Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

MarcusSA posted:

Done!

Any recommendations for a sharpening stone or just whatever?

I use sharpening stones for some of my knives but the boning knife I use so rarely I’ve only sharpened it once and just used a mechanical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Awesome. Thanks and sorry for all the dumbass questions tonight.

Setting the smoker up tomorrow.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

If you're smoking 20 lbs of brisket tomorrow, you may not get to smoke the cream cheese until Saturday.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

If you're smoking 20 lbs of brisket tomorrow, you may not get to smoke the cream cheese until Saturday.

One of the best little appetizers. Useful tiding over the angry hoards when the meat isnt quite done.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

So everything I read was at 250 it’s approx 30 min per lb. Is that not correct?

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

In my experience you can't use metrics like that to try and time things, it'll burn you if you're trying to get things ready for a party, etc.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Yeah if you're throwing it on at 8am don't be surprised if it's 10pm or later when it's actually finished. Or it could be 4pm. Seems like there is no rhyme or reason, I've had them take anywhere from 8-16 hours.

Just don't plan to have dinner on at a certain time with people waiting, especially on your first smoke.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Like someone said earlier, the meat will be done when it's done and it's a fools game to try to time it to be ready for dinner. A large whole packer like that is going to have varying amounts of moisture and fat. Could be 30m/lb, 45m/lb, or even more. I would plan on starting much earlier than 8 AM and have a faux cambro ready to keep it warm.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

You need to start your fire at 4am if you want it done in time for dinner.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Internet Explorer posted:

Give yourself way more time than you think. It could be 18 hours. Easier to wrap it and keep it warm in a cooler for a few hours than to speed it up.

This has been my best and hardest lesson to learn. I have improved my smokes (and anxiety) by giving myself more time and offloading to a cooler

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Well guess I’m getting up earlier lol.

That’s fine though my dog has been getting up stupid early every day anyway.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Well guess I’m getting up earlier lol.

That’s fine though my dog has been getting up stupid early every day anyway.

Echoing the “start sooner, always” sentiment. Don’t be worried about it finishing too early. A wrapped brisket resting in a turned off oven will stay at a good serving temp for hours. You want to let it rest for at least an hour anyway.

If you trimmed that 20lb big boy down to 16ish, I would count on 40min/lb at 250 unless it’s a weirdly thin, long brisket. With a minimum rest time of an hour. That puts you at 11h40m from the time it goes on the smoker.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Echoing the “start sooner, always” sentiment. Don’t be worried about it finishing too early. A wrapped brisket resting in a turned off oven will stay at a good serving temp for hours. You want to let it rest for at least an hour anyway.

If you trimmed that 20lb big boy down to 16ish, I would count on 40min/lb at 250 unless it’s a weirdly thin, long brisket. With a minimum rest time of an hour. That puts you at 11h40m from the time it goes on the smoker.

Thanks!

I’ll post pictures tomorrow of my progress!

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks!

I’ll post pictures tomorrow of my progress!

Hell yeah, good luck!

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
For what it's worth - I've done brisket a few times and think it's overrated both when done at home and at a bbq joint. worth doing at least once though.

Brisket burnt ends are godly though.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm excited for you! Enjoy!

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Kaddish posted:

For what it's worth - I've done brisket a few times and think it's overrated both when done at home and at a bbq joint. worth doing at least once though.

Brisket burnt ends are godly though.

Counterpoint, I’ve done a brisket once at home and it was delicious. Also, usually when I get it at a bbq place it is also delicious.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
IMO, brisket done right is peak BBQ. That said, brisket is not very forgiving and the quality of the brisket itself has a huge impact on the final product. It's also easy to dry it out and make something pretty forgettable. Pulled pork is one of the easiest, most forgiving things to BBQ, almost always delicious and ridiculously cost effective.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Oh I get that my opinion isn't the majority. Perfect brisket just isn't peak bbq to me. Beef plate ribs have that spot in my heart.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Random Hero posted:

IMO, brisket done right is peak BBQ. That said, brisket is not very forgiving and the quality of the brisket itself has a huge impact on the final product. It's also easy to dry it out and make something pretty forgettable. Pulled pork is one of the easiest, most forgiving things to BBQ, almost always delicious and ridiculously cost effective.

Agreed wholeheartedly. While I’ve done some good Walmart USDA select briskets, most of them probably should’ve been burgers. I’ve had almost 0 issues with prime briskets I’ve gotten. That of course comes with a price!

