Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I'd be fine with just the pre-effects footage rescanned, so we'd have like René Auberjonois crawling around the floor like a worm in a green lycra suit*

*I am aware they probably didn't actually do that, just had the actors respond to empty air

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

René Auberjonois did all his own stunts

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Rene, we didn't get that take. Can you become a bird again?"

*long nasal exhale* "There's a sort of... refractory period."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joUPm_B7X_A

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Feldegast42 posted:

René Auberjonois did all his own stunts

Imagining Odo doing the dirtbike train jump stunt from Super Cop

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

So is Picard like, ACTUALLY good in season 3 now, or is everyone still gaga over the gang getting back together

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
It’s better than the first two seasons but I also wouldn’t call it good. For example, the most recent episode was just mind bogglingly stupid.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Feldegast42 posted:

So is Picard like, ACTUALLY good in season 3 now, or is everyone still gaga over the gang getting back together

It's fine. It's neither good enough to fully justify the rather glowing pre-release hype cycle nor bad enough to be worth the kind of extreme hatewatchy reactions in the other thread. I like it more than either previous season or just about anything on Disco honestly but those bars are pretty low and/or subterranean depending on what kinda mood I wake up in these days

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Feldegast42 posted:

It’s 100% the latter, aside from a couple good new characters and some new Bill Krause ship designs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

On the upside, they canonised the NX-01 refit.

Also, they showed a Connie and it looked like this

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's watchable, and that's so far ahead of what it was that if you squint it looks good.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Feldegast42 posted:

It's good like, you think you have full blown AIDS but it's good you only are HIV positive.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Feldegast42 posted:

LividLiquid posted:

It's watchable, and that's so far ahead of what it was that if you squint it looks good.

I like to call it the "world's fastest turtle" principle in how much better it is compared to the first two seasons. It is indeed watchable now, maybe even enjoyable in comparison to the first two, but it is by no means "good", at least not in the same sense that Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds and Prodigy are good.

It's moved Picard from last place to 4th place out of the five modern currently extant Trek shows, but when it's just barely beating Discovery that's not a major cheevo...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

It's funny you say that, just saw someone post that it was "so loving good" and it was purely because seeing the old characters again. Doesn't matter that they're butchering the characters, just that they are present.

Discovery handled Spock and Spock's Sister better than Picard S3 is handling any existing character.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Super Deuce posted:

It's good like, you think you have full blown AIDS but it's good you only are HIV positive.

Yikes, dude :yikes:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MikeJF posted:

On the upside, they canonised the NX-01 refit.

Also, they showed a Connie and it looked like this

eyyyyyyyyyy

Is that a museum like it looks like? That's some Golden Age Sci Fi Architecture right there.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Nessus posted:

eyyyyyyyyyy

Is that a museum like it looks like? That's some Golden Age Sci Fi Architecture right there.

Yep, this past episode had them visit a Fleet Museum built from the core of the old Earth Spacedock

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Nessus posted:

eyyyyyyyyyy

Yup, they also showed Voyager (and even had the theme incorporated into the score when it was shown). I haven't looked closely yet, but there were a bunch of background screens with what I am sure are even more Easter eggs.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

swickles posted:

Yup, they also showed Voyager (and even had the theme incorporated into the score when it was shown). I haven't looked closely yet, but there were a bunch of background screens with what I am sure are even more Easter eggs.

Yeah, at the Fleet Museum we see the Enterprise-A, the Defiant, Voyager, the "Season 5" NX-01 refit, the HMS Bounty, Kronos One, the USS New Jersey representing the Constitution-class, the Excelsior, the Stargazer, an Akira-class, a Saber-class, a Nebula-class, and a Romulan Bird of Prey.

It wouldn't surprise me if they said the Saber was the USS da Vinci from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers books or something though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nessus posted:

eyyyyyyyyyy

Yeah, it's the fleet museum at Athan Prime. They say it's the old Earth Spacedock: I guess they towed it at warp. I was wondering about that, the updated Earth Spacedock we saw in ep 1 didn't look like it was just a refit of the old.

It's a big excuse to go overboard on the nostalgia. Still, I guess it finally clarifies what happened to the 1701-A after retirement.

Supposedly the saucer of the D is at the museum, maybe they just permanently pressurized the dock and it's in there.

Gotta wonder how the Federation ended up with Kronos One.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Mar 24, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, it's the fleet museum at Athon Prime. They say it's the old Earth Spacedock: I guess they towed it at warp. I was wondering about that, the updated Earth Spacedock we saw in ep 1 didn't look like it was just a refit of the old.

It's a big excuse to go overboard on the nostalgia. Still, I guess it finally clarifies what happened to the 1701-A.

