Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

BattleMaster posted:

Are we sure this isn't a stunt like every time he breaks expensive hardware?

I think it's far funnier that he breaks expensive hardware on accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arivia posted:

Deleting your entire youtube channel, your #1 source of income, is a bit too much for a stunt, even for Linus.

Apparently youtube makes up a small percentage of their revenue. They make way more on their store (according to them).

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

track day bro! posted:

for every poster that hates linus itt im going to buy a bcackpack from ltt store dot com ganbatte linus kun

I really like mine but I'm a tremendous fuckin dork that takes cameras, lenses, laptops and tablets everywhere and all the padding and structure is appreciated. It mainly gets slung in the boot of my car or under the seat in front on a plane.

I draw the line at a £70 screwdriver though.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Romes128 posted:

Apparently youtube makes up a small percentage of their revenue. They make way more on their store (according to them).

Yeah, but people go there because of youtube. Nobody's buying the new non-ratcheting screwdriver if youtube isn't there to tell them it's out.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Charles Leclerc posted:

I really like mine but I'm a tremendous fuckin dork that takes cameras, lenses, laptops and tablets everywhere and all the padding and structure is appreciated. It mainly gets slung in the boot of my car or under the seat in front on a plane.

I draw the line at a £70 screwdriver though.

lmao you actually bought the homercar backpack

edit: i guess its good idk??????

Edit2: ltt channel is back but has been terminated for violating youtubes community guidelines

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
https://twitter.com/MacAddressYT/status/1639008547794198528 lol

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
What is the better outcome, that it turns out YouTube retains copies of videos deleted from it's service or that Linus just lost all his uploaded videos?

Also curious, what were the private videos? Linus Jake sextape?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lmfao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Perfect.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/LinusTech/status/1638979111459885061

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LTT's Youtube channel is back up. It was actually back up a little while ago but at that time a lot of weird or old videos that probably were not supposed to be public were public, and everything had a timestamp of yesterday instead of whenever it was really posted.

A bunch of the stuff I clicked on seems to be excised from my history, but we still have boats city:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzebn9GBeeU

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

This was the perfect smokescreen for Linus to delete all the embarrassing stuff like the Hard R video.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Harminoff posted:

I wonder what the revenue lost is per hour during all this?

well, apparently they got an unprecedented number of new subscribers to floatplane during all of this, so i guess it all evens out.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGXaAWbzl5A

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

lmao this should have the thumbnail

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
ofcourse it was steve

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Sound like it was the old evil.pdf.exe trick. Never hide extensions.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

there's a similar trick using a unicode character that can reverse the direction of characters after it, so evilfdp.exe appears to be named evilexe.pdf. so unhiding file extensions won't help, and you have to keep an eye on the file type column instead.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 24, 2023

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Weaponized Autism posted:

Apparently this might be the hack, explained by some other YouTuber that's been affecting YouTube for a while:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf9ERdBkM5M

It sounds like someone at LTT may have been a victim of a sponsorship scam, and downloaded malware. The malware sends the active session cookie to the hacker (in this case, the logged in YT account), and then the hacker is already logged in and can fully access the YouTube account. No MFA needed.

I'm just shocked that a channel that size doesn't have some sort of brand manager who handles incoming sponsorships but who doesn't also have access to the YT account because they presumably don't need it.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

there's a similar trick using a unicode character that can reverse the direction of characters after it, so evilfdp.exe appears to be named evilexe.pdf. so unhiding file extensions won't help, and you have to keep an eye on the file type column instead.
I guess the trick is to make a fake brand such that exe doesn't look out of place. "Hi, we're Frexe, we do The Best RGB Tea Cosies. Please read sponsor-proposal-Frexe.pdf" might even catch me out. You can apprently block executables with the unicode character but it requires using GPO.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Does this require admin rights too or does it work on basic accounts in Windows?

And lol at just sitting naked figuring it out unless he was just in shorts but still covered up his massive dong.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I hope this is both fake and real.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Look at that freshly vacuumed floor

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

Does this require admin rights too or does it work on basic accounts in Windows?

And lol at just sitting naked figuring it out unless he was just in shorts but still covered up his massive dong.

there's a shot in the video of him going downstairs. he was butt naked. i don't know why yvonne didn't toss a fuckin pair of undies and a sweater at him during all that time though.

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Vintersorg posted:

Data like this needs to be readable and writable by the user and is stored in a place like AppData, so it'll even work on basic accounts. The only way to reduce risk to it really is to not save any state when you close the browser such as always using the private mode, or having the browser set up to delete site data when closed, but if you have the browser open at the time you run it, it will still be able to read the files that haven't been deleted yet. Even a browser that stored everything in memory would probably be exploitable by finding the process' in use memory and reading/parsing it.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

Arivia posted:

there's a shot in the video of him going downstairs. he was butt naked. i don't know why yvonne didn't toss a fuckin pair of undies and a sweater at him during all that time though.

I'm pretty sure "our livelihood and that of 100+ others is being destroyed in real time" is a valid reason to forget about underwear.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

power crystals posted:

I'm pretty sure "our livelihood and that of 100+ others is being destroyed in real time" is a valid reason to forget about underwear.

I’m not objecting to Linus getting out of bed rear end naked. It’s obvious from the video (the footage and what he says) that he was at his computer for hours trying to figure this out. I don’t know why his wife, who is also on the footage and is shown going back and forth, didn’t grab him some basic clothes, is all. And I’m not saying it from the perspective of “oh Linus is a manchild” or “it’s her job to help him”, solely seeing another person in distress grab them some basic clothing is all.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The secret truth is he's always naked on camera, subjecting his employees to having to CGI clothes on to him. It's just this time they didn't have time for more than blurring...

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Arivia posted:

I’m not objecting to Linus getting out of bed rear end naked. It’s obvious from the video (the footage and what he says) that he was at his computer for hours trying to figure this out. I don’t know why his wife, who is also on the footage and is shown going back and forth, didn’t grab him some basic clothes, is all. And I’m not saying it from the perspective of “oh Linus is a manchild” or “it’s her job to help him”, solely seeing another person in distress grab them some basic clothing is all.

its ok to be naked in your house indefinitely you know

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Arivia posted:

who cares. ill take my clothes off to sit at my pc. gotta remain unconstrained for max apm

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Clothes are Linus's power limiter. He wears clothes to make himself stupid so he can make dumb videos. When it's real problem solving time, he's always fully nude. This is why LTT employees tend to leave after a crisis.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

:wtc:

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Let's not forget Linus' wife, Yvonne, is also the CFO and was probably also urgently scrambling to fix the issue.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
Genuinely impressive mental gymnastics itt. Literally insane ramblings.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Charles Leclerc posted:

Genuinely impressive mental gymnastics itt. Literally insane ramblings.

The Linus Lover chimes in.

It's funny - any time someone criticizes him you're here standing "FUKKEN BRAINWORMS THE LOT OF YOU!!!"

loving fanboy.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Criticising Linus for being naked in his own house is a strange hill to die on.

Criticising him for using security footage of that as B-roll footage, that I do agree with.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fragrag posted:

Criticising Linus for being naked in his own house is a strange hill to die on.

Criticising him for using security footage of that as B-roll footage, that I do agree with.

Also for loving his CFO

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

sometimes it's best to just not reply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Highly unprofessional. LTT is a joke of an organization and I've heard rumors it's about to collapse.