Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

tfw your entire culture is yankee hamburger crumbs
https://twitter.com/quantian1/status/1638961014606635008?s=20

lmao those comments own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
Italy should make protectionist laws that pizzas, etc. produced outside of the country must be called something different even though its all from the US

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lmao all italian food is american

been saying thsi

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mister Speaker posted:

I mean it is a pretty dumb take to point at pizza and tiramisu and say "lmao all Italian food is actually American." Just ignore risotto, polenta and every single kind of pasta.

Pasta is Chinese op. Risotto is just a crappy paella and I don't think Italians invented porridge.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Mister Speaker posted:

Just ignore risotto, polenta and every single kind of pasta.

Way ahead of you, boss.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Weka posted:

Pasta is Chinese op. Risotto is just a crappy paella and I don't think Italians invented porridge.

Well they did invent fascism

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mister Speaker posted:

I mean it is a pretty dumb take to point at pizza and tiramisu and say "lmao all Italian food is actually American." Just ignore risotto, polenta and every single kind of pasta.

Yeah good point.

That’s actually Chinese.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Weka posted:

Pasta is Chinese op.

Platystemon posted:

Yeah good point.

That’s actually Chinese.

This is dumb history pedantry. Noodles are from Asia. Pasta, specifically, is Italian.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
lol I know a guy who gets really mad if you call pasta noodles so I do it every time

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
driving an Italian to madness by calling every type of pasta spaghetti.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Call all the lil hosed up square noodles radiators

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
As a seventh generation Brooklynite, I correctly refer to every type of pasta with sauce as macaroni and gravy :twisted:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mister Speaker posted:

This is dumb history pedantry. Noodles are from Asia. Pasta, specifically, is Italian.

What's the difference? Shapes other than long and skinny? Because I don't think making say a hamburger but an octagon is making a new type of food.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Weka posted:

What's the difference? Shapes other than long and skinny? Because I don't think making say a hamburger but an octagon is making a new type of food.

I'm no gourmet but to me the delineation is shapes, but also ingredients, and context. Pasta is made with durum or semolina flour, or sometimes potato. As for context, pasta is the noodles but it's also the dish itself. You probably wouldn't be too happy if someone served you carbonara but subbed in udon or ramen noodles for the penne.

I loving love pasta; I always looked forward to the tortellini soup at my Nonna's place - load that poo poo with parm and paprika. Cannelloni, also dope. Lasagna, take it or leave it. Gnocchi is the loving best. Pesto is basically ambrosia. I am at an uncomfortable crossroads because I'm in my mid-30s and the dietician/bodybuilding coach/endocrinologist I've been following is against pasta and grains. Have to reconcile that somehow. Also beer.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mister Speaker posted:

Gnocchi is the loving best. Pesto is basically ambrosia. I am at an uncomfortable crossroads because I'm in my mid-30s

this was dinner tonight. i do not give a poo poo.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

the dietician/bodybuilding coach/endocrinologist I've been following is against pasta and grains. Have to reconcile that somehow. Also beer.

why are you going to a dietician who is so obviously racist against italians?

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Did someone post the sopranos clip where Paulie orders macaroni and gravy in Italy yet?

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Business Gorillas posted:

Did someone post the sopranos clip where Paulie orders macaroni and gravy in Italy yet?

Tempora Mutantur posted:

"...and you thought the Germans were classless pieces of poo poo."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-eHk4RiIso&t=13s

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

I don't think the Italians invented plain corn slop but they probably did invent coming down with pellagra from eating nothing else

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Lord of Pie posted:

I don't think the Italians invented plain corn slop but they probably did invent coming down with pellagra from eating nothing else

when you treat your nutrition like the battle of the isonzo

Weka
May 5, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm no gourmet but to me the delineation is shapes, but also ingredients, and context. Pasta is made with durum or semolina flour, or sometimes potato. As for context, pasta is the noodles but it's also the dish itself. You probably wouldn't be too happy if someone served you carbonara but subbed in udon or ramen noodles for the penne.

