Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagpieConcept
Feb 6, 2022

Silly guys nesting beside the nest cup instead of in it :3: Cupid's molt is also very patchy lately!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

MagpieConcept posted:

Silly guys nesting beside the nest cup instead of in it :3: Cupid's molt is also very patchy lately!

For a split second I though one of them was wearing a hat

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Mitres for doves is a good cause

edit- I bet their little noises are so soothing

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

nielsm posted:

Hello, fellow homebuilt cage buddy.
I built a cage for my two cockatiels several years ago (I forget if I finished it 2016 or 2017), maybe you can still find pictures of it in this thread too.
Mine is roughly similar design, but larger, and stands directly on the floor. I also built it with two doors due to the size, and did not make a mesh floor. I also used cheap outdoor aviary mesh, galvanized rather than stainless, and that part is probably the weakest link. It's uneven and can't carry much weight from perches/other accessories at all.

The peg board you used for the back wall, what kind of material is that? Solid wood, plywood, particle board, or something else? I would be worried for the birds' health with particle board or plywood with holes everywhere for them to gnaw into. My own solution for mounting things on the back wall is blocks of solid wood I screw into the back wall, and then a hole with screw threads cut into it for fastening the perches/toys to the block.
I also made one of the side walls mostly solid, to offer some corner space, and mounted a large shelf on that solid wall too.

My cage is built from regular construction lumber (pine), not stained or painted. The birds have chipped some material off most edges they've been able to reach, but they're still far from breaking any parts. Even then, seeing your build makes me want to renovate mine, perhaps replace all the mesh with something safer and more solid.

The back wall is particle board, yeah. I'm not super worried about it as they don't seem to be interested in climbing or gnawing on the back wall. I can always change it out if it becomes a problem later anyway. I thought galvanized stuff was toxic? I avoided it because of that but also for the reasons you mentioned; I wanted something strong enough to hang perches and things from. The 16 gauge wires on mine can hold quite a bit of weight, and I don't worry about them cutting their feet or tongues on it. Plus it's easy to clean and I think the birds like how shiny it is. Link especially sits and chirps at the wires, bobbing his head.

The wood I used is regular construction pine, I used a non toxic stain and let it dry outside for a week before I gave it to the birds. The worst part was getting the mesh wires to fit into the groove I carved, everything was so wobbly it was a pain to get it to line up. If I had to do it again I think I'd use two pieces of wood to sandwich the ends and make the frame that way, probably get it done with way less swearing anyway.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
First off, that home brew cage is loving awesome.

Secondly, never underestimate a parrot’s ability to ignore something for literal years, then chew through it in an afternoon.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop

Captain Log posted:

Secondly, never underestimate a parrot’s ability to ignore something for literal years, then chew through it in an afternoon.

Pesto.txt

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Not sure if this is the right thread but we went to Atlantic City NJ just to have a day away from Philly and fed the seagulls fries, I'm sure they are not the healthiest but they are basically scavengers I guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xgSbxe1Z5c

E: I never knew seagulls had webbed feet! Learn something new every day!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

This is the correct thread for seagulls

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

Feeding them from indoors also increases the likelihood of 50 seagulls stuck in a room eating spicy sausages, which is always good.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

AC Seagulls natural diet is fries and ice cream.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Astroid posted:

Feeding them from indoors also increases the likelihood of 50 seagulls stuck in a room eating spicy sausages, which is always good.

:hmmyes:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Don't forget pizza. Last time I went there (before COVID) one tried to grab the slice out of my hand. I just ripped off the part it bit and gave it to him/her and I ate the rest :roflolmao:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI4PA_yCpvo

"... is the cockatoo the right bird for you? Almost certainly not. Birds in general are not easy pets. A cockatoo is a completely new way of living your life. A full-time job, 24/7, no weekends, no holidays, for possibly the rest of your life."

but goddamm they're cute and fascinating.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

They are amazing creatures ans very good companions, but only if you can meet their needs. I grew up with one and he's my BFF, but holy moly did we get lucky that our household setup met his needs. Looking forward to inheriting him in a decade or two :3:

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

My wife adopted a green cheek conure that was (is still a bit) extremely bitey, like commonly drawing blood, in retrospect shoulda taken some pics, he got me good a couple times.

But we've been working with him for like the past month and he's gotten a ton better, I was brave enough to let him climb on my shoulder...
https://imgur.com/a/RkzQit2
(he was gentle)

Biggest difference from the budgies we have is holy crap this dude is smart. Once he got comfortable here, he learns so quickly it's been surprising.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

GF recently had covid, but Ritz's sleep cage is in the bedroom where she was quarantining. I went in on day 2 with a mask on to get him after wake up time and he attacked my face, bit my eyebrow so hard that I heard it crunch, wouldn't let go, I literally had to pry his beak off of my face. Had blood running down my face by the time I got downstairs to get a paper towel, was the worst bite I've ever received. And now I have a nice scar!

