Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Keeping Clan names separate is a good way to easily spot the Clanaboo fanbase.

It helps that the names are inherently dumber. Vulture or Mad Dog? Masakari or Warhawk? Daishi or Dire Wolf? Cauldron-Born or Ebon Jaguar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

GD_American posted:

Vulture or Mad Dog?

Hagetaka

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

yeah weird how I used that handle for like 20 years online and nobody ever got it, even in nerd spaces

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I like a lot of the Clan mechs but the whole Clan society is so deeply silly that I can't ever take them seriously.

Still, smashing robbits together is fun as hell.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zeroisanumber posted:

smashing robbits together is fun as hell.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Nobody should take clanners seriously. The idiots think made up periphery neobarb nonsense like batchall and dezgra and quiaff are good English while contractions are an aberration to be stamped out.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Reminder that batchall is just battle and challenge smashed together god the Clans are so loving stupid

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Reminder that batchall is just battle and challenge smashed together god the Clans are so loving stupid

Oh my god i've been pronouncing it "batch-all" for over twenty years

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

dezgra balls lmao

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

AtillatheBum posted:

I've been playing BXE a bit and last night I played one of the custom flashpoints in it called "The Raid" where you use your black market access to gently caress with a bunch of Pirates for some cool lostech toys. It was a really tough series of essentially consecutive missions and I ended up siding with the pirates at the end since it sounded like an easier final mission and with a really nice guaranteed reward. My question is for anyone who has done the other path of finishing off the pirates, what is the reward? Is it comparable to a full Atlas II? I'm playing on Ironman so I can't go reload or I'd check for myself.

Second question, is there a way to advance time faster than just manually passing it? I set my game start at 3039 so I would have time to build up and then go fight the clans but I am basically good to go now but the clans still don't show up for another 8 years.

Final question, the mod mentions in the loading tips that you can rarely get Comstar as an Opfor on missions with their SLDF tech up for salvage, how do I get these? Do they show up in the contract board like other missions? I ask because the tip seems to imply that they can randomly show up as special reinforcements on a standard mission rather than than being the initial opfor. I have been hanging out on Comstar worlds but haven't seen either.

1) no idea, going the other route always crashes on me

2) yes, there is a mod called BEX time skip that let's you press a keybind and change your era. It's googleable.

3) comstar can show up as reinforcements or as main opfor they're just very, very rare.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
What's the best mod for getting the enemy to behave a little less suicidally in battles? Specifically, the NPCs never seem to eject under any circumstances and even the pirates seem to be willing to DIE FOR THE CAUSE when things turn hopeless. I found one on the Nexus but I dunno if there are better ones- this one seems to add a whole new morale system that I'm not sure if I actually want in the game. https://www.nexusmods.com/battletech/mods/137

I've still never beaten the story campaign, so I'm really looking for something minimal. I had a ludicrous situation last night where a pirate in a locust with no weapons left was trying to melee an undamaged centurion a full turn after the rest of his lance got smoked.

EDIT: apologies if there's a modding guide elsewhere in the thread, I didn't see one in the OP.

Comte de Saint-Germain fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Mar 23, 2023

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Enemies do not eject or retreat period in the vanilla game. If you want something of that nature that mod is the only way to do it.

It's a pretty good mod though.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
Why in the name of both god and christ is the process of adding four pilot portraits to MW5 so needlessly stupid

I should just be able to drop these into one folder in the directory structure like a sane video game and have it work. This is Technology™ that has been understood and even more or less standard for decades.

How is this god drat rocket science. How.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
:pgi: :pgi: :pgi:

I wish I still had the super big version of that.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

GD_American posted:

Keeping Clan names separate is a good way to easily spot the Clanaboo fanbase.

It helps that the names are inherently dumber. Vulture or Mad Dog? Masakari or Warhawk? Daishi or Dire Wolf? Cauldron-Born or Ebon Jaguar?

Incubus > Vixen.

I like Clan Nova/Spirit Cat mostly because they were the only clix faction my friends didn't want, so I ended up with all their pieces. I think a lot of fans of the Clans recognize just how utterly dystopian and f'ed up their culture is but it's a science-fiction fantasy universe so why not have fun with something different?

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.

Psycho Landlord posted:

2) yes, there is a mod called BEX time skip that let's you press a keybind and change your era. It's googleable.

3) comstar can show up as reinforcements or as main opfor they're just very, very rare.

