Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

GreenNight posted:

I read the summary and it didn't seem interesting, what makes it insane?

It's got kind of a fever dream thing going for it, maybe to the point of being a negative in the first episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Finished Breaking Bad. It's definitely not as bad as Weeds. I'd be a little annoyed he got to go out killing a bunch of his enemies and is never arrested, but those guys sucked so I was glad they died. Most impressive thing of the season was making me root for Marie. I was hoping her little therapy poison thing was a chekov gun but just red herring. Good show, I'm glad the main heroes badger and skinny Pete made it out okay

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

GreenNight posted:

I read the summary and it didn't seem interesting, what makes it insane?

It's Glover doing an entire season of Teddy Perkins/3 Slaps complete with a true crime episode of B.A.N

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
This week's American Auto owned. The cast has such great chemistry, but the vibe I got from this episode was that they knew they were being cancelled so they just wanted to have a lot of fun and gently caress around for a bit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGzkeRHG5Zw

I love Bob and I love this show, but didn't he just have a heart attack? How did anyone think this was a good idea?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Is taking a single bite of a spicy chicken wing really that dangerous? Like generally no one on that show goes to town on them and its not an eating competition or something they're overindulging in. I dunno. I don't have a heart condition. I've eaten spicy food that gots me flustered or my heart rate going but like... then I stop and nothing escalates fast enough to be an issue beyond my comfort.

But again, I don't actually know. I'd assume "don't eat spicy food" is standard. But I also don't know if I consider that the same thing as what they do on that show? I dunno.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

STAC Goat posted:

Is taking a single bite of a spicy chicken wing really that dangerous? Like generally no one on that show goes to town on them and its not an eating competition or something they're overindulging in. I dunno. I don't have a heart condition. I've eaten spicy food that gots me flustered or my heart rate going but like... then I stop and nothing escalates fast enough to be an issue beyond my comfort.

But again, I don't actually know. I'd assume "don't eat spicy food" is standard. But I also don't know if I consider that the same thing as what they do on that show? I dunno.

I have zero tolerance for spicy food, and there's been a few times where I've gotten wings with mild sauce and they mixed it up with hot sauce, and just biting down on the wing and getting a mouthful led to pain for the entire night. And that's typical Buffalo Wild Wings hot sauce, much less the "this is painfully hot" stuff they try on Hot Ones.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

As someone who's had a heart attack, no it's not a risk presuming the heart attack was caused by a clot and there's no serious underlying damage that prevents your heart-rate from being elevated.

Heart attacks are normally (not always) caused by plaque breaking off of a fat deposit in the artery and the blood clotting around it. It can be easier for that clot to block an artery if there's other narrowing happening due to other deposits, but that usually doesn't change the outcome much. The exact reason WHY those unstable plaques decide to break off to kick the process off is really unknown and it's likely triggered more by chronic inflammation that weakens the fibrous wall that holds them on to the artery than any one single event.

At this point (assuming his heart attack was of the common trigger type), he will have been on high doses of statins for months. Statins, on top of lowering your cholesterol, actually have the effect of thickening the fibrous wall holding unstable plaques to your arteries, stabilizing them.

Current heart attack recovery guidelines, assuming there's no serious damage to the heart that could lead to heart failure, is to actually get back to normal activity as soon as possible. They had me out of bed hours after putting the stents in and I was home from the hospital in 3 days. I had a 100% blockage of the right coronary artery.

Extreme stress events can trigger adrenaline that elevates heart rate, spikes blood pressure, and narrows arteries which COULD trigger a plaque to break off, but those are really outliers. About the only activity that you should never ever ever do after a heart attack (or, really, anyone over 40) is shovel snow.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Mar 23, 2023

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
He's not DJ Khaled, he's a grown man with a real brain who can definitely know if he's cut out to eat some edibly spicy hot sauces that people enjoy and put on food for fun and pleasure anyway. He barely broke a sweat.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I love how to this day DJ Khaled is the big meme loser of Hot Ones.