Rakeris posted:

But we've been working with him for like the past month and he's gotten a ton better, I was brave enough to let him climb on my shoulder...
https://imgur.com/a/RkzQit2
(he was gentle)

Nom nom nom nom nom.. such a cutie.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Sera and Ozzy have been trying to have sex, but they're not very good at it, and keep trying to start on unsteady surfaces, and then loses his balance with Sera on his back and falls over and then every sits around yelling unhappily for five minutes, and I'm just, hey maybe shouldn't have tried to gently caress on my chromebook screen, geniuses.

They're nesty, so they've been given their plastic eggs and they are alternating incubation duties like good gay dads.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Can I just say that, either African greys, or maybe just Pookie, are among the most easy-going, magnanimous birds on the planet?

Our lovely little dog, Henry, has had persistent hip problems that finally evolved into surgery just over a week ago.
I have been very distracted with looking after him and his gammy leg. He's had a lot of medication and treatment.
Pookie has been the most insanely kind, gentle and understanding birb the whole time.
We're 3 weeks into managing Henry's recovery, and she's sitting on my knee and just gazing lovingly at this dog who has been monopolising attention that used to be hers.
He's snoring beside me, and she's fluffed up like a football and looking at him with such love :>
Pookie is the kindest little bird, she could so easily be so jealous, and she just...isn't.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

A happy lost bird story for today. This little guy, Sam, was lost from his home yesterday:

He slipped out the front door when his cage was opened to have his food put in. Word went out around the town that a little friend was lost, and within a few hours, we had:

Friendly little Sam was paying a visit to a near neighbour. :3:
It was especially important to get him home because his person is a little boy with some special needs, and his birds are his best friends.
I've met him (the boy) and one of his other friends - a very sweet cockatiel, so I was doubly glad to hear he was safe and well and apparently eating his dinner perfectly happily.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I love a happy ending.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Pookah posted:

A happy lost bird story for today. This little guy, Sam, was lost from his home yesterday:

He slipped out the front door when his cage was opened to have his food put in. Word went out around the town that a little friend was lost, and within a few hours, we had:

Friendly little Sam was paying a visit to a near neighbour. :3:
It was especially important to get him home because his person is a little boy with some special needs, and his birds are his best friends.
I've met him (the boy) and one of his other friends - a very sweet cockatiel, so I was doubly glad to hear he was safe and well and apparently eating his dinner perfectly happily.

Aw, Thanks for getting Sam back to his family :kimchi:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Chaosfeather posted:

Aw, Thanks for getting Sam back to his family :kimchi:

I wasn't the one who found him - I worded my post a bit weirdly, I meant that within hours of the post going up, we have that second picture of him relaxing in someone's garage. :3:

imHitchens
Oct 24, 2012

harlequin macaw

That’s wonderful Pookah!

And greys, yeah they are so chill and nice. It’s hard to feel deserving of how nice they are :3

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Her Borb'ness has been getting lessons in How To Not Be a Complete Spaz, which means I'm carrying her around while I do poo poo. She isn't very good at it, so I have to take a picture whenever she is actually calm.

I believe she chilled on this perch, because her treats and seed are in the background. After about five minutes, she braved the countertop to try and steal seed.

God she is huge.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I love how she looks like you peeled her right out of an old black and white film

audiophileai
Jun 25, 2015

a throwback to when Zenith was a lone budge, chilling before snoozing in the night

how do i make the picture smaller?

got some apple sticks on Easter for this little nut to chew on, after she decimated the stick seen in the bottom above the food dishes (which they both use to fly to before going to their dishes) and they both love to sit on them now

Zenith is broody (??), well at least has a brown-ish cere now, but theres still some blue under colour. Shes being fluffy a lot but seems very happy and content when she is getting puffed up, i know it can be that she is just happy, but it seems out of the normal for her, although they are both all the times doing something new... :birdthunk: hopefully she is ok

audiophileai fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Apr 14, 2023

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
We've got clothing moths, and a budgie. We're heat-treating our clothing to hopefully nuke any possible larvae hiding out, but want to use some sort of repellent or treatment as well. Problem is that birds are fragile little princes that die from almost everything. Mothballs, camphor, cedar oil, all of them are identified as Not Bird Safe. but this sort of knowledge seems to turn "unknown/probably not great" compatibilities into "INSTANTANEOUS BIRD DEATH" via online pet owner broken telephone, and people not knowing how toxicity works or that 'toxic' isn't necessarily a problem depending on the specifics, so idk how true that is for the more innocuous options like cedar wood stuffed away in a closed Rubbermaid bin. Any tips in this regard?

