Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the problem is that ironic sexism can still be unwelcoming, especially when it can be construed as dismissive or making light of a real problem

what nooner should’ve done is gone one level deeper, to ironic ironic sexism

i believe that is still considered in good taste

edit: or maybe it was ironic irony all along :confused:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Goddamnit, I guess I will explain the joke further. I took it as Nooner parodying the people who were telling the victims to suck it up, just with a more antique Internet misogyny thing as hyperbole.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah, which was essentially what I said. Teen witch was blamed at first but eventually people found it wasn't her. Thread should of stopped there, because frankly the claims made in the OP weren't true. Teen Witch hadn't edited the post as everyone had claimed, someone else had, and the thread then descended into people tearing into her post history to prove how cringe she was, rather than any kind of useful debate on, as you say, should edits to posts be visible. It was a garbage fire.

which claim in the op wasnt true

afte r this i wrongly presumed it was tw as it was in her thread and it was a post she had probated adn the edited message related to the probation reason also, i dont think it was an uncharitable assumption and bcos it doesnt show which mod has edited a post all anyone without admin access can do is go off of whats infront of them. after an admin checked and said it wasnt her i assumed it was pope corcky whatever. you can check what i said after ath cleared up that it wasnt tw who did it if you like. i do not care who had edited the post, i care that it had been edited bizarrely by some insane person.

and again i requested they make edits show exactly who edited a post, so such a misunderstanding wouldnt happen in the future and was told it wouldnt happen. seems stupid to me lol

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
None of that is feedback so take it to PMs

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
ill feedback your rear end if you dont watch your tone

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

Obviously it was a joke (I assume), but really are "jokes" about how (female) abuse victims should try "posting tits" to earn acceptance from their abusers not way over the line nowadays?

Posters could make similar "jokes" about how people with clinical depression should "just cheer up" and they would be probed for it. It's not acceptable.

Goddamnit, I guess I will explain the joke further. I took it as Nooner parodying the people who were telling the victims to suck it up, just with a more antique Internet misogyny thing as hyperbole.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Honestly, showing who edits a post is a pretty fair ask imo. Maybe there’s some reason that I’m not thinking of but if a mod edits a post there should be a trail.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Honestly, showing who edits a post is a pretty fair ask imo. Maybe there’s some reason that I’m not thinking of but if a mod edits a post there should be a trail.

i think the admins mentioned there is an admin level trail, or maybe mod level, i don't remember which it was. admins can check who edited posts at least

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rust Martialis posted:

Obviously it was a joke (I assume), but really are "jokes" about how (female) abuse victims should try "posting tits" to earn acceptance from their abusers not way over the line nowadays?

There are? Where?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

can mods and admins see when i edit my post within the timer? please tell me they can’t see that

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yeah, which was essentially what I said. Teen witch was blamed at first but eventually people found it wasn't her. Thread should of stopped there, because frankly the claims made in the OP weren't true. Teen Witch hadn't edited the post as everyone had claimed, someone else had, and the thread then descended into people tearing into her post history to prove how cringe she was, rather than any kind of useful debate on, as you say, should edits to posts be visible. It was a garbage fire.

it was her “ post history” from like the last month in the thread she IK’d, badly, and was directly relevant to the discussion happening

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

CaptainSarcastic posted:

If it makes a difference (not sure it does?) I was actually referring to the followup joke to nooner's about how posting tits was the way to success and acceptance, but the argument applies to nooner making jokes about abuse victims should post tits to make their abusers like them seems a little more than you made it out to be, but obviously opinions vary.

Not my call at the end of day!

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

SpiritOfLenin posted:

i think the admins mentioned there is an admin level trail, or maybe mod level, i don't remember which it was. admins can check who edited posts at least

Yeah, I think admins can see a post's edit history. In other circumstances there is usually a record, like notes on how a report was handled. Some stuff I don't think to sign, like if I'm adding spoiler tags or something like that - those I often just mark with a "Mod edit:" in the post I am editing. That stuff is recorded in the report notes, though. Anything edited out also gets added to the report notes for future reference.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Rust Martialis posted:

If it makes a difference (not sure it does?) I was actually referring to the followup joke to nooner's about how posting tits was the way to success and acceptance, but the argument applies to nooner making jokes about abuse victims should post tits to make their abusers like them seems a little more than you made it out to be, but obviously opinions vary.

Not my call at the end of day!

It's one of those things that is a judgement call, and I freely admit I could be wrong. If I thought Nooner was actually being callous or flippant with it I would have hit him with a sixer, but I honestly think his intent was good there. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but I'm also kind of working from an assumption this thread has slightly looser rules in some ways in order to be able to discuss things.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It all comes back to the load bearing slurs

Some oval office hosed around with this message at 3:52 PM on Mar 23rd, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

nooner it would be really funny if you drove by with another whopper of a sexist joke after all that discussion

imo of course

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Rockman Reserve posted:

it was her “ post history” from like the last month in the thread she IK’d, badly, and was directly relevant to the discussion happening

No one in the thread had a problem AFAIK until a few specific posters showed up who never otherwise post in that thread and then a SAD thread mysteriously appeared :thunk:

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Dixville posted:

It all comes back to the load bearing slurs

Some oval office hosed around with this message at 3:52 PM on Mar 23rd, 2023

Lol

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

CaptainSarcastic posted:

It's one of those things that is a judgement call, and I freely admit I could be wrong. If I thought Nooner was actually being callous or flippant with it I would have hit him with a sixer, but I honestly think his intent was good there. If I'm wrong then I'm wrong, but I'm also kind of working from an assumption this thread has slightly looser rules in some ways in order to be able to discuss things.

