Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

VROOM VROOM posted:

He does dodge bullets in like every scene also so if anyone wants to watch Re:Born but only has 20 seconds to live you can just watch this

(I kid, there's a whole lot of cool stuff in the movie, to the point that ridiculous creative kills become just part of the set dressing. My personal favorite is two guys punching a guy in one shoulder each from opposite directions so hard that it snaps his neck)

All the fights are extremely mannered and unique looking, and if you can get passed the unrealism of it they are very cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w444RMtTmoI

I do like that the movie never bothers to explain anything, like how his martial art allows him to anticipate bullets or sense danger remotely. Don't waste my time with bullshit explanations that don't make sense. Just gimme some cool fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Ugh gently caress Lance Reddick died. That blows.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
What? No!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Ugh gently caress Lance Reddick died. That blows.

60 years is way too loving young. RIP to one of the best drat actors to ever do it.

At least Sam Neill is cancer free now even though he has to take chemo drugs for the rest of his life. :smith:

Imma go find episodes of Corporate, and watch The Guest. gently caress man....this really hits me hard.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
It's really out of nowhere. I follow him on twitter and he was really active and posting regularly, including a video from just the other day where he looked good.

That loving sucks.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Just got out of a preview screening of JW4 with Chad S and Keanu in attendance and it was really unexpectedly sad with Reddick's passing. He's great in the movie too, and has done so much good stuff.

JW4 bangs. Donnie Yen is still the king.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

flashy_mcflash posted:

Just got out of a preview screening of JW4 with Chad S and Keanu in attendance and it was really unexpectedly sad with Reddick's passing. He's great in the movie too, and has done so much good stuff.

JW4 bangs. Donnie Yen is still the king.

Did they address Reddicks death?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Did they address Reddicks death?

They didn't really talk much before the film except to introduce it, but they did acknowledge that they lost a friend. Reddick's scenes got huge applause in the screening.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Does he get to do action business again in this one?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=g6c8eZy5bgY

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9wRQWoetHNo&pp=QAFIAQ%3D%3D

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

flashy_mcflash posted:

They didn't really talk much before the film except to introduce it, but they did acknowledge that they lost a friend. Reddick's scenes got huge applause in the screening.

That's about all you can expect, nice they did that

Also how dare you not talk about Scott Adkins' role

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm trying not to spoil anything! Just go see it, y'all. If you're posting in this thread, you'll love it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Aww

https://twitter.com/jimjarmuschhair/status/1636818774279213057?s=46&t=3d9JmXOJWgE8nozHLwUyjQ

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The new John Wick is fun, but the weakest of the films. All of the set-pieces feel like reworkings of earlier ones. The first big sequence is a bit too similar to the raid on the Continental. More combat doggies chomping on crotches. A nightclub shoot-em beat-em-up. Wick has to navigate through a hostile urban environment while all the assassins in the vacinity converge on him (despite callouts to The Warriors throughout this bit, I was disapointed that all the contract killers of Paris are just variations on one type of guy. Look at the movie that inspired you! Get creative with the costuming! Make the waves of baddies destinct!). The only times it really tops the versions of those scenes from the earlier movies is when it shifts focus to Donnie Yen, who is terrific throughout.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Mar 23, 2023

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

High Warlord Zog posted:

The new John Wick is fun, but the weakest of the films. All of the set-pieces feel like reworkings of earlier ones. The first big sequence is a bit too similar to the raid on the Continental. More combat doggies chomping on crotches. A nightclub shoot-em beat-em-up. Wick has to navigate through a hostile urban environment while all the assissins in the vacinity converge on him (despite callouts to The Warriors throughout this bit, I was disapointed that all the contract killers of Paris are just variations on one type of guy. Look at the movie that imspired you! Get creative with the costuming! Make the waves of baddies destinct!). The only times it really tops the versions of those scenes from the earlier movies is when it shift's focus to Donnie Yen, who is terrific throughout.

very important: do any of the combat doggies die? do any non combat doggies die? my wife, against all odds, is watching this with me in the cinema and i'm not having a repeat of the first Mad Max movie.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Was there conspicuously placed waist-height furniture everywhere that conveniently let the dogs do vaulting

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Speaking of Max, I watched Fury Road last night for the first time in a while.

This is a top ten all-time favorite for me, not just my ten favorite action flicks but of all movies, all genres.

It’s a masterpiece of “show, don’t tell”

It’s got fantastic stuntwork, and I love that all the car stuff was done practically, without cgi enhancement.

I love that almost the whole film is just two big chase scenes. What a bold concept.

The costuming and makeup, hell the whole visual design of the movie, is just insane. I remember seeing this at the the theater back in 2015, and I was absolutely stunned.

