Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
Floor is so much the way to go if our boys ever return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
people who get mad for people standing at a concert are the worst

I'm still proud of myself for smoking a joint in the 700 dollar seats at a stones concert. I had to stay sitting the whole show but man were the aristrocrats mad.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Costco Meatballs posted:

people who get mad for people standing at a concert are the worst

I'm still proud of myself for smoking a joint in the 700 dollar seats at a stones concert. I had to stay sitting the whole show but man were the aristrocrats mad.

As someone with asthma who had someone smoking next to me the entire time I went to a show, please don't, it was loving miserable

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Framboise posted:

As someone with asthma who had someone smoking next to me the entire time I went to a show, please don't, it was loving miserable

I hope you were standing at least

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I must shamefully admit I also smoked a joint at a Radiohead concert. It belonged to a stranger though.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I must shamefully admit I also smoked a joint at a Radiohead concert. It belonged to a stranger though.

Smoking butts at concerts was cool, too. Something to do during set break. Putting them out on the floor. It was badass. Smoking ftw

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica

Framboise posted:

We smoked one joint at a rolling stones concert, I'm sorry about your condition but I would do it again every time.

Did you try asking them to stop?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

This was just brought to my attention, and uhh, holy poo poo. It's the entire album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2JHChJpG_A

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Jonny Greenwood even reposted it on his Twitter lol

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
lol the video covers the 2006 version of videotape

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICydLkeXq3w

The final trailer for Renfield (the Nicolas Cage as Dracula movie) came out today and it uses Creep

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Rageaholic posted:

This was just brought to my attention, and uhh, holy poo poo. It's the entire album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2JHChJpG_A

Just seeing this and I think it proves how good songs like Weird Fishes are when they can sound this good in a cover like this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/consequence/status/1638960576322760714

:eyepop: I had no idea they were recording another one already. Hell yeah!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Looks like they're recording at Abbey Road.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rageaholic posted:

gently caress yeah

The last album was so, so good, my favourite non-Radiohead thing he's ever done, I think

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

gently caress yeah

The last album was so, so good, my favourite non-Radiohead thing he's ever done, I think

Not a high bar lol.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
Anima and The Eraser are both incredibly good. Not a big fan of Tomorrow's Modern Boxes or Amok.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Not a high bar lol.

Sorry, what? Are you one of those people whose favorite Radiohead album is the bends?

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Thom Yorke’s solo and side projects, up until Anima, are pretty self indulgent releases. Excuses to tinker with beatmaking and minimal techno, but they feel like releases strictly for the fans (although Eraser does have a few standouts.)

After AMSP he has treated his solo efforts and side projects like they’re his main focus now, which is cool. Anima is a good album, it is still very much minimal techno but you can tell he put more work into the “texture” of the album.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 24, 2023

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

Thom Yorke’s solo and side projects, up until Anima, are pretty self indulgent releases. Excuses to tinker with beatmaking and minimal techno, but they feel like releases strictly for the fans (although Eraser does have a few standouts.)

After AMSP he has treated his solo efforts and side projects like they’re his main focus now, which is cool. Anima is a good album, it is still very much minimal techno but you can tell he put more work into the “texture” of the album.

What does it mean to be “self-indulgent”? He’s just making the type of music he likes? What would it mean for it to not be self-indulgent? Also “a release strictly for the fans” - firstly this is directly contradicting your prior statement about it being self-indulgent, and who is it supposed to be for it not “the fans”?

I for one cannot tell that he put any more effort into Anima than he did his other albums.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
The side stuff is summarized pretty well in the format of a "mom I want Radiohead" /"we have Radiohead at home" meme

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I don't think it's discount Radiohead or anything like it. The only time Radiohead ever really strayed in that direction were a few tracks on Hail to the Thief and Com Lag.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I love The Smile but I’m also very excited for more EOB output. I really liked Earth, despite some lyrical wonkiness.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Volte posted:

I don't think it's discount Radiohead or anything like it. The only time Radiohead ever really strayed in that direction were a few tracks on Hail to the Thief and Com Lag.
King of Limbs is the culmination of Thom Yorke’s beatmaking. Slicing up and looping his bandmate’s playing to create awkward and tense polyrhythms.

Some really cool songs (some annoying loops though, like the drum loop in “Bloom”) but somehow that album is less than the sum of its parts. Wish they let that project cook a while longer. The “In The Basement” version feels like the kid who turned in his final draft too late, so he was graded on his first draft.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 24, 2023

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Automata 10 Pack posted:

King of Limbs is the culmination of Thom Yorke’s beatmaking. Slicing up and looping his bandmate’s playing to create awkward and tense polyrhythms.

Some really cool songs (some annoying loops though, like the drum loop in “Bloom”) but somehow that album is less than the sum of its parts. Wish they let that project cook a while longer. The “In The Basement” version feels like the kid who turned in his final draft too late, so he was graded on his first draft.