Oh, I'm not meaning to impugn your good faith, I just don't personally see it that way. If I'm wrong, apologies to Nooner, but I obviously I've been increasingly upset about the free passes (or wrist slaps) I see handed out for misogynistic jokes or outright insults, so maybe I'm predisposed to feel that way, and am being unfair to Nooner.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Seth Pecksniff posted:

None of that is feedback so take it to PMs

my feedback: you get a kiss

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

my feedback: you get a kiss

:kiss:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Rust has his own history of being lovely towards women he disagrees with especially trans women which is why his thread got gassed and remade without him to let some women speak for themselves. The reason neither thread lasted was because nobody had any actual examples of misogyny going unpunished.

Since this thread is supposed to be about GBS feedback I think this guy has a good idea on how to handle mega threads to make them more newbie friendly: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027765&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

No one in the thread had a problem AFAIK until a few specific posters showed up who never otherwise post in that thread and then a SAD thread mysteriously appeared :thunk:

people definitely had a problem with the thread but understandably did not complain about it in her weird fiefdom hth

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Could someone please tell me who this is in my avatar because I don't get it. Rust looking at you here buddy

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

some plague rats posted:

Could someone please tell me who this is in my avatar because I don't get it. Rust looking at you here buddy

This is the GBS feedback thread not that "what's this avatar" thread please find somewhere else to ask

Mods, do the thing

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

some plague rats posted:

lmfao. someone's putting you in your goddamn place

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Smugworth posted:

This is the GBS feedback thread not that "what's this avatar" thread please find somewhere else to ask

Mods, do the thing

But Smugworth, aren't... aren't you a mod?!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Drone_Fragger posted:

But Smugworth, aren't... aren't you a mod?!

Mod-elect

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Smugworth posted:

Mods, do the thing

It's all good, someone in the saga thread told me. Please disregard my last post

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Lol they were so angry they didn't notice they typed love an extra time. This thread owns

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dixville posted:

Lol they were so angry they didn't notice they typed love an extra time. This thread owns

lol it's the little details that let you know someone was absolutely steaming

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

some plague rats posted:

It's all good, someone in the saga thread told me. Please disregard my last post

Wasn't the new rule for Sagas to not talk about current drama in Sagas?

CRAZY KNUCKLES FAN
Aug 12, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

Highly recommend against backseat modding or JAQing off in this thread

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
gently caress off

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tai posted:

Common misconception! The Sagas thread is primarily a cross-forums chat thread, and as such the regulars asking things like "woah what's with the av" of each other is perfectly acceptable according the thread remit. But it's not a GBS thread, so let's move on. Just wanted to clear that up.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

Tai posted:

This isn't the Sagas thread nor is it for litigating that.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
There is no reason for that bitch to be in here, she never has anything good to say about GBS and she always brags about how she never reads it.

They threadbanned you and harassed you in the saga thread, show a little spine Seth

Again I'll take my probe, don't care busy irl

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

some plague rats posted:

I don't waste money on buying people avatars or redtexts anymore, sorry. I got cured of that back when some rich CSPAM poster (I assumed Judakael at the time but who knows?) used to redtext tons of people, me included. 2020 or so? I did buy Video Games an avatar in the Eve thread, but told them about it at the time, and wanted to change CommieGIR's but they asked me not to. So I didn't.

Det var ikke mig, desværre.

I sure get nominated for it often enough, like Harold asked if I'd been the financial deep-pockets who did all the avatars around his meltdown. Nope. (Why anyone would give Jeff so much money for such a transient thing is beyond me.) Nor was whatever hosed up avatar I heard Boba got my doing.

Ed: this is uhhhh, feedback to a post in GBS

Ed2: turned avatars on, looked at whoever that is, no idea who it is sorry, avatars off again now

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Mar 24, 2023

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Cthulu Carl posted:

And punishing not just the ones perceived as trolls, but the ones going for the bait too.

I'm not totally against this but I don't think being taken in by a troll is as bad as a troll making GBS threads up an otherwise acceptable thread. From what I've observed lately people who aren't trolling are much more likely to behave themselves following a non-probe "knock it off" and certainly following a sixer. If people responding to trolls are getting probed and the trolls aren't, that will drive people absolutely up the wall, justifiably. (and to be clear, places where it's allowed, whatever, I'm not suggesting a sitewide thing.)

it's risky to introduce, I guess is what I'm trying to say. perceived unfairness is really bad for the community and we've already had situations where consistent local enforcement looked like inconsistent enforcement to people coming in from outside.

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Props to Shrek for actually engaging with the feedback posts, instead of ignoring them and engaging with the white-noise shits like the admins typically do.

some plague rats posted:

some plague rats posted:

some plague rats posted:

lol it's the little details that let you know someone was absolutely steaming

Just flooding the zone with poo poo. The tried-and-true method that the mods should probably develop a game plan on how to handle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Bad Purchase posted:

nooner it would be really funny if you drove by with another whopper of a sexist joke after all that discussion

imo of course

hehm, let me tell you how women be about ... shopping :grin: