Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I take it replacing the CPU with an 8 core Ryzen 7 CPU also wouldn't get me much better performance either?

If you have to ask then you're probably not doing any work that scales well with multiple cores or else you'd already know about it, so I'm gonna say no. The only CPU upgrade that could make sense on your platform is to the 5800x3D but that would only be if you were gaming with your system which you're not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Then my life is complete, thanks everyone. :amen:

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't think my motherboard supports more than one NVMe drive (MSI B550-A PRO). Also since I've only got documents, music, video etc. on the SSD there's little point in getting a faster SATA drive (the SSD is miles faster than the older NAS HDD of course).

I take it replacing the CPU with an 8 core Ryzen 7 CPU also wouldn't get me much better performance either?

The B550-A PRO supports 2 NVMe drives.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Butterfly Valley posted:

Not gonna happen, there isn't any actual real world difference in speeds between the PCIe 4 drives for gaming or general tasks like you're describing, only in transferring loving huge files. You'd be just as fine with an Sn770 and spend the $100 elsewhere. Also I don't think anyone told you yet not to spend $100 on windows when you can buy it in SAMart for $20.

I mean given their total build was over $2000 and they're talking about buying a 4080 they better have been inaccurate when they described their budget.

I was under the impression that it did because the game is unpacking data into active memory. A quick search shows me AnAndTech used to even benchmark SSDs on game load times and it made a difference. To me, even if it shaves off a single second or two that's worth a hundred bucks.

And yes, I've gone way past my original budget. I'm also kind of experimenting to see what I'm able to get at whatever price point and it's kind cool to see that I can still building something pretty powerful but still affordable.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

I was under the impression that it did because the game is unpacking data into active memory. A quick search shows me AnAndTech used to even benchmark SSDs on game load times and it made a difference. To me, even if it shaves off a single second or two that's worth a hundred bucks.

And yes, I've gone way past my original budget. I'm also kind of experimenting to see what I'm able to get at whatever price point and it's kind cool to see that I can still building something pretty powerful but still affordable.

You're gonna have to show me those tests. Were they Sata vs NVMe? PCIe 3.0 vs 4.0? Did they compare different tiers of PCIe 4.0 SSDs against each other? Yes, NVMe drives will load some games noticeably faster than SATA SSDs, but there is no appreciable difference between a top-tier PCIe 4.0 drive and a mid-tier PCIe 4.0 drive in terms of load speed.

From TechPowerUp's SN770 review. They have not reviewed the 990 Pro yet, but I can promise you that it won't have a noticeable impact on game load times. Benchmarks that test this are all within margin of error at this point.

If you want to spend $100 for faster game loading, then you're actually better off buying a faster CPU. We've reached the point where the CPU is the primary bottleneck for load times for most things, not just games. SSDs are too fast.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 23, 2023

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011
I just built my PC a few months ago and I love it. I’m having trouble figuring something out though.

Sometimes at the end of the day I want to leave it in sleep mode so I can pick up in the morning where I left off with all my windows and terminals set up just so. But when I just use regular sleep mode in windows 11, about 45 minutes after I put it into sleep, the whole box spins on, including the fans and all the RGB lights. I know there’s nothing touching the keyboard and mouse (although those are Bluetooth, maybe that’s the problem?).

Any idea what could cause this? It’s windows 11. I couldn’t find any useful setting. Could it be in the BIOS? I have that ROG Strix 670 E-F that came with the 7900x deal.

power crystals
Jun 6, 2007

Who wants a belly rub??

If you run "powercfg /lastwake" in a command prompt it'll tell you what's to blame. This is sometimes somewhat opaque but I'd bet money it's a windows update wake timer. You can disable wake timers in power plan options somewhere.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I don't think my motherboard supports more than one NVMe drive (MSI B550-A PRO). Also since I've only got documents, music, video etc. on the SSD there's little point in getting a faster SATA drive (the SSD is miles faster than the older NAS HDD of course).

