Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Stultus Maximus posted:

US tech companies can choose to tell the government to pound sand. Chinese companies cannot tell the Chinese government the same.

It's 2023 and this level of naivete still exists in the wild. Absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

That Works posted:

Sell it to US companies

Were these US companies not able to pay up to get this information from the 70 other entities that have the same stuff?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

fknlo posted:

Were these US companies not able to pay up to get this information from the 70 other entities that have the same stuff?

Hey don't get mad at me I just put it on the powerpoint slide that we pitched to a dozen excited bitcoin backed VC's who needed to dump funds somewhere.

(e: I think we just described about half of the current US financial system or something)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Which part do you disagree with? Apple has explicitly told the FBI to get lost. Netflix has refused to provide customer information to the Canadian government. Do Chinese companies have that ability?

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

fknlo posted:

What exactly are they doing with the data? They already have all my information since I was a government employee during a certain data breach. What exactly are they going to do with my data that isn't already being done with my data by US companies?

No no, not "your" data, I meant "the" data in a general sense. Just like our own data collection, they likely get a ton of poo poo on everyone for whenever they need it or when they're actively looking.

My personal naive differentiation is that crossing the American government will get your American company killed, crossing the Russian government will get your Russian company stolen as you mysteriously fall out a window, and China will make your Chinese company what Chinese company? Who? Who is that person? What company? Sorry, that person and company never existed according to our records.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

facialimpediment posted:

I may have news for you about what China uses the data to do.

Did I miss something, because to my knowledge China is not running an international drone program to execute people that uses data from social media as an input.

Stultus Maximus posted:

US tech companies can choose to tell the government to pound sand. Chinese companies cannot tell the Chinese government the same.

Just adding another lol to this comment.

Here's what happens to US companies that don't cooperate:
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2007/10/qwest-ceo-nsa-punished-qwest-refusing-participate-illegal-surveillance-pre-9-11

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Zamujasa posted:

so jaded my first thought is "now that i've worked 4 hours in their shoes i am qualified to say their current pay and benefits level is adequate and will not be improved and perhaps are even too generous"

Seems like when Bezos showed up for a few minutes at an Amazon warehouse to “personally follow up on worker safety concerns,” imagining if one peasant unexpectedly approached to shake his hand it would be like the opening montage of Dawn of the Dead remake with the Special Forces team on the White House lawn.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Stultus Maximus posted:

Which part do you disagree with? Apple has explicitly told the FBI to get lost. Netflix has refused to provide customer information to the Canadian government. Do Chinese companies have that ability?

Those are two examples, not "US companies" generally, and if you don't think US intelligence has figured out a way to get at Apple server data I have a bridge to sell you.

I believe the issue here that TikTok presents a security threat because the people that use it are stupid and run it on work phones / at work / etc, but the idea that the USA behaves fundamentally differently with respect to personal data than china is true only in the sense that the US puts all that info into the marketplace and in China the government largely keeps it for themselves and the companies they deign to share it with. Neither country respects personal information or does much to safeguard it.

This doesn't even go into what Apple allows the chinese government to do with apple user data in china. They're not some bastion of personal privacy rights - they're effective marketers who know which side their bread is buttered and acts accordingly

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 23, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Fun bit in the J6 trials - the groyper that tried to pull a "i'm just a smol bean" defense found it didn't work so well

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1638944607760162828?t=the_t_UCMZS7mn_cQS-S3Q&s=19

still remains weird when weirdo online poo poo bleeds over into real life

and imagine being obsessed with nick fuentes

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

It's time for important topics that have been getting ignored but are definitely still pressing, like evaluating which Muppets gently caress. Fozzy Bear definitely cleans up, I feel like that's just an obvious one, though

Statler and Waldorf absolutely slayed in their youth and I imagine they still charm someone to their respective homes once in a while.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
when china does it, that's the government doing it, and that's bad

but when the us does it, that's private corporations that are doing it, and that's good

and anyone who thinks the us government doesn't already have its fingers in pretty much every possible pie is pretty naïve. we have :nsa: for a reason

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

McNally posted:

They were not reproducing asexually. They were changing sex from female to male and then loving.

Waiting for this post to turn up as an exhibit in a request to ban Jurassic Park from Florida libraries

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That does make me wonder, now; given Florida's increasingly strict don't-say-gay bill, are we going to see gender and sexuality pamphlets air-dropped around schools?