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive
in other news, our budgie wont stop honking. he loves to honk like a goose. literally half his noise is a goose honk now. we have no idea where it came from, it seems to be one of the noises he came up with himself, and he loves it. it sucks rear end and is so annoying. why cant he warble like the sparrows outside like he used to when he was little, that was pretty

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

this is nixie. he loves to post on his tiny posting station when im on the computer. its very cute. less cute is the constant honking and also the part where he jacks off like 5 times a day

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Call yourself a goon but dislike someone making annoying noises and jacking off?!

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I humbly request a video of budgie honk :)

Re chemical sensitivities for birds vs pest control - I would assume that using tea tree or eucalyptus oil as a moth deterrent would be relatively safe. I mean you'd have cotton balls with the oil added tucked away in your closet somewhere, not like bouncing around in places where your birds are likely to be exposed to them.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I can't stop laughing at the thought of a grown adult being terrorized and traumatized by a honking, irately horny budgie. I've got two girls, one is just a ball of pure rage (which I think is due to her loving me so drat much and going through puberty). The other is relatively harmless and calm, but she jacks off regularly. I don't know how to dissuade her from that behaviour, but she isn't hurting anyone and is the calmer of the two so maybe that's the secret to them not being murderous little assholes. The one who has stalker-levels of love for me will constantly walk around near my shoulder, whispering sweet nothings into my ear before biting me viciously. She'll also jump onto my hand and bop beaks with my nose, which is cute. But the urge to take a hefty bite out of me is always just under the surface waiting to boil up, it's really bad. My hand is covered in gouges from where she's taken a chunk from the top layer of my skin.

Thankfully, my two mainly wolf whistle, which I love. We'll just do it back and forth for ages. Then they'll break into their little sing song trilling, whistling and warbling. Sometimes they'll get into a goose honking cycle, but it's more of an angry squawk than a honk. I can usually change their radio station by wolf whistling at them and redirecting their vocal energy into that. It's crazy how much they mimic from me though, one of the other noises I make is a tiny squeak noise with my lips, and they'll do the same randomly. Super cute. I also swear they say "Naughty naughty girl" in that weird robotic budgie voice.

The Manic Masturbator

The Crazy Stalker in Cute Mode

https://streamable.com/0d5w9n

https://streamable.com/x9dvpu

I think they're both incredibly happy. They have full run of the apartment and fly about most of the day. The happy singing makes me feel like I'm doing something right.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 19, 2023

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHycwfA_PqU

Qubee posted:

I think they're both incredibly happy. They have full run of the apartment and fly about most of the day. The happy singing makes me feel like I'm doing something right.

:kimchi:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
oh my God he had little duck shoes

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Where I live, there are no seagulls in winter, but in summer they fly inland from the coast to raise chicks. They like flat rooftops.

The gulls have arrived, and Sera and Ozzy object to them.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Tux HATES the peaceful doves and crested pigeons that land on the front deck. He sees them out the window and starts shrieking and flying around in a frenzy. I have blinds over the windows so he's not in danger of smacking into the glass, but they really set him off. He also hates the postman's motorbike, and sometimes also the garbage truck.

Despite this he really enjoys sitting on the windowsill and looking through the window in the morning!

https://youtube.com/shorts/wq64h8O7r2U?feature=share

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bee posted:

Tux HATES the peaceful doves and crested pigeons that land on the front deck. He sees them out the window and starts shrieking and flying around in a frenzy. I have blinds over the windows so he's not in danger of smacking into the glass, but they really set him off. He also hates the postman's motorbike, and sometimes also the garbage truck.

Despite this he really enjoys sitting on the windowsill and looking through the window in the morning!

https://youtube.com/shorts/wq64h8O7r2U?feature=share

He is a king surveying his domain, and they are intruders! :toughguy:

bee
Dec 17, 2008

You might be onto something there. When we boarded him during a recent holiday, the woman he stayed with said that every time she'd go into the aviary to clean it, he'd fly onto her shoulder and supervise until she was done :catstare:

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXJuDUIxcs

My flying turds doing a thing they all think is just great and fun.

Actually the only one who is a real turd is Aumy who is of course the one setting the bad example.

That's a great cobweb I'm suddenly aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

bee posted:

You might be onto something there. When we boarded him during a recent holiday, the woman he stayed with said that every time she'd go into the aviary to clean it, he'd fly onto her shoulder and supervise until she was done :catstare:

A ruler should be aware of all goings-on in his demesne