Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I would argue that more potential cocktail enjoyers have been turned off by a martini or negroni made with M&R than potential sherry enjoyers turned off by Taylor's, haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Martini and Rossi doesn’t really stand out from the pack in any way, but it isn’t that bad. I think it’s so commonly available that it’s usually the one you find that’s been sitting unsealed on someone’s radiator for half a decade so it’s gotten a really bad reputation.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

tonedef131 posted:

Martini and Rossi doesn’t really stand out from the pack in any way, but it isn’t that bad. I think it’s so commonly available that it’s usually the one you find that’s been sitting unsealed on someone’s radiator for half a decade so it’s gotten a really bad reputation.

it's this. a fresh bottle of M&R is Fine. not good, but Fine.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Maybe it’s just my taste buds but I think M&R sucks. I had a pretty hard time learning to like vermouth until I realized the problem was just M&R. Which is unfortunate since it’s the only vermouth I can buy without driving over an hour away.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I can really only speak to my own personal tastes but their sweet vermouth tastes like rear end to me, and it was a fresh bottle I opened myself. Their dry is at least inoffensive , but in a 2 or 3 ingredient drink I want more than "it's not terrible I guess"

Not to mention Dolin or Noilly Prat are like $1-3 more expensive for much better stuff, IMO at least.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

M&R made such a bad Manhattan I swore them off for a decade.

Carpano antica and (especially) cocchi have saved them for me.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Seems like standard cocktail drinker protocol to try M&R and hate it. Same experience for me in college put me off martinis and manhattans for a decade+, thinking all vermouth was poo poo.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
For some reason lately I’ve made Torontos but served them like sazeracs, down in a chilled glass with absinthe rinse and lemon peel, and I gotta say, it works surprisingly well.

Justa Dandelion
Nov 27, 2020

[sobbing] Look at the circles under my eyes. I haven't slept in weeks!

I had a buddy who was crashing on our couch and had a pretty bad day. Got a text from him in the middle of the day saying "I'm so sorry, I drank all your martinis!". I had to tell him I'm sorry that he drank a whole bottle of dry Vermouth lol.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
If you order a martini in France, that’s what you get

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I would argue that more potential cocktail enjoyers have been turned off by a martini or negroni made with M&R than potential sherry enjoyers turned off by Taylor's, haha

Some of the best bars in the world use m&r dry as their house dry.

M&R is fine.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Fart Car '97 posted:

Some of the best bars in the world use m&r dry as their house dry.

M&R is fine.

i mean the point i made was i think it tastes so bad it almost ruined even the idea of several cocktails for me and multiple people chimed in to go "oh yeah same lol" so yeah I stand by my post

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Mar 23, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
As someone else said, I do think the sweet M&R is a much bigger letdown than the dry. I'd be lying if I said I taste a whole world of difference between a martini made with dry M&R and Dolin or something. But sweet M&R vs Carpano Antica or Noilly Prat is like a whole different world. It literally tastes like one of the latter has gone bad.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Agree. The dry is merely ok. The sweet/rosso is just not good.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice
I think I'd struggle to tell the difference between a negroni made with M&R versus Dolin, but boy howdy does M&R make for a crappy Manhattan. In my opinion M&R is too sweet to be a good mixer in many drinks.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Happy National Cocktail Day, all who celebrate. I went to Attaboy on Wednesday and another good spot last night, so I'm a little cocktailed out. But I may rally and try an Italicus cocktail the Educated Barfly posted this week.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Italicus is really nice.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Sashimi posted:

I think I'd struggle to tell the difference between a negroni made with M&R versus Dolin, but boy howdy does M&R make for a crappy Manhattan. In my opinion M&R is too sweet to be a good mixer in many drinks.

Honestly I like it in my Manhattan because of the sweetness - I pair it with cheap Jim beam rye and it's a good quaffable liquor-only cocktail.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Anonymous Robot posted:

Italicus is really nice.

Yeah I really like drinking it on ice. Haven’t seen many cocktails that include it though.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah I really like drinking it on ice. Haven’t seen many cocktails that include it though.

