Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

harperdc posted:

Have you checked the calendar? Until at least a couple years ago, they didn’t have games on Mondays. Also check if it’s the Marine Day holiday Monday or not, because that’s more likely to sell out.

Otherwise it’s fairly straightforward…until you say 8-10 people. Then it might be best to plan ahead (those tickets likely going on sale soon through May) or rock up day of knowing you’re taking a risk.

Gabriel Grub posted:

If it's a weekday, non-holiday game, you don't necessarily have to snap up the tickets quickly, but there's no reason not to buy the tickets in advance at a convenience store as soon as you get a chance.

I'm sure the convenience store staff will help you navigate the menus if you are able to show them exactly what game you are trying to attend.

Yeah it's not on Mon, looks like Tues-Wed-Thurs. The thing about buying in advance is that we don't know exactly which day nor how many people will be going until we get to Japan as we're coordinating 3 parties, but maybe it's better to buy early and give away any tickets that won't be used. Thanks for the feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
How terrible will the Shimanami Kaido be during mid August? I already know to expect hot and humid.

Plan so far:

8/9 - arrive in TYO
8/10 - shopping and random hobby browsing in Tokyo
8/11 - 8/16 - who knows, Obon seems to make things hard
8/17 - 20 Shimanami Kaido (which direction?)
8/21 - Osaka (staying there for rest of trip)
8/22 - 23 - Kyoto (the usual big highlights)
8/24 - Kinosaki
8/25 - daytrip from Osaka - Nara, Hiroshima?
8/26 - Travel all the way up to Daisen for the Oomagari Fireworks festival, then back down to Sendai
8/27 - Sendai to TYO to go home

I'd really appreciate any help, especially with 8/11-16. Any suggestions for stuff in the area that won't be inundated with tourists (since I figure the Osaka/Kyoto days will be full of them)? Is Shikoku even doable without a car?

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

socketwrencher posted:

Yeah it's not on Mon, looks like Tues-Wed-Thurs. The thing about buying in advance is that we don't know exactly which day nor how many people will be going until we get to Japan as we're coordinating 3 parties, but maybe it's better to buy early and give away any tickets that won't be used. Thanks for the feedback.

Well you will already have to be in Japan to do a convenience store purchase. I'm just saying you don't have to wait to get all the way to the stadium ticket window to secure tickets.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Pity that that Japan doesn’t get the Mario movie until late April, I was gonna drag my dad along to go see it. :v:

It will probably only showing in Japanese dub anyway.

Gabriel Grub fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 23, 2023

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

I have a regular Kinokuniya subscription to a picross/nonogram magazine that has big poster-sized picross posters I like to do.

If I’m in Tokyo, what kind of place could I go to get even bigger picross puzzles?
Or, where could I go to inquire about finding the biggest picross posters tokyo has to offer?

Just to give you an idea of what I mean and what I eat for breakfast:

I crave bigger!

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Robot Restaurant is gone and I learned that the Kawaii Monster Cafe also bit the dust during covid shutdowns. So whats left of over-the-top gaudy and awful tourist traps in Japan?

EDIT: NOT related to the above question obv, but it seems the Gundam in Yokohama has been extended again til 2024. I'm glad I am going to get a chance to see it!

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 23, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Gabriel Grub posted:

It will probably only showing in Japanese dub anyway.

It’s aimed at kids, I would put it at 90% odds it’ll only be dubbed on release here.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Blackchamber posted:

The Robot Restaurant is gone and I learned that the Kawaii Monster Cafe also bit the dust during covid shutdowns. So whats left of over-the-top gaudy and awful tourist traps in Japan?

EDIT: NOT related to the above question obv, but it seems the Gundam in Yokohama has been extended again til 2024. I'm glad I am going to get a chance to see it!

We did the vampire cafe in Ginza, it was surprisingly decent.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Crampy Grampaw posted:

How terrible will the Shimanami Kaido be during mid August? I already know to expect hot and humid.

I'd really appreciate any help, especially with 8/11-16. Any suggestions for stuff in the area that won't be inundated with tourists (since I figure the Osaka/Kyoto days will be full of them)? Is Shikoku even doable without a car?

Shikoku is doable without a car, but it depends on how much you try to fit in each day.

Yes Shimanami Kaido will be hot and humid like the rest of the country. There's little shade but the wind feels wonderful. I live in Niihama, Ehime so my default is Ehime→Hiroshima, I think most visitors do it the other way and then don't give any time to Shikoku.

