Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
It's fun to have a room where everything is a mimic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The violent ones are the species' rapid evolutionary response to the rise of murder hobos.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Reaching under the couch cushions of a mimic sofa to find your keys can be risky business.

Cannibal Smiley
Feb 20, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Go the magical realm route and introduce the concept of Toilet Mimics.

It's been done, albeit in the form of an outhouse:

https://www.miniaturemarket.com/ddmpmm-27.html

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Just tickle it in the right spot and it'll spit them out.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

PurpleXVI posted:

Reaching under the couch cushions of a mimic sofa to find your keys can be risky business.

The couch is fine, the keys are bitey little bastards though

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I always liked the Dungeon Meshi mimics, basically just hermit crab type things that happen to live in the various containers in the dungeon.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Classic grog.

https://www.reddit.com/r/rpg/comments/11x2cic/saw_the_dnd_movie_early_i_honestly_feel_bad_for/

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The indie RPG "Exquisite Replicas" but it's set in Fantasy Land and you've got a war between the Mimics and the Surgeoneers.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

I think it’s kind of un-groggy to say “hey, this engaging action-comedy story is actually completely unsuited to being adapted back to the game it’s ostensibly based on, let me name-drop some other games that are actually in the same spirit”. I remember having these thoughts about a lot of the D&D novels back in the day (and those thoughts led me to leave D&D for some of the very games mentioned in that post).

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

The emergence of the indie game grog is an underrated phenomenon over the last 10 years or so. It’s not that he’s wrong, it’s that he finds it tremendously important to explain how very right he is.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
IndieGrog has been around forever (ROLEplaying not ROLLplaying, GNS theory, playing non-storygames gives you literal brain damage, etc.), it's just drowned out volume-wise by D&Ders doing edition wars.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There is a surprising amount of PbtA grogs, who simply vibrate with outrage at the thought of anyone enjoying D&D.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FMguru posted:

IndieGrog has been around forever (ROLEplaying not ROLLplaying, GNS theory, playing non-storygames gives you literal brain damage, etc.), it's just drowned out volume-wise by D&Ders doing edition wars.

The Grog is coming from inside the subforum...!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hostile V posted:

The indie RPG "Exquisite Replicas" but it's set in Fantasy Land and you've got a war between the Mimics and the Surgeoneers.

Is this game any good, incidentally? I saw it at Half-Price once and couldn't get past Capgras Delusion: the Game.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Megazver posted:

There is a surprising amount of PbtA grogs, who simply vibrate with outrage at the thought of anyone enjoying D&D.

I don't post and yet I feel seen.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Antivehicular posted:

Capgras Delusion: the Game.

I feel like I need to understand this.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Megazver posted:

Reddit is full of these

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Antivehicular posted:

Is this game any good, incidentally? I saw it at Half-Price once and couldn't get past Capgras Delusion: the Game.
The System Mastery review of it does a pretty good job of explaining how it's an amazing high concept but also the mean kind of horror where you flat-out cannot win and there's only so much you can do with the premise.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Storywise it's cool. Feels like a forgotten Clive Barker movie or episode of some horror anthology show. Mechanics are basically tilted in favor of the monsters, not to the point of horror game, but to the point of "If the players ever even encounter any monster at all, they are dead." Which is a problem given the game objectives and so on. It becomes increasingly silly too, when you inevitably have to cross over into the enemy world it's this neverending grid of junkyards with 50 yard high walls around them patrolled by giant boar monsters that will spot you and kill you 99 times of out 100, and you only need to cross an arbitrary number of those walls, with no food and every human you meet desperately trying to kill and eat you, to get to the destination, which could be anywhere in any direction but it's all uniform and identical so...

Like yeah, every moment of the whole game would be the perfect point for the main characters to realize they're inescapably in hell as the camera zooms out while spiraling.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zorak of Michigan posted:

I don't post and yet I feel seen.

