Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Nobody's really ever built a good tank on the first try except for New Zealand.

You're goddamned right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Some people will try to tell you that this isn't a Warhammer Orc tank

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is absolutely wild and utterly pointless at the same time. I guess in a nominal rational sense it's a good idea to prepare defenses ahead of an attack but if Ukraine is legitimately pushing on Kursk then Russia has explicitly Bigger Problems.

I guess they really expect NATO to invade Russia at this point or something.

Maybe it's to get people domestically to believe it's reasonable to expect NATO to invade Russia, like daddy poot poot says they will. After all, if they weren't invading, why are they putting up all these defenses? Or, they might be doing it to avoid having people ask the question if NATO is invading, why isn't anyone setting up any defenses???????

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Nelson Mandingo posted:

This is absolutely wild and utterly pointless at the same time. I guess in a nominal rational sense it's a good idea to prepare defenses ahead of an attack but if Ukraine is legitimately pushing on Kursk then Russia has explicitly Bigger Problems.

Let's be honest though, if they actually had some knowledge of sound strategy, they'd have understood by now that Ukraine is only being supported because they're fighting a defensive war on their own land. If they decided to conduct an invasion into Belgorod and Kursk all their support would quickly fly out of the window. There were even issues about handing over long range weaponry to strike inside Russia because the Western allies thought that Ukraine would indiscriminately strike targets across the border or even the Kremlin, especially considering the (valid) fears of nuclear escalation, as nobody knows how Russia might choose to react given the situation, which is why Ukraine had to develop its own drones and use ersatz cruise missiles created from modified Tu-141s. They're framing it as a war against NATO because they consider the lethal and non-lethal aid already sent as being no different from active participation in the conflict as far as they're concerned.

Though in the scheme of things, like Strelkov mentioned, they have 9 months to 1 year left in the gas tank. By Feb 22 2024, their land army will be entirely ruined, at the current rate of losses.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

The real question is what would win between an al-khalid and an arjun. Ones basically a T-90, and the other is a chinese copy of the T-90.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Actually, I might be wrong and Coquito Ergo Sum might be referring to the Scholfield tank, I'm not sure of the timeline of their developments and which came first, but honestly, they're both complete winners and paragons of tank design

Chicken Butt
Oct 27, 2010
What’s Meloni’s deal? US fascists loving love Putin, how did she come by her one good (anti-Putin) position?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I'm assuming that it's the Bob Semple tank, which was put together in world war 2 from corrugated roofing iron, concrete and would of had a... 40mm? anti-tank gun on top.

It was designed to be made out of D8 bulldozer chassis', since that's what's available.

Basically what I'm saying is New Zealand was going to weaponize the killdozer. :killdozer:

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

It’s all graft, same as the fortifications in Crimea and Kherson. It’s financed centrally but built by local businesses without military oversight. The strategic value is minimal and shows how far down the corruption rabbit hole Russia has really fallen.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Toxic Mental posted:

I posted about one of the orkiest tanks in the first Threead:

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Also something for the thread, a true Orky tank (in the 40k sense), the M2 medium tank:

It has one cannon, a 37mm that carries up to 200 rounds in a combat load, which isn't special for the time, but it also came armed with NINE machine guns carrying an ideal combat load of 12,000 rounds: 2 machine guns are mounted on the front-lower glacis plate, two on the front corners (sponsons), two in the rear corners, two on top of the turret outside the tank, and one mounted coaxially next to the cannon. It had 6 crew: one commander, one driver, and four gunners.

This was because some big thinkers at the time assumed that the machine gun would be the most important armament on a tank. Granted, they weren't alone- most nations mounted at least two to three and sometimes more machine guns in their tanks (usually one coax, one bow gun, one outer turret), but the USA took it to extremes with their pre-war/early-war designs. Other nations don't get off so easy though, to be fair, considering how many of them were testing things like multi-turret tanks and super-heavy tanks, but the M2 just has such the vibe of a bunch of dads meeting on the weekends with each other to build a tank.

Not pictured: The two roof-mounted MGs that gave it a "bunny ear" look.

Also, when it was announced that "M2s" were being sent to Ukraine, a Taiwanese broadcast used a picture of the M2 medium instead of the Bradley.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Mokotow posted:

It’s all graft, same as the fortifications in Crimea and Kherson. It’s financed centrally but built by local businesses without military oversight. The strategic value is minimal and shows how far down the corruption rabbit hole Russia has really fallen.

