Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
oh no...

I'm in trouble

edit:

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I took my Brompton out for some local chores yesterday and two dudes stopped me to ask me what it was and tell me how cool it was. I spent as much time yapping as I did riding. pretty lol that I was worried about riding this thing around here.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

numberoneposter posted:

Don't know about the hubs but HED rims are super nice. I have the Belgium+ and they have been great. Brake track still in awesome shape. Regarding the black rims I had some H+Sons a while back and they were full anno and the brake track doesn't take long to wear off. HED is probably doing something different but it's gotta wear off eventually right?

Seems that they hold up pretty well, but not a ton of reviews on those I could find beyond https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=228877. I'm mostly considering these on the look (and weight) over the other options.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

paberu posted:

I'm still keeping the Ardennes RA black rim in mind (between DT RR411 rims, Pacenti forza, Boyd Altamont and the Farsports carbon). I can't seem to find any rims with the same black machined brake track anywhere apart from the complete wheelset from HED. Are the HED Sonic 515 hubs they come with good?

All the black alu brake track rims wear away. I had some Aforce Al-33 rims (which I don't think they make anymore) with a ceramic coating.
They looked great at first and held up for 3000km or so, but once they started to wear unevenly on/between all the rims they looked like poo poo for ages. I'd just get ones without any coating if I was doing to get some more and save the bother. Maybe you don't mind the aesthetics though

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

After an incident with a driver last night, I think I need a rear camera (and to use my front one more often). Is the fly6 still a good option?

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Salt Fish posted:

oh no...

I'm in trouble

edit:

I see your disc wheel and raise you

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

After four months on flat-bar MTBs through the winter... god it's so much nicer to ride this drop-bar gravel bike when going for long rides on pavement, especially if it's windy.

Semi-accidentally did a four-hour/100k ride today with no proper extra fuel, just a bottle of water with a few sugar cubes in it. Not even a real breakfast in the tank; just a coffee, a cup of bouillon and a couple thin rice cracker things in the morning.
Stopped at a gas station about 70k in, thought about grabbing a drink and a bar of something, but the queue inside was so long that I just went "gently caress it" and rode on instead.
The secret is to eat pizza and dessert carb-load every evening :ssh:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

cool downcountry bike

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

bike tetris day

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

nice bicycle. think i知 going to ride mine tomorrow

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I posted this in the other thread, but since my State Saga was played out here... new bike day! It is here and professionally assembled! Just a couple of cosmetic issues with the seat and one of the pedals; other than that, it's pretty much what I was expecting: a cool, retro-ish chromoly framed single speed that I can convert to a knee-busting fixie if I so choose.

I rode it around the block a few times, which was fun because I live on a road with a decent incline. But, I had to get back to work, and we have rain for the next... [checks phone]... forever. Of course. It's like when I buy a telescope. Still, this is a nice bike. The seat is comfortable in street clothes so far, but I haven't really tested it out at any distance yet. I probably won't be doing any centuries on this, but I like it. I love that blue and yellow. I've ridden on the streets near my house a lot on my aluminum bikes, and I do notice a difference in the feel. But, this also has me in a different position, and the tires have a bit less air pressure than my road bike. I'll get it out on a longer ride when weather permits and see if steel really is real.

I did learn that turning sharply at slow speeds introduces toe overlap. Not the first time I've had that, but it might be more of something to keep an eye out for with this one.

The only thing I don't care for are the grips. I'm going to look for something different, maybe with tassels, maybe without. I was expecting flanges on the grips for some reason, probably because the last single-speed I owned (a BMX, back when I was a kid) had them. Maybe I'll get some of those ergo grips that my Cypress has. They look weird, but they're plenty comfortable.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

brand engager posted:

bike tetris day

What are you covering up at the base of the downtube?

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

What are you covering up at the base of the downtube?

Deez nuts?

edit: Probably the shop sticker.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Yeah it has a sticker with all the shop's info there

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Tell the scientists not to stop to think if they should.

From the little review I've seen of that fork, it's garbage, but i want to try it.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Lol just checked the pressure and I had been riding around on 25 - 30 psi in those 32mm tires. Pumped them up to 50 and 55 based on the sram pressure calculator

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

brand engager posted:

Yeah it has a sticker with all the shop's info there

You池e going to peel it off though right?

