Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

BiggerBoat posted:

I love the movie Bad Boys (1983; the one with Sean Penn) but Jesus Christ the make up on some of the actors that's supposed to reflect a terrible beating, a car accident or being wounded by an explosive radio boom box is loving terrible.

Also, speaking of the boom box: would Horowitz' revenge plan have worked if Viking hadn't put the radio right up next to his face? Or was that an unintended consequence and simply did more damage than he had planned? Either way, Horowitz looked really pleased with his work so my take was that, from his angle, it was a happy accident until it got him in deep poo poo with the warden (being sentenced to solitary). I just wonder how the bomb was supposed to do much damage if Viking had set it on his shelf or something.

Well the fertilizer bomb fizzled then exploded in Vikings face. I think it was meant to be more powerful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

dr_rat posted:

Like this was pretty well spelled out in the movie right? I don't remember the end of the film being at all confusing, and honestly pretty classic Constantine. Winning not because he knew powerful magic or what not, but just by being a clever bastard.

Yeah, and it's pretty clear that Constantine's Lucifer was way more than just Gabriel, but more evil. There didn't have to be a scene to establish his healing powers, he's the next best thing to God.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

dr_rat posted:

Like this was pretty well spelled out in the movie right? I don't remember the end of the film being at all confusing, and honestly pretty classic Constantine. Winning not because he knew powerful magic or what not, but just by being a clever bastard.

Kinda, except the movie has him win because he genuinely did something selfless. They go into some detail about how it works earlier, and it can't have been a clever trick on his part because then it wouldn't have counted for his redemption.

Everything except the actual sacrifice was clever maneuvering though.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

DrBouvenstein posted:

I"m sure Robbie Reyes is overall a better character than the other Ghost Riders (Johnny Blaze and...uh...Danny Ketchum?) but he's Ghost RIDER. Not Ghost Driver. Motorcycle or GTFO.

How you gonna drive a Ghost Car along the main suspension cable of a bridge? Or up the side of a building? Lame.

I'll accept flaming elephants, sharks, etc... But but a car... That's dumb.

He is very clearly ghost riding the car in that picture

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, and it's pretty clear that Constantine's Lucifer was way more than just Gabriel, but more evil. There didn't have to be a scene to establish his healing powers, he's the next best thing to God.

In the comic it wasn't Lucifer at all. It was the First of the Fallen, an analogue of Lucifer who claimed the throne after Lucifer abdicated but is far less powerful. (If you're wondering how he can be the first angel to fall if he's not Lucifer: in the DC Universe it's made clear that Lucifer didn't fall, he was pushed.)

Either way, Peter Stormare did a decent enough job.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah he's good in it, very creepy. Honestly the whole movie is well cast, Tilda Swinton does a great gabriel.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cowslips Warren posted:

IIMM: Encanto bullshit. The engagement dinner? It should be a loving HONOR to marry into magical family, to the point it should be the hopeful suitor and his mom bowing to get a chance to propose. Like everyone in the town should be praying one of their kids can marry into the magical family. But the movie plays it that the family is Super Lucky to get this rando to marry Isabella.

I thought the guy's family was supposed to be a powerful family in the village, and the grandmother was using her granddaughter as a pawn to consolidate more power for her family by arranging a marriage between them.

No, I don't have a high opinion of the villain of the film, why do you ask?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah he's good in it, very creepy. Honestly the whole movie is well cast, Tilda Swinton does a great gabriel.

I'll let it slide that you just said Shia LaBoeuf was a good cast for Chas Chandler, on the assumption that you're repressing.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Jedit posted:

I'll let it slide that you just said Shia LaBoeuf was a good cast for Chas Chandler, on the assumption that you're repressing.

This is Kramer. Chas Kramer, rear end in a top hat

*gets violently dragged away in a reverse Kramer-ing*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jedit posted:

Who?

The movie has keanu reeves, tilda swinton, peter stormare, that priest dude who shows up for a bit, and whoever the lady is who functions as the straight man. There are no other characters.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Randalor posted:

I thought the guy's family was supposed to be a powerful family in the village, and the grandmother was using her granddaughter as a pawn to consolidate more power for her family by arranging a marriage between them.

No, I don't have a high opinion of the villain of the film, why do you ask?

But she cried at the end and that makes all the generational abuse forgiven

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dr_rat posted:

1.Constantine is afraid of dying because he knows he's going to hell because of his suicide attempt.
2. He actually committs suicde and Lucifer comes ro claim him.
3. Constantine asks to trade places with the dead twin even though it's establish that he's going to hell regardless.