Your motherboard is AM4 which doesn't support the 7000 series which requires AM5. Even if you upgraded to a 7700X + AM5 mobo + DDR5, it's unlikely to change your day to day.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
10400 and 5700 non-xt. Would I be crazy if I upgrade to a 6700xt? I have a 1440p 144hz monitor right now, and while I'm not struggling by any means thanks to free sync, more frames is always better lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Captain Yossarian posted:

10400 and 5700 non-xt. Would I be crazy if I upgrade to a 6700xt? I have a 1440p 144hz monitor right now, and while I'm not struggling by any means thanks to free sync, more frames is always better lol

I don’t think that would be crazy tbh

Little Abigail
Jul 21, 2011

College Slice

Captain Yossarian posted:

Try getting a 6800 non XT if you can for relatively cheap, but a 6700XT is fine if you can’t, yeah.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I am upgrading to a 7800X3D/AM5 build and decided on the following components:

G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB Series (AMD Expo) 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin SDRAM DDR5 6000 CL30-38-38-96
Price: $160
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BF8FVLSL

ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WiFi 6E Socket AM5 (LGA 1718) Ryzen 7000 ATX Gaming Motherboard
Price: $323
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BDTJFHKJ

How does this look?

The motherboard is an X670E with pcei 5.0 motherboard and SSD M.2. It also has Wifi 6E which is the same as my mesh routers. Is there anything I'm missing out on by not getting a more expensive board? It is flabbergasting that x670E motherboards go up to $1,300+ and I have zero idea what makes any of these boards better than the TUF that I selected besides more expansion slots and such. Thoughts?

This somewhat annoying but knowledgeable-sounding dude seems way into the board: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAAqUk15ryM

The Memory is DDR5 6000 (supposedly the sweet spot for AM5) with CL30-38-38-96 timings. Circumstantial evidence claims this is Hynix A die, which I believe is the best case scenario right now for DDR5? But there's no way to tell - as far as I know- until I get the ram in my hands and run a test on it. That will be awhile as while I'll have all of this random poo poo, the 7800X3D doesn't come out for a couple weeks.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Mar 23, 2023

BirdbrainedPhoenix
Mar 18, 2010
So, like an idiot, I bought a mainboard which isn't compatible with the cooler I got due to a row of capacitors near the CPU.

Mainboard: ASUS X670-P Wifi
Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer ii 360.

Does anyone have a suggested cooler that will work with this mainboard?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The NZXT coolers have real small footprints on the CPU. It's a round cap that's 79mm in diameter. The AM5 socket is 40mm so it'll hang over roughly 20mm. You can see the mount here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/394376901013 If that won't clear, I think you're hosed.

BirdbrainedPhoenix
Mar 18, 2010
Thanks, I'll take a look.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BirdbrainedPhoenix posted:

Thanks, I'll take a look.

I got kind of in to your question for unknown reasons. The Lian Li Galahad series appears to have a smaller CPU block, about 70mm diameter. The EK coolers are the smallest at about 70mm by 61mm. The total footprint of the AM5 package is 103mm by 67mm so the EK block will be smaller than the AM5 package and it definitionally will clear.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I recall that the Liquid Freezer II has a regular mounting bracket and an offset mounting bracket for AM4/5. The offset is supposed to center the water block over the CPU's hottest points to improve dissipation (and it's pretty effective at this). Have you tried both? If you've only tried the offset mounting bracket, maybe the regular one will work?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Been waffling over my decision to go 7900X over 13600K and 4070 Ti over 7900XT since they're the same price and performance and I'm looking at a 10 year use case.

On the CPU side, some reviews show the 7900X slightly faster and some show the 13600K slightly faster in gaming. However, the 7900X can be upgraded in the future so even though I likely won't, it's nice to have the option. Plus the 7900X is faster in productivity, which although I don't really need, it might hold up better in day to day tasks in 8-10 years.