Not to mention the Neo-Nazis fighting for Russia and the entire milblogger community already panned the fortifications in detail, pointing out that relying on them to even slow down the upcoming Ukrainian offensive is a fool's hope.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Chicken Butt posted:

What’s Meloni’s deal? US fascists loving love Putin, how did she come by her one good (anti-Putin) position?

Yeah, she's been kind of surprising on the upside thus far. I keep waiting for her to pull the mask off, though.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Drone_Fragger posted:

I'm assuming that it's the Bob Semple tank, which was put together in world war 2 from corrugated roofing iron, concrete and would of had a... 40mm? anti-tank gun on top.

It was designed to be made out of D8 bulldozer chassis', since that's what's available.

Basically what I'm saying is New Zealand was going to weaponize the killdozer. :killdozer:

The Bob Semple and the Schofield were both designed roughly around the same time (skimming wikipedia) and based on a Chevy truck and Universal Carrier.

New Zealand made to absolute bangers of tanks that never got used while Canadians were producing the lame Ram and Australians were desperately compensating with the Sentinel's :dong: hull machine gun.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Toxic Mental posted:

all I will tell you is it is an act of terrifying bravery to construct your tank entirely out of shot traps

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The only thing trapped is anyone taking on the Bob Semple Main Battle Tank.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

I'm sorry friends but none of those tanks are saying "is Fight" to me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

shadow puppet of a posted:

I'm sorry friends but none of those tanks are saying "is Fight" to me.

Has to be a Panzer to qualify.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Chicken Butt posted:

I'm guessing there's an element of opportunism. She probably assesses that she's about as far right as the electorate will go and does not feel vulnerable to pro-Russian sentiment on either extreme, so she can score points with old school hawks and centrists without giving up ground on parts of her platform she cares about.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

CommieGIR posted:

Has to be a Panzer to qualify.

the Germans should've produce a PzKpfw "Faust" model just to confuse the hell out of everything.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Toxic Mental posted:

That's because it's a 40K Grot tank instead.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

War bad

There are several better card games to play

Also Russia should leave Ukraine.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1639069300785926147

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

TaurusTorus posted:

Also Russia should leave Ukraine.

Typical bloodthirsty GBS warmongering :lofty:

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I think we need to capitulate to Putin and give him more horse semen. Then, perhaps, the war will end.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

so is everyones tank fetish 40k based?

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1638974241533054976
Can you even afford to build new nooks? The last three tests you made already failed, so you want a new opportunity to make fools of yourselves?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1638974241533054976
Can you even afford to build new nooks? The last three tests you made already failed, so you want a new opportunity to make fools of yourselves?

Someone alert Willo567's balls

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Tarkus posted:

I think we need to capitulate to Putin and give him more horse semen. Then, perhaps, the war will end.

Ukraine War: Horse Cum in Peace

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

HonorableTB posted:

Someone alert Willo567's balls

they are already in the bunker.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Jimlit posted:

I have a poster in my room of the Harkonnen's Devastator from Dune 2 but all posed, oiled up and sexy like a 90's budwiser pinup.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Prigozhin may be pulling Wagner out? This is a pretty bold story from The Daily Beast.

The Daily Beast posted:

Report Signals Humiliating End for Russia’s Shadow Army in Ukraine

Yevgeny Prigozhin is reportedly preparing to pull his Wagner Group mercenaries’ attention away from the war in Ukraine after a slew of failures and infighting.

Yevgeny Prigozhin is preparing to pull his Wagner Group mercenaries’ attention away from the war in Ukraine, according to a Bloomberg report that cites sources familiar with the matter.

His current plan is to focus the private mercenaries’ focus back to countries in Africa, such as Sudan, Mali, and the Central African Republic, where Wagner has deployed forces. On Monday, Wagner posted a recruitment notice offering deployments to African countries that would last between nine to 14 months, Bloomberg reported.

The apparent decision to recalibrate Wagner operations in Ukraine comes after a series of setbacks Wagner has faced in trying to work with the Russian government to wage war in Ukraine. Prigozhin, who enlisted private mercenaries from prison, was blocked in recent weeks from recruiting from prisons. His colleague was also recently barred from accessing Russia’s military command in Ukraine.

Tensions have spilled over into the public eye as well. Wagner Group has also had to resort to pleading with Russia in various videos posted to social media to provide more ammunition they said was desperately needed to try to fight in Ukraine, to no avail.

It’s not clear how quickly the changes will go into effect. Evidence has emerged this week that suggests Wagner Group is still fighting in southern Bakhmut as well as Orikhovo-Vasylivka, Bohdanivka, and in the direction of Predtechyne, according to the Institute for the Study of War.

