Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
Got Peacock at $5 a month just for its Golf Channel inclusion last week and it's kinda cool seeing PGA on a Thursday and Friday (and sometimes Wednesday). I think having to wait for the indycar race to finish on NBC to watch golf was what finally pushed me over the edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I always wonder if these distances are calculated as the crow flies or along the routing of the fairway. I believe Shotlink shoots lasers on the players shirt, but that could be calculated in reference to the tee, which would yield a shorter distance when cutting a dogleg, or in reference to the green, which would yield the opposite.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
it's me, the most boring golfer in the world, ready for spring colors! :chord:

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
https://twitter.com/shanebacon/status/1639053640605343745?t=FDT2442d53p9WGlCk4pPJw&s=19

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

349 carry :dogstare:

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Farking Bastage posted:

I finally figured out what to do with my wrists!!!!!!!!!!!! Been pushing/guiding the club the whole time and was getting frustrated when what looked like a consistent swing was getting skunky sounding strikes when I had a revelation. Started thinking about it like I am pinning the ends of my wrist bones together and just holding my hands gently cocked until it naturally released and the SOUND of every single ball I hit was just different along with effortless power. Everything felt relaxed, not like I'm trying to hit a golf ball with a sledgehammer horizontally. This might be the real aha moment holy poo poo. :psyduck:

You beautiful bastard, you cured my duffing! Free round of golf if you come to Austin.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

so sick

kind of funny too that Rory said earlier this week he supports bifurcation

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Mar 24, 2023

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

ElGroucho posted:

You beautiful bastard, you cured my duffing! Free round of golf if you come to Austin.

gently caress yeah!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION

Chromatics posted:

so sick

kind of funny too that Rory said earlier this week he supports bifurcation

See, I feel like that could be a major flex of his. When the greatest driver of the golf ball - MAYBE EVER - is all about bifurcation, okay with losing distance to ostensibly preserve classic courses and stop the bomb-gouge treatment, the options are "follow his advice" or "this will continue to happen."

Plus, the two GOATs (Tiger and Jack) are in favor of bifurcation.

If you don't want to roll the ball back, I always liked the idea of "no more tees." Equipment stays the same (if you want), but the ball must be struck off the ground everywhere.

It would be detrimental to my amateur game (with driving as a strength), but hey.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

No Laying Up did an interesting interview with Billy Horschel in their valspar recap podcast about rolling back the ball. Horschel said he'd rather restore the punishment for mis-hits. Make drivers sweet spot smaller and heads less forgiving overall. The people who can consistently hit the middle can continue to bomb it 340, but as soon as they miss the middle, it's 80 yards offline and probably lost.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

xsf421 posted:

No Laying Up did an interesting interview with Billy Horschel in their valspar recap podcast about rolling back the ball. Horschel said he'd rather restore the punishment for mis-hits. Make drivers sweet spot smaller and heads less forgiving overall. The people who can consistently hit the middle can continue to bomb it 340, but as soon as they miss the middle, it's 80 yards offline and probably lost.

That’s really a typical amateur’s option when we try to uncork one.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

xsf421 posted:

Are those things currently regulated for tour drivers?

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Farking Bastage posted:

That’s really a typical amateur’s option when we try to uncork one.

HIT MORE COWS

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

mdemone posted:

Are those things currently regulated for tour drivers?

I believe that off-center forgiveness is highly correlated with the MOI which is capped at 5900. In the No Laying Up interview with the USGA guy he said that they considered regulations on the driver instead but found that they would have to extend those to fairway woods/hybrids and so are targeting the ball because it's simpler.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

Omne posted:

Let me book as a single, you bastards

I'll play with ya, brother c'mon up north to WI and hang out.
e: that goes for any of you.

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE

ice cold.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Some tense matches in the round of 16, Scheffler was down again Poston but now going to extra holes. oops Poston missed his par putt and Scheffler advances

Rory 1 up at 16 but struggling on the last few holes.

Homa eliminated which I'm sad about!

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

That gimmie two off the top of the hill on 11 :stare:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Farking Bastage posted:

That gimmie two off the top of the hill on 11 :stare:

Insane. I mean one inch from being an ESPY award winning ace.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
I bet all the underdogs in the quarterfinals of the World Golf Championship.