I went to see it at the theater six more times before it finally stopped showing
:roflolmao:

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

very important: do any of the combat doggies die? do any non combat doggies die? my wife, against all odds, is watching this with me in the cinema and i'm not having a repeat of the first Mad Max movie.

I don't remember any dogs of any affiliation dying. The main dog whips rear end and is my second favourite thing about the movie after Donnie.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

High Warlord Zog posted:

The new John Wick is fun, but the weakest of the films. All of the set-pieces feel like reworkings of earlier ones. The first big sequence is a bit too similar to the raid on the Continental. More combat doggies chomping on crotches. A nightclub shoot-em beat-em-up. Wick has to navigate through a hostile urban environment while all the assissins in the vacinity converge on him (despite callouts to The Warriors throughout this bit, I was disapointed that all the contract killers of Paris are just variations on one type of guy. Look at the movie that imspired you! Get creative with the costuming! Make the waves of baddies destinct!). The only times it really tops the versions of those scenes from the earlier movies is when it shift's focus to Donnie Yen, who is terrific throughout.

yeah, pretty much. i thought it was a very disappointing film. overlong, bizarre sequel bait stuff, and the action just wasn't a good as the previous films. it also got kind of ridiculous to the point of farce at times. the dialogue was atrocious, keanu's delivery was more weirdly stilted than usual (i swear, he said every line with the same cadence.) it was just too long and the action was really repetitive (on top of going on for too long and having no stakes/point.) donnie yen stole the drat show.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Got my tickets for tomorrow, couldn't be more excited.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

New John Wick whips, and has one of the best action set pieces of the whole series where there's incediary shotgun shells and the whole thing is filmed like it's a Hotline Miami level. Donnie Yen is so loving good and is the highlight of every scene he's in.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm trying not to spoil anything! Just go see it, y'all. If you're posting in this thread, you'll love it.

This is my take too. If you're into action movies to the degree of being in this thread, you're gonna be into it.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

New John Wick whips, and has one of the best action set pieces of the whole series where there's incediary shotgun shells and the whole thing is filmed like it's a Hotline Miami level. Donnie Yen is so loving good and is the highlight of every scene he's in.

I've been (like most in here I expect) on a dose of "1x John Wick per evening" this week leading up to seeing 4 tonight. What I didn't expect was weaving Blade 1 and 2 into this due to Netflix recommendations. Notes:

1. I was more excited to see Blade 2 than JW2, so changed my watch priorities!
2. Blade 1 is just as good/bad as I remember. The effects from 1 are very 90s PC gaming CD-ROM in nature...hard to describe, not low budget just "accessible" tech I guess? In any case, really nostalgic watch.
3. Blade 2 is just as GOOD as a remember, which at the credits "oh gently caress, Del Toro directed this?!", back in the day I just didn't have the wherewithal to know how much this added to the quality of the flick. Donnie Yen as part of the vampire gang stands out, hence the quote! There's a lot of memoriable parts in Blade 2 that really stuck with me over the years....I love it when a movie imprints on you so hard that you remember the timing of line deliveries, etc.
4. I continue to believe Halle Belle is the lowest point of the JW series so far, such a remarkably dull performance, especially alongside Jerome Flynn and Anjelica Huston
5. I continue to be cursed by a Big Train sketch during moments of intense reloading action....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQZDFv0aTlk

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Thanks thread, I totally forgot I had JW4 tix for tonight, Dolby Theater no less.

Now I gotta tell my wife I got her a ticket a month ago and didn’t tell her. Think I’m going solo.

BTW check l your AMC app, they’re running a LOT of open-booking previews of that D&D movie. It must be polling though the roof, this is unprecedented in my experience.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
169 minutes is insane and sounds horrible but I got moviepass and what else am I gonna do, watch the new Guy Ritchie thing that got dumped?? Mummies???

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Remulak posted:

BTW check l your AMC app, they’re running a LOT of open-booking previews of that D&D movie. It must be polling though the roof, this is unprecedented in my experience.

The D&D movie is tracking off-the-charts high and all the old nerd graybeards who saw it early loved it.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I will say that it feels like every minute of its length and I loving loved it. There's very little, if anything that I'd have cut out. In fact, I want these cowards to give me the original four hour cut.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

midge posted:

3. Blade 2 is just as GOOD as a remember, which at the credits "oh gently caress, Del Toro directed this?!", back in the day I just didn't have the wherewithal to know how much this added to the quality of the flick. Donnie Yen as part of the vampire gang stands out, hence the quote! There's a lot of memoriable parts in Blade 2 that really stuck with me over the years....I love it when a movie imprints on you so hard that you remember the timing of line deliveries, etc.