What kind of recourse would FL have against someone setting up shop outside a high school offering info? I mean I know there's something, but I'm curious.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

facialimpediment posted:

Fun bit in the J6 trials - the groyper that tried to pull a "i'm just a smol bean" defense found it didn't work so well

https://twitter.com/ryanjreilly/status/1638944607760162828?t=the_t_UCMZS7mn_cQS-S3Q&s=19

still remains weird when weirdo online poo poo bleeds over into real life

and imagine being obsessed with nick fuentes

I had to Google "groyper".

I feel dirty now.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Midjack posted:

Statler and Waldorf absolutely slayed in their youth and I imagine they still charm someone to their respective homes once in a while.

Statler at least is canonically bi.

https://twitter.com/RohitaKadambi/status/1372363271131574280

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Even the straightest of male muppet has a man’s forearm up their rear end, so they’re all bi to start with.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Midjack posted:

Why can’t Miss Piggy count to 70?

Because at 69 she gets a frog in her throat

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

windshipper posted:

Why can’t Miss Piggy count to 70?

Because at 69 she gets a frog in her throat

i guess the part im still not clear on is when miss piggys giving you a blow job are you getting a blow job from miss piggy or are you getting a hand job from frank oz

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Another crypto dork got got:

https://twitter.com/ahcastor/status/1638993240128114688

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?

Sexual Lorax posted:

i guess the part im still not clear on is when miss piggys giving you a blow job are you getting a blow job from miss piggy or are you getting a hand job from frank oz

Yes

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

ASAPI posted:

I had to Google "groyper".

I feel dirty now.

See if you can clear your search history on that one. It's pretty far down the right wing radicalization funnel and by the time you get to that one the algorithm is going to be offering you some really nasty poo poo.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss

bird food bathtub posted:

See if you can clear your search history on that one. It's pretty far down the right wing radicalization funnel and by the time you get to that one the algorithm is going to be offering you some really nasty poo poo.

I watched one video of air to air refueling and I got non stop "Ben Shapiro owns woke liberals with FACTS!"
Recommendations

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Sacrist65 posted:

I watched one video of air to air refueling and I got non stop "Ben Shapiro owns woke liberals with FACTS!"
Recommendations

Since I see this mentioned so much, you can do a lot to curb it if you turn off Google's targetted advertising as much as possible on your account. This is the current nominal link https://myaccount.google.com/data-and-privacy They go through periods of making it easier or harder to find, because Google.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Stultus Maximus posted:

With all due respect I don’t believe you are correct about this. I am quite certain you are not.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

You may have heard of times that companies have resisted government requests/instructions but you haven't heard of all the times they acquiesced.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zamujasa posted:

That does make me wonder, now; given Florida's increasingly strict don't-say-gay bill, are we going to see gender and sexuality pamphlets air-dropped around schools?

What kind of recourse would FL have against someone setting up shop outside a high school offering info? I mean I know there's something, but I'm curious.

If you do that, some “lone wolf” will commit terrorism against you.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

bird food bathtub posted:

I logged out and used an incognito tab. That seems to "poison" my feed the least.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

You may have heard of times that companies have resisted government requests/instructions but you haven't heard of all the times they acquiesced.

That's what "choose" means.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Just LOL that "what about AMERICA'S exploitation of tech cos." is still used as a retort to China's exploitation of the same. It's 2023—revisionist authoritarian powers are loving with their neighbors and undermining democracies, but some still can't let a criticism against them get by without empty equivocation.

America bad and should be better, thanks. Let's just please not handwave others' abuses.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Cugel the Clever posted:

Just LOL that "what about AMERICA'S exploitation of tech cos." is still used as a retort to China's exploitation of the same. It's 2023—revisionist authoritarian powers are loving with their neighbors and undermining democracies, but some still can't let a criticism against them get by without empty equivocation.

America bad and should be better, thanks. Let's just please not handwave others' abuses.

Care to quote any handwaves or are you just yelling at voices in your head?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Serjeant Buzfuz posted:

FISA court being all secretive and poo poo doesn't exactly help

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

CainFortea posted:

Care to quote any handwaves or are you just yelling at voices in your head?

i think we've all seen it often enough to say yeah that's a thing that happens

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

stealie72 posted:

Real "the worst person you know made a good point" vibe. gently caress TikTok, but gently caress Rob Latta "The Jyneez COMMUNIST PARTY" poo poo.