Even James loving Corden managed to eat all the wings.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

AceOfFlames posted:

DJ Khaled seemed like a big loser long before that

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's literally the richest man in the world (in terms of sneakers)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

AceOfFlames posted:

DJ Khaled is not exactly a man famous for eating.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

AceOfFlames posted:

I've never even seen this episode and I still lmao at this

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Season 2 of Shadow and Bone is a big improvement, feels less like a CW young adult show.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

ninjahedgehog posted:

I've never even seen this episode and I still lmao at this

Looks like he couldn't have *puts on sunglasses* another one.

wontgetfooledagainscream.wav

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Oasx posted:

Season 2 of Shadow and Bone is a big improvement, feels less like a CW young adult show.

They keep feeding me promos. How hard is the first season to get through? Love some magic fantasy poo poo but if I never see a lovesick teenager again it'll be too soon.

Speaking of media teens, between Breaking Bad, this dumb Netflix horror movie I have on, and some other shows recently, I have to wonder if some teens really are that obsessed with their parents. I love my parents but some of these teens all worked up and in their parents business feels alien to me.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

DJ Khaled seemed like a big loser long before that

uh thats his appeal. remember when he did an insta story about getting lost at sea haha

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Khanstant posted:

They keep feeding me promos. How hard is the first season to get through? Love some magic fantasy poo poo but if I never see a lovesick teenager again it'll be too soon.

I just re-watched the first season, and it doesn't quite hold up so well on a second viewing. But there is still a lot of fun magic, and the Crows are great characters. I think it's worth giving it a shot.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Khanstant posted:

There is lovesick teenager crap but it's fairly subdued relative to other YA stuff. Honestly of all YA stuff I've watched or read it's probably the most tolerable for adults. I say watch it.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Oasx posted:

Hey, thanks for the reminder!

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1638994348158377985

Looten Plunder posted:

I'm four episodes in and Swarm is loving insane. Watch it people. Dominique Fishback is an absolute powerhouse.

It absolutely seems like my poo poo, I'm gonna check it out.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Someone hould tell him that the well was already plumbed dry by 1500 sharknado movies.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Did Tommy Wiseau finally still misunderstand the secret joke of The Room or did some Sharknado types just figure he'd be a good draw to their intentionally bad movies?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

bull3964 posted:

As someone who's had a heart attack, no it's not a risk presuming the heart attack was caused by a clot and there's no serious underlying damage that prevents your heart-rate from being elevated.

Heart attacks are normally (not always) caused by plaque breaking off of a fat deposit in the artery and the blood clotting around it. It can be easier for that clot to block an artery if there's other narrowing happening due to other deposits, but that usually doesn't change the outcome much. The exact reason WHY those unstable plaques decide to break off to kick the process off is really unknown and it's likely triggered more by chronic inflammation that weakens the fibrous wall that holds them on to the artery than any one single event.

At this point (assuming his heart attack was of the common trigger type), he will have been on high doses of statins for months. Statins, on top of lowering your cholesterol, actually have the effect of thickening the fibrous wall holding unstable plaques to your arteries, stabilizing them.

Current heart attack recovery guidelines, assuming there's no serious damage to the heart that could lead to heart failure, is to actually get back to normal activity as soon as possible. They had me out of bed hours after putting the stents in and I was home from the hospital in 3 days. I had a 100% blockage of the right coronary artery.

Extreme stress events can trigger adrenaline that elevates heart rate, spikes blood pressure, and narrows arteries which COULD trigger a plaque to break off, but those are really outliers. About the only activity that you should never ever ever do after a heart attack (or, really, anyone over 40) is shovel snow.

Great info and great post. I was probably coming off as extra precious about it, but what the hell, I don't care, I love Odenkirk and just want to make sure he's a-okay.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I just loving knew he was gonna be described as a ‘visionary director’ in that trailer.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Someone hould tell him that the well was already plumbed dry by 1500 sharknado movies.