On the GPU side, the 7900XT has the benefit of 20GB VRAM vs 12GB for the 4070 Ti which would help with high res textures. However, neither card is really appropriate for 4K and I have 3x 1440p monitors, so 12GB should be fine for 1440p. It's hard to say what their resale values will look like in 4-5 years when, unlike with CPU, I'm likely to upgrade the GPU, but generally Nvidia does better, though the 7900XT's VRAM may make it more desirable. Tthe 4070 Ti does have the benefit of DLSS which is superior to FSR, so maybe that will help with resale or if I decide to keep it for more than 4-5 years.

Hoping my thoughts can help people who are facing a similar dilemma.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Taima posted:

ASUS TUF Gaming X670E-PLUS WiFi 6E Socket AM5 (LGA 1718) Ryzen 7000 ATX Gaming Motherboard
Price: $323
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BDTJFHKJ
For some reason this gen Asus has been having lots of BIOS issues with AM5. They're not terrible but not good either. They've been plagued with persistent or weird bugs that others fixed a few updates ago.

Asrock or Gigabyte have been doing a better job so far with BIOS tuning and updates. Gigabyte is a lil' faster on the BIOS updates most of the time it seems to me.

Spec-wise and build quality-wise you can get a similar mobo from either of those guys for about the same price as that ASUS board. It'll come down to other factors (ie. Intel or AMD wifi, looks, which Realtek codec it has, etc) that strike your fancy but you can't really go wrong with either of them. Pretty much all of them have overkill VRM's for overclocking on air or water so don't worry about that either.

An ASRock X670E PRO RS or ASRock X670E Steel Legend are similar over all and are a bit cheaper or similarly priced. If you don't mind having the x16 PCIe slot being PCIe 4 then GIGABYTE X670 AORUS Elite AX is nice too.

Taima posted:

But there's no way to tell - as far as I know- until I get the ram in my hands and run a test on it. That will be awhile as while I'll have all of this random poo poo, the 7800X3D doesn't come out for a couple weeks.
Anything with oddball timings, like 36-36-36-76, is highly likely to be Samsung.

Micron is pretty much all the really cheap low end low clocked stuff.

Most things that are 6000-6400 are likely Hynix M die.

Most things that are higher clocked, like 6800-7200, are highly likely to be Hynix A die.

Note that weasel words like "likely" and "most" are used because without actually finding out from people who've bought a given part number and confirmed (with pics and all) what it is that is the best you can do.

Heres a vid if you want more info. A few months old but still correct as far as I know.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

On the GPU side, the 7900XT has the benefit of 20GB VRAM vs 12GB for the 4070 Ti which would help with high res textures.

I’d go with the 4070ti because of DLSS. The XT is an ok card but I think it should be priced a bit cheaper.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Josh Lyman posted:

so maybe that will help with resale or if I decide to keep it for more than 4-5 years.

Maybe I'm the odd one here but I wouldn't even consider resale value as a factor when buying something today. Too unpredictable.

If it were me I'd go AM5 because Zen5 (which is supposed to be a Big Deal) should be a upgrade option on that platform before its discontinued. As for the GPU get whichever you can get cheapest unless you really really love RT. In that case just get the NV card.

DLSS has a edge over FSR right now but you'll likely see the difference narrow over time as adoption and support for FSR grows. In the mean time either a 7900XT or 4070Ti will run everything at 1440p fast enough to probably max your monitor without either FSR or DLSS. The difference will be if you want RT. Then NV has a significant advantage.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 24, 2023

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

What's the situation with direct storage? Is it awesome? Is it only used for game? Do we need to wait a few more years for games to take advantage of it?

