Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'd say Sara isn't really a videogame junkie* if she chose school over MMORPGs

*: yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I thought 50 pages of backlog would last longer. Gorou NEET is the worst.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

Going forward I'm gonna try to channel my Kentucky grandmother who would say "terlet" rather than "toilet." But honestly, these are nuances that don't really translate and if I go too overboard with it she'll end up saying stupid cowboy things like "what in tarnation?!" So I'll be trying to aim for a healthy balance.

This sounds fun so long as you stick to actual words/slang. Some translators will go overboard with phonetically spelling out an accent and it quickly gets tedious to read.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
did Gamer Tohru (gohru) forget that his grandpa died several years ago

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Freaking moms and their freaking realism.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Check yourself before you wreck yourself.
-- Ice Cube

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

Boring Translation Talk:

There's more nuance to what Gorou is thinking in the original Japanese. A direct translation is more like "I'm not good with grandma... [Her] speaking in Hiroshima-ben for no good reason. When she mixes it with Kansai-ben there are times I can't understand what she's saying..."

If I had to guess I'd say Gorou is probably ignorant of his grandmother's life circumstances and doesn't really care to learn. She might have grown up around Hiroshima and moved to Kyoto when she got older, and that would explain her unique speaking pattern of mixing both Hiroshima-ben and Kansai-ben together.

Additionally, when she admonishes Gorou she addresses him as "Takuya-ya!" That "ya" honorific is a kinda old-timey and flowery bit of language that you usually only see in poetry, literature, and theater.

Maybe Gorou thinks his grandmother speaks this way in order to seem cultured and self-important. In any case, he doesn't seem to like her very much.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

:eyepop:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

lmao did nobody bother to tell him that his grampa was dead?

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

If I had to guess I'd say Gorou is probably ignorant of his grandmother's life circumstances and doesn't really care to learn. She might have grown up around Hiroshima and moved to Kyoto when she got older, and that would explain her unique speaking pattern of mixing both Hiroshima-ben and Kansai-ben together.

It just occurred to me how weird this take is reading it back. I'm talking like these are real people and not characters in an internet comic.

I've NEETed so much I've become the NEET. :aaaaa:

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

If she’s mixing in Kansai-ben then the only appropriate thing to do is translate her by mixing Kentucky grandmother with Australian English.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Aino Minako posted:

If she’s mixing in Kansai-ben then the only appropriate thing to do is translate her by mixing Kentucky grandmother with Australian English.

Cheers, mate! Y'all come back now ya hear?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

the holy poopacy posted:

Cheers, mate! Y'all come back now ya hear?

I can hear this perfectly and I love it.

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!

Space Kablooey posted:

lmao did nobody bother to tell him that his grampa was dead?

Not a doubt in my mind that someone did tell him but he was distracted playing/thinking about his game and never actually heard it

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

I think there's a typo in the bottom-right text box - didn't he mean "grandpa"?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

With what a straight shooter his mom is, how did he get to this point?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Rabid Boar posted:

Not a doubt in my mind that someone did tell him but he was distracted playing/thinking about his game and never actually heard it
"Your grandfather died last March. You were at the funeral, remember? You spent the whole time on your Switch."

Shadow0 posted:

I think there's a typo in the bottom-right text box - didn't he mean "grandpa"?
Sounds like he is surprised to find out that his grandfather is dead and his grandmother is alive. He was expecting that his grandfather would be alive and his grandmother dead.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I think he was just expecting grandpa to be alive, and thus to have someone to talk to who presumably didn't have the speech patterns he's struggling with

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

"if you were smart and kill your parents, you'd have a decent inheritance to keep you going. idiot"

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

It just occurred to me how weird this take is reading it back. I'm talking like these are real people and not characters in an internet comic.

I've NEETed so much I've become the NEET. :aaaaa:

It's all good.

I'm thinking of it like my own grandma asking me to "warsh th' dish's, sunshine."

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
That side-eyed expression...

On the one hand, no wonder he was comfortable being a NEET, on the other... reminds me of my Mom.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

End of Page 18

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

My house burned down and I have nowhere else to go?

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
neetdad will have some unexpected wisdom soon, maybe he'll have some totally inexplicable take

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
"Then live alone you shall"
*kicks neet out on the street, kickstarting the Daily Life of a Certain Homeless*

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

"I knew someone who lived alone" followed by 1000 strips about a new character from NEET dad's past

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'm lolling at the mom shutting down NEET going to live by himself.

I guess we found out who the enabler is

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Father: You want to live alone? You do not love us! You would dishonor your parents, who brought you into this world, and brought you up for all these years! {Finishes himself off with a kitchen knife.}

Mother: Noooo! My husband killed himself, the shame! My son hates me! {Slashes her own throat.}

Tohru: I'll probably get blamed for this, but I will throw the police investigation into disarray!

I miss the OG timeline. Gay baby jail, those were the days.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

Lmao

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Lol, my dude just came right out and said it

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Time to throw this family into disorder!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Let him finish, he obviously has a plan.