Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
looks like You getting a 5th final season. Walt and Dexter both got off easy, so I really hope they humiliate the poo poo out of Joe in the final season.

what's a good show where the lovely protagonist gets thoroughly owned, completely hosed with no silver lining, just completely boned because of their own lovely choices? Is it just not a feasible option for writing fiction following a detestable protagonist in popular media?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Khanstant posted:

looks like You getting a 5th final season. Walt and Dexter both got off easy, so I really hope they humiliate the poo poo out of Joe in the final season.

what's a good show where the lovely protagonist gets thoroughly owned, completely hosed with no silver lining, just completely boned because of their own lovely choices? Is it just not a feasible option for writing fiction following a detestable protagonist in popular media?

Barry?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I'll reserve judgement for the final season, but that's definitely getting warmer.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Khanstant posted:

Better Call Saul?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Khanstant posted:

Seinfeld. :smug:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Khanstant posted:

Gomorrah.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Timby posted:

Better Call Saul?

The courthouse scene came off as extremely triumphant to me. I think Vince Gilligan likes his characters too much.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Scream Queens, if cliffhangers count? Some of the Beavis and Butthead episodes end up with them just straight up fuckin' dying!

oh jay posted:

The courthouse scene came off as extremely triumphant to me. I think Vince Gilligan likes his characters too much.

I started to say "Wait, how is Breaking Bad not an option?", but I guess Walt's death was pretty "badass".

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cosigning this one.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Khanstant posted:

Death Note

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Khanstant posted:

Always Sunny

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Made a thread for Succession's fourth and final season what's good https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027843

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Khanstant posted:

The Dropout

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Escobarbarian posted:

Made a thread for Succession's fourth and final season what's good https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027843

Not Succession

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

according to early reviews? The fourth season of Succession.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

loving :tviv: at the last 30 seconds of Shrinking

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Lucky Hank seems mediocre at best which is ironic considering the plot is about mediocrity. the annoying student is impressively annoying though

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I liked Lucky Hank enough to keep watching for a while.

Also enjoyed the first 3 episodes of The Night Agent on Netflix

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

Scream Queens, if cliffhangers count? Some of the Beavis and Butthead episodes end up with them just straight up fuckin' dying!

I started to say "Wait, how is Breaking Bad not an option?", but I guess Walt's death was pretty "badass".

He also finds a way to get some money to his family, while taking revenge for his bruised ego on multiple fronts, and evading arrest with barely an inconvenience across country as a televised fugitive. He also puts on that stupid hat again and nobody clowns on him for it.

I don't think BTS counts either, just knowing the ending alone sounds like he double wins, he both could avoid jail if he wanted, and can clear his conscience and come clean on his own terms

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Khanstant posted:

He also finds a way to get some money to his family, while taking revenge for his bruised ego on multiple fronts, and evading arrest with barely an inconvenience across country as a televised fugitive. He also puts on that stupid hat again and nobody clowns on him for it.

Yeah, that's a very good point. :cheers: Most folks didn't walk away from the ending of BB going "Wow, [protagonist] is loving pathetic", which I believe is what you were asking about.

Refresh my memory, what's Tony Soprano's status during the infamous ending? I feel like he's in a good place right before he gets blapped, so it doesn't fit either, yeah?

:lol:, Google is telling me that the word in my spoiler means something quite different in the UK...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I mean, I assume most people (not blinded by protag bias) thought Walt was a pathetic piece of poo poo all along regardless of how he goes, the entire show is just Walt being such a deeply bad person that almost everyone around him gets sucked into the bad person gravity well too. His biggest loss is that his kid hates him and he probably doesn't even get a wiki page noting he's a loser

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah with Breaking Bad I’d say Walt at least gets to go out in a way that he feels satisfied with having won out over “the real bad guys” and being the family provider he pretended to be. I think it’s probably about as fine a line as you can walk. Gilligan obviously knew Walt was the bad guy and had him be that to everyone else. But he also had an audience who loved Walt and he basically let him go out in a way that they could rationalize along with Walt.

Ultimately it’s gonna be hard to do a story about a full on unrepentant villain protagonist. That’s a pretty depressing narrative journey. Like Breaking Bad the best you can do is surround them with sympathetic victims but as Breaking Bad proved that’s a challenge in and of itself in your audience getting the wrong idea entirely.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think Jesse gets punished much harder than Walt, despite surviving and getting to ride off into the sunset. I was never rooting for Jesse to survive, at least never after his scheme to sell meth to addicts at AA meetings, that's an irrevocable "eat poo poo and die" kinda character moment. But he definitely suffers more, feels more failure and powerlessness, and pain than Walt ever does, and arguably all that is poo poo Walt should be burdened with, but the world is unfair and often rewards cruelty and control.

I also don't necessarily think Walt getting owned harder would make the show better, just more satisfying, and Breaking Bad isn't about being satisfying, that's probably the most interesting thing about it. Almost no moments of catharsis, you're almost never happy for anyone, the only people morally worth rooting for are usually loving annoying as poo poo, and when you do find a moment of satisfaction, it crumples under a moments examination.