Cheers, thanks. Really glad I didn't go the other route then, I would have been pissed if I had to replay all those super grueling missions.

Shardix
Sep 14, 2011

Don't have a fire cow, man
Mad Dog is a fine reporting name since it's intended to be an insult in the first place.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Honestly masakari and diashi are awful names. The rest yeah definately the is names are usually better

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AtillatheBum posted:

Cheers, thanks. Really glad I didn't go the other route then, I would have been pissed if I had to replay all those super grueling missions.

That FP was actually made by goon Amechwarrior- He's posted about it in the thread in the past.

Amechwarrior posted:

Thanks! "Tough but fair" is the best response you can give. The "I felt bad for being berated" is also great. It was hard to balance doing the right thing vs the profitable one. As for the time commitment, I agree. This started as 5 consecutive missions, a real grinder. I also have kids, had a newborn at the time I wrote this and it was too much. I'd wouldn't do a triple consecutive again, but I kept it as it fit the brutal grind of the film I took the title from. I help a lot of other people make FPs and try to prevent them from making the same mistakes. 3+ consecutive missions is a really common "I want to write a FP!" creator desire. I get it, but I learned it doesn't respect the players time.

As for 'Mechs rigged to explode. Yes, you won't be able to salvage those specific chassis but you still can salvage the weapons and equipment. I didn't want the player to get AS7-II chassis parts as it would have spoiled the impact of your choice. Turns out HBS added a flag to deny a chassis from appearing on salvage lists. One of the many happy accidents I found when learning how to put these together.

I have another one laid out, but I hit some brick walls with what I wanted to do with it and life got in the way. Thanks for the feedback!

I think his spoiler refers to the choices at the end.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Stravag posted:

Honestly masakari and diashi are awful names. The rest yeah definately the is names are usually better

It's big and kills people, so we'll name it "Big Death". :eng101:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
KRAKEN is also way better than BANE

on the other hand, Stone Rhino is better than Behemoth. Much 2 consider

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
Is the real problem with clans that they're way too 90s?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Sherbert Hoover posted:

That and they have the WH40k fan problem where you should really side eye anyone who's a big fan of them.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Psycho Landlord posted:

What mission exactly? Any details on what triggers the crash? What mod pack are you playing with?

I tired really hard to make it as reliable as stock FPs but if it's crashing within a mod pack, I can ping the mod makers to take a look at it.

Gwaihir posted:

That FP was actually made by goon Amechwarrior- He's posted about it in the thread in the past.

I think his spoiler refers to the choices at the end.

Yep, as for the rewards the op was asking for - the stock FP rewards some +++ MLs and other gear that was top tier at the time I wrote it (before the HM DLC went crazy with lostech) but mod packs might sweeten the rewards to tune for their environment. Basically it's enough to get you through the dark time of being banned from the Black Market for 2+ years once you consider all the other salvage you've already gotten from the FP.

In MW5 related news, my co-op friends convinced me to start streaming our games. So if you want to watch some two old grogs and a totally new to the franchise person play it fresh (w/tons of mods) we do pretty well. I've seen a lot of other streamers get wrecked daily. We started with Liao (because PPC Cicada for lols) and just finished up the RoR missions. We even have an all Urbanmech Lance for low difficulty missions.

https://twitch.tv/amechwarrior_actual

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 23, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Sherbert Hoover posted:

The Clans are absolutely perfect as a set of rear end in a top hat space villains who everyone should line up and punch.

They're a caste-based society where everyone who isn't a warrior is a slave and will eagerly conquer and absorb others into that system against their will, they practice full-on eugenics down to excluding "undesirables" from the breeding pool, they focus all of their efforts on endless, pointless fighting and things that help them fight instead of anything actually productive(while simultaneously denigrating the Inner Sphere for having a lot of internal strife), they do everything by a warped set of calvinball honor rules that can change and be broken the moment anyone on the field goes "nuh uh"(oh no i'm losing this battle, time to go back on my bid and call in more troops), and they're mired in endless hypocrisy with stuff like "it's dishonorable for two inner sphere freebirths to team up on one honorable clan trueborn, but it's not dishonorable for the honorable clan trueborn to use our science fiction super technology against the 300 year old inner sphere crap buckets".

Everything about them is written to be awful and rotten, and they're fine in that role. The problem is when the horrific parts of their society are ignored/deliberately forgotten - basically this:

That and they have the WH40k fan problem where you should really side eye anyone who's a big fan of them.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Why did they show a repair lab and let you use it in the second story mission if there isn’t another one of them in the entire galaxy?

