Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Sell or trade the swag and Timber Wolf Statues. I already know somebody who wants to make multiple bookends out of the TimberWolves.

I'm getting a Republic of the Sphere Challenger Coin that I can slam down on the table any time I run into a Wolf fan.

Also, when does one get to select their forcepacks and swag options? Is it when the kickstarter officially ends.

It'll be part of the Pledge Manager process.

And I want all the swag stuff, so maybe I can work out something with someone who doesn't want it (I want BTech branded gear/clothing/posters :))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

SirFozzie posted:

It'll be part of the Pledge Manager process.

And I want all the swag stuff, so maybe I can work out something with someone who doesn't want it (I want BTech branded gear/clothing/posters :))

Remind me when it ships, I’m not really interested in the big Timberwolf or the posters. I just want mechs and tanks to paint and play :)

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Can you buy Snords Irregulars, Kell Hounds, Northwind Highlanders or Hansens Roughriders anywhere? AFAIK it was only Wolfs Dragoons and Eridani Light Horse that hit B&N shelves, then other stores. Did I miss something in the other merc packs being released?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Can you buy Snords Irregulars, Kell Hounds, Northwind Highlanders or Hansens Roughriders anywhere? AFAIK it was only Wolfs Dragoons and Eridani Light Horse that hit B&N shelves, then other stores. Did I miss something in the other merc packs being released?

Those are are short-term exclusives as well: for distributors, rather than any particular retail business like Target or B&N. As with the others, they'll eventually hit regular storefronts, but that hasn't happened yet.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I've gotten Hansens, Snords, and Kell Hounds already. It's just the Northwind Highlanders that are hard to find.

But I don't particularly care since the Gunslinger is the only draw for me there. I've never been a fan of the Highlander.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I got the Kell Hounds lance from these guys. I've ordered other stuff from them, and it's always worked out well.

https://www.gamenerdz.com/search.php?product_line=All&sort=Relevance&limit=30&name=battletech&search_query=battletech&page=3

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The legendary packs:

SM 1 Tank Destroyer (Callandre Kell)
Devastator (Marcus Baxter)
Marauder (Abdoun Ricol)
Caesar (Marcus GioAvanti)
Charger (Jeremiah Rose)

Putting the worst character in BT in the worst mech in BT, it fits.

And the Bounty Hunter and his posse:
WHM-9K Warhammer
Mad Cat W
Loki II
MAD-8K Marauder II
GRF-4N Griffin

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
List of addons edit: Miscommunication, they initially said as addons only, not part of pledge, but that is not true

(If not otherwise noted, has all minatures (fully assembled), with a mechwarrior/alpha Strike Card)

Inner Sphere Recon Lance: Firestarter, Ostscout, Spector, and Javelin

Inner Sphere Pursuit Lance: Dervish, Cicada, Clint, and Hermes II—

Battlefield Support: Recon & Hunter Lances : two Skulker Wheeled Scout Tanks, two Warrior H-7 Attack Helicopters, two Behemoth Heavy Tanks, and two Ontos Heavy Tanks—no assembly required—along with eight Battlefield Support cards and eight Alpha Strike cards.

Inner Sphere Security Lance: JagerMech, Scorpion, Vulcan, and Whitworth

Clan Cavalry Star : Black Python, Shadow Hawk IIC, Griffin IIC, Jenner IIC and Locust IIC

Battlefield Support: Assault & Cavalry Lances: two Demolisher Heavy Tanks, two Schrek PPC Carriers, two Condor Heavy Hover Tanks, and two Pegasus Scout Hover Tanks—no assembly required—along with eight Battlefield Support cards and eight Alpha Strike cards.

Inner Sphere Assault: Pillager, Goliath, Shogun, and Hoplite

Inner Sphere Heavy Recon Lance: e Charger, Ostroc, Merlin, and Assassin

Battle & Fire Lances on your enemies: two Manticore Heavy Tanks, and two Vedette Medium Tanks, along with two LRM Carriers and two SRM Carriers (with enough turrets to make four of either one)—no assembly required—along with eight Battlefield Support cards and eight Alpha Strike cards.

Clan Direct Fire Star:Kraken, Highlander IIC, Phoenix Hawk IIC, Grizzly and Rifleman IIC

The Inner Sphere Battle Armor Platoon includes four squads of battle armor—no assembly required—along with four Battlefield Support cards and four Alpha Strike cards. Perfect for BattleTech and Alpha Strike action!

