Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Wasnt Vine basically tiktok ?

yes, but they killed Vine

like, I distinctly remember in an earlier incarnation of this thread, maybe it was 2018 or something? about how the biggest influencers on Vine decided to get together and submit a list of features and policies that they thought would improve Vine and keep it healthy and allow it to expand... only for the mother company to ignore all of it and cannibalize the platform and so all of them left and the service... withered... on... the... vine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Will Commerzbank be shotgun married to Deutsche Bank? :thunk:

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

every red cent you make in America should be given to China or Russia free ly and without charge....

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

Wasnt Vine basically tiktok ?

Yes but @jack killed it because it was too ethnic

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the discourse about China versus US economic warfare is pretty abstract because the only effect the average person is going to see is cheapish midrange electronics :shrug:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

shrike82 posted:

the discourse about China versus US economic warfare is pretty abstract because the only effect the average person is going to see is cheapish midrange electronics :shrug:

bread is too expensive, and they're getting pretty loving stingy with the circuses lately, so cheapish midrange electronics is a non-trivial win to whoever can manage it

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

https://twitter.com/mhp_guy/status/1638182536818958337

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/BusinessInsider/status/1639222077264887808?s=20

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Jesus Christ.

Now... how do I get in touch with people at the Pakistan Command and Staff College on Fiver...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Nice TikTok video you commie scumbag.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

"Accusing JPM of doing exactly what was in the contract if we didn't pay" is an interesting argument.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's essentially the same scam they've been running with Huawei: China beat Qualcomm / Samsung to 5G technology, so just raise "security concerns" to have the US and as many other allies as possible refuse to use their hardware, because competing on an even field is unacceptable when you're losing

and part of those sanctions against Huawei included preventing their phones from being able to access the Google Store and Google services. Huawei has since found ways around this, but the idea was that this would be such a big blow to convenience and usability that people would stop using Huawei phones because they'd be crippled

but you only get the ability to cripple a company in that way because Google represents such a gigantic part of the smartphone and internet ecosystem

and that takes us back to China: the "Great Firewall" of the PRC is often touted as some kind of domestic social control measure - prevent Chinese citizens from reaching out into the wider world and realize how rotten their country and their government is.

what it really is, is internet protectionism. By preventing the likes of Google and Facebook from entering and operating in the country, China has created the conditions by which their own, locally-developed internet firms can take hold, in much the same way that you'd prevent, say, Nike shoes from entering your country so that local shoe factories can continue to exist, because otherwise they'd be outcompeted by globalized Western firms with rock-bottom prices

and you want your own domestic internet firms to have room to grow, because otherwise Facebook takes over, and not only does that mean any profits from social media get expropriated by the likes of Zuckerberg (at the expense of your own citizens) but the way that these social networks are run is at the behest of Western interests, whether it means Facebook gets to influence your elections, or as we've said with Huawei, they abide by American decrees to lock your phones out of their ecosystem in an attempt to maintain monopoly conditions

or to draw yet another comparison: Joko Widodo of Indonesia recently said that he doesn't want his country's government to continue to work with Visa/Mastercard, because he understands that these are Western countries, and they could pull the plug at any time as a means of punishing or blackmailing any country or organization that leans too heavily on them. And we know this to be true because they tried to do it with Russia!

finally, this brings us all the way back to TikTok: the US is losing social media share to ByteDance, in the same way that WeChat or Weibo would have lost out to Western social media if China had simply let the latter run unregulated a decade-and-a-half ago, and they want to tug on that leash... but they're doing so in such a cack-handed manner that it's not going to work

Yup. I'm glad you mentioned Widodo actually as that's a good example of a non aligned nation watching and reacting accordingly. A funamental economic system weaponised, people jump ship accordingly. That bag of tricks can't be re-filled and closed again.

Much like the UK likes to LARP about still being a world power empire (and people are far too polite to ruin their fun) the USA is next in line to start dressing up in world leader cosplay long after their day in the sun passes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

shrike82 posted:

the china sanctions owned Wal Mart shoppers bigly.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

multipolarity could lead to wild poo poo too. If OPEC ever fucks with the US again and engineers a 70s style gas shortage, who knows what would happen domestically.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

In Training posted:

multipolarity could lead to wild poo poo too. If OPEC ever fucks with the US again and engineers a 70s style gas shortage, who knows what would happen domestically.

