Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

So like present day America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Plenty of spuds at the terrorist house!

The end of series understanding between factions will be sharing chips made on Earth and tomato sauce from Mio-mio's garden.

Hellbore
Jan 25, 2012
They said is was from an agricultural front, so it's probably space potatoes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Deve_Dy/status/1638937274652999683?s=20

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This is thigh erasure.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Arc Hammer posted:

This is thigh erasure.

I was actually wondering if the camera guy was overly fixated on Miorine's legs throughout the whole show or if it was just my imagination because it definitely seemed that way

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Meowywitch posted:

I was actually wondering if the camera guy was overly fixated on Miorine's legs throughout the whole show or if it was just my imagination because it definitely seemed that way

Suletta is sex crazed and wants those legs.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Meowywitch posted:

Someone analyzed all those scenes and those shots were all from what Suletta's POV could have been, and you can see she stares at Mio's legs every now and then in different shots.

Suletta's a leg girl.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm interested to see the bluray sales numbers in the next week or so, since it'll give about the most concrete indication we're likely to get on whether Sunrise's attempt to appeal to people by making a show based less on outright warfare and more on corporate dickery, using yuri romance etc. pays off for them. The streaming and television ratings numbers can be rather ambiguous depending on how you interpret them, and Banrise never give any real indication of the numbers for Gunpla; so bluray is about the best indication we'll have since it's just a flat number: "this is how many were sold", "this is the average per volume" and/or "this is the total final for the show" etc.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Okay, so I know it's popular on streaming and social media and it keeps selling out of all its gunpla, but here's how G-Witch can still be a failure

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, so I know it's popular on streaming and social media and it keeps selling out of all its gunpla, but here's how G-Witch can still be a failure

As I said, the numbers for streaming can be interpreted a variety of ways and gunpla is hard to gauge because of how opaque Banrise are, so while I don't think it'll be a "failure", I am curious what the numbers are to get a sense of whether the show has pulled in some new people or a lot of new people. I don't even think social media is worth bringing into the discussion because it's such a bubble. Twitter has an outsized impact in a lot of people's estimation for how small it's userbase is, for instance. It's just an echo chamber, and you can't get a good read on how much people care about a thing in general based off it because it could just be a few people shouting a lot and/or really loudly.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

No one data point is going to give you a complete picture. How many people bought gunpla for the first time because of G-Witch? How many people have watched G-Witch as their first time watching Gundam? Neither question can be answered by sales data because you can't disaggregate new buyers from people who purchase things regularly. Comparing G-Witch sales to IBO or AGE sales doesn't work either, because there are too many confounding variables present.

To get the answer you seek, you actually need to do a survey of people who have bought gunpla/watched G-Witch. Commercial success isn't enough to draw conclusions about new people vs. regulars because you don't have an apples to apples comparison to make.

Does Japan do the same kind of surveys that Neilson does here in the US for ratings? Because if so, that is going to be your best source of 'how many new people did this bring in?' until someone decides to survey gunpla and DVD purchase habits.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
No one data point can give a complete picture, but then, I never said it could; only that the bluray sales data were about the best that we would get because of how ambiguous all the other data we do have is. I have posted this streaming numbers site here in the past (Witch usually placed about 4th on that list while airing, by the way; but well behind Spy x Family, which was basically always the top in terms of numbers, and by a long shot at that) as somewhat of an analogue to Nielson numbers, but the streaming numbers are open to interpretation because how these sites actually measure data isn't clear (i.e. what services do they watch, what kind of window after airing do they monitor to measure numbers and so on). The sales data is just a simple number, so it's a lot clearer. Is it perfect? Of course not. It's still interesting to see though.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Mar 24, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At a certain point I feel that success is only measured by how much fanart a show produces. And this show has produced a fair chunk.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

new key visual, spoiled because they posted it then removed it from the site (without actually deleting the file)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I hope that means we're getting more interactions between Lilique and Renee

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Guel versus Suletta for the final shooting pose.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is someone going to just come out and say that they think bandai is lying every time they put out one of these interviews or whatever where someone says that people who don't typically watch gundam are watching gwitch

Because I don't think that's necessarily an unreasonable claim but it's weird that despite bandai being fairly open that gwitch is accomplishing its stated goal, no one actually says the thing even though it's clearly a necessary premise to the conclusions being drawn.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 24, 2023

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Guel took a bite of gum-gum.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This isn't your parent's Star Trek Gundam.

This is the first openly gay couple in Disney Gundam.

It's all marketing speak.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

Is someone going to just come out and say that they think bandai is lying every time they put out one of these interviews or whatever where someone says that people who don't typically watch gundam are watching gwitch

Because I don't think that's necessarily and unreasonable claim but it's weird that despite bandai being fairly open that gwitch is accomplishing its stated goal, no one actually says the thing even though it's clearly a necessary premise to the conclusions being drawn.

I don't know how much clearer I can be about this, but let me try: I do not think Bandai are lying and I do not think Witch from Mercury is in any danger of "failing" in some fashion, be that by not pulling in any audience, or by not pulling in a new audience. What I think the bluray sales numbers might help to indicate is only whether the show is doing "well" or "really loving well" at those goals. Whether it is or not isn't going to change my perception of the show, nor do I think it's something that should have dominated this page of conversation since it was just an idle thought, but I do think it'll be kind of interesting to see the numbers. It might also give some indication on whether the show is something Banrise will look at as a long term prospect, or just one more in a series of stand alone AU shows. It might also give some indication on whether the show is likely to be 2 seasons or more. Not definitive, but if the show is wildly successful on SEED or Unicorn's level in terms of bluray sales then they're much more likely to want to keep the gravy train going than to try and wrap it up in 26 episodes; which I personally don't think they plan on anyway given the show's pacing.

tsob fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 24, 2023

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gripweed posted:

Now I’m just imagining that there’s a straight up famine going on on earth and the only effect of it the rich kids at the school have felt is there aren’t french fries in the cafeteria.