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I'm gonna leave it on

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Renegade.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
The weather decided to be decent yesterday and today, so I got the new single speed out. I did a 12-mile loop in street clothes (jeans, even) to break it in, and it rides great. Starting from a full stop is obviously harder on a single speed, but I was pleasantly surprised at how versatile the 46:16 gearing is. It's a little less than what I use on my road bike for cruising at a higher speed on those trails, but I hardly noticed. I did feel my legs working when going up an incline, obviously, but it wasn't an issue. For fun, I got out of the saddle and powered my way up some of the short inclines that follow the tunnels that go beneath some of the roads.

Single speeds are pretty cool. And I definitely can tell a difference in how the frame handles the bumps and rough spots.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
Single speeds are really nice. Barely any maintenance, super reliable, quiet. The only gear you have to think about is whether you're going to stand up or sit down. I commute on mine and it's never ever given me trouble.

Apr 7, 2003

Fixies are back, baby

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

I love my fixed gear. It just works and all that stuff Sheldon said about feeling connected to the road is 100% true.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Single speed is great but I find fixies really frightening, I don't like how the bike just wants to keep going

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
protip for REI members that tomorrow is the last day of their 20% off one item sale

dunno if you'll be able to get a whole-rear end bike, but I went ahead and picked up one of the Brompton front bags, since those things are fuckin expensive

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

abraham linksys posted:

protip for REI members that tomorrow is the last day of their 20% off one item sale

dunno if you'll be able to get a whole-rear end bike, but I went ahead and picked up one of the Brompton front bags, since those things are fuckin expensive

Unfortunately they exclude bikes, skis, gps stuff, etc.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Buck Turgidson posted:

Single speeds are really nice. Barely any maintenance, super reliable, quiet. The only gear you have to think about is whether you're going to stand up or sit down. I commute on mine and it's never ever given me trouble.

I don't have a commute because I work from home. But, I'm going to try the single speed out as a grocery-getter some time. I've made that run on my Escape plenty of times (aluminum fitness hybrid), but it's a 21-speed, so I'm never worried about power. If I can hack it on my single speed, I might just do that when I'm going for just a few things.

I have to say, I wasn't expecting this bike to be as fun as it is. I was thinking it'd be little more than a slow-speed cruiser that I can use for just really chill rides. Going into this 12-mile loop, my big concern was, just how limited am I going to be on this single-speed bike? After the ride, my biggest takeaway is just how not limited I felt on it. Sure, it's harder to get going from a full stop, going uphill is harder, and I didn't get to go 25 or so while descending from an overpass. But, I'm not spending most of my rides doing those things, and by standing up and grinding things out, I was able to cope easily.

I almost spend the extra $40 to get their steel frame retro road bike model in hunter green, but in the end, I knew that the derailleur and cassette were definitely super-bargain units that I might have to replace soon, so why not grab a single speed instead? I made the right call. I'll be replacing the brake pads at some point; it's the only obviously weak point of the bike.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Fixies are back, baby

Loucks posted:

I love my fixed gear. It just works and all that stuff Sheldon said about feeling connected to the road is 100% true.

Slavvy posted:

Single speed is great but I find fixies really frightening, I don't like how the bike just wants to keep going

When I dropped off the bike for assembly at the LBS, the guy I talked to said he had run fixie with a single speed that he had that, like mine, has the flip-flop hub. And after a week, he realized that it 100% was not for him. His knees were quite firm on this fact.

I'm going to flip the wheel around some time to give it a shot, but honestly, I like coasting. And even in single speed, I kind-of feel like I have better power transfer.

I'm sure that at some point, I'm going to have to replace the factory parts as they wear out. It's a budget bike; the only "premium" feature is the 4130 frame material. But this bike is pretty dang cool. I mean, 12 miles in regular street clothes, and my butt wasn't hurting at all at the end of the ride. I have to put on a ST:TNG costume to be this comfortable on my road bike.

Apr 7, 2003

abraham linksys posted:

I do have a Brompton front bag, but it turns out you can lash a whole bunch of poo poo to the rear rack

i stuck a six pack of beer and a pizza on mine last week

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Holy crap. I looked at my ride report, and I averaged 21.1 MPH on this ride. Now, I know I had some GPS issues, and I had to edit the ride to remove some GPS spikes that were obviously wrong. And, I lost GPS two times for a few minutes, so it just drew a straight line in those spots, and I didn't ride in a straight line, so my distance is under-reported.

I've done this loop a zillion times, and this time, I did some unnecessary back-tracking and circling of landmarks. Without all of that, this ride usually is right around 20 miles even, and using that distance, my average speed was still over 20 MPH. That's quick for me.