First thought is people might remember what trucks actually do, logistically. But not before they stop turning up with deliveries.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

DancingShade posted:

Yup. I'm glad you mentioned Widodo actually as that's a good example of a non aligned nation watching and reacting accordingly. A funamental economic system weaponised, people jump ship accordingly. That bag of tricks can't be re-filled and closed again.

Much like the UK likes to LARP about still being a world power empire (and people are far too polite to ruin their fun) the USA is next in line to start dressing up in world leader cosplay long after their day in the sun passes.

An iteration of this thread said this all would start happening! Very hard to get those chickens back in the coop.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/WSJ/status/1639243182100844548?s=20

quote:

Spooked by the S&P 500’s 38.49% decline in 2008, he sold his stocks and invested in a stable value fund that earned about 1% a year

:lol:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

mexi posted:

this is funny because I had an ex that was a chemistry major and she was a terrible cook. she cooked with the chemist mindset of throw enough in to get the job done and precipitate out the extra.

she made me banana bread once and it was so crappy it didn’t rise at all in the tin. luckily I have a bad allergy to bananas so I was able to give the “sorry babe I would love to but” excuse

This is insane to me because cooking is literally chemistry it's almost a 1:1, you have to be legendarily bad to know how all this works and gently caress it up

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Grapplejack posted:

This is insane to me because cooking is literally chemistry it's almost a 1:1, you have to be legendarily bad to know how all this works and gently caress it up

you have to know what tastes good, what things go well together, how to discern ingredient quality, where you can experiment a little and where you probably shouldn't, and the reasons for all the above

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mexi posted:

this is funny because I had an ex that was a chemistry major and she was a terrible cook. she cooked with the chemist mindset of throw enough in to get the job done and precipitate out the extra.

she made me banana bread once and it was so crappy it didn’t rise at all in the tin. luckily I have a bad allergy to bananas so I was able to give the “sorry babe I would love to but” excuse

obviously flunked at organic chem

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mawarannahr posted:

you have to know what tastes good, what things go well together, how to discern ingredient quality, where you can experiment a little and where you probably shouldn't, and the reasons for all the above

that's exactly chemistry though

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

It's also an art though and you can't do both so it's pretty much impossible to be good at cooking

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

there's so, so much more variance in home baking. consumer cooking appliances aren't always accurate or precise; ovens have cooler / warmer spots; baking vessels can be all kinds of materials and thicknesses; yeast is a broad category of organisms; different kinds of baking powders have different amounts of sodium bicarbonate; different brands of all purpose flower result in different textures; etc etc

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

STRONG ROBUST STABLE RESILIENT SAFE

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1639250192556871680

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Mustached Demon posted:

you aren't going to learn how to choose a good tomato or why like 90% of good food starts with chopping an onion from Walter White

it's culture not stem!!

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

https://twitter.com/zerohedge/status/1639247900759953408?s=20
:thunk:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Rename culinary to Chemical Arts, the true STEM/Humanities crossover

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Slightly down or negative up as we in the business like to say
https://twitter.com/Sino_Market/status/1639243286258012161?t=RBUPXaHxKzcjj330RToogQ&s=19

The Swiss lol

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

"Gordon Ramsay is a chemist" statements dreamed up by the truly deranged

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Yes, that's the part that matters.

https://twitter.com/DeItaone/status/1639252374454689792

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I love the way that stupid bastard licks his filthy snake lips like he’s on to something big

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Why is everyone walking out to say everything's fine all at the same time?

https://twitter.com/financialjuice/status/1639244041832509441

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

SKULL.GIF posted:

I have no clue! :haw:

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1639252522656468993?t=f4MSBwNa2W4Fv_wESjMWQg&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

SKULL.GIF posted:

Euro banks stocks and banking bonds are tanking

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

strong and stable forever

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Meanwhile

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1639195632710590466?s=20

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Mustached Demon posted:

Taste is not chemistry and if you're thinking of the taste zones you were taught about in school that poo poo was debunked a long time ago.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
THE BANKING SYSTEM IS STABLE. THE DOORS WERE LEFT OPEN AND THE HORSES FLED, BUT THE STABLE REMAINS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
It's not the weekend until there's another banking crisis