Do you have a special folder filled with prewritten pages-long templates of "try these PbtA games instead (instead of the trad poo poo you were asking about)" for every conceivable system recommendation request, as some of these folks do?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Megazver posted:

That's me, and I don't even play pbta games!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Megazver posted:

Do you have a special folder filled with prewritten pages-long templates of "try these PbtA games instead (instead of the trad poo poo you were asking about)" for every conceivable system recommendation request, as some of these folks do?

Pre-written templates interfere with the authenticity of my loathing.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

FMguru posted:

Can I just say that I find it kind of hilarious how GNS theory manages to be a cornerstone of every variety of TTRPG grog? Whatever game they're mad at just doesn't have the right combination of those letters in some nebulous way

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Countblanc posted:

That's me, and I don't even play pbta games!

this forum has a lot of that lol

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

KingKalamari posted:

Can I just say that I find it kind of hilarious how GNS theory manages to be a cornerstone of every variety of TTRPG grog? Whatever game they're mad at just doesn't have the right combination of those letters in some nebulous way

It is a good descriptor of problems, but not of systems.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Halloween Jack posted:

I've always played mimics as stupid, insofar as they don't understand people beyond imitating things that they think will attract people. They'll turn into a treasure chest or a golden statue while standing in a pile of gnawed bones.

Kill 6 Billion Demons is fun.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

KingKalamari posted:

What about the grogs who hate that anyone ever thought up GNS?

Or does that still count because it's in reaction to it?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I've been spending some time lately working on my own RPG, which I'm calling Oath of Light, and which I hope will be a spiritual successor to games like Exalted, Weapons of the Gods, and Jenna Moran's unfinished Dreaming Waters.

Today I realized as a result of various meditations that the Wulin Sage from Weapons of the Gods and the real-life Michelin guide fill the same social role.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

I think pointing out that the game of D&D as it actually exists fails to support the heroic cinematic fantasy that nearly every new player reasonably expects to get out of it is, if anything, the opposite of grognardy.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

This bring me back to 1998.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Rand Brittain posted:

I've been spending some time lately working on my own RPG, which I'm calling Oath of Light, and which I hope will be a spiritual successor to games like Exalted, Weapons of the Gods, and Jenna Moran's unfinished Dreaming Waters.

Today I realized as a result of various meditations that the Wulin Sage from Weapons of the Gods and the real-life Michelin guide fill the same social role.

Looking forward to your progress on this! There have been so many Exalted heartbreakers out there that have been simply miserable, so it'll be nice to see an attempt made by someone who actually understands the game and its influences. Also: Weapons of the Gods loving rules and is an underappreciated gem, nice to see that getting some love.

Are you comfortable talking about your angle on an Exalted spiritual successor, or is it too early for that?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
I would be so down to read some grog posts about how we’ve strayed too far from Trollbabe!, FUDGE, etc

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

It's still somewhat early, and I'm planning to bring in some additional writers to work on the setting so that it's not Just Me, but I don't mind talking about where the project is right now!

My main goal was to make a system that was as fun and exciting as Exalted, but that didn't put such a heavy cognitive load on the players, both at the table and during character creation. The way I came up with to do that was to strictly limit vertical advancement and to put a fairly small cap on the number of things a player will actually have in front of them at any given moment. A warrior can learn dozens or maybe even hundreds of martial arts styles, but she can only actually "equip" one main style and one support style at a time, and there's a cost to be paid if you want to switch styles during combat. (This is the bit I took from Dreaming Waters, although I also want to borrow a bunch of the cool weapon ideas.)

At the same time, you have about eight "practice slots" in which you can equip various non-battle abilities to indicate that you've been practicing with them particularly. These are the abilities that you have easy, quick access to. If you know an ability but don't equip it to a practice slot... well, you still know it, but you're going to need to spend a certain amount of time stretching, preparing, and looking things up before you can use it.