I want to build a PC that will play anything a PS5Pro will play, and super fast drive access is getting me. I'm guessing i need PCIE4x4 at least, but would 5x4 be worth it? Please inform thanjs

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the only game using directstorage so far is forspoken so it's hard to really say especially as it was a technical disaster of a port

even pcie 3.0 drives are fine with it, but of course going with 4.0 won't hurt. 5.0 is pointless overkill and not worth thinking about

Josh Lyman posted:

Been waffling over my decision to go 7900X over 13600K and 4070 Ti over 7900XT since they're the same price and performance and I'm looking at a 10 year use case.

On the CPU side, some reviews show the 7900X slightly faster and some show the 13600K slightly faster in gaming. However, the 7900X can be upgraded in the future so even though I likely won't, it's nice to have the option. Plus the 7900X is faster in productivity, which although I don't really need, it might hold up better in day to day tasks in 8-10 years.

On the GPU side, the 7900XT has the benefit of 20GB VRAM vs 12GB for the 4070 Ti which would help with high res textures. However, neither card is really appropriate for 4K and I have 3x 1440p monitors, so 12GB should be fine for 1440p. It's hard to say what their resale values will look like in 4-5 years when, unlike with CPU, I'm likely to upgrade the GPU, but generally Nvidia does better, though the 7900XT's VRAM may make it more desirable. Tthe 4070 Ti does have the benefit of DLSS which is superior to FSR, so maybe that will help with resale or if I decide to keep it for more than 4-5 years.

Hoping my thoughts can help people who are facing a similar dilemma.
trying to future proof is foolish. you simply can't do so reliably.

the 7900X is pointless over the 7700X unless you're doing serious heavily multi-threaded production work. if you're not, there is no good reason to consider it, you're just not going to get anything out of those extra cores and the gaming performance is actually worse in some cases. a better option might be the 7800X3D when it launches next month.

the 4070 Ti has only slightly worse raster performance than the 7900XT but much better raytracing performance and the benefit of DLSS support, so at the same price i'd still go with the 4070 Ti.

lih fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Mar 24, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Awesome poo poo

Thank you sir! I was able to get the motherboard for $242 - so I went for it; It's from amazon but I can return it. Do you think it's a bad call even at $242? If so, I'm open to returning it.

It's hard to pin down the BIOS situation- are you sure your info is up to date? Not saying it is, but I want to make extra sure because during research for this part, I saw people claiming that Asus has improved their BIOS considerably. I trust you though and will defer to your advice.

Thanks for the memory info- and sorry to ask such an obvious question but are you implying that the RAM I am looking at as per my post is not worth it or, generally, there is a better RAM to buy for my use case? I am open to that if you have recommendations. There is at least one Amazon review that states they got Hynix A die, not that such a thing is completely dependable. A lot of people are saying that 6000 is the sweet spot too. I'll watch that video! Thanks again.

What's the best way to get one of these 7800X3Ds on launch day? Discord? Or what? Could anyone provide links to good resources? I notice that the 7950X3D is sold out everywhere, so this is probably going to be a poo poo show when the 7800 comes out, right? Or maybe it'll be ok since they delayed the launch so much; presumably they would have a lot of inventory...?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lih posted:

the 7900X is pointless over the 7700X unless you're doing serious heavily multi-threaded production work. if you're not, there is no good reason to consider it, you're just not going to get anything out of those extra cores and the gaming performance is actually worse in some cases. a better option might be the 7800X3D when it launches next month.

the 4070 Ti has only slightly worse raster performance than the 7900XT but much better raytracing performance and the benefit of DLSS support, so at the same price i'd still go with the 4070 Ti.
Agreed on 7700X over 7900X at MSRP, but Microcenter's bundle (which is still live!) gets you CPU/RAM/mobo for the same price as a 7700X or 13600K build.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Taima posted:

Do you think it's a bad call even at $242? If so, I'm open to returning it.
Nah for X670 or X670E that is a good price these days.

I'd give it a try and only consider returning it if you have problems that a BIOS update doesn't fix.

