Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

bobjr posted:

https://twitter.com/rahaeli/status/1638998811103186944?s=20

Imagine paying 12 bucks a month to not show that you're paying 12 bucks a month.

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Soon he'll make it so you get preferred voting if you have twitter blue, no collusion tho

.random
May 7, 2007

This is some real star-belly sneetch energy

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
Cross posting from the NHL thread

clean ayers act posted:

https://twitter.com/ConorRyan_93/status/1638920992021000192?s=20

Man Brad marchand is becoming really hard to hate lately

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

zedprime posted:

The "even" isn't qualifying that it's slightly odd to talk about an old video. The "even" is doing the heavy lifting that says racism still existed in 2005 so it is more allowable for black people to threaten us, but we have solved racism in the intervening 17 years.

I see that your math game is about on par with Elon's meme game

that's what she said! :elon::elon:

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

big black turnout posted:

Cross posting from the NHL thread

As a Canucks fan...

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

...! posted:

I see that your math game is about on par with Elon's meme game

there were, in fact, 17 years between 2005 and 2023, we're just old

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

bobjr posted:

Imagine paying 12 bucks a month to not show that you're paying 12 bucks a month.

wait what is this about a government ID? I thought you only had to pay 12 bucks and that was it

has elon literally remade the old system except now it costs money?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

bobjr posted:

i just realized,, there was a precedent for this already. Fallout 76, lol. Bethesda did a thing years back where if you paid for their dumb premium battle pass thing you got a special icon on your name automatically.

so people with them were targeted on sight for griefing/pvp by way of class war :laugh:

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

I thought Blue was $8. When did it become $12?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ymgve posted:

has elon literally remade the old system except now it costs money?
yes

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
actually on https://help.twitter.com/en/managing-your-account/about-twitter-verified-accounts it doesn't mention anything about needing a government ID at all, so I'm just extra confused

at this point I guess no one at twitter even knows what will happen on april 1st

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

grittyreboot posted:

I thought Blue was $8. When did it become $12?

They charge extra if you subscribe via the iOS app to make up for Apple’s cut of the fee.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

So, wait, is Twitter fine again?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

ymgve posted:

actually on https://help.twitter.com/en/managing-your-account/about-twitter-verified-accounts it doesn't mention anything about needing a government ID at all, so I'm just extra confused

at this point I guess no one at twitter even knows what will happen on april 1st
They moved it all to the "Legacy Verification policy" linked from that page as for "legacy" checkmarks you could provide ID to verify you were really you.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
They made separate grey checkmarks for government organizations at one point, presumably that's what that's for. Like 90% of the use cases have 'legacy' verified but that's presumably how anyone new trying to get it has to get it

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
An underrated lol for me is that Elon is trying to basically extort companies to pay $1000 a month for the checkmark, presumably thinking they’ll pay because otherwise someone might impersonate them and cost them a lot of money like with the insulin thing.

This could actually work, or it might backfire spectacularly and cause similar types of lawsuits that caused the verification system to be created to begin with.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The insane decisions and scandals will continue until people finally agree to call one of them #Elongate

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Steadiman posted:

An underrated lol for me is that Elon is trying to basically extort companies to pay $1000 a month for the checkmark, presumably thinking they’ll pay because otherwise someone might impersonate them and cost them a lot of money like with the insulin thing.

This could actually work, or it might backfire spectacularly and cause similar types of lawsuits that caused the verification system to be created to begin with.

I was kind of wondering if you'd get a repeat of the original verification lawsuit since the whole point was to avoid scams from someone pretending to be someone else.

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Dabir posted:

The insane decisions and scandals will continue until people finally agree to call one of them #Elongate

Let's try to not stretch this out

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

bobjr posted:

I was kind of wondering if you'd get a repeat of the original verification lawsuit since the whole point was to avoid scams from someone pretending to be someone else.

Elon’s thought of that. Now you have to say you’re a parody account if you impersonate an account or else you’re in super deep trouble. He’s got his bases covered, I think you’ll agree

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
Elon, I said it before, I'll say it again - green checkmark, $4.20 a month

Haha remember old pot smoking Elon? seems like so long ago....