Battlefield Support: Objectives on your enemies! Included inside are the Mobile Long Tom artillery (including its support carriage), Mobile Headquarters, and MASH Vehicle—no assembly required—along with three Battlefield Support cards and three Alpha Strike cards

Legendary MechWarriors Pack II includes Callandre Kell’s SM1 Tank Destroyer (Kell Hounds), Marcus Barton’s Devastator (McCarron’s Armored Cavalry), Jeremiah Rose’s Charger (Black Thorns), Abdoun Ricol’s Marauder (Independent; includes two dorsal gun options), and Marcus GioAvanti’s Caesar (Avanti’s Angels)—no assembly required—as well as special expanded MechWarrior pilot cards.

Legendary MechWarriors Pack III: Bounty Hunter includes the Bounty Hunter’s Marauder (includes two dorsal gun options), along with the Posse that have appeared at their side over the centuries: Warhammer WHM-9K, Griffin GRF-4N, Timber Wolf W, Loki Mk II Prime and Marauder II MAD-8K—no assembly required—as well as special expanded MechWarrior pilot cards.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 23, 2023

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Has there ever been any talk of making a sequel to the Battlemech Manual for infantry and vehicles? Or an Aerotech manual? I desperately want those rules in a better book than Total Warfare.

I know they're pushing the new Battlefield Support rules that seem pretty cool, but it also seems crazy to me that they're releasing all these vehicles and Total Warfare will still be where all of their rules are.

FishFood fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Mar 23, 2023

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
From the kickstarter comments you'd think Catalyst was the Third Reich or something. Geeze if BT has a bunch of toxic rear end in a top hat fans. I feel sorry for their community staff.

E: that Bounty Hunter lance looks like a lot of fun to paint up. Not sure to go for the 80 bucks tier as I initially thought or bump it up a step to get some packs too.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Mar 23, 2023

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

FishFood posted:

Has there ever been any talk of making a sequel to the Battlemech Manual for infantry and vehicles? Or an Aerotech manual? I desperately want those rules in a better book than Total Warfare.

I know they're pushing the new Battlefield Support rules that seem pretty cool, but it also seems crazy to me that they're releasing all these vehicles and Total Warfare will still be where all of their rules are.

I was under the impression that the rulebook in the Mercenaries box would include basic vehicle rules in the same way the Armored Combat box included basic mech rules but I've also done almost no research and may have misread something

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

In for the Mercenaries box via the Veteran level and then will likely build my own pledge out with add-ons from there to grab all the Battlefield Support forcepacks and the new map packs.
That solo/co-op mode for Alpha Strike definitely might get me to play some AS as I have friends who 100% wouldn't engage in Battletech as a competitive game who would love to play it co-op against an enemy.

edit:
gently caress... maybe I won't be picking all that up. :whitewater:

Mode 7 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 23, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It's worth seeing if the Company level is better for you than the Veteran level, just because you'll get salvage packs with the IS force packs then, but you don't if you buy them separately and there's no real difference in price.

Holybat
Dec 22, 2006

I made this while you were asleep.

Mode 7 posted:

In for the Mercenaries box via the Veteran level and then will likely build my own pledge out with add-ons from there to grab all the Battlefield Support forcepacks and the new map packs.
That solo/co-op mode for Alpha Strike definitely might get me to play some AS as I have friends who 100% wouldn't engage in Battletech as a competitive game who would love to play it co-op against an enemy.

went nuts with some money I got from the state earlier this month and went Regiment. But I'm also looking forward to the AS co op thing. I got a couple of buddies I play with but I always end up being opfor for the campaign I want to be on the same side as everyone else for once :v:

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

FishFood posted:

A Vehicle Manual (or whatever it would be called) we talked about even before the BMM came out. I passed on the project and ultimately it never went anywhere. My main worry was that either it was 90% a reprint of the BMM, itself largely a reprint volume, and thus perceived as a cash grab, or a collection of contextless vehicle (and infantry rules) that you needed another rulebook to use anyways. The case for such a book is harder to make than for the BMM, but those unit types definitely have their fanbase and I think there's a decent chance something will happen there eventually. I imagine it's just a matter of settling on the right time and format.