Speaking of smoking beef— Sams had beef cheek for roughly $3/lb this week so I picked up a package of 7lbs to try my hand at barbacoa. From my research, I’ve found a myriad of ways to spice, cook, and serve it so I kinda went simple and just did salt, pepper and garlic. Smoked until the bark set then braised on the smoker in beef broth, garlic, white onion, chipotles in adobo and jalaps.

It came out closer to brisket or beef ribs than I had original imagined. It was absolutely delicious but came out at the taste and consistency of good point meat. We talked earlier in this thread about wanting to buy a point-only brisket cut— I think this is the closest you can get.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

One of the best briskets I've ever made I ended up resting wrapped in a cooler for something like four hours because it finished early and I had a two hour drive to the lake.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dango Bango posted:

One of the best briskets I've ever made I ended up resting wrapped in a cooler for something like four hours because it finished early and I had a two hour drive to the lake.

Same here, well except for the driving to the lake part that sounds cool.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Plate ribs are just brisket attached to a stick they’re from the same area of the cow.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Same here, well except for the driving to the lake part that sounds cool.

It was cool actually. I had more than enough so I was letting people around us try it too. It was cool to get rave reviews from total strangers :)

We were camping that weekend and chopped up the point with a ton of eggs for breakfast burritos. It was incredible.

Grandito
Sep 6, 2008
If you trust the Traeger temp controller, just start the brisket tonight before bed. Put it on at 10pm, wake up bright and early to check on it.

It works best if you have a thermometer with an alarm for the grate that can wake you up if something goes wrong with the fire.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

Grandito posted:

If you trust the Traeger temp controller, just start the brisket tonight before bed. Put it on at 10pm, wake up bright and early to check on it.

It works best if you have a thermometer with an alarm for the grate that can wake you up if something goes wrong with the fire.

This is what I do. Im a night owl, so Ill start a brisket at 2am right before i go to bed. I have a thermo probe for the brisket and an air probe that sets on the grate. Ill set alarms for low and high temps on the air probe and of course the brisket.

Ive had some finish as early as noon. Ill wrap it up and put it in a cooler with towels. It held temp until dinner just fine.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
My wife would never let me leave the smoker on over night :(

sinburger
Sep 10, 2006

*hurk*

I've had great success with starting my brisket the morning before, then keeping it wrapped in butcher paper in the oven on the keep warm setting. If your oven can hold a 150ish temp for many hours you'll get a super long rest and the butcher paper will keep it from drying out, but not let it get mushy.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

sinburger posted:

I've had great success with starting my brisket the morning before, then keeping it wrapped in butcher paper in the oven on the keep warm setting. If your oven can hold a 150ish temp for many hours you'll get a super long rest and the butcher paper will keep it from drying out, but not let it get mushy.

I like to put my trimmings into my tiny slow cooker when I start the smoke. By the time I need it they are liquid and ready to soak the butcher paper I'm going to wrap it in.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Last question before I go to bed.

How long do I let the brisket sit out of the fridge before I throw it on the grill? I’ve read an hour but not sure if that’s correct.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

As long as it's thawed, salted and seasoned, you can keep it in the fridge until smoking time.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Last question before I go to bed.

How long do I let the brisket sit out of the fridge before I throw it on the grill? I’ve read an hour but not sure if that’s correct.

I usually just get it out while I'm starting up the smoker and call that good

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Awesome thanks! I’ll get to get an extra hour sleep then.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

sinburger posted:

Same. Worked a treat.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I am going to use aluminum foil on this first one.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Random Hero posted:

Agreed all-around. Wagyu brisket from my local BBQ place is god tier. Like a peak experience kind of thing where you take a bite and just sit back in your chair and just try to hold onto that moment.

I've done a few prime briskets and they've turned out OK to good. It's in a weird place for me where it's probably not worth the effort I put in, but in order to make one that is worth the effort, I have to keep trying and getting better at it.

But yeah, a pork shoulder is the one where it's hard to gently caress up and always worth it. I'd put ribs and chicken in that category too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hopefully I don’t gently caress this up lol

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Threw a couple of butts on this morning. Really wish Costco had bone-in, but I was feeling too lazy to stop anywhere else.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

Threw a couple of butts on this morning. Really wish Costco had bone-in, but I was feeling too lazy to stop anywhere else.

Speaking of butts, I did a Meat Church method of putting the butt in a foil tray with some chicken broth at the wrapping stage, and then smoking an hour unwrapped at the end. It was the best pulled pork I've made on a pellet grill.

Edit - Here it is. I went with traditional bbq seasoning/rub though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkenVuBMW5o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MarcusSA posted:

Hopefully I don’t gently caress this up lol

God speed