I do have a question about color. I just finished a SMASH pilsner and it came out a lot lighter, almost a barely yellow color. I've seen other people do similar beers come out much darker. What am I doing wrong to get a lighter color? Boil time is 60 minutes.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

calandryll posted:

I'm do pretty much what everyone else has mentioned.

I do have a question about color. I just finished a SMASH pilsner and it came out a lot lighter, almost a barely yellow color. I've seen other people do similar beers come out much darker. What am I doing wrong to get a lighter color? Boil time is 60 minutes.

Boiling longer (which you might want to do with pilsner malt anyway to avoid DMS), or decoction. Without adding another malt I'm not sure what else you can do.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I crunched the math and I would have to brew for like 27 years to break even on a malt mill, so I just get my stuff milled to order.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

thotsky posted:

I crunched the math and I would have to brew for like 27 years to break even on a malt mill, so I just get my stuff milled to order.

I paid $99 for a Cereal Killer and it's paid for itself multiple times over just in the savings buying base malt by the sack.

But even if it didn't, I like being able to have enough ingredients at home that I usually don't need to go to the LHBS for every brew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The LHBS is cutting way back on stock so yeast management has become a necessity. It might get to a point where I have to buy grain in bulk too but we're not there quite yet.