Sam Burns +130
Rory McIlroy +120
Scottie Scheffler +145
Cam Young +155

Was just hoping that I'd get a split!

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007
I am really enjoying the match play today. I understand why it's so rare for tv tournaments, but it's really nice to only watch a couple guys and see the full holes.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Unknownmass posted:

I am really enjoying the match play today. I understand why it's so rare for tv tournaments, but it's really nice to only watch a couple guys and see the full holes.

I think match play is fun to watch on occasion too.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

BigBeefCity posted:

I'll play with ya, brother c'mon up north to WI and hang out.
e: that goes for any of you.

Hell yeah. And pretty sure we've got enough central Florida goons to fill out a couple foursomes

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Both underdogs won their matches with late comebacks. Going to be Sam Burns vs. Cam Young in the final. Young with a slight edge. I personally think Burns is looking sharper right now.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Both underdogs won their matches with late comebacks. Going to be Sam Burns vs. Cam Young in the final. Young with a slight edge. I personally think Burns is looking sharper right now.

Burns was playing lights out, especially his putting. Really good stuff.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Tee time: 9am. Current time? 621am. Temp at golf course? 23f. Current weather at course? Snow, ending in 79 minutes.

I think I may not make my round. After snowblowing my 100 yard, 15° driveway of the 8 inches of snow we got (snow here continues for the next four hours), I think my swing may be compromised anyway.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

LIV is in town this week and oh boy are the courses taking advantage by raising their rates to astronomical prices. The course in the community I live in is $75 this weekend, last weekend it was $55 for the same weekend time, and it's a stretch that it's worth that much. Disney courses are anywhere from $175-200 dollars, Champions Gate $240. Just ridiculous. I know it's peak season for golf and the snow birds are still down and they'll pay whatever, but if the rates don't come down come summer time I'm going to have to seriously consider joining a private club. I can join one of the nicer clubs that has 2 courses and quite a few reciprcols in florida for about $450/mnth with a corporate discount and no initiation fee. At $50-75/rnd I pay for public courses and can barely get weekend tee times, $450/mnth when I play 6-8 times a month is basically saving money. My only issue is that I love playing different courses and would hate to feel like I HAVE to play these same 2 courses every weekend to get my moneys worth. I dunno.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

mattfl posted:

LIV is in town this week and oh boy are the courses taking advantage by raising their rates to astronomical prices. The course in the community I live in is $75 this weekend, last weekend it was $55 for the same weekend time, and it's a stretch that it's worth that much. Disney courses are anywhere from $175-200 dollars, Champions Gate $240. Just ridiculous. I know it's peak season for golf and the snow birds are still down and they'll pay whatever, but if the rates don't come down come summer time I'm going to have to seriously consider joining a private club. I can join one of the nicer clubs that has 2 courses and quite a few reciprcols in florida for about $450/mnth with a corporate discount and no initiation fee. At $50-75/rnd I pay for public courses and can barely get weekend tee times, $450/mnth when I play 6-8 times a month is basically saving money. My only issue is that I love playing different courses and would hate to feel like I HAVE to play these same 2 courses every weekend to get my moneys worth. I dunno.

This is exactly where I was with my muni membership. Weekend rounds were 5 hour circuses. Joined a club this year and wow. The muni during the week is still fine and I test things there.

I will bring any of you guys to my club if you're in t-town

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
How close and what cost for the related courses?

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

~50 bucks guest fee on mine. Maybe 60 if you ride. Basically a mile from the cock and balls capital building. Very much a hidden little gem.

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 27, 2023

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

How close and what cost for the related courses?

If I join this club guest rate is 60-75 depending on time of year. The 2 courses that are part of the membership are 2 of the nicer courses in the area, the subdivisions they are in are multi million dollar house type subdivisions. Always in great shape throughout the year.

These are the courses I'd have access to

https://www.concertgolfpartners.com/properties

Legacy and Heathrow are the 2 courses that are nearest to me, maybe a 15 minute drive and both have excellent practise facilities.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Going to Myrtle beach next week. It's finally warm enough to hit the driving range in New Hampshire (I can hit irons indoors but I have a mental block when it comes to swinging driver inside).

Shanks, Toe shots, duck hooks. Why do I play this sport? I'm 53 and still struggle to break 90.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Are those pretty wide open like the ones around Ocala are?