It honestly doesn't make sense.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Len posted:

But she cried at the end and that makes all the generational abuse forgiven

By the end, the grandma did seem to realize just how much she hosed up the family in the name of "The Family" and at least seemed like she was repentant and admit that she was wrong. So she's a villain, but one that's willing to change rather than die for her hosed up beliefs.

Still really hosed up that the entire town had a song about how much they hate Bruno though.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Alhazred posted:

1.Constantine is afraid of dying because he knows he's going to hell because of his suicide attempt.
3. Constantine asks to trade places with the dead twin even though it's establish that he's going to hell regardless.

I barely remember the film, but Constantine uses suicide attempts to look at Hell a couple of times before reversing them. My impression of the end of the movie is that he was doing the same thing - putting himself on the very edge of death. That got Lucifer to come to claim the soul personally, Constantine agrees to not abort the suicide if the dead girl's soul is freed, Lucifer agrees.

Then that willing sacrifice absolves Constantine's sins and grants him access to Heaven.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Gnoman posted:

I barely remember the film, but Constantine uses suicide attempts to look at Hell a couple of times before reversing them. My impression of the end of the movie is that he was doing the same thing - putting himself on the very edge of death. That got Lucifer to come to claim the soul personally, Constantine agrees to not abort the suicide if the dead girl's soul is freed, Lucifer agrees.

Then that willing sacrifice absolves Constantine's sins and grants him access to Heaven.

Y'all remember wrong. Constantine never uses suicide in such a way in the movies, he might in the comics, I dunno. In the movie, his suicide is "legit" in that he got told before that Lucifer would come up personally to collect his soul... and Constantine banked on that because Lucifer's son was next door, trying to build his kingdom on earth with Gabriel's aid. Constantine knew Lucifer wouldn't be cool with that. When Lucifer offers Constanine the reversal of that suicide attempt, it's when John sacrifices himself for the dead twin sister and THAT is what gets him into heaven.

It is debatable if the sacrifice is heartfelt or calculated. Earlier in the movie a point is being made that John won't get into heaven for the good deeds he did so far because he only did them to get into heaven.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

OwlFancier posted:

Who?

The movie has keanu reeves, tilda swinton, peter stormare, that priest dude who shows up for a bit, and whoever the lady is who functions as the straight man. There are no other characters.

Please do not disrespect Mose Manuel and his selfless deed of protecting the children at the orphanage by forgetting his name

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Please do not disrespect Mose Manuel and his selfless deed of protecting the children at the orphanage by forgetting his name

How does forgetting his name protect the children?

edit: more like oldnameless

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's funnier in the comics because he sells his soul to every major demon lord in hell and then kills himself and they all show up to collect his soul and get really mad and confused and eventually have to settle on resurrecting him and curing his cancer because the legal complications of who gets his soul is too much of a headache to deal with so they're just hoping they'll be able to settle it before he dies next time.

Which I doubt would've worked in a movie.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

It's funnier in the comics because he sells his soul to every major demon lord in hell and then kills himself and they all show up to collect his soul and get really mad and confused and eventually have to settle on resurrecting him and curing his cancer because the legal complications of who gets his soul is too much of a headache to deal with so they're just hoping they'll be able to settle it before he dies next time.

They could do that in a sequel. How has Keanstantine spent his new life on earth? Getting a different kind of cancer and setting up those different deals that will blow up in a scene in the climax straight out of a courtroom thriller.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Grendels Dad posted:

They could do that in a sequel. How has Keanstantine spent his new life on earth? Getting a different kind of cancer and setting up those different deals that will blow up in a scene in the climax straight out of a courtroom thriller.

Keaunu to be represented by himself as his character from The Devil's Advocate

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FreudianSlippers posted:

The best part was his freakout afterwards about what he had done in a very acute case of occult post-nut clarity.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This reminded me that in the TF2 comics, the Medic dies and goes to hell but they can't keep him there because though he has sold *his* soul to Satan, he has grafted portions of his team-mates' souls onto his own, so unless they all die and go to hell too, hell can't keep him there.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Grendels Dad posted:

edit: more like oldnameless

HEY!

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This is one of those things that you'd never notice unless you have specialized knowledge. I've done metal working and there is so much wrong with the blacksmithing scenes in the Mandalorian. It'd be like an actual judge watching Law & Order and calling bullshit.
:doink:

While I'm at it, here's another thing that irritates me, evidence of previous takes. The example that comes to mind is this part of Batman Begins. You can clearly see skid marks on the road from earlier attempts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLx6el5dCwA&t=164s
Of course these are nitpicking, but this isn't the Completely Reasonable Complaints About Movies thread.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah but have you done space blacksmithing?