What this all boils down to is that players have a lot of room to grow, but at any given moment pretty much all the abilities they have access to will fit on a couple of index cards, which makes them easy to reference and easy to drop a new player in with a fairly simple set of powers to get the hand of. (And if you want to switch styles a lot, you can just swap index cards in and out!)

To get into the nitty-gritty a bit, the system uses the Weapons of the Gods dice-matching mechanic, and asks players to purchase loresheets that will give them access to families of mystical arts that resemble Exalted Charms (although the need to equip them for easy access mean that they'll probably be broader or have a single "do this" Charm that can be repeatedly upgraded). A lot of Exalted's crunchier subsystems wil be left out or replaced by quests, but one thing that will be complicated is advancement.

When I was thinking about the setting, I wanted to take Exalted's existing list of inspirational media and add xianxia cultivation stories, which absolutely fit the milieu and are getting more popular while still being poorly-represented in RPGs, as well as a bunch of anime that's come out since Exalted first appeared, not to mention various non-Japanese shows about people with rock names who do the fusion dance.

The power structure is actually borrowed from Hunter X Hunter of all things, so that instead of having hard splats, the arts you can learn by cultivating your inner Light are divided into various Hues that more-or-less map to a particular type of magical-power-user. Each art has an Ability rating and Hue rating requirement, but in order to avoid Exalted's characteristic "exactly 25 abilities, each of which is theoretically equally important, and Jenna Moran built a vast and beloved metaphysical edifice on this structure that will collapse if you change anything".... thing.... I divided Abilities into Major Abilities (things that everybody has who isn't actually dead) and Minor Abilities (that not everybody knows). They work exactly the same! But ultimately Navigation just isn't as central as Mobility and now I don't have to pretend it is.

Uh, was there anything else? There probably is but this is honestly enough babbling for now until I have a decent beta document to show. If people want to follow the project, the easiest was is probably to join my Discord server.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

It's still somewhat early, and I'm planning to bring in some additional writers to work on the setting so that it's not Just Me, but I don't mind talking about where the project is right now!

My main goal was to make a system that was as fun and exciting as Exalted, but that didn't put such a heavy cognitive load on the players, both at the table and during character creation. The way I came up with to do that was to strictly limit vertical advancement and to put a fairly small cap on the number of things a player will actually have in front of them at any given moment. A warrior can learn dozens or maybe even hundreds of martial arts styles, but she can only actually "equip" one main style and one support style at a time, and there's a cost to be paid if you want to switch styles during combat. (This is the bit I took from Dreaming Waters, although I also want to borrow a bunch of the cool weapon ideas.)

At the same time, you have about eight "practice slots" in which you can equip various non-battle abilities to indicate that you've been practicing with them particularly. These are the abilities that you have easy, quick access to. If you know an ability but don't equip it to a practice slot... well, you still know it, but you're going to need to spend a certain amount of time stretching, preparing, and looking things up before you can use it.

What this all boils down to is that players have a lot of room to grow, but at any given moment pretty much all the abilities they have access to will fit on a couple of index cards, which makes them easy to reference and easy to drop a new player in with a fairly simple set of powers to get the hand of. (And if you want to switch styles a lot, you can just swap index cards in and out!)

To get into the nitty-gritty a bit, the system uses the Weapons of the Gods dice-matching mechanic, and asks players to purchase loresheets that will give them access to families of mystical arts that resemble Exalted Charms (although the need to equip them for easy access mean that they'll probably be broader or have a single "do this" Charm that can be repeatedly upgraded). A lot of Exalted's crunchier subsystems wil be left out or replaced by quests, but one thing that will be complicated is advancement.

When I was thinking about the setting, I wanted to take Exalted's existing list of inspirational media and add xianxia cultivation stories, which absolutely fit the milieu and are getting more popular while still being poorly-represented in RPGs, as well as a bunch of anime that's come out since Exalted first appeared, not to mention various non-Japanese shows about people with rock names who do the fusion dance.

