Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

im dual queuing this with my fiance as lucio moira and we dominate whenever the other person gets the message and picks a brawly character. i assume thats kind of the broken comp because i havent seen much else that holds up. most dps are bad imo but mei and reaper seem ok. rein was top tier but then the other team picked rein and caught up and our rein immediately switched to rammatra bless him

I saw a cowboy pop off one game but hitscan do be like that sometimes

I think Pharah is insane too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Did they actually copy Destiny 1's Trials of Osiris (the sweaty try-hard mode) for the silly mascot limited time event?

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

Countblanc posted:

I saw a cowboy pop off one game but hitscan do be like that sometimes

I think Pharah is insane too

Pharmercy and hog seems like it would be pretty hard to counter. Hog for the independence and shield busting value. With good positioning by everyone, other tanks might be better. Maybe even sym or echo as a third.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SadisTech posted:

So many sad dickheads 3-stacking the new gimmick mode and acting like they're good for running broken comps and pubstomping. Gamers make me sick sometimes.

Yeah man how dare people win at games.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
The only game I won last night was one with a Widow who was getting kills but their team wasn't able to confirm nearly any of them lol.

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

dogstile posted:

Yeah man how dare people win at games.

It ain't the winning chump, it's the sneering at the 3 solos that their organised skilled stack beat as if it makes them meaningfully superior humans.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I have enough of the free overwatch funbux to unlock either Cultist Zenyatta or Banshee Moira

I'm also 50 compet time tokens away from getting my second golden weapon and both skin would benefit heavily with that

gently caress!!

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

verbal enema posted:

I have enough of the free overwatch funbux to unlock either Cultist Zenyatta or Banshee Moira

I'm also 50 compet time tokens away from getting my second golden weapon and both skin would benefit heavily with that

gently caress!!

There is nothing finer than golden balls.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

verbal enema posted:

gently caress!!

Zenthulu is one of my fave skins I have and I barely even play zen

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.
I have, no poo poo, completed the event challenge to get the skin without winning a single game. This mode suck and/or they never even contemplated balance or MMR for it. Just loving potatoes every game running Tracer into Hogs.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

SadisTech posted:

It ain't the winning chump, it's the sneering at the 3 solos that their organised skilled stack beat as if it makes them meaningfully superior humans.

it does make them superior humans, you can tell because they won

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MJBuddy posted:

I have, no poo poo, completed the event challenge to get the skin without winning a single game. This mode suck and/or they never even contemplated balance or MMR for it. Just loving potatoes every game running Tracer into Hogs.

That's sounds so horrible. I'm sorry.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SadisTech posted:

You know the counter to other people having friends is to play with yours right?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

what if i don't have friends. this is discrimination.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ur mum's a discrimination.

But seriously if you're soloing just turn off voice and text chat. Why do you keep touching the pub stove if it bothers you so much. Just stop doing it. This isn't hard.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

dogstile posted:

Ur mum's a discrimination.

But seriously if you're soloing just turn off voice and text chat. Why do you keep touching the pub stove if it bothers you so much. Just stop doing it. This isn't hard.

It apparently is

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

dogstile posted:

You know the counter to other people having friends is to play with yours right?

I'm 46, have a demanding full time job, a family, and a social circle that does not include Overwatch gamers. I'm also Australian which vastly limits player population and time zone. I have tried to play with people since Overwatch 1 launched, on and off. You know what people want in people they play with regularly? Consistent availability. Higher skill level doesn't hurt either, which means practice time, which I don't have. Plat-ish is the realistic upper bound for me.

I know from your responses in the past that you aren't in a position where you can grasp that these things are issues. I think they're valid for venting about, myself - many players are egotistical shits, and many of the matchmaking decisions that Blizzard implement feel pretty bad for mid skill solo players. And it's not like I can bitch to random people in the office about a video game - obviously I'm bringing the conversation to somewhere there is discussion about the video game.

You aren't obliged to respond every time to defend Blizzard or point out why I'm wrong. Per your advice above, don't read my pretty infrequent posts.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

for the vast majority of the playerbase, according to blizz's past dev blogs grouping together doesn't result in a greater chance of winning games versus non-grouped players

there is an exception if you're at the very top of the ladder which is why there are much stricter grouping limits to cater much more to solo players

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.
Thank you for repeating what is already common knowledge as if it's relevant to the issue I complained about, which is specifically the instance where organised high skill groups did receive a very significant advantage in a small-team elimination mode due to matchmaking implementation (or lack thereof) and then spent a bunch of calculated effort in disparaging people without that advantage to make themselves feel good.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

any type of online matchmaking system is going to have sore losers (and more rarely sore winners). it's just human psychology and you have to accept it.

as far as breaking a gimmick mode -- well warowl has a maxim that given the opportunity players will optimize the fun out of any game

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

comedyblissoption posted:

any type of online matchmaking system is going to have sore losers (and more rarely sore winners). it's just human psychology and you have to accept it.

as far as breaking a gimmick mode -- well warowl has a maxim that given the opportunity players will optimize the fun out of any game

I feel like that quote is effectively meaningless now if we've reached the point where we're including "playing with your friends" as "optimizing the fun out"

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

comedyblissoption's view is that the matchmaker can't fail, it can only be failed.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

i actually liked the matchmaker in ow1 better where it had a tighter sr range so that the game was more about playing well at your rank rather than trying to exploit or not get exploited by huge rank mismatches

plat showing up in gm games as a matter of course just feels bad for both sides

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 24, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
any word on character/season news with the comp stuff today?