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

deoju posted:

This is one of those things that you'd never notice unless you have specialized knowledge. I've done metal working and there is so much wrong with the blacksmithing scenes in the Mandalorian. It'd be like an actual judge watching Law & Order and calling bullshit.
:doink:

Not as bad as the orc swords in LOTR lmao

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The scene takes place on a planet with breathable air, with approximately earths gravity. Are we to believe this is some sort of magic metal and made from unknown elements not bound by the the laws of material science and metallurgy? Boy, I really hope somebody gets fired for that blunder.

:goonsay:

Armacham posted:

Not as bad as the orc swords in LOTR lmao
Don't even get me started on the reforging of Narsil.

Edit: or the creation of Oath Keeper and Widow's Wail in Game of Thrones.

Second Edit: Or the 'Crown of Gold' that Drogo makes for Viserys.

deoju has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Mar 24, 2023

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Went to a screening last night of Godzilla: Tokyo SOS, with subtitles. I'd seen the movie before, which is how I know Mechagodzilla's referred to in that movie as "Kiryu." Only the subtitles I saw last night never used "Kiryu!" You have the actors clearly saying "Kiryu" throughout the movie, then the subtitles saying "Mechagodzilla" or "Mecha-G." If they wanted to say "Mechagodzilla," they'd have said "Mekagojira!"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

deoju posted:

The scene takes place on a planet with breathable air, with approximately earths gravity. Are we to believe this is some sort of magic metal and made from unknown elements not bound by the the laws of material science and metallurgy?

It blocks lightsabers.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Oh, yeah. It's all make believe. I tried to make it clear that I was aware of the absurdity of my complaint and poking fun at myself. Sorry if I missed the mark.

Edit: I was referencing this Simpsons bit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQH2rmQ5-vk

deoju has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Mar 24, 2023

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

deoju posted:

Oh, yeah. It's all make believe. I tried to make it clear that I was aware of the absurdity of my complaint and poking fun at myself. Sorry if I missed the mark.

Edit: I was referencing this Simpsons bit...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQH2rmQ5-vk

Not bad but the superior Simpsons skit addressing fantasy/sci-fi/cartoon continuity is of course
https://youtu.be/sVgVB3qsySQ

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

deoju posted:

Edit: or the creation of Oath Keeper and Widow's Wail in Game of Thrones.

This one was particularly funny because Forged in Fire had already been on a few years so plenty of people were fully aware that it's not at all how it works.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I'm watching Nope and the scene where OJ is in his truck and it stops makes me wonder why that happened. If the truck is old enough it's not like that much electricity is needed to power it when the internal combustion engine is running.

Then again if the sparkplugs are effected then I guess that counts.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
I'm watching the rather terrible Fantastic 4: Rise of the Silver Surfer, and a massive hole is made into the earth's core (or something) under the river Thames. A bit later they look up and the entirety of the Thames is dry.

But...that's not how rivers work, water flows downhill. It would still be coming from one side. (I'll assume the Thames barrier is up hence why there's no tidal water either)

Also wtf is up wit Jessica Alba's contacts.

Edit: wtf. The movie ends when they're in China, and then they say something about getting married, reed Richards says "I have a better idea" and suddenly they're getting married in...Japan? Why Japan. Do they think people wouldn't know the difference between China and Japan.

Roblo has a new favorite as of 22:38 on Mar 24, 2023

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Android Apocalypse posted:

I'm watching Nope and the scene where OJ is in his truck and it stops makes me wonder why that happened. If the truck is old enough it's not like that much electricity is needed to power it when the internal combustion engine is running.

Fuel pump could be another culprit.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Beachcomber posted:

Saying they don't have a soul is uncalled for.

Their souls are an appalling dungheap, overflowing with the most disgraceful assortment of deplorable rubbish imaginable, mangled up in tangled up knots.

But worse.
They are a mean one.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Splicer posted:

They are a mean one.

Vile monsters. They make me nauseous.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Android Apocalypse posted:

Diesel should be able to keep running, but probably not a gasoline engine.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

diesel washington

van denzel

either/or

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

gently caress

i just put on Next starring nic cage and it had no audio so i fiddled with remotes and scrollwheels and checked tjhat exactly what my dad does

i forgot that it starts super silent. i am become old as gently caress and have no patience apparently