Edit: To clarify, this guy is in a forever safe district that includes almost exclusively corn and exurban chuds making angry videos about cancel culture from the driver seat of their $90,000 Yukons. I don't really want to hear his opinions on tech and the chinese communist party.

Hey, I live in his district be nice :mad:

Until last year's redistricting I lived in Jim Jordan's district, it could be worse :v:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Basticle posted:

Hey, I live in his district be nice :mad:

Until last year's redistricting I lived in Jim Jordan's district, it could be worse :v:
You may be the only person who's life was improved by Ohio's illegal redistricting.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arrath posted:

FISA court being all secretive and poo poo doesn't exactly help

You gotta be loving kidding me, right?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cugel the Clever posted:

Did congress take American tech companies to task for their alleged lack of security practices and I just missed it? They literally made a big show of "CHINA STEALING R DATA". Acknowledging that they're hypocrites isn't handwaving or equivocation.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Grip it and rip it posted:

Did congress take American tech companies to task for their alleged lack of security practices and I just missed it?

... Yes?

https://www.npr.org/2021/03/25/980510388/facebook-twitter-google-ceos-testify-before-congress-4-things-to-know

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/30/technology/facebook-senate-hearing.html

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

You gotta be loving kidding me, right?

Well, no, but obviously I'm misremembering some facts. Please by all means, correct me. I'd rather have it right next time!

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

bulletsponge13 posted:

I disagree. There are people who are beyond rehabilitation- people who can't be fixed, and will continue to do their heinous actions upon release. I think it's more humane to execute them than it is to keep them locked up for the rest of their lives.

E- I also killed people for money, so there is that.

Even in countries with no death penalty and 20 year maximum prison sentences, people deemed sufficiently predatory or otherwise incapable of existing in society don't ever get out. They end up hospitalized. It means people get a second chance and it does a ton to keep prisons from going completely batfuck insane from, basically, lifer culture and the effects of people living with zero hope of freedom.

e:

Hekk posted:

Looks like everyone has picked their side and made their claims on why the death penalty should/should not continue.

Let’s move onto some other topic now. Nothing good will come from trying to convince others why your firmly held belief is the correct one.

sorry, just saw this

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Mar 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arrath posted:

Well, no, but obviously I'm misremembering some facts. Please by all means, correct me. I'd rather have it right next time!

Who do you think the targets of FISA warrants are? And why do you want their surveillance warrants to be anything close to open and public?

Do you even know why we have the FISA courts? Do you think it was a G.W. Bush, Post 9/11 thing?

Teddy Kennedy was it’s big humper and loving Jimmy Carter signed it into law. FISA is so we don’t have a COINTELPRO (Actually several loving amendments to the constitution and the constitution as originally written should prevent COINTELPRO type poo poo from happening but just like it’s some times “boops all crunch berries!” sometimes it’s “ooops all fascists!” with some of the key players in the USG. But I digress..) type poo poo happen again.

Dude, it’s the brakes, not the gas, on mass surveillance and Intel fuckery. It ain’t perfect, and in 2001, much like 2016 we got the “ooops all fascists!” (Except for JON “BIG DICK NO APPENDIX “ ASHCROFT from a loving surgical recovery ward)

It’s not an inherently bad system, in fact it takes a confluence of assholes, world and national events, and old school politics for it to go from something good to something bad (looking at you STELLAR WIND predecessors and successors. And the NSA broadly from 2001-2007) and this is true of 100% of all USG programs.

You want to rail against the hosed Supreme Court, Legislative Bodies, and various Fed’s in the Executive’s purview.

Now I won’t try to defend the court by the public numbers, and truthfully I don’t know if there are other non public numbers but my intuition tells there are. No idea where those fell but my guess is 99%+ approvals. So yeah, that’s not where I’m coming from.

FISA, as chartered and originally authorized, was a good thing.

Everything. And I mean everything, went to gently caress after 9/11. It’s gonna take time to unfuck these things, and I’m told progress has been made, but we 100% bypass FISA by using FIVEYES agreements.

That’s an even larger tragedy than what Bush, Cheney, and Rehnquist and his goofy stripes did to FISA and it’s been a thing since the CSS was founded. Look up how long ago that was.

gently caress all Intel, but we need them. (To stay in their SCIF’s and never try to be part of normal society again)

LtCol J. Krusinski fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Mar 24, 2023