Takes me back to Neill Cumpston’s review (who I think got outed as Patton Oswalt?)

quote:

The other vampires - the disposal mouth dudes are eating up the regular vampires so they're all like, "We gotta get Blade to help us" so they totally get him to go in with this group of rear end-kicking vampires and here's the twist - they were trained to kill Blade only now they and Blade have to work together to kill the super-vamps and then, from that point on

(MAJOR SPOLIERS AHEAD):
loving SLASH KICK GUNS HEADS BLOWN OFF GODDAMN MOTORCYCLE FIGHT SCENES PUNCHING EYEBALLS OUT FLYING GUTS THROUGH THE AIR AND ALSO THIS ONE TOTALLY HOT CHICK SPURT CRUSH SNAP BONES EXPLOSIONS FIRE MELT-Y EXPLOSIONS SLAUGHTER MASSACRE RUN JUMP FLIP OVER HAMMER MACHINE GUN THROWING KNIFE-Y THING DEAD.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

I can't find it but there was a WaPo review of Blade 2 where the first paragraph was a quote from a French film critic about cinema's role in capturing reality and connecting it to the viewer and the second paragraph was:
"This is what he would say if he saw Blade 2:" followed by a paragraph of screaming

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I used to read AICN back in the late 90s-early 00’s.

Neil Cumpston was seriously Patton Oswalt?

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Harry Knowles's review for Blade 2 is still one of the worst things ever written for the internet

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xand_Man posted:

I can't find it but there was a WaPo review of Blade 2 where the first paragraph was a quote from a French film critic about cinema's role in capturing reality and connecting it to the viewer and the second paragraph was:
"This is what he would say if he saw Blade 2:" followed by a paragraph of screaming

What a loving nerd because you can watch OG Irma Vep and they're just straight up like yeah John Woo action movies are the truest cinema

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 24, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

High Warlord Zog posted:

Harry Knowles's review for Blade 2 is still one of the worst things ever written for the internet

And just think it's only in the like top five worst things that piece of poo poo wrote

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/30606

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/15336

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
John Wick 4 good.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
A new JW4 review.

First, thanks for the early negative/disappointed reviews. I’ve learned that controlling expectations going into films/plays/live music is huge.

The movie that opened my eyes to the potential of action filmmaking is Jackie Chan’s Police Story, which was designed to be a showcase for the Jackie Chan stunt team.

It also opened my eyes to action film pacing, because goddamn some of that that downtime stuff is terrible. Nobody remembers Zeppo Marx, but his entire job was to be boring and not annoying long enough for people to calm down and really want the actually funny Marx bothers back. All Groucho is exhausting and kinda unfun after a while. You get the analogy.

I’m sure that none of this is new, that e.g. Buster Keaton worked out the gags before the plot and tried to make pacing work, but the critical part was figuring this out for myself.

The next movie that felt like a real advance was Ong Bak. If what I read is right they didn’t know that they were the most innovative and talented stunt team in the world but nothing else on film came close. And in that series cinematography, especially lighting, was pulled forward dramatically. Compare the Police Story series fire scenes to the equivalent in Ong Bak, the improvement is massive. As an aside, I ordered the DVD (or maybe VCD?) direct. I’ll never forget my newly moved-in girlfriend being Really Curious as to why I received a disc from Thailand, so we watched it together and were absorbed. I’ve always assumed she was relieved that it was an action movie, but I just realized that maybe she was disappointed that it wasn’t something else, lol.

Then, after a decade (or two?) of many small advances there was John Wick, a movie designed not only to showcase an amazing stunt team, but an entire production company that included well-integrated vfx, stylish and interesting cinematography, and jaw-dropping editing. I’ll never forget tuning into the beginning of that movie randomly in a hotel room and getting sucked in as it kept escalating.

As the series moved forward, JW2 was a joy in that it started right where the last left off, and was more of the same but better. 3 was more, more, more, so many memorable scenes but the editing was weaker and the pacing off, the down scenes were just kinda there, with way too much blathering and ‘world-building’.

4 loving nailed it, the pacing, writing, and editing improved even on the first. Some of the cinematography and ammo selection was so goddamn clever the audience started spontaneously laughing and applauding more than I’ve heard in years, with a huge number of audible in-unison “oof”s as appropriate. Some fight scenes got repetitive, but contained enough variance and surprises that I’m happy every moment was onscreen. Donny Yen was even more fun than expected as surprise Zatoichi but somehow Scott Adkins is such a delightful ham that I was authentically disappointed that he got up and got offed, I wanted him for the sequel. I want that dude doing something like Stratham in Spy ASAP.

Pacing was terrific, and the ‘world-building’ was constrained to exactly what was required to keep moving. Whoever edited the script (or the movie if more of that poo poo got filmed) deserves a lot more than they probably got.

