Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

Arrath posted:

Vintage Story fits this bill, if you like a melding of minecraft and survival games. It has a seasonal weather cycle, crops have growing seasons and temperature ranges that they tolerate, food spoilage, and different methods of preservation.

Agreed on Vintage Story. It does have enemies that can "siege" your base occasionally, but it is still a very enjoyable and challenging game with enemies on passive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
It also has a slew of mods that can make survival even more long term. Thinking of that one that makes crops grow times and yields realistic.

The only thing I got negative to say about VS is that the main hostile enemy sucks butts and the game is much better either turning them off or setting them to appear only underground.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.
The newest update seems pretty cool too, they added some story bits, a hang glider thing for getting around, and some other bits and bobs.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oh, that's nice to know! I have Vintage Story and tried playing a few times but always bounced off it, probably because I didn't spend enough time trawling wikis and stuff and just "jumped in", which doesn't seem to be the best thing for this kind of game :v: I sometimes fail to realize that I've been playing URW for almost 20 years now (started with version 2.80 in 2005 iirc :eyepop: ) so that game is almost second nature to me by now, but that doesn't apply to all same-genre games :shobon:

so what are those mods and any other tips about how not to get frustrated right off the bat in Vintage Story?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's very much a game you have to play with the wiki open in the background, crafting is... not intuitive to start, but once you get the hang of it it's pretty good. IMO at this point start it plain and then go to the mod DB and download whatever ones appeal to you, everyone has something they'd like changed from the vanilla gameplay but they're almost always different from person to person, and the only thing that just objectively sucks (the drifters/temporal rifts) don't have any mods that really improve them you just change the world settings to turn the stupid loving storms off.

They're a few days/weeks from releasing a big update that changes worldgen and will break compatibility with previous stable versions, so just start a session to learn the ropes and don't get too attached to it.

The Green Hell devs seem to be adding more and more features to make it more viable as a longterm homesteading type game too, IMO it's definitely not there yet but there's a lot of elaborate building and farming stuff they keep adding to despite it being sorta unnecessary to getting around the game as it stands

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Mar 24, 2023

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Trivia posted:

As it stands now the survival mode uses the same map as story mode, and there are a lot of set pieces throughout, circumventing the need to actually build.
A lot of those set pieces are missing their conveniences in survival mode. More importantly, survival mode is a much bigger map than story mode. It includes the story mode map, but also the DLC maps stitched into it.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

TorakFade posted:

so what are those mods and any other tips about how not to get frustrated right off the bat in Vintage Story?

The farming mod is https://www.vintagestory.at/forums/topic/5726-fields-of-gold/ if you wanna take a look to see if it's to your taste, otherwise you can find mods here: https://mods.vintagestory.at/

Other big recommendations from me are: https://mods.vintagestory.at/carryon and https://mods.vintagestory.at/expandedfoods

If you decide to turn off drifters/temporal storms, getting a mod that adds an alternative way to get temporal gears is a good idea, since their main source is from killing drifters and you need them to set your spawnpoint. Can't remember the one I used atm tho, or if it's up-to-date, sorry.

Also play with block gravity+sideways instability (it's a world setting), it makes the game harder (dirt walls fall over, terraforming takes more effort, etc), but sudden scree avalanches and dirt cave-ins make it worth it imo.

Jawnycat fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Mar 24, 2023

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

TorakFade posted:

I sometimes wish there were more games concerned with long term survival, like UnReal World, and not just survival as in "don't get killed by $enemy_of_choice or natural hazards to eventually escape back to civilization"

Like, I play RimWorld and never even think of leaving the planet, just building and living my little slice of life in a harsh world

Clanfolk is a base management game (same general genre as Rimworld) where the main obstacle is gathering and storing enough food and water to survive winter. And then keeping your food from spoiling the following summer.

TorakFade posted:

Oh, that's nice to know! I have Vintage Story and tried playing a few times but always bounced off it, probably because I didn't spend enough time trawling wikis and stuff and just "jumped in", which doesn't seem to be the best thing for this kind of game :v: I sometimes fail to realize that I've been playing URW for almost 20 years now (started with version 2.80 in 2005 iirc :eyepop: ) so that game is almost second nature to me by now, but that doesn't apply to all same-genre games :shobon:

The first thing I do in VS is make a knife and then gather almost two stacks of cattail reeds to make basic beginner bags. That more than doubles your inventory space.

After that, you want to get enough claymaking done to make a crockpot and bowl. Crockpot meals more or less double the nutrition you get from food and you have to have a bowl to eat out of the crockpot.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Counterpoint: instability and block collapse sucks and is only obnoxious, imo.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

oh come on what's a cave without cave-ins

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Prospector Info https://mods.vintagestory.at/show/mod/1235 is a pretty necessary mod, it saves your prospecting finds on your map. Other things to change are tweaks to gameplay or can be done in game with just a little more effort, but how they handle the information you get out of prospecting sucks.

