Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I was going back and forth trying to figure out how the cards were different and didn't realize they were just different treatments. I'm a fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Vigilance on animated land? At least is not immediately counterspell mana

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

AngryBooch posted:

holy moly

Predictions were right, Wrenn is the new Nissa now and has a World Tree

This looks really cool

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

AngryBooch posted:

holy moly

wow this is gonna be a powerhouse I feel like. doesn't protect itself on turn 3 but 5 loyalty that early is a lot. After that a 3/3 vigilance that can tap for mana after if you need it to is quite good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

holy moly

Does "Mill three cards." without a target mean you can only mill yourself? If not, ending up with someone else's card in your hand is unusual.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Arivia posted:

Does "Mill three cards." without a target mean you can only mill yourself? If not, ending up with someone else's card in your hand is unusual.

It does mean that, other wise it would be "target player mills...."

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Arivia posted:

yes it means only you. If it allowed you to target an opponent it would say 'target player' or 'target opponent'

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Rinkles posted:

What’s a world tree?

It's a motif shared by a number of old religions and mythologies of a really big tree that supports the world and the heavens and is the connecting conduit between them. In MtG, Kaldheim has a World Tree based on Yggdrasil from Norse mythology. The Phyrexians studied it and created their own World Tree called Realmbreaker to use as a tool to invade other planes. Wrenn has now apparently wrested control of Realmbreaker from the Phyrexians.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Kashuno posted:

wow this is gonna be a powerhouse I feel like. doesn't protect itself on turn 3 but 5 loyalty that early is a lot. After that a 3/3 vigilance that can tap for mana after if you need it to is quite good.

The land stays a creature until your next turn. It can block, and can't even be doom bladed to make way for your attack.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

VictualSquid posted:

The land stays a creature until your next turn. It can block, and can't even be doom bladed to make way for your attack.

It doesn't untap the land, so on turn 3 it's not protection.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah but you'd need to have 4 lands (or a treasure) to have an untapped land that can block after you cast

Efb

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

AngryBooch posted:

holy moly

This seems great and I think goes in a lot of Greasefang pioneer builds. A

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

REALLY makes the new Elspeth look boring.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
I'm sure this isn't going to be a problematic card.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
New Wrenn for a new less red Atraxa deck?

Weren't story was cool, afraid we are going to lose her in Aftermath, but still hope not one of the characters I like most so far. They're definitely going to try and stick Phyrexia in the purgatory bubble or whatever. Just a matter of Wrenn and Realmbreaker get to survive.

The Ravnica story I started glossing over, anyone who would get romantic with Jace is garbage and I'm really disappointed they aren't both confirmed dead yet. I might be interested in her pathos but my introduction to her is completing Jace and I can't shake her Jace association.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I'm not really sure that card is that good. It reads nicely at first glance but I don't get what kind of deck that slots into, and I don't see the static ability as that useful because if you build your deck around having access to that you're asking for trouble since PWs never survive long.

It literally reads to me: -2 to draw a card, dies

I'm always hilariously off with planeswalker evaluations though so who knows.

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Mar 24, 2023

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

I'm not really sure that card is that good. It reads nicely at first glance but I don't get what kind of deck that slots into, and I don't see the static ability as that useful because if you build your deck around having access to that you're asking for trouble since PWs never survive long.

I'm always hilariously off with planeswalker evaluations though so who knows.

I think it's more interesting than good, but weird cards can be a bit surprising.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If I hadn't abandoned Giant Lady tree commander deck, this new Wrenn would definitely go in there.

Are there enough animateable lands in standard for a land attack deck?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Don't overlook the static ability as its quite good on its own.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

mikeraskol posted:

I'm not really sure that card is that good. It reads nicely at first glance but I don't get what kind of deck that slots into...

I think Fritzler is right - it very obviously can go into Greasefang, which values the mill, the fixing, and the way to generate threats in the face of graveyard hate, if you're whiffing on the combo, or just flooding a bit. There's always a question of what to cut, though. One of the mill cards, probably. It might be an upgrade over Witherbloom Command. Wrenn gives pressure, hypothetically more mill, higher quality mill (since you can get the rat in addition to lands). But you lose the incidental ability to blow up tiny things, and, more importantly, you're lowering your chance to hit the turn 3 P2.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Mar 24, 2023

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

It might be good in 4c money pile decks in modern, maybe

I feel like it's incredibly close, but the fact that it pairs up so nicely with W6 giving you fetch lands to animate as an attacker/blocker that you can sac for a land to avoid combat damage seems very strong. And clearly in modern ulting her just completely ends the game, even putting aside nonsense like "now you get infinite card draw with mishra's bauble"

It also completely destroys blood moon as an avenue of attack against those decks, since not only can they fetch as many basics as they'd like, but new wrenn makes those basics rainbow lands

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 24, 2023

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

If Realmbreaker is a Phyrexian World Tree, wouldn't merging with it also turn Wrenn Phyrexian? I figured she would have used a portal to go to Kaldheim's tree and merge with that one.

Poor Seven, got artificially aged by Teferi and then kinda did nothing. :smith:

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Mar 24, 2023

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Boxman posted:

I think Fritzler is right - it very obviously can go into Greasefang, which values the mill, the fixing, and the way to generate threats in the face of graveyard hate, if you're whiffing on the combo, or just flooding a bit. There's always a question of what to cut, though. One of the mill cards, probably. It might be an upgrade over Witherbloom Command. Wrenn gives pressure, hypothetically more mill, higher quality mill (since you can get the rat in addition to lands). But you lose the incidental ability to blow up tiny things, and, more importantly, you're lowering your chance to hit the turn 3 P2.