Edit: it has been so much of an adjustment learning a proper swing path. I’ve lost 90 pounds y’all. I keep whacking one OB every few holes but drat when I stay down on one, it’s a missile.

https://youtube.com/shorts/x11BWu1WScI?feature=share

I still gotta get the happy feet under control but I’m working on it pretty much daily. Handicap is creeping up and the afternoon games just started up. :gizz:

Farking Bastage fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Mar 28, 2023

BigBeefCity
Oct 26, 2022

~*Special Delivery*~
~*For Anime Fans*~

OVERSIZE
PACKAGE
So, I need to make a confession.
When I was MUCH younger, I'd worked my way into a pro-shop.
I'd caddied for YEARS to get to that point.
And then I'd earned an Evans Scholarship. - That's full housing and 4 years tuition.

...I turned it down because of the girl I was dating. :smug:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

BigBeefCity posted:

And then I'd earned an Evans Scholarship. - That's full housing and 4 years tuition.

That’s an impressive self own.

The Evans scholarship is kind of a ridiculous thing. Work a good summer job, then go to school for free? Yeah, take that.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

BigBeefCity posted:

Are you still with her?

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

mattfl posted:

If I join this club guest rate is 60-75 depending on time of year. The 2 courses that are part of the membership are 2 of the nicer courses in the area, the subdivisions they are in are multi million dollar house type subdivisions. Always in great shape throughout the year.

These are the courses I'd have access to

https://www.concertgolfpartners.com/properties

Legacy and Heathrow are the 2 courses that are nearest to me, maybe a 15 minute drive and both have excellent practise facilities.

Oh you're in north Orlando...I was gonna say, I'm strongly considering joining West Orange CC. It's been a nightmare trying to get a decent tee time around here, and the prices have been crazy. Bring me July when everything thinks its too hot and I have the course to myself, damnit

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Omne posted:

Oh you're in north Orlando...I was gonna say, I'm strongly considering joining West Orange CC. It's been a nightmare trying to get a decent tee time around here, and the prices have been crazy. Bring me July when everything thinks its too hot and I have the course to myself, damnit

Ya I'm in DeBary actually but will drive up to like an hour and a half to play a good course. Hell I've driven out to Dunnellon to play Juliette Falls before.

What I've heard about West Orange is super tight fairways and doesn't drain very well, but everyone who has played it says its a very good track, if you join and wanna host a guest, lemme know :)

And yeah, tee times have been impossible to get, you need to start looking almost 2 weeks out if you wanna play an early weekend round. Thankful that I know 3 guys who are members at heathrow/legacy and usually have a tee reserved so I get out with them.

Agreed about summertime, I'll play all day during the summer, the heat doesn't bother me, just stay hydrated and you're good to go.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I would love to join a private but honestly dont think its worth it for where i live. The club closest to my house is pretty stuffy and the course itself is the same exact landacape as the rest of the munis in town so i'd be paying a lot more for the same golf. Also has a super high monthly food and beverage cost. The other private club is super far from my house and would be a 40 minute drive each way, the course is a lot of fun but it would be super out of the way for me. The muni options here are all pretty good so it could be a lot worse, i just wish i could switch the far away club with the one by my house and i'd join in a heartbeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Dr. Capco posted:

I would love to join a private but honestly dont think its worth it for where i live. The club closest to my house is pretty stuffy and the course itself is the same exact landacape as the rest of the munis in town so i'd be paying a lot more for the same golf. Also has a super high monthly food and beverage cost. The other private club is super far from my house and would be a 40 minute drive each way, the course is a lot of fun but it would be super out of the way for me. The muni options here are all pretty good so it could be a lot worse, i just wish i could switch the far away club with the one by my house and i'd join in a heartbeat.

I have one private course worth joining, money-wise. But, it's 20+ minutes further out that my day to day courses, and I'm slammed on time more than anything. But, I'm going to call and see how easy it is to get the early tee times. It may work out to be cheaper and more regular for me.

Edit.

Round started cold, short frost delay, but nice. Straight pars thru 5. Wind moves up to 20 mph on 6, bogey six and seven, now I'm thinking wheels off. Finish up with winds gusting into the 40s, played real controlled golf, shot a 77. Best over all off the tee and putting in a while. Felt good, but I'm wind chapped bad.

torgeaux fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 30, 2023