Yeah, I haven’t either, though I suspect that its usage is probably nearly as flexible as elderflower liqueur.

A splash of it in place of a portion of the vermouth is nice in a negroni. I recently saw the Educated Barfly put it in a tonic with cold brew coffee, which sounds intriguing. Personally, my favorite way to have it is with grapefruit juice, soda water and a cocktail onion or two. The added salinity goes a long way with it.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I just made the cold brew one. It’s really good!

I saved it in Mixel for later: https://links.mixelcocktails.com/bgNb

Professor Wayne fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Mar 25, 2023

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
What's the worst Restaurant Mai Tai you've ever seen?

I was at a Ruby Tuesdays with a big group the other day and they had a "tropical Mai Tai" that was rum, triple sec, pineapple and orange juice. You know, like a Mai Tai should be. pretty sure they serve it with a pineapple wedge and maraschino cherry.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Dave and Busters’ “Jamaican Mai Tai” features Jamaican rum, sweet and sour mix, pineapple juice, Aperol, mango puree and ginger beer.

The Bandit
Aug 18, 2006

Westbound And Down

Strange Matter posted:

….pineapple and orange juice. You know, like a Mai Tai should be.

Umm excuse me?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

So the local liquor store owner recommended this rye whiskey I'd never seen - coming from California, some distillery called Savage & Cooke.

I have no idea how he got this stuff or how widely it's distributed (I'm in NJ) but if you can find it, highly recommend. I'm not much for describing detailed flavor profiles but it's nice and spicy without being too sharp, which fits the 90proof level. It's a 3-year, 45% rye bill that's finished in Grenache barrels, and you can really taste the dry wine finish.

I'll try to write a better review when I'm a little more sober and can sit down and savor it, but drat, it's real good. Cool bottle, too:

vvvv the photograph is weird and artsy but i'm a sucker for weirdly-shaped bottles and it's this kind of rounded-off square shape I thought was really neat

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Mar 27, 2023

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Oven Wrangler
TBH I don't think I'd buy that bottle if it contained the best liquor in the world.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

The Bandit posted:

Umm excuse me?
Chain restaurants basically treat Mai Tai as shorthand for "fruity tropical drink" and so will just throw anything they want into it.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Dave and Busters’ “Jamaican Mai Tai” features Jamaican rum, sweet and sour mix, pineapple juice, Aperol, mango puree and ginger beer.
Like this atrocity. Since nothing says "Jamaican" like an italian apertif.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Strange Matter posted:

Like this atrocity. Since nothing says "Jamaican" like an italian apertif.

counterpoint: Jungle Birds are best with a funky Jamaican

(I agree with you I'm just being a goof)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Snow Cone Capone posted:

So the local liquor store owner recommended this rye whiskey I'd never seen - coming from California, some distillery called Savage & Cooke.

I have no idea how he got this stuff or how widely it's distributed (I'm in NJ) but if you can find it, highly recommend. I'm not much for describing detailed flavor profiles but it's nice and spicy without being too sharp, which fits the 90proof level. It's a 3-year, 45% rye bill that's finished in Grenache barrels, and you can really taste the dry wine finish.

I'll try to write a better review when I'm a little more sober and can sit down and savor it, but drat, it's real good. Cool bottle, too:

vvvv the photograph is weird and artsy but i'm a sucker for weirdly-shaped bottles and it's this kind of rounded-off square shape I thought was really neat

Never.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Snow Cone Capone posted:

counterpoint: Jungle Birds are best with a funky Jamaican

(I agree with you I'm just being a goof)
The exception that proves the rule :colbert:

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I have no idea what herbs actually they actually put in it, but sweet M&R tastes strongly of oregano to me.

Which imo does not make for a great manhattan

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I’ve seen this in WA but passed. It’s sourced whiskey, and the mash bill (51% rye 45% corn 4% barley) doesn’t match up with any other whiskey distillers I can find. I bet it’s fine but who knows the source? The guy that owns the brand started in wine, so I’m sure he’s got interesting barrels to finish the whiskey in before bottling.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

I’ve seen this in WA but passed. It’s sourced whiskey, and the mash bill (51% rye 45% corn 4% barley) doesn’t match up with any other whiskey distillers I can find. I bet it’s fine but who knows the source? The guy that owns the brand started in wine, so I’m sure he’s got interesting barrels to finish the whiskey in before bottling.

