Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

huh? buh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Final GBStinaton 2

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Bad Purchase posted:

i posted in sad and they told me exactly that, about the crash scene from final destination 2 i mean, and anyone can find the post and see for themselves

god drat i forgot how good those movies are

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

Posters in SAD telling you just to not visit threads that aren't for you but clutching their pearls over the possibility of someone, somewhere, posting the crash scene from Final Destination 2.

Also Lol for a new page

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
That meme just reminds me of Something Sensitive. Are those racist sexist homophobes still around?

Nothing wrong with being concerned about the balance of posting freedoms and bringing bad vibes to the place.

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 days!

Charles Bukowski posted:

That meme just reminds me of Something Sensitive. Are those racist sexist homophobes still around?

Nothing wrong with being concerned about the balance of posting freedoms and bringing bad vibes to the place.

you left out the doxxing

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Posters in SAD telling you just to not visit threads that aren't for you but clutching their pearls over the possibility of someone, somewhere, posting the crash scene from Final Destination 2.

lmao

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Charles Bukowski posted:

I feel like somebody said the site imploded after the owner melted down after getting cheated on

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I used to read it occasionally because it was exactly where all the terminally banned poo poo posters ended up and the first thing they'd do is write a huge three page essay about how poo poo SA is and how all the posters there they disagree with are *slur of the day* and the mods are deranged lunatics who eat babies and lowtax is a nice person and so on and so forth, which made it extremely funny to me because you basically got to watch their meltdown twice. Fairly sure it imploded, yeah.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

rodbeard posted:

I feel like somebody said the site imploded after the owner melted down after getting cheated on

i thought you were talking about SA for a hot minute there

I was thinking, "It hasn't imploded... yet"

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Since SAD said it's forum wide, I'm glad it will put the nail into the coffin of genocide denial in the non-FYAD forums :haw:

They're going to implement it any day now.

any day now, yeah. It's coming.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

FilthyImp posted:

Quoting this for truth.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
So I foolishly took a shot that SAD was indeed the place to discuss the recent harassment of female IK/mods by posters.

I'd written an email to forumadmins over a week ago (ed: 13 March) about some of the awful poo poo thrown at Kit Constantine and teen witch, including some vile poo poo attacking them as women, insults about genitalia (and not just the c-word).

The abuse directed at Kit ended up with her being de-modded, and the reason I am told he gave had nothing to do with her performance as mod, but was basically "for your own good".

That's insane.

Likewise once the abuse became directed at teen witch, she clearly just quit before it got to the level Kit got at the end.

Two female volunteers literally harassed out of their jobs here by vicious abuse.

Forget about retroactive punishments - how is this prevented from recurring?

I'd originally been waiting for an email response but just gave up after a week. So after Cinci suggested it was an excellent subject to raise in SAD, I hesitated a few days more, then copied the email I sent to forumadmins email as a post.

Turns out there's been a discussion on the mod forum on the subject for some time - so when my thread got shut down (since I am a horrible person who can't possibly actually be offended by sexism), another thread was opened to discuss the issue in SAD by management. Hell, Jeff even showed up.

The SAD regulars' response to sexual harassment was 'harden the gently caress up'.

The second thread lasted about as long as mine.

So having been educated that SAD is incapable of an open discussion of the subject (how to stop female posters from being harassed), someone suggested I should have raised it in the GBS Feedback thread.

I'm frankly not overly hopeful at this point. But the way KC and TW had some majorly vile poo poo thrown at them - yeah, lots of it caught sixers but that didn't stop it, did it?

Again, learn from the past to stop repetition. I'm not asking for anyone to be banned/perma'd. And yeah, any discussion affecting GBS alone won't stop abuse in other forums.

But you can't just *ignore* that poo poo. It just tells the people doing it they're safe to *keep* doing it.

Anyhow, if this attempt flops too I'll just know at least I tried.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 23, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
When it’s against a woman SAD crew likes it’s harassment. When it’s someone they don’t like it’s just a joke bro.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

When it’s against a woman SAD crew likes it’s harassment. When it’s someone they don’t like it’s just a joke bro.

