Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mods!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
dumb faces are funny :shrug:

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
i thought it was a p funny Takamura prank

slow pacing, but it's not like Ippo was gonna do anything more interesting anyway

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm very angry that no one died in this chapter. This manga is getting soft.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

Remember the sparring hype when Wally copied Sendo and Volg’s moves and it’s oh man he’s gonna use all these techniques against Ricardo or try to copy him!

Actual match: he just jumps around like an idiot the whole match and gets destroyed without doing anything other than regular punching attempts

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cool match

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

GateOfD posted:

Remember the sparring hype when Wally copied Sendo and Volg’s moves and it’s oh man he’s gonna use all these techniques against Ricardo or try to copy him!

Actual match: he just jumps around like an idiot the whole match and gets destroyed without doing anything other than regular punching attempts

He DID use the Smash, though.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

GateOfD posted:

I mean, they had someone directly talk about how Wally defeated his past opponents which was to attack at weird angles and try to target the opponent's eyes. Then in the fight Wally proceeded to...attack at weird angles and try to target Ricardo's eyes.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
if the kids are getting their debut fights then i am pretty sure we are in the last leg of ippo's retirement. a theme that has been hammered home during these chapters has been "ippo's obligation as a son" (to kamogawa) and how takamura seems to fully accept such an obligation, but ippo is still hesitant. we started getting more rapid development in ippo's physical skillset after his whole ordeal with tahei, and imo, his physical skills are meant to give us a thermometer on his mental state.

if those two are getting their debut fights, we're going to see ippo learn more about his obligation to kamogawa by playing the role of 'father' to those two, just like he did under the bridge with the mitts. this will give him one of the remaining puzzle pieces for his return to boxing in some fashion.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i wrote this a few months ago if anyone else enjoys annoyingly analyzing this series, might be a good read or provide discussion points:

The first part of HnI is about Ippo getting a boxing license and winning the Rookie Kings and Class A tournament. Those are the literal events on page, but they're not the theme. The theme of the arc is Ippo's journey from a shy, reserved and bullied teenager into a confident young man through diligence, exposure to others, and his metaphorical "stepping out into the world". This theme guides the way the arc is written and how Ippo interacts with, and learns from, other characters.

The second part of HnI is about Ippo turning from this "newborn" man into a man with desire and purpose. Against Date he learns the sting of defeat for the first time - that's the literal event - but the theme involved is Ippo experiencing the dark side of the world he stepped into. There's even a chapter where his Mom basically flat out says "you've become a man now". And he doesn't shrink from the defeat but overcomes it and actualizes that step into manhood by fighting and defeating Sendo.

The third part of HnI is about Ippo and his close relationships, as he gets closer and closer to Kumi and, at the same time, closer and closer to fighting Miyata on equal grounds. The title defenses he undergoes show him in the role of champions - a man, in the ascendency - guarding that manhood and status from a position of power. He often fights opponents who are perversions of other characters, like Sawamura as an "evil" Miyata, or Shimabukuro as a "different" Ippo. This part of the story is a little different than the first two, as Ippo isn't explicitly "going" anywhere, aside from the fact that we're supposedly getting closer to his final fight with Miyata. For a while this Bizarro Character theme repeats and then the arc ends with it happening again in a pretty blatant way, with Randy Boy JR being a Bizarro Ippo, in the sense that he's "Miyata's fated rival" just from a different perspective. Again, there's even literally a chapter where Sendo talks about fate and boxing matches and how Miyata might not be his.

I give credit to Mori for making that writing decision, it was an insanely bold one. Nobody would have blamed him for wrapping up the manga around that same time by having Ippo and Miyata fight, and maybe rushing through another few titles for Takamura. But he ... didn't do that. Instead we get the fourth part of HnI where it's Ippo fighting the Pacific Champions (and the equally unimpressive Japanese challengers). The on-screen motivation is like what you say, Ippo's lost his motivation and he needed to achieve quasi-OPBF Champ status without actually fighting Miyata, etc, etc. But what is this part of the story actually talking about? Where is it "going"? If the first part was Ippo going from child to young man, the second part Ippo having his first challenge of his new man status, and the third part about his relationships within this new adult world of his, what the hell is the fourth part even trying to say? Late in the arc against Woli we get Mori finally figuring out an idea, trying to center the arc on Ippo's relationship with Kamogawa and his status as a son, not as a man. But this is an idea he did better both before (especially around the time of the Sawamura fight and at the end of Kamogawa's flashback) and after (in the Retirement arc which I'll talk about next). It feels... tacked on, to say the least, unjustified is maybe a better word.