That’s an MGP mashbill

https://www.mgpingredients.com/distilling-solutions/beverage/product/whiskey/51-rye-whiskey.html

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I don't know enough about whiskey to comment but I'm guessing MGP is one of those industrial producers that just ships the same alcohol to 20 different distillers?

here's what the official site says:

As someone with little knowledge about it, I *want* to say that the whole "titrating to 90 with pure spring water" thing is a load of bullshit, but it might not be? It sure sounds like PR nonsense.

Regardless, I'm pretty happy with it, not gonna lie.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

So, trying the 18 yr Flor de Cana, and I'm not sure there's a cocktail worth making with it vs sipping. Did anyone have any cocktail advice? I've tried a daiquiri and a rum old fashioned, and neither really elevated the base spirit.

Also, does anyone have advice on making a caipirinha? I tried the traditional way, with a quartered lime, two barspoons of superfine sugar, and 2 oz of Novo Fogo, and it ends up WAY too sour after shaking, even without muddling. Next one I make is just gonna be a dacquiri with cachaca if nobody can point out anything I'm doing wrong. I love the cachaca, but the two caipirinhas I've made have been too tart and pulpy. Not fun.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dunno if I'm doing caipirinhas wrong or not, but it's the way I like 'em, and it's the way I make 'em for people, so take with necessary salt:

I do as much as a full lime, eighthed, and muddle it hard with fine sugar in a glass until every bit of juice is squeezed out and as much pulp as possible has been loosened. Then I pack the glass with ice (small cubes best) and fill it about 2/3 up the height with cachaça (or pisco or rum or in better times, Chartreuse).

Take a bar spoon and stir gently, up-and-down, being careful not to get ice everywhere, to get the lime wedges floating and the ice cubes all mixed throughout.

End result (this is after drinking a bit):

Pulpy, tart, and easy drinkin'. Might not be your goal or reading of the spec, but to me it feels like what the drink and its ingredients want to be.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Someone in this thread (it may even have been you) suggested doing a caipirinha with Chartreuse. It's also really worth checking out, they're delicious.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I can't imagine 2oz of chartreuse. That seems far too decadent.

Data Graham posted:

Dunno if I'm doing caipirinhas wrong or not, but it's the way I like 'em, and it's the way I make 'em for people, so take with necessary salt:

I do as much as a full lime, eighthed, and muddle it hard with fine sugar in a glass until every bit of juice is squeezed out and as much pulp as possible has been loosened. Then I pack the glass with ice (small cubes best) and fill it about 2/3 up the height with cachaça (or pisco or rum or in better times, Chartreuse).

Take a bar spoon and stir gently, up-and-down, being careful not to get ice everywhere, to get the lime wedges floating and the ice cubes all mixed throughout.

End result (this is after drinking a bit):

Pulpy, tart, and easy drinkin'. Might not be your goal or reading of the spec, but to me it feels like what the drink and its ingredients want to be.
I am not gonna say you're wrong, I just don't want lime pulp in my drink, and the first one I made where I muddled the lime heavily was FAR more tart and unbalanced than when I just shook the lime quarters with ice.

Am I not doing enough sugar? Two level barspoons just seems insignificant in the face of one fully juice lime. I put limes peel side down and muddled, and the sugar got dissolved into the juice, but it still seemed unbalanced. I guess I could try more?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I don't know enough about whiskey to comment but I'm guessing MGP is one of those industrial producers that just ships the same alcohol to 20 different distillers?

Yep. You’ve had it before I’m sure. Pretty much any time it says “distilled in Indiana” on a bottle it’s an MGP product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh wow, ok. Thanks for the info!

Actually due to the advice on this thread and elsewhere, the only one on that list that I've had is High West, and that was their double rye so I dunno if it used that.

The thing to look out for is "distilled and bottled by" as far as avoiding stuff like that MGP, right?

I mean tbh, is it actually even something to avoid, or is it a bit overblown?