I suppose one problem with me raising it is I didn't have a solution. I had assumed that maybe a clear statement about the list of things that "sorry, you just can't say any more" included misogyny as well as ableism, mental health, etc. was possible.

Telling victims of abuse to just "harden the gently caress up" was *nowhere* on my list of possible outcomes.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

one idea i had to combat sexist abuse is we could force feminize all posters

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Maybe if theyd shut up and post tits more the real posters would have less of a problem with them hanging around :shrug:

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Checking the SAD change log thread, we have:

The first is self explanatory, but how are the GBS mods interpreting the second? What sort of things are now probable/banable that weren't before?

Honestly, not much changes with the second one. tribute.wmv is 100% still allowed in my book.

Hell, I'd probably be one of the more lenient people because I'm hosed in the head and love gallows humor. That said, we as a team do try to establish a standard and I do try to keep personal taste out when determining if something is probe/ban worthy.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Mar 23, 2023

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Nooner posted:

Maybe if theyd shut up and post tits more the real posters would have less of a problem with them hanging around :shrug:

I mean that really is the key to success and acceptance!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

I suppose one problem with me raising it is I didn't have a solution. I had assumed that maybe a clear statement about the list of things that "sorry, you just can't say any more" included misogyny as well as ableism, mental health, etc. was possible.

Telling victims of abuse to just "harden the gently caress up" was *nowhere* on my list of possible outcomes.

Speaking for myself as a GBS mod, I think misogyny should be treated the same and I'll advocate for adding it explicitly to updated GBS rules. It's one of those things that seems like it should go without saying, but I'm all too aware that's not the case.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Misogyny is against the forums rules.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Rust Martialis posted:

So I foolishly took a shot that SAD was indeed the place to discuss the recent harassment of female IK/mods by posters.

I'd written an email to forumadmins over a week ago (ed: 13 March) about some of the awful poo poo thrown at Kit Constantine and teen witch, including some vile poo poo attacking them as women, insults about genitalia (and not just the c-word).

The abuse directed at Kit ended up with her being de-modded, and the reason I am told he gave had nothing to do with her performance as mod, but was basically "for your own good".

That's insane.

Likewise once the abuse became directed at teen witch, she clearly just quit before it got to the level Kit got at the end.

Two female volunteers literally harassed out of their jobs here by vicious abuse.

Forget about retroactive punishments - how is this prevented from recurring?

I'd originally been waiting for an email response but just gave up after a week. So after Cinci suggested it was an excellent subject to raise in SAD, I hesitated a few days more, then copied the email I sent to forumadmins email as a post.

Turns out there's been a discussion on the mod forum on the subject for some time - so when my thread got shut down (since I am a horrible person who can't possibly actually be offended by sexism), another thread was opened to discuss the issue in SAD by management. Hell, Jeff even showed up.

The SAD regulars' response to sexual harassment was 'harden the gently caress up'.

The second thread lasted about as long as mine.

So having been educated that SAD is incapable of an open discussion of the subject (how to stop female posters from being harassed), someone suggested I should have raised it in the GBS Feedback thread.

I'm frankly not overly hopeful at this point. But the way KC and TW had some majorly vile poo poo thrown at them - yeah, lots of it caught sixers but that didn't stop it, did it?

Again, learn from the past to stop repetition. I'm not asking for anyone to be banned/perma'd. And yeah, any discussion affecting GBS alone won't stop abuse in other forums.

But you can't just *ignore* that poo poo. It just tells the people doing it they're safe to *keep* doing it.

Anyhow, if this attempt flops too I'll just know at least I tried.

I'm not gonna comment on the thread you made, but the teen witch thread was honestly a complete disgrace and everything wrong with SAD. It went from people posting claims she'd edited a post specifically to probe someone, to them editing the post after the fact, to then turning out to have not edited the post at all (so the claims made by posters were actually untrue in the first case), followed by a 5 page derail about how cringe and un-based her modding style was (from people who I believe weren't even subject to her modding them) followed by demands she be unmodded not because she hadn't actually done what she'd been accused of, but because people didn't like her moderation style. Honestly incredibly psychotic stuff and in the end she stepped down rather than let it go any more deranged.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Speaking for myself as a GBS mod, I think misogyny should be treated the same and I'll advocate for adding it explicitly to updated GBS rules. It's one of those things that seems like it should go without saying, but I'm all too aware that's not the case.

This is actually more progress than two threads in SAD achieved, and I'm mildly surprised and actually grateful for positive engagement.

Given the rather regressive suggestions made elsewhere that some posters put forward based on "it's just a joke" or "harden the gently caress up" that anyone suggesting that abuse victims should "learn how to take a joke" or "harden the gently caress up" should be treated as a repetition of abuse and handled similarly? (This rule would obviously apply to not just misogyny but the other forms of abuse we collectively no longer tolerate - ableism, homophobia, anti-transgender, racism, etc.)?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
SA has cultured an environment where bullying and abuse are the best and often only way to get results, I.e. get mods to kowtow to your demands. This is, of course, a self reinforcing behaviour, and really needs to be cracked down on.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

I'm not gonna comment on the thread you made

I am grateful for such small mercies.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rust Martialis posted:

This is actually more progress than two threads in SAD achieved, and I'm mildly surprised and actually grateful for positive engagement.

Given the rather regressive suggestions made elsewhere that some posters put forward based on "it's just a joke" or "harden the gently caress up" that anyone suggesting that abuse victims should "learn how to take a joke" or "harden the gently caress up" should be treated as a repetition of abuse and handled similarly? (This rule would obviously apply to not just misogyny but the other forms of abuse we collectively no longer tolerate - ableism, homophobia, anti-transgender, racism, etc.)?

What do you think the punishment for this should be? Do you think it should be more or less stringent than, I don't know, let me pick an example, telling someone that you wish they personally and specifically had been murdered in the holocaust? Or continuing to use cutesy euphemisms that diminish sexual assault even after multiple women ask you not to? Things of that nature?

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 23, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

steinrokkan posted:

SA has cultured an environment where bullying and abuse are the best and often only way to get results, I.e. get mods to kowtow to your demands. This is, of course, a self reinforcing behaviour, and really needs to be cracked down on.

Well you’d need impartial mods and IKs to do something instead of encouraging that behavior but instead we have the ones in SAD joining in.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Why are you even here SPR?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

I can't speak to anything beyond GBS, but I think having it explicitly stated in the rules at least wouldn't hurt. I could go off on a rant about it in general, like as a societal thing, but at least in GBS we can try to work against it and try to improve.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!

Tai posted:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

some plague rats posted:

What do you think the punishment for this should be? Do you think it should be more or less stringent than, I don't know, let me pick an example, telling someone that you wish they personally and specifically had been murdered in the holocaust?

I think posters mocking abuse victims should indeed be pretty stringently punished. Don't you?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tai posted:

why, to give feedback on a forum she loves to post in and read of course!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Seems like a pretty pathetic behaviour for a mod to follow their posting enemies around, boiling with impotent rage (the only state spr is capable of)

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

because that guy with a record of posting absolutely psychotic poo poo at the slightest provocation decided this was the venue to cry crocodile tears about something I said and stand by, and it seems unfair to let him set the narrative with zero pushback. Steel tempers steel, Tai.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Tai posted:

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Man I wish i could /ignore spr. Cmon SA, let me do this.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rust Martialis posted:

I think posters mocking abuse victims should indeed be pretty stringently punished. Don't you?

Absolutely! Your comments on Tara Reade should have gotten you banned, in my opinion. But I assume that's not the abuse you're referring to, could you be specific please

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

some plague rats posted:

because that guy with a record of posting absolutely psychotic poo poo at the slightest provocation decided this was the venue to cry crocodile tears about something I said and stand by, and it seems unfair to let him set the narrative with zero pushback. Steel tempers steel, Tai.

This looks like grudgeposting of some sort, and I would suggest you just don't.

some plague rats posted:

Absolutely! Your comments on Tara Reade should have gotten you banned, in my opinion. But I assume that's not the abuse you're referring to, could you be specific please

Yeah, definitely do not do this.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

mobilize the gbs brigade reaction force!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

some plague rats posted:

Don't throw stones from inside your own glass house if you want to be taken seriously, so there's that.