The power structure is actually borrowed from Hunter X Hunter of all things, so that instead of having hard splats, the arts you can learn by cultivating your inner Light are divided into various Hues that more-or-less map to a particular type of magical-power-user. Each art has an Ability rating and Hue rating requirement, but in order to avoid Exalted's characteristic "exactly 25 abilities, each of which is theoretically equally important, and Jenna Moran built a vast and beloved metaphysical edifice on this structure that will collapse if you change anything".... thing.... I divided Abilities into Major Abilities (things that everybody has who isn't actually dead) and Minor Abilities (that not everybody knows). They work exactly the same! But ultimately Navigation just isn't as central as Mobility and now I don't have to pretend it is.

Uh, was there anything else? There probably is but this is honestly enough babbling for now until I have a decent beta document to show. If people want to follow the project, the easiest was is probably to join my Discord server.

Exalted but with Nen sounds like a cool rear end idea, good luck with that.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Exalted but with Nen sounds like a cool rear end idea, good luck with that.

It's not necessarily going to be that much like Nen, because doing the Jojo or Hunter X Hunter thing where every power has its own insane rules and the battle is all about figuring them out before it kills you really wants its own insane (and probably kind of free-form) RPG to take advantage of that, but I did borrow the categories, at least to start with.

Right now I have it blocked out like this posted:

• Ruby/Red/Emanation: effects that generate, direct, and control elemental energies (including dubious "energies" such as earth, darkness, or whatever)
  • Carnelian/Orange/Conjuration: effects that create objects or beings, which may have abilities of their own or be able to act independently
  • Amber/Yellow/Manipulation: effects that can alter the traits of things outside yourself
  • Emerald/Green/Augmentation: effects that increase your own physical capabilities
  • Aquamarine/Cyan/Cogitation: effects that increase your mental capabilities, or affect esoteric/spiritual things
  • Sapphire/Blue/Transmutation: effects that alter your own traits, particularly shapeshifting in whole or part
  • Amethyst/Purple/Cooperation: synergistic effects that heal or support others, or which enhance your efforts to communicate or understand others

Some of these kind of map to Exalted splats, but it's more a matter of an Amber specialist being analogous to an "enchanter"-type wizard whereas someone who only knows Emerald is a pure martial arts Goku. There are probably "rare" Hues besides this that do weird things like summoning and translocation (/waves hand vaguely in the direction of future supplements).

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Nickoten posted:

Trollbabe!,

“The degeneracy of lasers and feelings”
In this essay I will,

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben

gtrmp posted:

I think pointing out that the game of D&D as it actually exists fails to support the heroic cinematic fantasy that nearly every new player reasonably expects to get out of it is, if anything, the opposite of grognardy.

As written, it's pointing out that the film fails to represent the game of D&D.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

hyphz posted:

As written, it's pointing out that the film fails to represent the game of D&D.

No. It's pretty emphatic that the game can't live up to the tone of the film, which would lead to possible new players being disappointed.

Like how there's a heist in the movie, which is just straight up a thing that D&D rules can't do, so you'd need to basically add in half of Blades in the Dark to get that kind of play.

quote:

To be clear, I wasn't expecting people to take 1 sword swing in six seconds, or fight in turns on a grid. I figured there would be libereties. What I didn't expect was for the liberties to be that.... liberal? I'd say maybe 10 percent of the film can be replicated at the table, rules as written. That is my point of contention, and why I think viewers turned players are actually going to want to play any other game system than 5e.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

No. It's pretty emphatic that the game can't live up to the tone of the film, which would lead to possible new players being disappointed.

Like how there's a heist in the movie, which is just straight up a thing that D&D rules can't do, so you'd need to basically add in half of Blades in the Dark to get that kind of play.

“D&D can’t do heists” is something you should have told WotC before their new adventure book of just heists. I think you mean “D&D can’t do heists well,” not that it’s completely unable to do them.