Taima posted:

It's hard to pin down the BIOS situation- are you sure your info is up to date?
As far as I know it is but I'm not the end all be all expert here. I'm just a guy that reads up to much on this stuff. Lots of my info comes from guys like BZ or watching what others have been through with their set ups on reddit and other places.

Taima posted:

Thanks for the memory info- and sorry to ask such an obvious question but are you implying that the RAM I am looking at as per my post is not worth it or, generally, there is a better RAM to buy for my use case?
I think the stuff you picked is perfectly fine and you'll be happy with it. Price wise if you want DDR5 with those specs with the blingy RGB that is about what you're going to spend anywhere in the US so its a decent price too.

Its if you didn't want the RGB or were willing to try to go cheaper lower spec stuff to roll the dice on OCing it that you might pick something else. Even then you'd maybe save ~$20-30 which is nice but not a huge difference.

The only thing I can think of that might be a issue with the blingy RGB RAM is to make sure it'll fit near your heatsink.

Taima posted:

What's the best way to get one of these 7800X3Ds on launch day?
Oh man I dunno I'm expecting it to be a mess unless AMD stockpiled a huge number for launch. Which I doubt. I'm just hoping that I'll be able to get mine within a few weeks of launch.

71wn
Mar 25, 2018
Moving this over to the GPU thread...

quote:

Looking for recommendations on AMD GPUs to target for 1440@240hz gaming. I'm running a 5800x3d on a Seasonic 750w power supply.

Also, I'm sticking with Radeon cause Linux. Thanks.

71wn fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Mar 24, 2023

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Nah for X670 or X670E that is a good price these days.

I'd give it a try and only consider returning it if you have problems that a BIOS update doesn't fix.

As far as I know it is but I'm not the end all be all expert here. I'm just a guy that reads up to much on this stuff. Lots of my info comes from guys like BZ or watching what others have been through with their set ups on reddit and other places.

I think the stuff you picked is perfectly fine and you'll be happy with it. Price wise if you want DDR5 with those specs with the blingy RGB that is about what you're going to spend anywhere in the US so its a decent price too.

Its if you didn't want the RGB or were willing to try to go cheaper lower spec stuff to roll the dice on OCing it that you might pick something else. Even then you'd maybe save ~$20-30 which is nice but not a huge difference.

The only thing I can think of that might be a issue with the blingy RGB RAM is to make sure it'll fit near your heatsink.

Oh man I dunno I'm expecting it to be a mess unless AMD stockpiled a huge number for launch. Which I doubt. I'm just hoping that I'll be able to get mine within a few weeks of launch.

Thank you man. You're awesome. And yeah I like my RGB, I'm real lame like that. In my defense the machine is part of a dedicated home theater mancave, lol

Our other pcs are all boring so they look good with the decor; I get to have my mancave but the wife would murder me if I did this anywhere else...

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!
Nah I don't mind the bling so much myself. I just can't fit the blingy RGB RAM under my HSF lol

Yeah these new cases that are designed to showcase your build are pretty slick. I think if they were around 20yr ago people would've been more into the RGB too

BirdbrainedPhoenix
Mar 18, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I recall that the Liquid Freezer II has a regular mounting bracket and an offset mounting bracket for AM4/5. The offset is supposed to center the water block over the CPU's hottest points to improve dissipation (and it's pretty effective at this). Have you tried both? If you've only tried the offset mounting bracket, maybe the regular one will work?

It's one bracket with two sets of holes. The issue I'm having is the bracket extends out too far and would sit on top of capacitors. The two sets of holes are for mounting the pump block, the mount only goes on in one spot so there's absolutely no wiggle room. I'm just going to return the Liquid Freezer and go with something else. Thanks for the reply though.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

So I got in the RAM already (hooray for living near Amazon HQ) and I think it's M die?

I had a hard time understanding exactly how to tell, but the packaging helpfully has a clear window that shows the barcode of each stick and they show:

0T48ARS821M - that's M die I think?