- My family's favorite minshuku is Nagoma on Oshima island
- Oyamazumi shrine (Omishima, Imabari, Ehime)
- Kosanji temple (Ikuchijima, Onomichi, Hiroshima)
- Dolphin farm (Hakatajima, Imabari, Ehime)
- Side trip to bunny island (Okunoshima, Takehara, Hiroshima)

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I thought I was a fan of picross but Jesus loving Christ that thing looks insane.

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Crampy Grampaw posted:

Is Shikoku even doable without a car?

I live in southwest shikoku with no car
If it’s the city there should be no problem — it just depends on how time your willing to spend

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm planning on going to Shikoku for my next trip back to Japan - even though a car is not required, I'm sure it would make the experience 100x better, no?

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009

peanut posted:

Shikoku is doable without a car, but it depends on how much you try to fit in each day.

Yes Shimanami Kaido will be hot and humid like the rest of the country. There's little shade but the wind feels wonderful. I live in Niihama, Ehime so my default is Ehime→Hiroshima, I think most visitors do it the other way and then don't give any time to Shikoku.

- My family's favorite minshuku is Nagoma on Oshima island
- Oyamazumi shrine (Omishima, Imabari, Ehime)
- Kosanji temple (Ikuchijima, Onomichi, Hiroshima)
- Dolphin farm (Hakatajima, Imabari, Ehime)
- Side trip to bunny island (Okunoshima, Takehara, Hiroshima)

Thank you! How much will Obon affect things in terms of closures/crowdedness, or is that mostly a Tokyo thing?

mongolia
Jan 18, 2017

Busy Bee posted:

I'm planning on going to Shikoku for my next trip back to Japan - even though a car is not required, I'm sure it would make the experience 100x better, no?

A car opens up many new places to explore and makes exploration much easier.
You might find it very frustrating driving in cities like Matsuyama or Kochi, so if you are staying a large city maybe don’t rent the car. Yet if you are exploring the countryside and you like to go off the beaten path, then the car is a must. Remember that even in small countryside towns here, parking is at a premium and you might find it frustrating finding parking in a place you don’t know well.

So it depends — where are you going in Shikoku?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, parking is going to be kind of a pain while we’re renting one in Shikoku. We’re gonna have to figure out overnight options for Kurashiki, Imabari, Kotohira, and Takamatsu at the least. I need to practice looking up parking lots, I’ve already forgotten the word(s) for “maximum fee” :negative:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you're staying at hotels the hotels usually have parking and so do temples and shrines and grocery stores

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Shikoku, especially Kochi, is going to be the hotness in 2023 when the new NHK drama about Tomitaro Makino starts this April.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

peanut posted:

If you're staying at hotels the hotels usually have parking and so do temples and shrines and grocery stores

The one in Takamatsu doesn’t 💀 but other attractions will, so I’m not worried about going to those places. Just a place to put our car overnight and while we explore on foot.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

mongolia posted:

Ideally I would like to spend 1.5 to 2 weeks there and visit as many places as I can. I figured staying the places I stay in will have free parking.

Are there months that I should avoid traveling there?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

mongolia posted:

A car opens up many new places to explore and makes exploration much easier.
You might find it very frustrating driving in cities like Matsuyama or Kochi, so if you are staying a large city maybe don’t rent the car. Yet if you are exploring the countryside and you like to go off the beaten path, then the car is a must. Remember that even in small countryside towns here, parking is at a premium and you might find it frustrating finding parking in a place you don’t know well.

How does parking work in general in small-town Japan? Like can I just generally assume that anywhere that has a publicly-listed EV charger is probably also in a public parking lot? Is there any clear indication like coloration or a common sign for whether parking is paid or not? Do people in Japan use the little parking disks like in Europe, or are the two modes of parking either (a) unlimited free or (b) paid?

Kind of interesting how different parking is there, now that I'm looking into it. On-street parking is like... super rare, even in the middle of nowhere. We're still thinking of renting a car for 3 or 4 days (group of 4 or 5 friends) to go around the hilly countryside somewhere - I forget the names, but people gave a couple good recommendations before when I asked. I never even thought to investigate parking before, as I've never been anywhere where countryside or small town parking is not brain-dead easy.

Or is it brain-dead easy? I am looking at some little villages like this one: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0832583,138.1059964,1217m/data=!3m1!1e3 and I don't see anywhere that looks like I could leave a car for 8 hours.

If I'm driving on a tiny mountain road like this one: https://www.google.com/maps/@35.0638714,138.1335616,3a,75y,83.27h,95.7t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7-sQNg_uLgBjpfTr_EUg_w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Is it generally OK to just park the car anywhere you can safely pull off the road that isn't blocking access to anything, like next to that overgrown pile of wood, or would that cause anarchy and rioting?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just two more days til I fly out, so now is a good time to ask: any interest in officially scheduling a Shikoku-Ehime goonmeet? I know we’ve got at least one or two takers. I’ll be in the area from about 3/28 to 4/7, and we’re flexible-ish on dates. I don’t mind either driving or public transport, tho it’d depend on how early on in my trip it’d be!