As for an Aerotech Manual, while I sympathise with the idea of trying to use TW for aero, such a book would just be Aerotech 3, and Aerotech as an independent product choked even during the FASA glory days. There was no way it would have worked in 2017 when the BMM was being prepped, when the BT fanbase was still small. It might work today, with BT's increased fanbase, but frankly the aerospace rules need a significant rewrite so it would be more than just a compilation if one was to bother at all. No idea if this will ever happen.

However, since next year is the 40th anniversary of Battletech, I think there's a chance they'll launch a new edition then with accompanying new books. After all, the clean-ups of the BMM have been very well received and TW's lifespan right now is so long as to encompass every other compilation rulebook put together; it's getting pretty long in the tooth.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

It's worth seeing if the Company level is better for you than the Veteran level, just because you'll get salvage packs with the IS force packs then, but you don't if you buy them separately and there's no real difference in price.

Ah, it is, I'd thought the Battlefield Support packs weren't included in the choices for the Forcepacks: Mercenaries choices but Catalyst have clarified that they are so that'll drop it a bit.
Still a sizeable chunk of change so having to weigh dropping all this upfront or just waiting for retail with the wrinkle being that finding retail stock in Australia for Battletech stuff locally has been hit and miss and if I have to start adding on piecemeal shipping fees from around the country or the US I might rapidly wish I'd just backed the drat kickstarter in the first place :v:

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!

Xotl posted:

However, since next year is the 40th anniversary of Battletech, I think there's a chance they'll launch a new edition then with accompanying new books. After all, the clean-ups of the BMM have been very well received and TW's lifespan right now is so long as to encompass every other compilation rulebook put together; it's getting pretty long in the tooth.

Thanks for the detailed reply! I figured a new Aerotech would be pretty niche, but an update of TW would be amazing. It technically has all the rules for infantry, vehicles, etc., but I have absolutely struggled every time I have to use it.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

So we’re what, seven hours in and at 2.8M. Not surprising given the first 24 hour rush, but the entire west coast isn’t even home from work yet. Never mind the first 48 exclusive stuff. Any bets on final sum? I’m thinking a solid 3.5M

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The print version of Record Sheets: 3039 actually has rules for ground vehicles condensed down to two pages. It leaves out skidding and VTOLs and being for introductory rules leaves out how they interact with buildings but I think it's otherwise complete. Nothing that isn't already in Total Warfare but it's a lot less scattered.

Speaking of vehicles, I'm hoping we eventually see canon stats for the Huitzilopochtli variants that have hardened armor and LRMs with Artemis V or Streak LRMs. The little blurb doesn't have enough detail to stat it out in a way that satisfies me, so hopefully those and the other variants in that section of the TRO end up in a record sheets PDF.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

BattleMaster posted:

The print version of Record Sheets: 3039 actually has rules for ground vehicles condensed down to two pages. It leaves out skidding and VTOLs and being for introductory rules leaves out how they interact with buildings but I think it's otherwise complete. Nothing that isn't already in Total Warfare but it's a lot less scattered.

Thanks for pointing those out! I happened to have the same print copy and that's going to help me run some nicer scenarios

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Xotl posted:

A Vehicle Manual (or whatever it would be called) we talked about even before the BMM came out. I passed on the project and ultimately it never went anywhere. My main worry was that either it was 90% a reprint of the BMM, itself largely a reprint volume, and thus perceived as a cash grab, or a collection of contextless vehicle (and infantry rules) that you needed another rulebook to use anyways. The case for such a book is harder to make than for the BMM, but those unit types definitely have their fanbase and I think there's a decent chance something will happen there eventually. I imagine it's just a matter of settling on the right time and format.

As for an Aerotech Manual, while I sympathise with the idea of trying to use TW for aero, such a book would just be Aerotech 3, and Aerotech as an independent product choked even during the FASA glory days. There was no way it would have worked in 2017 when the BMM was being prepped, when the BT fanbase was still small. It might work today, with BT's increased fanbase, but frankly the aerospace rules need a significant rewrite so it would be more than just a compilation if one was to bother at all. No idea if this will ever happen.