With some of the other inferences in the show, this might be actually true.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
https://twitter.com/MON0EYE/status/1639276935195897862?s=20

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Companies are never gonna come out and say "Our new show sucks rear end and is a huge failure, don't get too attached to it", but at the same time I think people get way too paranoid about ratings and popularity.

All the marketing they've been doing for the show certainly seems to indicate that nothing is going wrong. They're not just dumping episodes without a word, they're not not producing gunpla for it, it's just a regular ol' Gundam show, not doing amazingly well or badly.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

She looks like a flying squirrel; her jacket is big enough on her it honestly wouldn't be surprising if it was a wingsuit, for that matter.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oh cool.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Mios legs front and center.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Count me as one of those people who have never watched Gundam and loved Revolutionary Girl Gundam. Finished it last night and can't stop thinking about it--hell of a cliff hanger :catstare:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

tsob posted:

I don't know how much clearer I can be about this, but let me try: I do not think Bandai are lying and I do not think Witch from Mercury is in any danger of "failing" in some fashion, be that by not pulling in any audience, or by not pulling in a new audience. What I think the bluray sales numbers might help to indicate is only whether the show is doing "well" or "really loving well" at those goals. Whether it is or not isn't going to change my perception of the show, nor do I think it's something that should have dominated this page of conversation since it was just an idle thought, but I do think it'll be kind of interesting to see the numbers. It might also give some indication on whether the show is something Banrise will look at as a long term prospect, or just one more in a series of stand alone AU shows. It might also give some indication on whether the show is likely to be 2 seasons or more. Not definitive, but if the show is wildly successful on SEED or Unicorn's level in terms of bluray sales then they're much more likely to want to keep the gravy train going than to try and wrap it up in 26 episodes; which I personally don't think they plan on anyway given the show's pacing.

My argument boils down to DVD sales providing more information to the overall composite, but not enough to push the needle. DVDs, figures, plammo, bric-a-brac like keychains and hoodies... there's a fuckload that goes into the overall merchandizing profit of the show. None of these can be used as a proxy for "did this show bring in new fans?" because all of them aggregate the activity of new and old fans. Ratings, be it from streaming services or surveys, are really the only way to do that because those are your only datasets that can disaggregate new viewers from people who have watched a Gundam show before.

Streaming especially. "Has this user watched our other Gundam shows?" is an easy question to ask when you track playback data. And when you have playback data from multiple sources (lets say Netflix and CR) where you can join the tables on a common variable (lets say email address) you can get an even better picture. The company I work for does a piss poor job of that for our own platform, but I bet Crunchyroll and YouTube have some juicy data points. poo poo, you could probably build some amazing user profiles with the watch history of users from just those two sites and even pick out some hypothetical weirdo who never interacted with anything GundamInfo posts on YouTube but has been looking up all kinds of videos of people building the Aerial kit and scratch builds.

In short, DVD sales don't say anything about the demographics of who bought the DVDs unless there is additional metadata about the buyer attached. So the question isn't "what do the DVD sales look like?" it's "who bought the DVDs?" DVD numbers answer the part of your post I bolded--notice how that has nothing to do with whether the show is bringing in new buyers, bringing back old buyers, or being supported by existing buyers.

I also disagree about this dominating discussion. It's a cool topic to think about. But maybe that's just me and how much I rather like data analytics. I'm leading the project at my company to turn our current dodgy reporting into something more useful for answering these kinds of questions so it's a topic close to my heart.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Malloc Voidstar posted:

new key visual, spoiled because they posted it then removed it from the site (without actually deleting the file)

I see the two Spacian Bully Girls that Chuchu got her hands on are confirmed dead.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, since someone else started the argument this time, I suppose I can bring in the data we have. Day one, Witch's DVD is selling quite well. This makes sense, both because Witch's merch sales have been impressive, and because the primary demographic (at least in streaming, because I haven't been able to find detailed ratings demographic breakdowns like I could for older shows) is the same as the main audience still buying DVDs in the modern era in Japan. Can't say yet if it's going to sell decent numbers or Bocchi and LycoReco style astonishing numbers, but right now it's looking like it's at least going to do alright.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Suletta could absolutely defeat Bocchi in combat.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kessoku Band cover of the GUND-ARM jingle

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Gripweed posted:

Amorphous jellies can be surprisingly resilient to blunt attacks.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Gripweed posted:

We have no way of knowing if this is true until we strap Bocchi into a Valkyrie. Also:

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Amorphous jellies can be surprisingly resilient to blunt attacks.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Bocchi has died multiple times and keeps coming back. The jury is still out on whether Suletta respawns or if the Gund Bits are powered by the souls of other forsaken children.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
Suletta wins, but only because I think the thought of fighting anyone would instantly take Bocchi out whereas Suletta thrives in combat

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/343149662418632706/1078928811229454366/332938969_2185685581806347_1716100362804669010_n.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

:perfect:

Technically a box is a gundam.