This on the other hand, I totally agree with.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

What does it mean to be “self-indulgent”? He’s just making the type of music he likes? What would it mean for it to not be self-indulgent? Also “a release strictly for the fans” - firstly this is directly contradicting your prior statement about it being self-indulgent, and who is it supposed to be for it not “the fans”?

I for one cannot tell that he put any more effort into Anima than he did his other albums.

I think they mean its not accessible. And also Thom just doing his own thing, getting weird and what not.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I guess? It doesn’t seem any weirder than what’s found on Kid A or Amnesiac.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

I guess? It doesn’t seem any weirder than what’s found on Kid A or Amnesiac.

Yeah but those albums are old now and Radiohead's output since Amnesiac has been much more accessible.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think a lot of what people ascribe to Thom getting weird with it is actually Nigel getting weird with it while Thom cheers him on and sings over top of it. Thom is a melody man in the end. Whenever Thom strikes out totally on his own, he's always just playing guitar and piano, maybe a loop pedal thrown in there. It's only when he's collaborating with Nigel that he starts with the skittering beats and loops.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Also Jonny loves him some beats and loops too. I thought I read somewhere it was Jonny and Nigel that were the driving forces behind TKOL.

Also Jonny is responsible for studio Videotape.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Yeah but those albums are old now and Radiohead's output since Amnesiac has been much more accessible.

What does their age have to do with it? My point was that Thom’s solo stuff is quite similar to Kid A/Amnesiac, and therefore I’m not convinced that The Eraser is any less accessible than Kid A/Amnesiac. The Eraser came out before In Rainbows did. The only other Radiohead released in that span was HTTT. I’m not trying to be pedantic here, I just find it so curious how his albums have this reputation for being “out there” when they’re cut from the same cloth as those landmark albums that everyone knows/loves. Like, you can put Pull/Pulk on a Thom album, or you can put Black Swan on a Radiohead album. They are totally interchangeable aesthetics.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rageaholic posted:

This is really exciting news and maybe a hot take opinion here, but if I knew nothing about The Smile I could easily be convinced it was Radiohead's follow-up to AMSP, so if the others aren't as keen to make new music as Thom & Jonny are then I hope The Smile keep on as they've been going. They reworked some unreleased Radiohead material for the debut so I'll hold out hope (even if it's unlikely) that we get a studio version of Cut a Hole on the next Smile album because it's an incredible track.

Automata 10 Pack posted:

I agree, there was a lot of great songs from that period released shortly after the album that would have fit perfectly and fleshed it out. Staircase & The Daily Mail were brilliant, for example, and they would not have been out of place on such a sonically diverse album. These Are My Twisted Words should have been on there too. There's a beautiful piano performance of Bloom by Thom, by the way:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdmL835q9To

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Jewmanji posted:

What does their age have to do with it? My point was that Thom’s solo stuff is quite similar to Kid A/Amnesiac, and therefore I’m not convinced that The Eraser is any less accessible than Kid A/Amnesiac. The Eraser came out before In Rainbows did. The only other Radiohead released in that span was HTTT. I’m not trying to be pedantic here, I just find it so curious how his albums have this reputation for being “out there” when they’re cut from the same cloth as those landmark albums that everyone knows/loves. Like, you can put Pull/Pulk on a Thom album, or you can put Black Swan on a Radiohead album. They are totally interchangeable aesthetics.

Put yourself in the mind of a non fan or not hardcore fan or people who aren't into these weirder albums from both Radiohead and Thom. A lot of my "normie" friends fav radiohead album is In Rainbows for example. But they would never mess with something like Kid A/Amnesiac or any of the solo albums. If that makes sense.

They are still out there and weird despite how big the albums are.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
These Are My Twisted Words actually came out a couple of years before King of Limbs towards the end of the In Rainbows tour, but I consider it part of the TKOL era just the same. Thom did a cool 12-string acoustic version at his one solo performance last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K97TkMUiCuY

Volte fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 24, 2023

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Anima is a better album than Hail to the Thief tbh

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Pirate Jet posted:

Pablo Honey is a better album than Hail to the Thief tbh

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Jewmanji posted:

Sorry, what? Are you one of those people whose favorite Radiohead album is the bends?

My favorite Radiohead album is the bends.

I'll see myself out.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The Bends is one of their best albums, but so are all the other ones

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
On a Radiohead rankings note the band restocked LPs of all the studio albums but Kid A and Amnesiac on their Bandcamp if you are missing one and want to piss away thirty dollars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Volte posted:

These Are My Twisted Words actually came out a couple of years before King of Limbs towards the end of the In Rainbows tour, but I consider it part of the TKOL era just the same. Thom did a cool 12-string acoustic version at his one solo performance last year

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K97TkMUiCuY

Yeah, I vaguely remember the promo artwork having the branches style that was used throughout the TKOL era as well? That solo performance is fantastic though, and Thom's ability to take songs it's hard to imagine being performed solo (Twisted Words, Bloom) and not only managing to do so to such a high quality but also make it look effortless, is really impressive. I think it's a shame his playing generally gets overlooked as I think he's one of the most talented guitarists around, and it's wild to me that his voice still sounds so good after all this time.