Is it worth returning this poo poo and trying to find A die or is this ok?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Ughh my 6 month old SFX PSU has been getting a rattly fan noise that started off as inaudible and now progressively getting worse. Cooler Master gave this a 10 year warranty so I’m not worried about anything but it sucks that I just can’t swap the fan out without voiding it, and now the alternative is waiting however-many days without a PSU to use my computer with.

It would own bones if they could just cross ship me another PSU with a credit card hold like EVGA did with me but I’m not keeping my hopes up.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Taima posted:

Is it worth returning this poo poo and trying to find A die or is this ok?

If you're just planning on running it at 6000 then I'd keep it.

That is the sweet spot anyways for Zen4 right now.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Word, yeah I am, thanks!

buglord posted:

Ughh my 6 month old SFX PSU has been getting a rattly fan noise that started off as inaudible and now progressively getting worse. Cooler Master gave this a 10 year warranty so I’m not worried about anything but it sucks that I just can’t swap the fan out without voiding it, and now the alternative is waiting however-many days without a PSU to use my computer with.

It would own bones if they could just cross ship me another PSU with a credit card hold like EVGA did with me but I’m not keeping my hopes up.

Cooler Master does not have a good claim reputation unfortunately but you'll probably be taken care of on a longer time scale (unless they improved in the last few years)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Taima posted:

Word, yeah I am, thanks!

Cooler Master does not have a good claim reputation unfortunately but you'll probably be taken care of on a longer time scale (unless they improved in the last few years)

Gah balls. Well, there’s a microcenter 45 minutes from me that has the same product there. Wonder if I could just buy it again and return it once my RMA is done. Ideally this whole thing doesn’t take a month.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Edit: Dead Deal :rip:
Gonna drop this here:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Mar 26, 2023

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
So I accidentally bought an extra 2 TB SSD, giving me four total, while my motherboard only has three M2 slots. Is there a PCIe expansion card for M2 drives that people like?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My GPU appears to have bitten the dust - whole PC powered off unexpectedly and wouldn't restart so I did the usual "unplug everything and plug them in one at a time" testing and literally nothing worked. I replaced the psu hoping for a relatively cheap fix and now it DOES power on until I plug in the GPU, which is annoying but it's also a 980 and I've had my fair share of use out of it so I guess it's OK.

Current specs are:

Cpu: i5-8600k
Motherboard: GIGABYTE Intel 1151 Socket Z370 Chipset Aorus Gaming 5 D4
Psu: corsair TX550 80+ Gold
Drives: two Samsung SSDs and one WD green HDD
Ram: 16gb of corsair vengeance ddr4

I use it for a mix of stuff but gaming is high on the priority list, I'm happy enough at 1080p but I do have a 3440x1440 screen that I wouldn't mind using all of if it's feasible.

From some quick checking on PC Part Picker I think I've got enough power overhead to drop anything up to like a 3060 in. Is that the best bang for my buck or is there a better choice? I know the cpu is outdated, I could just do without the expense of a full build while the rest of it is a) working and b) has mostly been fine for me.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sounds like the PSU may have died and took your old GPU with it. That's a real bummer, but in rare circumstances, PSUs can cause that kind of collateral damage when they die.

With that CPU, a midrange GPU will still be GPU-bound at 3440x1440 in almost all scenarios, so I don't think you have to upgrade the cpu at the moment if you don't want to deal with the added cost. Especially since it would mean replacing the motherboard and potentially the memory too. In the current market conditions, you can buy a Radeon 6700 XT for the same price as a 3060, and it's going to be a good 30% faster in most games. So that's what I'd go for if you want a card for around $350. That card uses a little more power than the 3060, but I'm certain that a 550W PSU will be able to handle it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
£350 is a bit more than I paid last time I got a GPU but I guess that's inflation/progress/bitcoin for you.