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

From out of the basement,
a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Hi Japan goons! Going to Japan the second half of September and would love some recommendations. We really love food and drink (we work in restaurants, by choice).

We will be in Tokyo, Kyoto, Nagoya, and then it's looking like Hiroshima, Kumamoto and Kagoshima. I've been before but it was many many years ago, and spent time in Tokyo, Kyoto and Hiroshima, so we can probably go for more of the deep cuts as far as tourist attractions go in those particular cities.

If there are any interesting dishes and/or drinks unique to a particular city please let me know. I read about a place in Tokyo that serves raw eggs over rice, and you can choose eggs from different breeds of hen and hens with different diets, like yuzu zest and whatnot, that can impart a flavor to the eggs. Sounds really cool and absolutely not something one will find in the US. I do especially love seafood, also love wagyu and want to eat some Kagoshima wagyu in Kagoshima. I also have a deep, deep love for uni.

We are spending 2-3 nights in Nagoya because we will be at the F1 race at Suzuka, so any general restaurant/bar/things-to-do-at-night in Nagoya would be much appreciated. It seems a bit harder to find recommendations there than some other places.

I love odd/esoteric museums, for example the hunting and nature museum in Paris, or the Abba museum in Stockholm (vasa museum there is also awesome). So if there is anything up that alley in any of the cities I mentioned, please recommend.

Looks like there's a sumo tournament going on in Tokyo when we will be there, so that seems like a lot of fun. Good shops for kitchenware/knives, and chips/candy/snack recommendations please!

We have a big interest and decent knowledge of sake. Do sake kuras do tours or anything of that sort? Are there any cool ones in or near the cities we will be in?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

If you're going to Kagoshima, definitely shochu. Shochu kura do tours as well.

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.

zmcnulty posted:

If you're going to Kagoshima, definitely shochu. Shochu kura do tours as well.
Oh hell yeah. Definitely going to do that, thank you.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Saladman posted:

How does parking work in general in small-town Japan?

Yes, you can park on the shoulder of a road if there's enough space.
Yes, people tend to leave their cars in free parking lots like at grocery stores, convenience stores, or city hall.
Anything that's a decent tourist attraction will have a free or paid lot nearby.

Small businesses (like hair salons) are likely to report abandoned cars so big lots are always a safer choice. Keep in mind that some lots might be chained closed at night.

In Tokyo you can park almost anywhere for a short time if you leave your hazard lights on. The left lane is unusable on many streets for this reason. (Only bus zones and the shoulder Immediately before a left turn are kept clear.)

Paid lots either have a flat rate (gate or trust system), or hourly rate (ticket or sensor system). Sensor systems are common for small lots. After parking, a block pops up to prevent the car from leaving. When you're ready to leave, you type the parking space number and pay cash (sometimes card) at the machine.

https://times-info.net/info/utilization.html

peanut fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 23, 2023

socketwrencher
Apr 10, 2012

Be still and know.

Gabriel Grub posted:

Well you will already have to be in Japan to do a convenience store purchase. I'm just saying you don't have to wait to get all the way to the stadium ticket window to secure tickets.

Right on, that's what we'll do then- Cheers!

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
Driving in japan is super easy. If you have driven in the bigger cities like Boston new York or LA then Tokyo is fine. Even in the bigger cities drivers don’t really honk and are super polite.

That being said, dealing with parking, rush hour traffic jams, directions, tolls, is another matter.

I deserve a dumbass medal, I drove from hakuba to Nagano and navigated around the Osaka loop to KIX returning the car in 8 hours for a 750km trip. Had fun collecting stamps and chatting with my cousin and saw some nice views.

I should have flown out of NRT (lol) instead of KIX

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I told your dumb rear end to take the train but noooo "we want to save $50"

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012
The train wasn’t much better though, 3 transfers and at a set time. And carrying ski equipment.

Take the 4 hour bus or train with 3 transfers to Nagoya. Take the 1 hour shink to shin Osaka, and then 1 more hour to KIX.