I just really like bees and I love this mod about making beekeeping more in-depth https://mods.vintagestory.at/fromgoldencombs :3:

I second turning off temporal rifts. The surface is scary enough as it is with bears and wolves; drifters moaning outside your poorly constructed door every night is tiresome.

Otherwise, after doing the, "make a knife(s), get reeds to make bags and baskets, then get clay to work and make a cooking pot," you can take your time learning things. You have access at that point to what you need to make food to last the winter.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Arrath posted:

Vintage Story fits this bill, if you like a melding of minecraft and survival games. It has a seasonal weather cycle, crops have growing seasons and temperature ranges that they tolerate, food spoilage, and different methods of preservation.

This is all very true, but I also want to temper it a little. Unless you really push the envelope and survive in more hostile biomes/climates, the baseline "keep yourself fed" survival does end up getting fairly rote rather quickly. I love the game but you absolutely need to have the push to want to build pretty minecraft things, I think, to keep it interesting beyond about a year in-game. (Unless you really like prospecting for ore.)

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Another thing you might want to fiddle with assuming you're playing with realistic climate distribution, but still want to be able to experience other climates besides the one you started in, is to crank down the pole-equator distance from the absolutely ludicrous default 100K blocks to at most 25K if not lower, so that heading to the tropics from a temperate region will take a few days in game, rather than several weeks.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Is there a way to tweak the translocator settings so they always send you way north or south? Seems like that'd be the way to do it

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
Oh also, the game has it's own semi-active thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012729
Forgot to link that earlier.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
PC port of Last of Us just released today and it's getting pretty destroyed in the comments (sitting at Mostly Negative, 6k neg / 2k pos) for bad optimization. Dunno if Last of Us is considered more action-adventure than Survival but I was really looking forward to trying the PC port because I've never played it (don't have a console).

Apparently some people ran into some sort of shader buffer process that takes 2.5 hours, which takes them beyond the Steam refund period for a game, and then it was still unplayable. Yeesh. Going to wait for patches / bug fixes I guess but its a real bummer because I just started the show a few days ago so the timing was right.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

No survival in that game, it's more like resident evil in play style.

One of the best games ever though and all these windows PS ports get slammed at launch for bugs then fixed pretty quick.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

GTO posted:

No survival in that game, it's more like resident evil in play style.

One of the best games ever though and all these windows PS ports get slammed at launch for bugs then fixed pretty quick.

Counterpoint: the studio responsible for porting the game, Iron Galaxy, doesn't have a stellar track record. Uncharted on PC is still suffering from stuttering mouse controls to this day. On the other hand, that one is sitting at 9/10 on steam, so who knows.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Not a fan of the new content in The Long Dark. I just want more survival mechanisms and things to do relating to long term survival, not more narrative gubbins. I appreciate that many players probably love what they're doing but I've always been a bit disappointed by what this game could have been.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh sweet, they put out the next episode? I don’t actually care about the free form gameplay.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Yeah I'm in love with the Long Dark purely for it's narrative campaign, but I hope they can satisfy the sandbox players too.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Tiny Timbs posted:

Oh sweet, they put out the next episode? I don’t actually care about the free form gameplay.

Nope not quite the new episode, it's the latest release of the DLC content. It's been split up into separate releases, this release includes a mini narrative adventure thing and a few items.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Yeah their response to players only playing sandbox and not the story was to release DLC that puts story into the sandbox.

I don't know about others, but I'd love more innawoods style content, so it's frustrating that all the new maps and mechanics are based on abandoned infrastructure.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Arven posted:

Yeah their response to players only playing sandbox and not the story was to release DLC that puts story into the sandbox.

I'm starting to suspect that they have no idea how to improve the sandbox beyond what it is so they always end up adding one item and then a buch of story bits instead.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That’s pretty weird and also most definitely not what the sandbox players are looking for afaict.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Starting up My Summer Car again after falling off of it before getting the Satsuma completed.

Are there any important car parts hiding in the world or can I get this thing limping along with what I have?

Edit: this was meant for the other simulator thread but I guess it's kinda survival based too. Lol

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

lordfrikk posted:

I'm starting to suspect that they have no idea how to improve the sandbox beyond what it is so they always end up adding one item and then a buch of story bits instead.
Yeah every update so far seems to be "we added a new equipment item you can only get at the most remote location in the game, and it can't be repaired" or something. I was hoping the "beachcombing update" they mentioned would be a change of mechanics but instead they come out saying "yeah this works in the exact same janky, stupid way it always has, but sometimes there's new items after a storm".

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

swordfish duelist posted:

Are there any important car parts hiding in the world or can I get this thing limping along with what I have?

You will need to buy an alternator belt and the various fluids at the store, other than that you have everything to make the car 'work'. And coolant fluid can be replaced with piss, if you really want to pinch pennies.