Then, though, we make another pretty drastic shift not too long after that fight. I personally consider most everything including the build-up to the Alf fight and Volg's fight for the IBF title, up to right now, all part of the fifth part of HnI. The greater theme of the story decides to lean pretty heavily into the "son" idea, so we start getting that as a theme in a lot of chapters. For example, we talk a lot about Volg's mom and her death and his boxing being somewhat in honor of her, setting the tone for a lot of what's to come. We ultimately get Takamura's speeches about Ippo's obligation to Kamogawa, because he's his son. We also get the reveal of Takamura's insistence on holding matches in Japan so he can eventually give the coach his wish. And, during Ippo's retirement, after he "failed" as a son by losing to Guevera, what mini-arc gets him to start turning things around? Re-read the arc from the beginning and you'll see, Ippo was not really doing too great from the get. However, he eventually found Tahei, and what do you know, we get another arc centered around the idea of being a "son", with Aoki being the first son of his family, and Ippo finally learning what he needs to know by taking on a "father" role in training them himself. Don't be surprised if we have a major moment with Tahei before Ippo finally returns to the ring - I think that relationship is pretty important in Morikawa's eyes.

Sorry I wrote a ton here, but I wanted to finally put down fully why I think the Pacific Champion arc is so bad. Not only are the fights pretty terrible, we just have absolutely no clarity of purpose. It's not really telling us anything about Ippo or growing him as a character at all the entire time, it's like we're just spinning our wheels or publishing chapters for the sake of it. And tbh, I think Morikawa noticed this too, and the entire retirement saga is sorta acknowledging that he needed to find his purpose with the manga again. But he's doing so from the perspective of a "son" who has something to learn, not a "man" who has already mastered the world.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

What if Ippo returns to the ring with the discovery that he can in fact, "just stay down" instead of using his superhuman will to turn his body into hamburger, and he becomes an Aoki level fighter.

Edit: Morikawa is definitely in "I am going to be the best Mangaka I can be now" mode and doing a lot to make good on the years of dithering, and he's also in his groove enough to take his time and stretch things out enough for him to be happy with it. The pacing can feel slow still week to week but as TBP mentioned there is a definite feeling of direction to the story again.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Mar 24, 2023

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I enjoy 'Ippo never goes back in the ring' as an alternate ending because it turns the whole series into a performance art piece about people building up expectations unreasonably high as Mori quits being a writer and goes into hiding to dodge his pissed fans.

I enjoyed the wall of text too, thanks.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ty - if ever those posts are annoying just lmk and i will stop. but i like analyzing what mori's doing with HnI as a whole, i love the series so much cuz it manages to be good shonen, great comedy and have a pretty strong core thesis underpinning it all

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

tbp posted:

ty - if ever those posts are annoying just lmk and i will stop. but i like analyzing what mori's doing with HnI as a whole, i love the series so much cuz it manages to be good shonen, great comedy and have a pretty strong core thesis underpinning it all

Post was great! I'd like to see more of them.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I do think, and I don't mean this in a bad way, that Mori has written himself into a pretty narrow framework as far as the future events of the series go. The themes have some fairly natural conclusions, and a lot of events have been heavily foreshadowed.

Sure, it's always possible there could be a swerve, and any number of themes or hints can be left by the wayside, but I also don't see anything that's been written so far as contradictory, so why not just assume it's all going to happen?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

BHB posted:

I do think, and I don't mean this in a bad way, that Mori has written himself into a pretty narrow framework as far as the future events of the series go. The themes have some fairly natural conclusions, and a lot of events have been heavily foreshadowed.