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I miss Trump Twitter

He was a stumbling bully but there was a lot of fun picking apart his dumb loving posts

Elon is just a loving Randall, a lovely gremlin that is infuriatingly annoying and insanely unfun

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Cool Kids Club Soda posted:

Let's try to not stretch this out

Not much, what's up with you?

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Dabir posted:

That's what she said

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Cthulu Carl posted:

If this is all a setup for an April Fool's joke, it kills me to say it, but I would be really impressed.

Things can be both extremely pathetic but also impressive.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Waffle House posted:

So, wait, is Twitter fine again?

You tell us, Elon

Cool Kids Club Soda
Aug 20, 2010
😎❄️🌃🥤🧋🍹👌💯

Escape Goat posted:

Not much, what's up with you?

Got joe many liberals to cjange a log by bolb!!!! 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

beep by grandpa posted:

i just realized,, there was a precedent for this already. Fallout 76, lol. Bethesda did a thing years back where if you paid for their dumb premium battle pass thing you got a special icon on your name automatically.

so people with them were targeted on sight for griefing/pvp by way of class war :laugh:

twitter also already did it to itself with the hexagon nft avatars

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

IBroughttheFunk posted:

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1638728403858898944?cxt=HHwWgIDStaGz970tAAAA

You could have, y'know, just not commented on this old video at all, but then again Musk will Musk.

Here's the thing.

Even if there was a video where a black man was saying "yes, absolutely and literally kill all white people in America. Just gun 'em down in the street like dogs with their own guns", that's still one guy saying messed up things. You're a grown rear end adult and you should already understand that one guy saying hosed up poo poo does not mean ALL the guys who look like that guy share those opinions. poo poo, it's basically your loving battle cry every time one of your bros does a little mass shooting or sexually harasses or assaults someone.

So why is every individual non-white-cis-male person saying or doing something stupid suddenly universally applicable to everyone like them?

(I know why, but I'd still like to hear one of them try to explain it)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Here's the thing.

Even if there was a video where a black man was saying "yes, absolutely and literally kill all white people in America. Just gun 'em down in the street like dogs with their own guns", that's still one guy saying messed up things. You're a grown rear end adult and you should already understand that one guy saying hosed up poo poo does not mean ALL the guys who look like that guy share those opinions. poo poo, it's basically your loving battle cry every time one of your bros does a little mass shooting or sexually harasses or assaults someone.

So why is every individual non-white-cis-male person saying or doing something stupid suddenly universally applicable to everyone like them?

There's also that pesky little detail about all the actual hate crime mass murder white supremacists that actually go out and do that poo poo but little musky will never care about that

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bottom Liner posted:

There's also that pesky little detail about all the actual hate crime mass murder white supremacists that actually go out and do that poo poo but little musky will never care about that

Yeah exactly. But he's a centrist!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Here's the thing.

They are also overlooking that this would result in Elon being dead too, which, y'know, really adds a lot in favour to the 'kill all white people' camp.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Samovar posted:

They are also overlooking that this would result in Elon being dead too, which, y'know, really adds a lot in favour to the 'kill all white people' camp.

Start with him and then you can still stop whenever.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

E the Shaggy posted:

Welp at least it'll be nice to not get Elon nutjobs and legacy verified folks confused in the near future

https://twitter.com/verified/status/1639029459557679104
On the one hand it's pretty funny to watch verified people howling about how they will always remember the day they got verified, how their spouse and children were crying, that it was the culmination of years of effort and brand building, and how its literally torture that they'll lose it.

On the other hand the strategy is just plain dumb. The celebs and notable people deliver value just by posting there, and attract users, so believing it to be totally logical and equitable for them to have to pay to maintain the same blue check as everyone else completely misses the point.

It is pretty funny that there's basically nothing you can point to that visionary Elon Musk has announced or imposed since buying Twitter that is objectively a good or positive thing for it. Every idea either misses the point, is implemented haphazardly (or just promisd), or betrays the fact he doesn't understand the platform at all.

Durzel fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Mar 24, 2023

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Viscous Soda posted:

Things can be both extremely pathetic but also impressive.

That's what she said :smuggo:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Cthulu Carl posted:

That's what she said :smuggo:

That's what she said

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
*hugging my knees and rocking back and forth in a padded cell* That's what she said. That's what she said. That's what she

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
Let what she said sink in.

Grimes: "I'm leaving."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
(that's what she said)