Final note: I now know I’m old, as despite an incredibly enthusiastic audience (god I miss theaters), I think I’m the only one that recognized and applauded the Warriors homage, although people around me started figuring it out and whispered about it after a while. Watched the credits hoping for a Lynn Thigpen thank you, but no dice. I guess if Lance Riddick didn’t get one despite his great monologue near the end why should she?

Questions for the class:
Will the backstory of Mr. Nobody figure in 5? Will he just be replaced with Nobody?

It’s clear that they really shot in the Louvre, Metro, and Versailles but every shot of Sacre-Coeur looked off. Some shots were clearly virtual sets, which was the only vfx miss in the movie (this is subjective maybe something else bugged you) .
Falsifiable question: were the 222 steps on location or a recreation in Burbank? I’ve been there but took the funicular so I don’t know for sure, but drat that felt specifically like Southern California hills, like Robin Hood Men in Tights Southern California, which is why I called out Burbank specifically. If so at least they probably remade them out of foam because goddamn.

Am I the only one that thought the ‘holding bulletproof suit over your face’ gag, while smart in-universe, started looking like Plan 9’s Boris Carloff after a while?

Was the loving awesome overhead view scene inspired by the cancelled isometric video game ?

Did the clearly-referenced pistol and ammo companies pay for the inclusion?

Penultimate question, were you, like I disappointed that an interesting character/ thread promised a payoff that didn’t come, then were genuinely surprised and delighted by the after-credit?

Lastly, did anybody else count John’s fingers? The number varied 3 times I noticed (or convinced myself I did so) but they were usually folded over something. Must have been a real pain in the rear end to check that in every goddamn shot.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Pathaan is sadly a lot less fun than WAR. There's still a lot of CGI in the former by generally they're committed to locations/sets where they can do a lot of practical stuff wheras Paathan is throwing most of it's budget at the effects department for backdrop work. Think Fast and Furious 6 Vs Fast and Furious 9.

Also, it's really depressing to watch such an expressive actor as Shah Rukh Khan juiced to the gills and committed to such an inexpressive performance

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Mar 24, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

"top down" part of four is less hotline Miami and more go watch movies by the Raid team

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
Scott Adkins was just incredible in JW4. He'd better have some footage of him getting into that suit because no one will believe that's him for his acting reel.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Upsidads posted:

"top down" part of four is less hotline Miami and more go watch movies by the Raid team
Goddamnit, how did I not think of The Raid (AKA “Violence, the movie”) and followups? Oh yeah: it makes the entire Wick series seem weaker when I remembered and I was on a heavy Keanu groove last night. Also possibly a bit tipsy.

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I saw the movie Sisu (I would translate it as: tenacity, or grit). International dates for theater releases vary.

The movie's trailer shows what you need to know, but I will elaborate a bit. Spoilers ahoy.

The main protagonist is a silent Finnish man (until the punchline in the end) with a good doggie and a horse friend, who finds gold in Lapland in 1944. While Nazi death squads roam the land burning and pillaging the area, he needs to take his gold to a bank hundreds of miles away. The SS has other ideas, involving shooting the miner and robbing his fortune. Which turns out to be a very bad idea, since the man is a legendary war veteran who simply refuses to die. The Nazis proceed to get blown up, stabbed, pick-axed, bashed and run over by their own tank in a variety of fun and gory action scenes along the length of the film. The action is very over the top and I found it to be entertaining.

The pacing of the film is not non-stop action, the protagonist takes moments to pull out shrapnel and bullets from his wounds and stitching himself up with wire into a more or less one bloodied and PTSD:d piece while trying to avoid capture. The good doggie and the bad doggies (SS german shepherds) come close to harm but survive. As for horse friend, something goes very wrong for him/her/it. Poor horsey. :sigh: War is hell. Mining is a hazardous activity. You don't mess with a man's horse friend and live.

Enter the movie theater, turn off critical thought processes and enjoy the carnage. The situations our main man pulls through are beyond any believability, and some are quite hilarious in their bloody, gory way. The feel of the direction of the movie is something of a homage to Tarantino with a Finnish twist. I noted a cameo by the former child actor from Big Game by the same director. The final line in the film drew laughs, after all that Aatami Korpi had been through. If you enjoy the sight of Nazis getting their asses handed to them, watch this movie. Feels good, man.

Historical accuracy be damned, but Stuka bombers, DC-3 planes and sidecar motorcycles plus trucks looked period-authentic for the location to my untrained eye. The tank used was a post-war design but how many functioning WWII tanks can you really roll around with for a movie shoot? This was not a loving documentary, so I would let that slide. Fun was had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
So if he wasn’t fighting the Nazis in uniform then what war was he a veteran of? Is there some reason he wouldn’t be in this part of this war?

J/K I know it’s not a documentary.