A new edition?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Dr. Lunchables posted:

So we’re what, seven hours in and at 2.8M. Not surprising given the first 24 hour rush, but the entire west coast isn’t even home from work yet. Never mind the first 48 exclusive stuff. Any bets on final sum? I’m thinking a solid 3.5M

Nah it'll break 4M. I bet there's a lot of people like me who's mulling over which option to go for and hasn't pledged yet.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

The legendary packs:

SM 1 Tank Destroyer (Callandre Kell)
Devastator (Marcus Baxter)
Marauder (Abdoun Ricol)
Caesar (Marcus GioAvanti)
Charger (Jeremiah Rose)

Putting the worst character in BT in the worst mech in BT, it fits.

And the Bounty Hunter and his posse:
WHM-9K Warhammer
Mad Cat W
Loki II
MAD-8K Marauder II
GRF-4N Griffin

That's two Dark Age/IlClan Era characters in that Legendary II pack, so that's cool.

Broke 3 million on the first day. Free force pack + Salvagebox for Battalion or above, woot.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

A new edition?

There have been quite a few editions of Battletech over the years, but unlike GW editions, they don't rewrite the rules from the ground up. It's usually just cleanup, errata, better organization and presentation, and one or two changes to equipment that the community has been asking for.

A "new edition" for the 40th anniversary would likely be a replacement for Total Warfare that takes into account the various entry points into the game and tries to be more accessible to newer players.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I guess I'd be okay with the Aero rules being split off from TW. While I like the idea of a book that has everything in it, aero play is kind of loosely-coupled with ground combat and I'm not sure how much is lost for most players if it gets put into its own book.

The BMM is a nice, streamlined, slick book for the large proportion of players who only care about 'Mechs - because there are so many such players, it makes sense as a product. But I haven't bought it myself because I highly enjoy combined arms play. I feel like TW and the BMM are two different options for a player to branch off to once they master the introductory rules, so it's okay having common content between them.

If there was a non-'Mech unit-only book that was designed as an expansion for the BMM, with no repeating of the 'Mech rules, and priced accordingly of course, I'd be okay with that as long as there was still an equivalent of TW that had everything in it. But a standalone book that has only non-'Mech rules in it would feel like an incomplete product because of how non-'Mech ground units are just special cases of 'Mechs - it would feel like it was intentionally made to nickel-and-dime customers by leaving out the mere pages it would take to fully represent 'Mechs.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
My estimate of 3mil is to low. I’m going to say 4.6 mil now.

I’m going to need a typed list of everything each level gets at the end of this..,,I might well get more plastic robot Barbies now. Even though I have no one to play with.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Do we have a list of add-ons that I'm just overlooking? I see mentioned an "Alpha Strike Bundle" will be in the pledge manager, but I'm really only interested in the AS Commanders Edition book and don't know where I'd check for the add-on price for that.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Atlas Hugged: at the moment, that doesn’t seem doable. All said, add ons seem like they’re at MSRP, so you’d probably be fine just buying the PDF on DriveThru. If you want a printed copy, either look on CGLs website or if DTRPG does POD.

ACRONYMS

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Mar 24, 2023

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lilljonas posted:

Nah it'll break 4M. I bet there's a lot of people like me who's mulling over which option to go for and hasn't pledged yet.
Make sure to throw in a Veteran pledge before the 48 hours are up for your Frisigoth.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

A new edition?

Pure guesswork on my part. Big anniversaries often get big events, and TW is old, so the timing works out in that way at least.

They've talked about new books on podcasts and such here and there, so it could be. But remember that in any case a new BT edition is "changed the rule for torso twists in jungle on Tuesdays by 3 points"-type stuff, like Call of Cthulhu, so I wouldn't expect anything major in any case.

EDIT: or what Atlas Hugged said.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I've been treating Alpha Strike like the real "new" edition of Battletech anyway since it does actually overhaul the rules and significantly change the pacing of the game.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Maybe BattleTech needs a new name to differentiate it from Alpha Strike, like when it was rebranded as "Classic BattleTech" to differentiate it from MechWarrior: Dark Age even though the names are extremely unalike and really who could possibly have mistook one for the other

No I'm not serious, I have no idea wtf they were thinking with that rebranding.

edit: like I get rebranding the MechWarrior RPG but why rebrand the game with a completely different name

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 24, 2023

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Comstar posted:

I’m going to need a typed list of everything each level gets at the end of this..,,I might well get more plastic robot Barbies now. Even though I have no one to play with.

Stop being me.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Atlas Hugged posted:

I've been treating Alpha Strike like the real "new" edition of Battletech anyway since it does actually overhaul the rules and significantly change the pacing of the game.

It also takes out all the best parts of the game but whatever

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't play it for that reason but I'm really glad that it is getting people to think about BattleTech, and pay money that goes to making stuff I do want.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I actually like the name "Classic Battletech" because it immediately clues people into the fact that we're referring to the hexmap wargame and not any other iteration. It's also a neat acronym that rolls off the tongue well.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Atlas Hugged posted:

I actually like the name "Classic Battletech" because it immediately clues people into the fact that we're referring to the hexmap wargame and not any other iteration. It's also a neat acronym that rolls off the tongue well.

When, during the Classic BattleTech rebrand, was there a BattleTech that was not a hexmap wargame (save for optional rules)? Like right now there's a (primarily hexless) game called "BattleTech: Alpha Strike" and no one seems to be mistaking that for the game just called "BattleTech." So how was anyone suppsoed to mistake "BattleTech" for "MechWarrior: Dark Age"?

Aside from the pointlessness, my problem with it was that it made it sound like the game was just on the most basic of life support rather than being a game still in actual development. Like how Steve Jackson Games sells "Classic" versions of old games like Ogre. There was like a 15 year period where tons of people thought BattleTech was dead (if they had even heard of it) and I don't think the rebrand helped it any.

And aside from "CBT" being a slightly unfortunate abbreviation depending on where your mind is, "BattleTech" has the same number of syllables as saying see-bee-tee anyway.

BattleMaster fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 24, 2023

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

I just tried a lance-on-lance demo of it today and it does sacrifice some unique parts of the game for what is basically scale.

The single roll to hit with some optional overheat makes sense for immense battalion-on-battalion encounters, but it really makes a lot of units same-y and many variants' entire reason for existing just sort of evaporates.
Apparently there's an optional rule where you can break down weapons fire into more dice rolls? That would make some units different from each other. If there were say, a bigger difference in number of dice rolled between, say, an AC/20 carrier vs. a Medium Laser-boat, that would help make units more interesting and keep in that part about the Classic game at least.

I won the bout by the way, it was all about trading fire a lot until it was 1 tank vs. 1 tank and I happened to succeed on my to-hit roll vs. my opponent missing. We both needed 7s.

I'd say I liked Heavy Gear Blitz! better, and that game has its own host of issues too

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

BattleMaster posted:

When, during the Classic BattleTech rebrand, was there a BattleTech that was not a hexmap wargame (save for optional rules)? Like right now there's a (primarily hexless) game called "BattleTech: Alpha Strike" and no one seems to be mistaking that for the game just called "BattleTech." So how was anyone suppsoed to mistake "BattleTech" for "MechWarrior: Dark Age"?

Aside from the pointlessness, my problem with it was that it made it sound like the game was just on the most basic of life support rather than being a game still in actual development. Like how Steve Jackson Games sells "Classic" versions of old games like Ogre. There was like a 15 year period where tons of people thought BattleTech was dead (if they had even heard of it) and I don't think the rebrand helped it any.

And aside from "CBT" being a slightly unfortunate abbreviation depending on where your mind is, "BattleTech" has the same number of syllables as saying see-bee-tee anyway.

I think you are mistaking my personal like of the name for my defending a corporate decision and praising a rebrand. I personally like how Classic Battletech sounds and while cock and ball torture is never allowed to be far from my mind because of how the internet poisons everything, my brain is able to compartmentalize and contextualize so I don't accidentally whip out any BDSM equipment when we start to discuss our pew pew robot dolls.

Reasons why I like CBT/Classic Battletech as a term:
1) CBT is faster to type than the full name, so it's a convenient acronym when I'm checking in with my gaming group
2) CBT is easier for the non-native English speakers I game with to say because their native languages may not necessarily contain all of the sounds in Battletech, but I don't feel like writing an essay on syllable construction versus syllable count
3) There's never any doubt as to which format I'm discussing

I don't see this as a big deal at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

They should call Alpha Strike ”BattleTech: Alpha Strike” and CBT ”BattleTech: BattleTech”

(I’m joking obv)