I loving love pasta; I always looked forward to the tortellini soup at my Nonna's place - load that poo poo with parm and paprika. Cannelloni, also dope. Lasagna, take it or leave it. Gnocchi is the loving best. Pesto is basically ambrosia. I am at an uncomfortable crossroads because I'm in my mid-30s and the dietician/bodybuilding coach/endocrinologist I've been following is against pasta and grains. Have to reconcile that somehow. Also beer.

The earliest evidence of noodles is from what's now western China, a wheat growing area, so your delineation is particular species of wheat and shape. I wouldn't mind if somebody served me the American dish carbonara with noodles because that's the traditional way.
Italians invented pasta like I invented the octaburger, a hamburger that is octagonal and has a durum wheat bun. It's technically true but it's not noteworthy.

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo
Almost none of the ingredients in traditional Italian cooking are even native to Italy

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Futanari Damacy posted:

Almost none of the ingredients in traditional Italian cooking are even native to Italy

look jack, once the silphium runs out you gotta find something else to slather in rotten fish juice ok

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Futanari Damacy posted:

This is true for a lot of western European cuisine. Get over yourself.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1TnzCiUSI0

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I pronounce Italian like eye-tallian to inflict the greatest psychic harm, unless I’m otherwise doing an Italian impression (🤌🤌🤌🤌 i cooka da pizza)

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mama mia

a primate
Jun 2, 2010

I just saw this episode a few nights ago and I’m pretty sure he plays with some squid ink pasta for a bit and sends it back lol

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i ate leftover gnocchi for like the last four days. i want to make more! turning into a potato ovah here.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Fleetwood posted:

are Austrians German or Italian?

theyre hungarian

Futanari Damacy
Oct 30, 2021

by sebmojo

Mister Speaker posted:

Personally I think colonialism is bad.

POWELL CURES KIDS
Aug 26, 2016

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Futanari Damacy posted:

Personally I think colonialism is bad.

Good news is that italians were a lot worse at it than most of the more competent euros

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

Good news is that italians were a lot worse at it than most of the more competent euros

*be the proud inheritors of the mantle of the empire that formed western civilization*
*lose a war to Ethiopia*

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Reminds me, I live in a heavily Portuguese neighbourhood. There's an old guy that I see sometimes when I'm out for a walk who has a tattoo with some dates and the word 'Angola' on it. In the annual Portugal Day Parade, there are also a dozen or so old guys who march in their old military fatigues. These dudes are almost certainly racist war criminals, right?

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Mister Speaker posted:

Reminds me, I live in a heavily Portuguese neighbourhood. There's an old guy that I see sometimes when I'm out for a walk who has a tattoo with some dates and the word 'Angola' on it. In the annual Portugal Day Parade, there are also a dozen or so old guys who march in their old military fatigues. These dudes are almost certainly racist war criminals, right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angola%E2%80%93Portugal_relations?useskin=vector

ye

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Nice, maybe I'll put an Angolan flag in my window next time the parade marches right by my house.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
a more light hearted example is when India unilaterally invaded Portuguese Goa and took it almost without firing a shot because the Portuguese generals realized they were hosed and surrendered rather than get all their men killed. after the soldiers got back to Portugal they were all court martialed for the crime of not dying. then the Portuguese government had the Governor of Goa exiled. just an angry little runt of a country.

lots of really stupid poo poo starts happening when the empire starts circling the drain, as we are finding out for ourselves right now.

Weka
May 5, 2019

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm the person passionately defending the originality of some western European cuisine. Which is obviously not Italian cuisine because Italy isn't in western Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
It's in the south part of the western half of Europe, and is often culturally/politically spoken of in the same sentences as France or Spain. To me, that's Western Europe.

What's it like being such a joyless contrarian about everything that you can't even acknowledge a rich and delicious culinary culture?