Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

post-apocalyptic erotica posted:

Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo

It greatly upsets me that I know immediately that you did this wrong.

It’s “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo”, and yes I have wasted my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Challenge accepted

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Dewgy posted:

It greatly upsets me that I know immediately that you did this wrong.

It’s “Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo”, and yes I have wasted my life.

The entire point of the exercise is that the string of Buffalo can be arbitrarily long from only two Buffalo up to many dozens

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

"A hat will give you at least some protection from the heat flash." Yes, because "virtually none" is technically an amount. lol at this Fallout poo poo.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Railing Kill posted:

"A hat will give you at least some protection from the heat flash." Yes, because "virtually none" is technically an amount. lol at this Fallout poo poo.
I think the idea is it's enough to keep your eyeballs working. Same idea as look away from the flash. Less useful these days with most clothes made out of something that melts but good cotton or linen clothes will absorb a great deal of thermal EMR - stuff like low level arc flash suits for electricians are generally thick cotton.

Most of the instruction we laugh at is considering there are zones where casualties can go from "very bad and dead" to "a bit burnt and bruised" by the insane tips and tricks and you're not necessarily gonna try and figure out who's in those zones as much as teach everybody and wish for the best.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Railing Kill posted:

My favorite thing about Fallout is its vibe is only slightly exaggerated from real life.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's always this thing about how "duck and cover" is ludicrous because it purportedly suggests that ducking under your desk will keep a point-blank H-bomb from blowing you up. No dumbass, obviously not, but there's a whole lot of people in the secondary blast radius who might be able to survive flying debris by ducking around a corner as quickly as they can train their reflexes to

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Pshh i don't see how "duck and cover" is going to pick all of this glass out of my face

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Evilreaver posted:

The entire point of the exercise is that the string of Buffalo can be arbitrarily long from only two Buffalo up to many dozens

Right but you have to capitalize them correctly or it all falls apart and just becomes unintelligible nonsense. :v:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I would simply not look at the shockwave of glass flying at my eyeballs at mach 10

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Just dodge it dummy

https://i.imgur.com/71uTNAJ.gifv

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What on earth is this from lmao. Is that nick cage?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Milo and POTUS posted:

What on earth is this from lmao. Is that nick cage?

Identical to my reaction. What the hell movie is this....

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Next, isn't it? Where he can see like sixty seconds into the future?

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

credburn posted:

Next, isn't it? Where he can see like sixty seconds into the future?

I think so. Or is that Knowing? Who can know!?

Maximum Tomfoolery
Apr 12, 2010

If you like Nic Cage movies, Next is a very good bad movie. There's a whole like 12 minute scene where he keeps trying pickup lines on a woman he has never met but is in love with.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
poo poo I should have recognized that. I watched it somewhat recently because of Rifftrax.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Next is good Nic Cage trash, Knowing is terrible Nic Cage trash (and another notch in the mystery that is Alex Proyas, a director who somehow managed to make two genre-defining films in a row, then nothing but poo poo and piss after that).

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Pfft. That's amateur bullet-dodging.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

"She breasted boobily around the bullet"

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Stoatbringer posted:

Required homework:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dillbag posted:

Next is good Nic Cage trash, Knowing is terrible Nic Cage trash (and another notch in the mystery that is Alex Proyas, a director who somehow managed to make two genre-defining films in a row, then nothing but poo poo and piss after that).

I didn't *hate* I, Robot and thought Gods of Egypt was good Sunday morning fun, but yeah. Not what you'd expect after the one-two punch of The Crow and Dark City.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Stoatbringer posted:

lmfao

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Stoatbringer posted:

Can i learn this power?

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mr. Crow posted:

Can i learn this power?

*taps username* Your power will be... similar, but different.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Mr. Crow posted:

Can i learn this power?

Sure. Do you have bewbs? If so, can they move at ?