Sure, it's always possible there could be a swerve, and any number of themes or hints can be left by the wayside, but I also don't see anything that's been written so far as contradictory, so why not just assume it's all going to happen?
Is it obvious that Ippo vs Miyata will happen, or is it obvious that it won't happen?

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I think the two 100% moments are Ippo vs Ricardo, with Ippo vs. Miyata as the final conflict of the story. It's either those two fight, or it's for big important story reasons that they don't.

I won't pretend I can write the whole rest of the story, and I hope I didn't come off as thinking I can, it's more that there are a lot of beats to hit, and only a limited amount of ways I can think of to hit them all.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

BHB posted:

I think the two 100% moments are Ippo vs Ricardo, with Ippo vs. Miyata as the final conflict of the story.

I disagree slightly, I think Ippo vs Ricardo will be the final match, probably with Ippo vs Miyata coming just before that as a match to be the number one contender. If you build Ricardo up as the omega of boxing, he has to be the endpoint.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ippo V MIyata as a basement sparring match when they meet up as coaches after Ippo re-retires after he defeats Ricardo on points. Miyata wins because Ippo finally slept with Kumi the night before.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
I think the constant build-up and delaying of the Ippo-Miyata fight means it'll be the final.

Heck, they made their unfulfilled promise to remeet in the ring before Ricardo was even introduced.

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Ippo winning on points would be quite a troll

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

tbp posted:

I thought it was an interesting read.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

my parents boyfriend posted:

Ippo winning on points would be quite a troll

With the condition Miyata is in, Ippo could give him one of those Liver Lovetaps he gave Wally and Miyata would probably keel over dead.

Let's not forget that the last time we saw Miyata, he was killing himself just to stay in featherweight, and he's already got hosed up ribs thanks to Randy Boy Jr.

Honestly it wouldn't surprise me that even if we get the match, Morikawa would make it an unfulfilling contest as some form of in-and-out of universe statement about the danger of over-expectations in boxing.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I do not have the memory for a series of this length so correct me if I'm wrong but didn't miyata move up a weight class? I thought there was a whole thing about ippo losing his goal now that a match with miyata was no longer in the cards?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

tbp posted:

a theme that has been hammered home during these chapters has been "ippo's obligation as a son" (to kamogawa)

Ippo's mom remarries to Kamogawa during the epilogue

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Garrand posted:

I do not have the memory for a series of this length so correct me if I'm wrong but didn't miyata move up a weight class? I thought there was a whole thing about ippo losing his goal now that a match with miyata was no longer in the cards?

No, he's been stubbornly staying in featherweight despite the harm it's been doing to him because he still wants a fight with Ippo as a pro boxer. I think Sendo, Takamura, and even Ippo have told him to move on but he at the moment refuses to.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 16 days!)

i'm ready for a new ippo going into new matches and instead of face-tanking every hit like he usually does

just outright starts parrying/catching every punch and counterpunching everyone, and everyone just starts sweating bullets

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

GateOfD posted:

i'm ready for a new ippo going into new matches and instead of face-tanking every hit like he usually does

just outright starts parrying/catching every punch and counterpunching everyone, and everyone just starts sweating bullets

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
After over 1400 chapters, I am ready for Ippo to become Good At Boxing

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

GateOfD posted:

hey he did it once! against a guy ranked like sixth or something it was p cool

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He learned from watching Sendo that getting punched in the face is cool actually

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

No, he's been stubbornly staying in featherweight despite the harm it's been doing to him because he still wants a fight with Ippo as a pro boxer. I think Sendo, Takamura, and even Ippo have told him to move on but he at the moment refuses to.

I could have swore he already moved up, but this is what the Wiki says:

Ippo Wiki posted:

Ippo pleaded for Miyata that if he is the reason why he wasn't in his best condition in his recent match, to stop fixating on him because he is never returning to the ring, wanting Miyata to go to a different weight class since he is struggling as a featherweight. Miyata replied that he will switch depending on Ippo's answer, asking him who said that he was punch drunk. Seeing Ippo unable to answer, Miyata walked away, telling him that what lies ahead will be his own decision.