Or am I missing them somehow?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They're in a few of the campaign missions. That one factory destruction mission has three I want to say?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Azhais posted:

They're in a few of the campaign missions. That one factory destruction mission has three I want to say?

I guess I’m just not recognizing them :eng99:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

so I saw this today and instantly bought the Archer. I'm considering going back for a Phoenix Hawk tomorrow

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kanos posted:

The Clans are absolutely perfect as a set of rear end in a top hat space villains who everyone should line up and punch.

They're a caste-based society where everyone who isn't a warrior is a slave and will eagerly conquer and absorb others into that system against their will, they practice full-on eugenics down to excluding "undesirables" from the breeding pool, they focus all of their efforts on endless, pointless fighting and things that help them fight instead of anything actually productive(while simultaneously denigrating the Inner Sphere for having a lot of internal strife), they do everything by a warped set of calvinball honor rules that can change and be broken the moment anyone on the field goes "nuh uh"(oh no i'm losing this battle, time to go back on my bid and call in more troops), and they're mired in endless hypocrisy with stuff like "it's dishonorable for two inner sphere freebirths to team up on one honorable clan trueborn, but it's not dishonorable for the honorable clan trueborn to use our science fiction super technology against the 300 year old inner sphere crap buckets".

Everything about them is written to be awful and rotten, and they're fine in that role. The problem is when the horrific parts of their society are ignored/deliberately forgotten - basically this:

Well the other problem is that while everything you said is true, it’s usually not actually intended as critique and the writers mostly think they’re cool heroes except for A Few Bad Apples.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Well the other problem is that while everything you said is true, it’s usually not actually intended as critique and the writers mostly think they’re cool heroes except for A Few Bad Apples.

BattleTech fiction has almost always focused on individuals and their choices as opposed to sociological analysis because ultimately the BattleTech lore is there to serve the purpose of the games, which is; "Make big stompy robots that can fight each other." Writing about characters serves that purpose better than writing endless books about how messed up these societies are.

The Clans get a ton of attention because they make some of the biggest and coolest stompy robots.

Also, since most people consider BT a hobby as opposed to a Master's Coursework in dystopianism they tend to ignore most of the negative aspects of their favorite factions so they can focus on the fun roleplay aspects.

It should be mentioned as well most of the Inner Sphere factions have their own flavor of f-ed up as well. Kurita and the Capellans are pretty dystopian totalitarian states; the Feds Sun is your typical feudal monarchy with lots of poverty. Free Worlds League is constantly fracturing over politics and killing each other (Until recently). House Steiner is... House Steiner.

It should be noted that FASA said the reason the Clans are so different is this was their way to have "aliens without aliens". The Clans are meant to be a completely alien culture very unlike anything seen in humanity before.

I really doubt the vast majority of Clan fans want a Eugenics & Caste Based society with a Communist economy. They just want to paint their mechs with cool Wolf or Falcon decals and say "I AM AN HONORABLE WARRIOR FIGHT ME".

Which is far as hobbies go, eh, who cares. They're having fun.

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Mar 24, 2023

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Also clantech is just straight better so who doesn’t want the good stuff

TT clrms aaaag

I actually like the rebalancing of clantech in bta, at least conceptually, haven’t gotten my hands on much of it yet (and my cgauss just got destroyed :cry: )

I think it’s similar to some of the things ptn did to clantech in his big thread?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

so I saw this today and instantly bought the Archer. I'm considering going back for a Phoenix Hawk tomorrow
The stuffed Urbie is adorable.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Hot take i don’t like urbanmechs

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Hot take i don’t like urbanmechs

We need people like you to power our own enjoyment of them. Part of the fun is tormenting others with a walking trashcan.

The other, most important part is 360 torso twist.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Chainclaw posted:

We need people like you to power our own enjoyment of them. Part of the fun is tormenting others with a walking trashcan.

The other, most important part is 360 torso twist.

o7

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

∩7

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Zeroisanumber posted:

I like a lot of the Clan mechs but the whole Clan society is so deeply silly that I can't ever take them seriously.

Still, smashing robbits together is fun as hell.

The atmosphere in Mechwarrior 2 was greatly assisted by the game not bothering to have voice acting outside of the trainer and computer voice. I can't imagine how cringy the game would get if they tried to incorporate less sterile storytelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
To fix a statement

if anyone is a fan of any faction in battle tech, you should side eye them