That's all it takes!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

gbut posted:

"She breasted boobily around the bullet"

At last I can picture it

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Keeping abreast of the latest bullet technology.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

The miracle of the virgin milf

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Railing Kill posted:

There were women at Hiroshima that ended up with their kimono's pattern burned into their flesh. Literally the dark parts gave them second and third degree burns, while under the light parts they just had much less serious burns. I guarantee you that was the basis of this particular piece of advice.

Obviously it won't turn certain death into likely survival. But most of this kind of advice is about giving people who happen to be farther out from ground zero a better outcome, because if you're right under the bomb you're completely hosed regardless. And of course people like having something to control, even if it's a bit silly.

Blue Footed Booby has a new favorite as of 00:05 on Mar 24, 2023

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

There were women at Hiroshima that ended up with their kimono's pattern burned into their flesh. Literally the dark parts gave them second and third degree burns, while under the light parts they just had much less serious burns. I guarantee you that was the basis of this particular piece of advice.

Obviously it won't turn certain death into likely survival. But most of this kind of advice is about giving people who happen to be farther out from ground zero a better outcome, because if you're right under the bomb you're completely hosed regardless. And of course people like having something to control, even if it's a bit silly.

In a similar vein, there was a recent discussion in the SAL Spaceflight thread about the report from the Columbia shuttle disaster:

slidebite posted:

This is another fascinating report on Columbia although it is not nearly as widely read as the official accident board report. It more specifically deals with the crew and the aeromedical teachings from the disaster.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/citations/20140008287

They also deal with the mechanical breakup and specifically how it impacted the crew and what they were exposed to. There are some pathology photographs and sketches (microscopic, nothing identifiable) but fascinating in a purely educational sort of way.

If the clinical writing of what injuries the crew sustained and how they perished may bother you, probably best you don't read this.

Spoiled because it's what we did there and I don't know what the PYF sensitivities to these things are:

One of the things that came out in that was that the astronauts were exposed to re-entry plasma both as it breached the spacecraft and as the ship disintegrated and they were catapulted into a cloud of mixed reentry plasma and vaporized metal. Their clothing protected some areas. Body parts that were uncovered or had only thin fabric suffered third degree burns, while parts covered in multiple layers or by sturdier materials suffered either 2nd degree burns or none at all. For example, the leather parts of their boots protected their feet, and the seat straps combined with their uniforms created a pronounced "shadowing" effect similar to what BFB described about Hiroshima.

So is a brimmed hat going to protect you from a full heat flash at point blank range? gently caress no. But could it be enough to save your eyesight if you're far enough out that your exposed skin is getting second degree burns? That doesn't seem so far fetched.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

please don't post about sensitivities again dude

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Reiche posted:

Required homework:

Pity the fool starting poo poo with her thinking she's unarmed. She will massacre you into orbit with a flurry of savage 1843m/s boob uppercuts. You're chopped liver buddy

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I just can't cope with these complicated breast equations.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Karate Bastard posted:

Pity the fool starting poo poo with her thinking she's unarmed. She will massacre you into orbit with a flurry of savage 1843m/s boob uppercuts. You're chopped liver buddy

I imagine it would go something along the lines of this

https://youtu.be/KgLR9nYO65s?t=104

Regular Show was weird as hell

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

Unkempt posted:

I just can't cope with these complicated breast equations.

The answer is always 5318008.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Snowy posted:

The miracle of the virgin milf

Mary, the biblical milf

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

don Jaime posted:

The answer is always 5318008.

Oh ya? Pamela anderson had 69 pound boobs and that was 222 much. She went to a doctor on 51st st and his name was dr. X. She had 8 surgeries that day. Solve that boob math, bud

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

My Spirit Otter posted:

Oh ya? Pamela anderson had 69 pound boobs and that was 222 much. She went to a doctor on 51st st and his name was dr. X. She had 8 surgeries that day. Solve that boob math, bud

Oh, that's easy. The answer is always 5318008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Her boobs travel the same speed as an SR-71A Blackbird at full burn