Apr 7, 2003

I wouldn't really trust GPS for average / top MPH. My Wahoo tells me I top out at 61mph sometimes.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

I wouldn't really trust GPS for average / top MPH. My Wahoo tells me I top out at 61mph sometimes.

True. Before I trimmed the ride's obvious tracking errors, there were a couple of spots where I was going absurdly fast. One of them was over 120 MPH for a moment.

I do know the length of the ride and how long the ride took, though. I suppose the app may have auto-paused me when it lost GPS, but I don't think it did, and none of those losses lasted for more than a minute..

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

tarlibone posted:

Holy crap. I looked at my ride report, and I averaged 21.1 MPH on this ride. Now, I know I had some GPS issues, and I had to edit the ride to remove some GPS spikes that were obviously wrong. And, I lost GPS two times for a few minutes, so it just drew a straight line in those spots, and I didn't ride in a straight line, so my distance is under-reported.

I've done this loop a zillion times, and this time, I did some unnecessary back-tracking and circling of landmarks. Without all of that, this ride usually is right around 20 miles even, and using that distance, my average speed was still over 20 MPH. That's quick for me.

Unless it was all downhill, you did not accidentally do 21mph over 20 miles on an upright fixie. That's a very solid time trial on a road bike, not even close to a casual effort.

GPS can be really bad at figuring out speed and location sometimes, having a little $10 cyclecomputer with a wheel pickup will help sanity check your phone's GPS readings.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

jetz0r posted:

GPS can be really bad at figuring out speed and location sometimes, having a little $10 cyclecomputer with a wheel pickup will help sanity check your phone's GPS readings.

Get a wheel speed sensor to pair with your GPS, it corrects the noisy GPS data

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
You people and your child, calculating logic and common sense....

I know the distance is right, if not a little short. But there is no way the time is correct. It must not have counted my time for a few stretches with no GPS. When I look at the ride map, there are at least a couple of miles total where that was obviously the case. Ride with GPS will guess that you flew from your last known location to the spot where it picks you back up, creating straight lines that don't line up with the route.

If I do the math again and remove those miles, my speed returns no the realm of possibility. I have a feeling there were also some auto-pause issues that caused my moving time to be under-reported. (I don't just use the start and stop times because I did stop a few times to take pictures; RWGPS's auto-pause feature is usually more reliable than this.)

Oh, well. I'll return the medals and trophies. Looks like I'll just have to go back to setting segment records on the drive home.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I知 bike shopping for my wife, and I知 asking for recs based on the below.

She currently has one of the flat bar salsa journeymans from 2019 with a Claris groupset. She likes it for when we go bikepacking but we have started to do some other group ride stuff on pavement and on the easiest dirt/gravel trails imaginable. If she wants to ride more off-road she likes her current bike, on the mountain bike she has en route. I知 trying to get her something that is at the 105/rival level (this is way harder than it used to be without also getting her what she calls 鍍oo much bike).

Currently looking at the canyon endurace in 105. New year coming out has 35mm clearance which is more than enough, she値l probably have 32mm teravails on there. Are there any other good competitors to this I should be looking at in the sub-2k category? Happy to provide any additional context.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Buying a bike this week. Gonna see what the local shop has for used hybrids. Very excited.

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

I got a QOM once crossing a bridge where my GPS clocked me going 240 mph. The person I dethroned commented with "thanks for visiting my town!".

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I've had good luck with top speed, as long as the GPS doesn't go nuts. Absurd readings usually show up when I stop for a rest or at the start or end of a ride. I trim those out because they're easy to spit on the map--just look for the telltale straight lines that shot off in a random direction and come back a moment later. If i didn't bring the jet pack that day, I know that data is wrong.

I've seen those random moments of very fast speed that can't be correct as I rode a few times, but oddly enough, those readings don't make it to my ride summary reports on RWGPS or Wahoo. A couple of my interval alerts yesterday, for example, told me that my max speed during that mile was crazy-fast--one was over 100 MPH--and that was not on the report.

I might get a speedometer at some point. Or whatever they're called now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Time posted:

I知 trying to get her something that is at the 105/rival level (this is way harder than it used to be without also getting her what she calls 鍍oo much bike).

Currently looking at the canyon endurace in 105. New year coming out has 35mm clearance which is more than enough, she値l probably have 32mm teravails on there. Are there any other good competitors to this I should be looking at in the sub-2k category? Happy to provide any additional context.

What size is she? Landry's has a 47cm Emonda ALR 5 for 30% off, but clearance max is 28, could pprobably do 30. https://www.landrys.com/product/trek-emonda-alr-5-disc-54184.htm