Though Wagner Group has been working to flood the field with personnel, Prigozhin’s army has so far failed to capture Bakhmut, which they have been trying to seize for months.

Wagner Group’s efforts have not been particularly successful. Tens of thousands of Wagner fighters have died, according to a Russian non-governmental organization.

The White House National Security Council characterized the losses in and around Bakhmut as “an extraordinary cost” for Russia.

The Wagner Group has at times blamed those failures on Russia’s idle efforts to help out Wagner with supplies.

“We appeal to our colleagues and friends from the Ministry of Defense. We are confident there is this ammunition somewhere in the stockpiles, and we need them acutely… We will do the work for you—help us with ammunition,” some Wagner fighters said in a recent video on social media.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/yevgeny-prigozhin-to-reportedly-pivot-russian-wagner-group-away-from-war-in-ukraine?ref=home

If this is true (and that's a tall IF), that would entirely doom the Russian war effort in the fast way rather than the slow grinding way it's currently doomed.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Honestly i'll believe it when I see it happening. It's too early to tell if he'd just cut his losses and leave, because there's bound to be consequences for that. As for the ammo talk, there's shortages everywhere across the line, tons of the stuff just gets destroyed and at least half of what arrives is useless rust.

Old Dun Cow
Sep 5, 2006

Jimlit posted:

Mine's kind of a vore thing where the barrel opens up and sucks my naked body up inside and I'm covered in borsht and welded in.

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

I have a poster in my room of the Harkonnen's Devastator from Dune 2 but all posed, oiled up and sexy like a 90's budwiser pinup.

thats what i'm talking about!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

zone posted:

Honestly i'll believe it when I see it happening. It's too early to tell if he'd just cut his losses and leave, because there's bound to be consequences for that. As for the ammo talk, there's shortages everywhere across the line, tons of the stuff just gets destroyed and at least half of what arrives is useless rust.

Also I think the ammo situation for Wagner was more about "hey we're a PMC or a reasonable facsimile thereof, we have more flexible and meaningful say in OUR equipment instead of adhering to military standards" and then suddenly slashed to achieve parity or be more parallel to the ammo distribution of the rest of the forces.

I think.

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

EorayMel posted:

Also I think the ammo situation for Wagner was more about "hey we're a PMC or a reasonable facsimile thereof, we have more flexible and meaningful say in OUR equipment instead of adhering to military standards" and then suddenly slashed to achieve parity or be more parallel to the ammo distribution of the rest of the forces.

I think.

I'd be pretty miffed too if I went from halfway decent provision to a couple rusted out mags and a promised fishbrick

zone
Dec 6, 2016

EorayMel posted:

I think.

Yeah actually, that was one of Pigozhin's main complaints, that the Wanker SS weren't getting priority supplies any more but had to make do with the rest of the rubbish that the other units got. He made an open demand to Gerasimov last month asking for 3 times the number of shells every day that what was being fired across the whole front (15-20,000 per day) to conquer Bakhmut after he continued antagonizing both him and Shoigu. That predictably ended about as well as you see here.

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

zone posted:

Yeah actually, that was one of Pigozhin's main complaints, that the Wanker SS weren't getting priority supplies any more but had to make do with the rest of the rubbish that the other units got. He made an open demand to Gerasimov last month asking for 3 times the number of shells every day that what was being fired across the whole front (15-20,000 per day) to conquer Bakhmut after he continued antagonizing both him and Shoigu. That predictably ended about as well as you see here.

It's amusing to me that he assumes that there are priority supplies for any Russian combatants, PMC or Russian military lol.

"Surely the good gear is simply being given to someone else. There's no way we have simply run out!"

*a steam train full of t55s rumbles past*

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

HonorableTB posted:

Prigozhin may be pulling Wagner out? This is a pretty bold story from The Daily Beast.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/yevgeny-prigozhin-to-reportedly-pivot-russian-wagner-group-away-from-war-in-ukraine?ref=home

If this is true (and that's a tall IF), that would entirely doom the Russian war effort in the fast way rather than the slow grinding way it's currently doomed.

People put way too much stock in this concept of Wagner as some elite fighting force. They got slightly better results because they were given preferential treatment in terms of their ability to source arms and manpower, and they were given even more leeway than the rest of the RuAF to expend men as ammunition.

When they stopped getting those results even with their special pipeline, it was cut off and now they're just another mediocre wing of a dogshit-grade army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1639080885550022656
https://twitter.com/Flash_news_ua/status/1639082805832368129