Artelier posted:

hey he did it once! against a guy ranked like sixth or something it was p cool

Is that the guy who thought he could tank Ippo's hits by doing lots of crunches? That's the only fight I remember him really dominating from beginning to end. He also completely destroyed the number 5(?) guy right after the Rookie King to get him close enough to challenge Date, but even that wasn't a sure thing at first.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sindai posted:

After over 1400 chapters, I am ready for Ippo to become Good At Boxing

To be fair to Ippo, the comic occasionally makes it clear that Ippo is actually skilled at dodging punches via weaving; it's just that he goes up against absolute top-tier opponents that can hit him despite that.

The impression I get is that Ippo "specializes" in strength and "willpower" (ability to handle getting punched a lot) and will probably never be able to out-dodge the fighters who are geniuses at speed/technique, even though he also posseses other skills at a professional level and could probably easily dodge/counter the attacks of anyone who isn't a top-tier fighter. But in exchange, he only needs to get a couple good hits in to end a match.

I think the best skill for Ippo to reasonably get is learning to minimize the damage from getting hit, like Ricardo did in his match with Wali.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

all of ippo's abilities receive a 0.35 multiplier when he gets panicked which leads to him getting hit way more than he needs to. more than running another 10 miles he needs to spend time with a sports psychologist. it's actually fundamentally wacky that kamogawa never had him do this, you'd think he would when he noticed ippo hadn't gained like literally any confidence as a boxer despite winning the national championship and defending a bunch

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Takes No Damage posted:

Is that the guy who thought he could tank Ippo's hits by doing lots of crunches? That's the only fight I remember him really dominating from beginning to end. He also completely destroyed the number 5(?) guy right after the Rookie King to get him close enough to challenge Date, but even that wasn't a sure thing at first.
I don't remember crunches specifically, but I do remember the guy's name was Karasawa! It was maybe a 5-ish chapter match, where Ippo kept walking forward and slowly cornering Karasawa into the corner.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

tbp posted:

all of ippo's abilities receive a 0.35 multiplier when he gets panicked which leads to him getting hit way more than he needs to. more than running another 10 miles he needs to spend time with a sports psychologist. it's actually fundamentally wacky that kamogawa never had him do this, you'd think he would when he noticed ippo hadn't gained like literally any confidence as a boxer despite winning the national championship and defending a bunch

kamogawa figures the burning japanese spirit evens it out, worked for him!

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

also doubleposting to emphasize I enjoyed your effort post tbp

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

To be fair to Ippo, the comic occasionally makes it clear that Ippo is actually skilled at dodging punches via weaving; it's just that he goes up against absolute top-tier opponents that can hit him despite that.

The impression I get is that Ippo "specializes" in strength and "willpower" (ability to handle getting punched a lot) and will probably never be able to out-dodge the fighters who are geniuses at speed/technique, even though he also posseses other skills at a professional level and could probably easily dodge/counter the attacks of anyone who isn't a top-tier fighter. But in exchange, he only needs to get a couple good hits in to end a match.

I think the best skill for Ippo to reasonably get is learning to minimize the damage from getting hit, like Ricardo did in his match with Wali.

at this point ippo's supplemented his ability to weave with the ability to overpower incoming punches by just catching or pushing them away, from all the mitt training. like he's not a COUNTER puncher but his defense now seems to be absolutely terrifying. an RL ippo now would probably express as someone who just lasts until the final few rounds deflecting punches and having god tier stamina until the opponent gets tired enough that their guard gets sloppy and then he just murders them

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Artelier posted:

I don't remember crunches specifically,

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

Patware posted:

at this point ippo's supplemented his ability to weave with the ability to overpower incoming punches by just catching or pushing them away, from all the mitt training. like he's not a COUNTER puncher but his defense now seems to be absolutely terrifying. an RL ippo now would probably express as someone who just lasts until the final few rounds deflecting punches and having god tier stamina until the opponent gets tired enough that their guard gets sloppy and then he just murders them

ippo the pursuit predator