Like oh cool Fringe totally wiped the great value escobars, oh wait well I hope someone wastes Gring now, okay well now I hope someone makes Walt walk down kings landing in only his whities and stupid hat while Marie shakes a bell at him yelling "shame" oh we don't get that it's just over, well okay fine, you win show. Drugs suck, new Mexico blows, dudes with egos are pathetic, Todd's a creep, and meth is for losers.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Refresh my memory, what's Tony Soprano's status during the infamous ending? I feel like he's in a good place right before he gets blapped, so it doesn't fit either, yeah?

Tony is, to put it mildly, materially fine but emotionally and existentially damned by the last episode.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

CPFortest posted:

Tony is, to put it mildly, materially fine but emotionally and existentially damned by the last episode.

Yeah, it's also basically the culmination of the plotline that he lived a violent and lovely life and that even after he "won" he was never safe and everything came to nothing. Every much the Things Fall Apart ending.

Also probably The Shield, details spoiled since I don't think that it's quite as well known as Sopranos. Not only does Vic lose everything along with his reputation but his family is hosed, Shane goes out in the most horrifying end to a TV plot I've seen and the last guy on the squad who's name I'm not looking up is probably going to jail as a cop with no protection thanks to Vic.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I think the SHIELD is probably a genuinely unhappy ending. Vic really is left with nothing and importantly all the rationalizations and justifications he’s used through the series are stripped away. He’s materially fine, even benefiting professionally But his family is gone, his guys are dead, and his peers know him for what he is. It’s a completely Pyrrhic victory.

In that way I’d say The Shield and Breaking Bad are kind of opposites in Walt gets to die the hero in his own mind and Vic gets to live knowing he’s the villain.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CPFortest posted:

Yeah, this is a good way of putting it. He may not be as completely hosed as in many of the other examples, but he’s hosed in all the ways that count.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, the supernatural/afterlife is also probably real in the Sopranos-verse, so Tony is super hosed.

Edit: I kind of love that about the show. The way people talk about The Sopranos, it's like it's a only serious character drama made up of social realist short stories, but it's also a wacky comedy with psychics and fart jokes. Mad Men has a reputation for being funny, and it is, but The Sopranos is treated more like it's super dour and it's just not.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 25, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Dude, Man Men is so goddamn funny. The ol Colonel Sanders looking dude (Burt Cooper?) mumbling "This is medieval!" When Pete and the British dude started fist-fighting makes me :lol: every time.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, the supernatural/afterlife is also probably real in the Sopranos-verse, so Tony is super hosed.

Edit: I kind of love that about the show. The way people talk about The Sopranos, it's like it's a only serious character drama made up of social realist short stories, but it's also a wacky comedy with psychics and fart jokes. Mad Men has a reputation for being funny, and it is, but The Sopranos is treated more like it's super dour and it's just not.

Yeah, I only watched Sopranos recently since it was a little before my time and I was surprised by how much of it was just outright comedy alongside the dramatic bits. Kind of weird to make it to the infamous Columbus Day episode and see that it's just a comedy one.

Hell, people forget how intentionally goofy and funny Breaking Bad is too, at least at the start.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

debatably the shield

Vic would always continue to dig himself bigger and bigger holes to get himself out of the old one

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Agents of Shield is the most common response, the TVIV pro-Shield taskforce strikes again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dude, Man Men is so goddamn funny. The ol Colonel Sanders looking dude (Burt Cooper?) mumbling "This is medieval!" When Pete and the British dude started fist-fighting makes me :lol: every time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iw0euc4qDk

The look on Peggy's face after she hangs up kills me every time :allears:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
The Shield is the closest to an unhappy ending but there's a sense of moral clarity about the fall of the Strike Team and even Shane's letter that doesn't factor in a lot of the other 2000s prestige shows.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

All the big ones have been covered, but a few interesting edge cases:

Dinosaurs.

Black Sails, though it's slightly ambiguous. I'm pretty sure the "he went to live on a farm" ending is exactly the euphemism it sounds like though.

Possibly Continuum, Being Human (UK) and Hannibal, depending on how you view their endings.

Bates Motel.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't remember it well enough to defend any of them specifically, but why do you think the Dinosaurs characters deserve to be asteroided?

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I don't remember it well enough to defend any of them specifically, but why do you think the Dinosaurs characters deserve to be asteroided?

Pretty sure that baby stabbed someone with a fork at least once, he simply has bad vibes.

Just looked up the scene, I mis-remembered and it was his own tail he stabbed. I was not expecting this complicated lore.

Read After Burning fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Mar 25, 2023

Argus Zant
Nov 18, 2012

Wer ist bereit zu tanzen?

Khanstant posted:

well the Sinclairs specifically maybe don't, but dinosaurs as a whole go extinct because of Earl's/dinosaur society's lovely decisions, which was part of the criteria being discussed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've always read the ending to The Leftovers as being very bleak too. Nora never got the help she needed and spiraled into madness, just like that lady at the start of the season. I gather a lot of people prefer the magic-is-real reading of the end though.

Khanstant posted:

they're americans

Nah, memes. They're not actually wiped out by an asteroid though, they're wiped out by dino made climate change stemming from a desire to produce fake fruit. So yeah, they brought it on themselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnFjAkAs_q4

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Stupid rear end dinosaurs, imagine ruining your own climate just to make fake bullshit.