Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I also touch computers for a living and can help with funding or maintaining votefinder in perpetuity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Maybe it’s time for a new mafia wiki

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Mr. F! posted:

Yeah we can do another new one of those, but I think alli is also hosting the current one so at a minimum we should help take that off her plate while we are moving votefinder too IMO

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Mr. F! posted:

This tbh, one that is more adapted to modern mafia metagame

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

the mafia wiki was out of date when i joined the community lmao

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EccoRaven posted:

I visited new zealand last year, it was great. I might be visiting australia this year for the women's world cup to watch the US team win again (neo-imperialism).

If you want to grab a coffee or need anything for your trip let me know

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm open to running a game (hey remember mad scientist) but wouldn't have the mental energy to play in one.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

in my sowing phase (joining games)

Jump King fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Mar 24, 2023

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

True to form I'm not going to read 200 posts so I trust you guys worked it all out

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Opopanax posted:

True to form I'm not going to read 200 posts so I trust you guys worked it all out

council was convened, large game queue was consulted, and a strongly worded statement about death millers was issued

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Opopanax posted:

We came to the conclusion that you are being peacefully put to sleep and will travel into the great unknown for your next adventure because we think you're scum

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
someone do my draft idea

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Natural 20 posted:

I'm happy enough to just go with the majority but we avoid the use of 'lynch' because the bad connotations are potentially triggering or unwelcoming.

I broadly think that lunch is both sufficiently commonplace as a word and obviously ridiculous in context here to avoid both of these circumstances.

And from there I favour the least restriction on language as is reasonable.

Like what do you need to do to make this work? I have basically 0 tech knowledge but if it's just putting down cash for a hosting site then I'm willing to pay a monthly sub or whatever for mafia.

I’m not actually trying to ‘restrict’ anyones language but just noting that when I (a non-black person of color in the US) see people use the word ‘lunch’ in the lying game on the overwhelmingly white forum I think “hey look a (probably) white person is going out of their way to avoid saying ‘lynch’”

Having to have this thought feels a bit cringe and annoying and distracting when I’m trynna relax and be an evil scum

If that matters to you, you may consider using a different word

Again, not advocating for a ‘restriction,’ but hoping ya might be sympathetic to this

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

shwinnebego posted:

I’m not actually trying to ‘restrict’ anyones language but just noting that when I (a non-black person of color in the US) see people use the word ‘lunch’ in the lying game on the overwhelmingly white forum I think “hey look a (probably) white person is going out of their way to avoid saying ‘lynch’”

Having to have this thought feels a bit cringe and annoying and distracting when I’m trynna relax and be an evil scum

Again, not advocating for a ‘restriction,’ but hoping ya might be sympathetic to this

Yeah this was my thinking on it which is why i started moving away from it, I'd rather use alternatives that make sense rather than awkward stilted language

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

Snooze Cruise posted:

i know that is a joke but i would prefer to avoid cutesy hehe we are not saying lynch stuff in all forms, yes

Lol my bad, I thought you were an irredeemable poo poo poster and joking. Picked up the wrong vibe.

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
things can be both terrible and funny at the same time

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
I hear ya shwinn, I’ll use other words going forward

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

shwinnebego posted:

For whatever it's worth I agree with pretty much everything here.

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Oops not sure what this empty quote was

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Idle Amalgam posted:

Lol my bad, I thought you were an irredeemable poo poo poster and joking. Picked up the wrong vibe.

what the, sob sob

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

My Second Re-Reg posted:

For whatever it's worth I agree with pretty much everything here.

will you be my partner in ecco's temple game?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Since basketball is now dead to me, posting reminders that two games are currently recruiting:

-Mord needs 5 more for their more regular mafia game

-Ecco is looking for 3 older players and 6 newer players to bring back fan favorite Temple game format

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Since basketball is now dead to me, posting reminders that two games are currently recruiting:

-Ecco is looking for 3 older players and 6 newer players to bring back fan favorite Temple game format

thank you for your service o7

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!
I'm excited to play mafia again after some time and lately have reminisced on the days of google docs spreadsheets for oot communication and modding :cheers:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

chaoslord posted:

condolences to your march madness bracket slord

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Monathin posted:

in these trying times remember we can all support UConn

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Monathin posted:

My champion in the bracket is alive and well, but my :razorback:, on the other hand…

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Don't Blame Me, I Bet On Fair Dick!

shwinnebego
Jul 11, 2002

Hal Insandenza posted:

Hey schwinne, what’s happening. Always glad to see you here

Sup Hal!

I actualy read more of the thread and I’ll just say thanks to people especially voodoo and sandwolf who are holding things down well here and making sure folks feel cozy in this cool dumb lil corner of the internet 🙏🏾

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
400 posts????

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Kashuno posted:

400 posts????

401 now

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The new mafia crew are cool and good is my take

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Kashuno posted:

The new mafia crew are cool and good is my take

Kashuno, wanting the thread to reach 500 new posts, tries to stoke the flames again

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
I mean, he did post over a thousand posts in a game.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

chaoslord posted:

Kashuno, wanting the thread to reach 500 new posts, tries to stoke the flames again

People will see so many posts in the thread and come flooding in it’s the perfect crime

When’s the last time we had a gbs recruiting game

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Idle Amalgam posted:

I mean, he did post over a thousand posts in a game.

The golden years…..

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

shwinnebego posted:

Oh absolutely fair enough then.

As a non-white person myself I've never had any problems around the language used but I'm also not in the US or involved with US cultural politics to a real degree, so I'm happy enough to defer.

In terms of restriction, largely language exists in a framework of minimising harm whilst maximising expression, which is why I try to advocate for giving a poo poo through the least restrictive means.

But like, it's not hard for me to change and if it makes someone feel more comfortable then fair play.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I just started using "Kill" for everything, it works and adds a little ambiguity

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Leperflesh, this is why you need to set a deadline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

I mean seriously, this is a group of people who argue and shitpost for fun. And not just the normal SA levels. These are experts in it. The creme de la creme. For well over a decade these people have been arguing over stupid poo poo day in and day out. D&D doesn't even begin to approach the intensity, the fire that has served as a crucible for these folks. I would put these few, proud, argumentative shitposters against any other group, from any other site. I know they'd come out on top.

Ninja: gently caress, miscounted the snipe.