Least this time we managed to drop someone off in Nagano and go to the airport. I had to be in Kyoto this trip, thanks air miles

crackhaed
Jan 18, 2005

a man doth emerge,
sweat on his brow,
for Efron the urge.
Oh, I also really want to try chochin yakitori! It sounds super delicious and I’ve never been able to find it in the US. How common is it at yakitori spots? I assume it sells out because there’s only one per chicken?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

I found this outside Shimbashi today, and they had some what looked like to be… movie programs? Handed out at the cinema when you go see a movie? Cool poo poo.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Awesome. They are usually in the lobby free to take, advertising upcoming movies. I always think about starting a collection but always forget to grab some on the way out.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

movax posted:

I found this outside Shimbashi today, and they had some what looked like to be… movie programs? Handed out at the cinema when you go see a movie? Cool poo poo.

There’s flyers but also almost always some kinds of goods on sale in the lobby of theaters, things like clear file folders or small handkerchiefs or otherwise. It’s another front in the gentei war, and when I went to movies more often I didn’t buy anything but it was cool to see.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Found out the fun way that Yamato luggage delivery from Haneda has lousy cutoff timing - we got through customs and got in line for Yamato at around 8 PM, and they told us that the earliest they could deliver to Shinjuku was in two days.

Given the cost and the long-rear end queue, we should have just taken a taxi or the limo bus. Caveat emptor, but that was at least the crappiest of things so far. Goons are strongly advised to weaponize your jetlag and go to Toyosu Market if you're up at 4 AM anyway. A real spectacle, worth every moment. Plus amazing fresh sushi for breakfast. Humidity sucks but antiperspirant is great. It's not raining, it's Blade Runner weather.

Also, the Hyatt Regency is a darn nice hotel, directly connected to both major subways via underground passage and there's some kickass looking restaurants and lunch spots that I'm guessing cater to the Daiichi Seimei working crowd. One place looked kinda izakaya-ish and definitely had a team of co-workers coming off a (hopefully not compulsory) meal/booze fest. Lotsa laughter, good stuff.

MJP fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Mar 24, 2023

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

^^^ can't stop winning won't stop winning :peanut:

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer
I'm going to post my working itinerary so far for some advice. I'm planning our honeymoon which is a two week trip in October, it's both of our first times out of the US so we're nervous/a little clueless. I have a rough idea but the first week in Tokyo is where I want to flesh it out the most. Restaurant advice would be great but we're both not sushi fans. We also don't drink so no brewery tours. Someone mentioned curry recently and I realized I hadn't looked up anything about that and I definitely want to hit up at least one place for it when I'm there.

10/7 Arrive in Tokyo and spend day at Hotel/Explore immediate area
10/8 Gotoku-ji Temple
10/9 Imperial Palace tour (is this worth it?)
10/10 Sanrioworld and Dragonquest Bar/Restaurant
10/11 Pokemon Center/Nintendo Store and Pokemon Cafe if we can get tickets
10/12 No Plans yet, possibly Shibuya
10/13 Leave for Ikaho, Gunma to stay at Ryokan
10/14 Explore area, udon at nearby temple
10/15 Same
10/16 Head to Tokyo Disney Sea hotel, explore area around it
10/17 Tokyo Disney Sea
10/18 Osaka, check into hotel. Explore area. Maybe Capcom cafe/store
10/19 USJ
10/20 Back to Tokyo to stay at airport hotel
10/21 Fly back

Thanks! Any advice for first time international/Japan travelers would be great too. I already saw that I need to register our vaccination status, which I didn't think about before. I've been learning Japanese phrases for a bit just in case as well. I'm looking at getting JR rail passes since we're going to be taking a shinkansen to and from Osaka, although it doesn't look like it will work well for going to Ikaho.

Chekans 3 16 fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Mar 24, 2023

teddust
Feb 27, 2007

Is there something you are planning to see in Ikaho or are you just going for the Ryokan? I have literally never heard of the place before and I'm not sure what you are going to do for three days there. I think moving at least one of those days over to Osaka would let you see a lot more.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

teddust posted:

Is there something you are planning to see in Ikaho or are you just going for the Ryokan? I have literally never heard of the place before and I'm not sure what you are going to do for three days there. I think moving at least one of those days over to Osaka would let you see a lot more.

Mostly just enjoy the hot springs and relax. We have a room with a private bath and it looked like a nice place to take it easy for a bit since the rest of the trip is going to be packed.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Chekans 3 16 posted:

Mostly just enjoy the hot springs and relax. We have a room with a private bath and it looked like a nice place to take it easy for a bit since the rest of the trip is going to be packed.

You’ll be bored as gently caress after 1 day let alone 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mister Chief posted:

You’ll be bored as gently caress after 1 day let alone 3.

One night is fun, but unless there’s a whole town center of hot springs you can walk around (ala Kusatsu, from what I can tell, or Hakone) then that is way too much time stuck in a hotel room with nothing else to do.