He started filming this over four years ago so maybe the well wasn't quite so dry then.

As someone who genuinely enjoys The Room I have to urge anyone who's tempted to avoid The Neighbors. Completely destroys any claim that Wiseau deliberately made The Room funny, because that show is his actual effort to deliberately do humor and it's beyond dire.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Best F(r)iends wasn’t terrible but it also wasn’t good, Wiseau wasn’t directing, and it knew to mostly use him sparingly.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh hey, I didn't realise The Night Agent was a new Shawn Ryan gig. It's also got some decent reviews, plus a couple of actors I like. On the other hand, I was very put off by the trailer.

I dunno if Ryan's name quite carries the weight it used to after six seasons of S.W.A.T. (which TIL doesn't star David Boreanaz but DID produce an episode of television called "Thai Hard"), but it's one of those shows that I think no-one around here watches?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Best F(r)iends wasn’t terrible but it also wasn’t good, Wiseau wasn’t directing, and it knew to mostly use him sparingly.
I saw it at an event that was a double feature of that and The Room and I remember literally nothing about Best F(r)iends. That was years before I got Letterboxd, too, so I can't even look back at my rating of it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Rageaholic posted:

I saw it at an event that was a double feature of that and The Room and I remember literally nothing about Best F(r)iends. That was years before I got Letterboxd, too, so I can't even look back at my rating of it.

I remember Wisesau wearing glasses, a bunch of scenes in a morgue (?), and then the “twist” ending of Part 1 where he falls off a cliff or something.

Mostly I just remember being bored by it but not hating it.

Reading the wiki synopsis, I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen Part 2 because it sounds awful.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 24, 2023

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

This season of Picard is so loving good. Why didn't they do this to begin with? Seeing everyone together is blowing my nostalgia crazy. I used to fall asleep as a kid to my folks watching TNG.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This season is not so good, it's as aggressively bad as it always has been, just a little more efficient so they can botch more characters and plots in one season. Unless you already have the disease of watching everything with Trek in the title no matter how good or bad, you should not watch it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Khanstant posted:

This season is not so good, it's as aggressively bad as it always has been, just a little more efficient so they can botch more characters and plots in one season. Unless you already have the disease of watching everything with Trek in the title no matter how good or bad, you should not watch it.

I'm not taking it seriously, so it's fun to gently caress around with the characters they are bringing back.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sure, until they violently explode

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sure, until they violently explode

No, no -- it's NOT the aliens from conspiracy.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

GreenNight posted:

This season of Picard is so loving good. Why didn't they do this to begin with? Seeing everyone together is blowing my nostalgia crazy. I used to fall asleep as a kid to my folks watching TNG.

I keep hearing this, but season 1 was so, so bad. I'm going to wait to try it until it ends first to at least see if they do something tremendously loving dumb like at the end of s1.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
Just finished season one of Tokyo Vice. Some good parts and some meandering parts but overall enjoyed it. It bothered me that they started episode one with Jake and Katagiri meeting with Tozawa's guys at the restaurant, immediately flash back two years then never close the loop on what happened there. Was waiting most of the series to catch up until I realized they weren't going to this season.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

Just finished season one of Tokyo Vice. Some good parts and some meandering parts but overall enjoyed it. It bothered me that they started episode one with Jake and Katagiri meeting with Tozawa's guys at the restaurant, immediately flash back two years then never close the loop on what happened there. Was waiting most of the series to catch up until I realized they weren't going to this season.

Hard same. I forgot to mention that in my post-watch write up but I randomly remembered this afterwards and was like "What the hell, man?!" Especially since Jake repeatedly turns down cigarettes every other time, so clearly there was some kind of development leading to that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That show features some outstanding Japanese actors that I've never seen, I loved Hideaki Ito and Sho Kasamatsu, both their characters and their performances. Watanabe is, of course, excellent.

How good is the gaijin Japanese in the show, Elgort and Keller sound very authentic to my ignorant ears but I'd be curious what a native speaker thought.