I don't know that it would replace witherbloom command, since every mode of that card is useful. It removes x/1 creatures like llanowar elves, it destroys pretty much every gy hate permanent except leyline of the void, and it finds combo pieces. I think a 3 mana permanent that just exists to help find the combo isn't good enough. It has to also be good on its own, like wedding invitation or lilliana of the veil. Maybe a sideboard card when you go midrange

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I think Melina gave her a vaccine booster beforehand.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Nm

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

AngryBooch posted:

holy moly

i have no capacity to evaluate this card. its interesting that it doesnt generate any mana. the minus isnt regrowth (thank god) but looking at 3 cards on a -2 for a 3 mana planeswalker is very strong. the biggest problem, i think, is that it straight up just does not protect itself if you tap out for it.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

MasterBuilder posted:

I'm sure this isn't going to be a problematic card.

I am. It's not very good.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

shades of blue posted:

i have no capacity to evaluate this card. its interesting that it doesnt generate any mana. the minus isnt regrowth (thank god) but looking at 3 cards on a -2 for a 3 mana planeswalker is very strong. the biggest problem, i think, is that it straight up just does not protect itself if you tap out for it.

I don't think it needs to protect itself when it comes down and gets 5 loyalty on turn 2 or 3. What's the biggest creature that's going to attack into it that early? Later in the game, when your opponent has bigger threats, then it protects itself.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Jiro posted:

If Realmbreaker is a Phyrexian World Tree, wouldn't merging with it also turn Wrenn Phyrexian? I figured she would have used a portal to go to Kaldheim's tree and merge with that one.

There was a core of the original tree still in there somewhere and Wrenn brought the fire to all the oil and Phyrexian bullshit. I think she may have burned her physical form out to some extent, neither her or Realmbreaker expect to survive.

I'm also curious now about all the past bonded trees. Or maybe how stories with her occur since I guess she's usually needing to planeswalk into some nice soul somewhere?

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Jiro posted:

Seven was killed by Nissa and Wrenn isn't in very good shape after the story. She's used a lot of her strength/fire magic to burn away the phyrexian oil while urging the natural sapling of Realmbreaker to grow so Wrenn and Eight could bring Teferi and the Zhalfirin armies to New Phyrexia.

Sylvian Wastes
Jan 3, 2022

by Hand Knit
Apparently there was something left of the actual worldtree sapling/cutting within because the Phyrexians only partially compleated realmbreaker for probably a reason related to needing it to grow and live like a living organism that can naturally traverse the blind eternities. Thats how Wrenn could hear it crying out in part 2 of the story; it was never fully compleat.

I love how Wrenn and Realmbreaker grope around the Dominaria section of the blind eternities with realmbreaker for Zhalfir. There could be a fun plot point where the various branches to nowhere thicker around Dominaria attract some Kaldheim Cosmos monsters to nest there and pop into Dominaria from time to time.

But grabbing Zhalfir and slamming it into New Phyrexia as the war seems to have devolved into small-unit fighting and the sheer horror of the Phyrexians at seeing tens or hundreds of thousands of fresh, eager troops deep within Phyrexia was something to read.

I totally bet the fighting is going to be a literal blur because all the troops are under Teferis haste magic, and he'll have had preparation to get it good and strong.

Sylvian Wastes fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Mar 24, 2023

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

What other trees are there from wrenn to join up with? Let's get a wrenn and boseiju next.

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

snyprmag posted:

What other trees are there from wrenn to join up with? Let's get a wrenn and boseiju next.

So about Boseiju.....

Edit: It's dead!

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

So about Boseiju.....

Edit: It's dead!

Wren's usually able to bring back dead lands

Pastel Candy Snake
Sep 6, 2018

by Hand Knit

snyprmag posted:

Wren's usually able to bring back dead lands

Wrenn's going to have to bring back a dead Wrenn first.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

A Moose posted:

I don't know that it would replace witherbloom command, since every mode of that card is useful. It removes x/1 creatures like llanowar elves, it destroys pretty much every gy hate permanent except leyline of the void, and it finds combo pieces. I think a 3 mana permanent that just exists to help find the combo isn't good enough. It has to also be good on its own, like wedding invitation or lilliana of the veil. Maybe a sideboard card when you go midrange
Witherbloom command is either the best or worst card in a match up, which can make it very hard to evaluate. A lot of Greasefang lists are playing Traverse the Ulvenwald and Vessel of Nascency now - both of which a planeswalker makes slightly better.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011

Rinkles posted:

What’s a world tree?

not much, what's a world tree with you?

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think its gonna be pretty drat powerful. 3 mana walker, can draw cards and dump things into the graveyard, puts pressure on the opponent and fixes your mana, can have 5 loyalty the first turn its on the board.

It's obviously not Oko but I think its gonna make an impact

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Pastel Candy Snake posted:

Wrenn's going to have to bring back a dead Wrenn first.

New wrenn can do that with the last ability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Would new Wrenn and new Elspeth play well together? Wrenn fills the hard. Elspeths ult returns Wrenn to play. In a super friends deck with lots of proliferate, it seems neat. Even if it's not competitive, I like that their mechanics mesh like that given they are working together in fiction.

Weird rules question, but what happens if Elspeth jumps a lane that Wrenn has turned into a 3/3? It gets flying, but does it lose it when the land stops being a creature? Or do you just have a non-creature land with flying?