Of course what you start with isn't enough to get your car certified, your tires are too poo poo for that, so if you want a license plate you'll need to either buy new ones or find the set of spares that are out there somewhere in the world.

I may be a touch out-of-date though, I have not played in -ages- and I know there have been a few changes since then.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jawnycat posted:

You will need to buy an alternator belt and the various fluids at the store, other than that you have everything to make the car 'work'. And coolant fluid can be replaced with piss, if you really want to pinch pennies.

Of course what you start with isn't enough to get your car certified, your tires are too poo poo for that, so if you want a license plate you'll need to either buy new ones or find the set of spares that are out there somewhere in the world.

I may be a touch out-of-date though, I have not played in -ages- and I know there have been a few changes since then.

You don't actually even start with tires anymore, but you can get a set out of the abandoned house (do it at night to avoid the BEES)

I think the battery you start with is dead, too.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Survival: Fountain of Youth is out today.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1967630/Survival_Fountain_of_Youth/

I had a good time with the demo, but I have no idea how unfinished this EA version is, I think I'm gonna read some reviews (although I will probably buy it still).

I've generally had my mind set on doing a new Vintage Story campaign once 1.18 releases which shouldn't be far off now either. (in the last release candidate, the stable release was slated for "Stable release even Sooner™")

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 19, 2023

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TeaJay posted:

I've generally had my mind set on doing a new Vintage Story campaign once 1.18 releases which shouldn't be far off now either. (in the last release candidate, the stable release was slated for "Stable release even Sooner™")

It just released. :v:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I like building bases, I like first-person melee combat less, so what games would you guys recommend for meaningful and interesting base building and less waving sticks at monsters.

Also how scary, and how combat intensive are, the Forest/Sons of the Forest and Green Hell?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

You can play Sons of the Forest on Peaceful mode without the monsters, but I wouldn't say the base building is very impressive as of yet. I don't think the monsters are very scary anyway, just annoying mostly.

I have not played Green Hell so no idea there.

As far as building bases go, my favourites are Valheim and Vintage Story which I'm playing right now. Valheim unfortunately still gets raids occasionally (although not 3D combat) but there's a feature coming which allows you to turn them off, if I understood correctly. Vintage Story has very satisfying house building if you like that Minecrafty style, but a bit more survival/realism and also there you can do all kinds of things on world generation, such as make all the creatures passive (they won't attack unless provoked).

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

zoux posted:

I like building bases, I like first-person melee combat less, so what games would you guys recommend for meaningful and interesting base building and less waving sticks at monsters.

Also how scary, and how combat intensive are, the Forest/Sons of the Forest and Green Hell?

I quite like Grounded's base building but it depends on your appreciation for the Honey, I Shrunk The Kids aesthetic and/or fear of spiders. You can turn the bugs peaceful or off entirely though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

TeaJay posted:

You can play Sons of the Forest on Peaceful mode without the monsters, but I wouldn't say the base building is very impressive as of yet. I don't think the monsters are very scary anyway, just annoying mostly.

I have not played Green Hell so no idea there.

As far as building bases go, my favourites are Valheim and Vintage Story which I'm playing right now. Valheim unfortunately still gets raids occasionally (although not 3D combat) but there's a feature coming which allows you to turn them off, if I understood correctly. Vintage Story has very satisfying house building if you like that Minecrafty style, but a bit more survival/realism and also there you can do all kinds of things on world generation, such as make all the creatures passive (they won't attack unless provoked).

Is Valheim enjoyable solo?

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Winklebottom posted:

I quite like Grounded's base building but it depends on your appreciation for the Honey, I Shrunk The Kids aesthetic and/or fear of spiders. You can turn the bugs peaceful or off entirely though.
I love Grounded but I definitely would not recommend it for someone who's not interested in combat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I love Grounded but I definitely would not recommend it for someone who's not interested in combat.

I've played about 20 hours of it and the combat isn't the problem, it just doesn't feel like like the base building matters that much. I've only finished the hedge lab but as I was setting up a new base on the lilypads I'm thinking, is there any point to this, I could just put all my crafting stations straight on the ground

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

Is Valheim enjoyable solo?

It certainly can be. Personally I found it a bit tedious to gather the quantities of supplies needed to build a very big base all on my own but YMMV.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vib Rib posted:

Yeah, fair enough. If you have gamepass it's worth turning off combat and just putz around the tiny world for a bit, though

zoux posted:

I've played about 20 hours of it and the combat isn't the problem, it just doesn't feel like like the base building matters that much. I've only finished the hedge lab but as I was setting up a new base on the lilypads I'm thinking, is there any point to this, I could just put all my crafting stations straight on the ground

oh yeah, that's true. I just like building for building's sake :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Valheim is great solo, I'd recommend disabling the option that limits what you can teleport with. When it got to the point where we had to harvest carts full away from the main base it became really tedious for us.