Proven
Aug 8, 2007

Lurker
Based on how they’ve done it for previous seasons, nothing about the new season will come out until at least the last week of the current season. Expect news next Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.

Edit: Knowing me, my memory is off, but it’s even less likely for news this week/weekend between OWL returning while everyone behind the scenes is also trying to not promote it, along with Diablo 4 open beta.

Proven fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 24, 2023

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Proven posted:

Based on how they’ve done it for previous seasons, nothing about the new season will come out until at least the last week of the current season. Expect news next Monday or Tuesday at the earliest.

Hm, I don't think that's right - Kiriko's announcement was September 15th and her season was October 4th. And Ram was even more pronounced, with his trailer releasing on November 6th and his patch was December 6th, a whole month early.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

they don't have another hero ready

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SadisTech posted:

I'm 46, have a demanding full time job, a family, and a social circle that does not include Overwatch gamers. I'm also Australian which vastly limits player population and time zone. I have tried to play with people since Overwatch 1 launched, on and off. You know what people want in people they play with regularly? Consistent availability. Higher skill level doesn't hurt either, which means practice time, which I don't have. Plat-ish is the realistic upper bound for me.

I know from your responses in the past that you aren't in a position where you can grasp that these things are issues. I think they're valid for venting about, myself - many players are egotistical shits, and many of the matchmaking decisions that Blizzard implement feel pretty bad for mid skill solo players. And it's not like I can bitch to random people in the office about a video game - obviously I'm bringing the conversation to somewhere there is discussion about the video game.

You aren't obliged to respond every time to defend Blizzard or point out why I'm wrong. Per your advice above, don't read my pretty infrequent posts.

Literally none of this explains why you repeatedly engage with a community that makes you unhappy enough to post about it.

Like seriously, just turn it off. You'll have a better time, i promise you. This isn't even a me thing, just stop touching the :pubstove:

I'm not even that good anymore, I literally hang out in upper diamond. I just turn off chat whenever some uppity barely masters fuckwit who thinks he's definitely gonna go pro pipes up.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

comedyblissoption posted:

according to blizz's past dev blogs grouping together doesn't result in a greater chance of winning games versus non-grouped players
I'm not sure I'd give dev blogs too much credit given... ya know, everything over the past two years.

Hashy posted:

they don't have another hero ready
They probably do. This weekend is PAX and other dev conventions, and there were a few leaks of a not-Ram hero back before Ramjam dropped.

It would be interesting if they didn't, though.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I just hope the new hero isn't headshot based, they haven't given much love to the "can't aim for poo poo" crowd lately.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

I just hope the new hero isn't headshot based, they haven't given much love to the "can't aim for poo poo" crowd lately.

Yeah, for real. I want more heroes based around being good at something other than clicking heads.

I wouldn't hold my breath though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Ram was pretty good on that front, tbh

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dogstile posted:

Ram was pretty good on that front, tbh

Yeah, I'm enjoying Ram quite a bit.
You still need to be good at clicking heads to be able to do anything worthwhile in Omnic Form though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
well we know the new healer has a commonly requested mechanic and a new way of interacting with their team. so its safe to assume they heal their team by shooting them in the rear end

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I don't even do that tbh. I just kinda sweep the beam over whatever platform the enemy dps is trying to use so they don't have any space and then jam it into the body of whatever idiot stands in front of me if we're close and i don't have the form up. Typically what i use the slow for too, because then i actually can aim for the head.

Headshots are hard and guaranteed DPS + good positioning is usually enough otherwise. Dude is fun tho, glad they nerfed him and now he just kinda seems like an option rather than an unfun annoyance.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Jack Trades posted:

Yeah, I'm enjoying Ram quite a bit.
You still need to be good at clicking heads to be able to do anything worthwhile in Omnic Form though.

Uhhh, what? His projectiles are way too slow for that. Really you need to be good at leading your opponents' movement and focusing on center mass, depending on the range. No falloff range heavily encourages/allows this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Pvt. Parts posted:

Uhhh, what? His projectiles are way too slow for that. Really you need to be good at leading your opponents' movement and focusing on center mass, depending on the range. No falloff range heavily encourages/allows this.

If you focus center mass then it does no damage at all.

headcase
Sep 28, 2001

I just love comp MH. I have been playing nothing else, except for 1 night of pachimari.

Fast queues, chill games, seems to attract the kind of people i like to play with, leavers are penalized. Try a little hard. Play all the heros.

It is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

If you focus center mass then it does no damage at all.

omnic form primary fire isn't for the damage, it's for farming your ult which is Very Good