According to Memory Alpha the new ESD is referred to as "Probert Station".

I guess now the only unaccounted for Enterprises are the fates of the Enterprise-B and the Enterprise-E then.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, at the Fleet Museum we see the Enterprise-A, the Defiant, Voyager, the "Season 5" NX-01 refit, the HMS Bounty, Kronos One, the USS New Jersey representing the Constitution-class, the Excelsior, the Stargazer, an Akira-class, a Saber-class, a Nebula-class, and a Romulan Bird of Prey.

It wouldn't surprise me if they said the Saber was the USS da Vinci from the Starfleet Corps of Engineers books or something though.

According to the LCARS readout the Pioneer is there too

But I didn't see it, it might've been behind the station.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

According to Memory Alpha the new ESD is referred to as "Probert Station".

This is hilarious because the last I heard from him, Andy Probert detests current-era Trek.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I didn't realize until midway through "Dark Page" that it was the second episode about dreams in a row and then Data lampshaded it and i was like OH RIGHT WE JUST DID THIS LAST WEEK WITH THE ANDROID LOL

Not my favourite Lwaxana episode but still very good. The character was often annoying but Majel crushed it as a role.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

MikeJF posted:

According to the LCARS readout the Pioneer is there too

But I didn't see it, it might've been behind the station.

what a goofy ship

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

what a goofy ship

"we've got an engineering hull just don't ask what we actually use it for"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

what a goofy ship

It's the cute little ship you start with as a TOS era captain on STO puttering around doing chores in, it being a goofy lil thing suits its place. The other TOS era ships look much less silly for the most part. Although still pretty silly because it's TOS.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Mar 24, 2023

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oops! All Nacelles

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Timby posted:

This is hilarious because the last I heard from him, Andy Probert detests current-era Trek.

And has gone full Trumpist.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry Salami posted:

And has gone full Trumpist.

Yeah this makes me sad :smith:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Arivia posted:

I didn't realize until midway through "Dark Page" that it was the second episode about dreams in a row and then Data lampshaded it and i was like OH RIGHT WE JUST DID THIS LAST WEEK WITH THE ANDROID LOL

Not my favourite Lwaxana episode but still very good. The character was often annoying but Majel crushed it as a role.

I wonder if there will ever be a point people are rewatching nuTrek and actually discuss individual episodes by the title. I can think of maybe a 3-4 actual nu Trek episodes created in the fashion of a Star Trek episode, but even those are so tied up in overarching season plots it makes them hard to stand on their own.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Khanstant posted:

I wonder if there will ever be a point people are rewatching nuTrek and actually discuss individual episodes by the title. I can think of maybe a 3-4 actual nu Trek episodes created in the fashion of a Star Trek episode, but even those are so tied up in overarching season plots it makes them hard to stand on their own.

You can do that with SNW and the animated shows now. Heck, it's really refreshing being able to just say "Spock Amok" and everyone is on the same page, as opposed to saying "Scavengers" from Disco and drawing a huge loving blank on what happened or even which season that was.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Khanstant posted:

If you're discounting Lower Decks, Strange New Worlds and (probably, I'm not watching it) Prodigy sure. But most of the Star Trek on the air now follows traditional episodic formats and not faux-prestige serial plotting

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
They should go back to showing the titles on screen with big quotation marks around them. Thanks in advance

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

skasion posted:

They should go back to showing the titles on screen with big quotation marks around them. Thanks in advance

Lower Decks does this.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Khanstant posted:

I think the pendulum swung too far in the serialization direction, which is why it's good that SNW and a few others are returning to a more episodic format.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

"Lower Decks does this."

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

skasion posted:

Also extremely pretentious literary titles

"Whomst Dies for A Day in Eden"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Babylon 5, what I've seen of it so far, strikes a pretty good balance between one-off episodes and longer arcs that may not pay off for a season or more. You can have both and still have a great series, but in some ways I think the power behind Star Trek took some of the wrong lessons from DS9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Babylon 5, what I've seen of it so far, strikes a pretty good balance between one-off episodes and longer arcs that may not pay off for a season or more. You can have both and still have a great series, but in some ways I think the power behind Star Trek took some of the wrong lessons from DS9.

I don't think they took the wrong lessons from DS9. Almost everything in television has curved towards prestige television season-long arcs in the decades since. That's how Discovery originally got greenlit, as an update of Star Trek to the new prestige format. What's took time is learning how giving space and doing other stuff is really important for "Wagon Train to the Stars" when possible, and I don't think it's a coincidence that the shows that aren't weighed down in that baggage are the ones still ongoing.