Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Atlas Hugged posted:

my brain is able to compartmentalize and contextualize so I don't accidentally whip out any BDSM equipment when we start to discuss our pew pew robot dolls.

I appreciate you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was actually talking about cognitive behavioral therapy which is not my idea of a good time

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

BattleMaster posted:

I was actually talking about cognitive behavioral therapy which is not my idea of a good time

I hear it's very helpful and helps a lot of people have better times though.

New Stretch Goals announced, $4 mil and $5 mil.

Catalyst posted:

$4 Million: a new Battlefield Support Forcepack will be unlocked for Add-Ons AND all backers will receive the "Tales of the Bounty Hunter" digital shortstory anthology.

$5 Million: Veteran level backers and above get a free Salvage Box. Battalion level backers and above get a free salvage box and a free ForcePack. ALL backers will receive free audiobook files of a novella (to be decided soon).

These are a baseline - we might add more to these or our higher levels over the next few days (we have some calls to make to vendors to see if they can bring these ideas to life, and we have to see what Anthony can actually sculpt for us in a reasonable amount of time to fulfill).

Additionally, we are reviewing our Big Kappa quantities over the next few days. We hear you - we know you want more! But we need to figure out logistically how many we are able to accommodate without the quality of the KerenskyKon experience declining.

Kinda... underwhelming. Hey, at this point most of the pledge levels are already really good deals. 27 more days to go, plenty of time to get to 5 mil for some more free stuff.

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
Locally, "Classic" is still in use to differentiate it from Alpha Strike so I don't really have a problem with it. It might be because a lot of the local players seem to prefer Alpha Strike, so a pretty frequent question on discord when setting up a game is "Alpha Strike or Classic?"

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Atlas Hugged posted:

There have been quite a few editions of Battletech over the years, but unlike GW editions, they don't rewrite the rules from the ground up. It's usually just cleanup, errata, better organization and presentation, and one or two changes to equipment that the community has been asking for.

A "new edition" for the 40th anniversary would likely be a replacement for Total Warfare that takes into account the various entry points into the game and tries to be more accessible to newer players.

The new vehicle and infantry rules are great and the only printed version of them that exists is the Battle of Tukayyid Chaos Campaign book. They'll probably need a new Total Warfare book at this point, one for newer vehicle rules and then I dunno, "Sim Operations" for the people that really gotta be rolling 40 cluster hits.

Anyway Im really surprised at how well the KS is doing, I thought it was woke and therefore broke. Remember how they removed the rommell tank? That was a serious issue that adults cared about!

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

drat that plants got a Lotta guns.

Honestly kind of surprising that as gimmicky as stuff got they never made mechs explicitly designed to camo as other stuff, aping transformers a bit.

A building mech, a giant tree mech...

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Traditional Games > Battletech: PLANT MECH -> WOO HOO

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
The first 12 hours of Mercenaries KS pledges exceeded pledges for the entire Clan Invasion campaign lol

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Marx Headroom posted:

The first 12 hours of Mercenaries KS pledges exceeded pledges for the entire Clan Invasion campaign lol

Battletech is BACK baby.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
In case it's not clear, the 60 is his center torso armor and the 40s are the arms. 50s in the leg. Plants don't have Left and Right Torsos.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Battletech is BACK baby.

this

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Owlbear Camus posted:

drat that plants got a Lotta guns.

Honestly kind of surprising that as gimmicky as stuff got they never made mechs explicitly designed to camo as other stuff, aping transformers a bit.

A building mech, a giant tree mech...

I think you will find the Urbie is cunningly disguised as a piece of poo poo

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

a cyborg mug posted:

I think you will find the Urbie is cunningly disguised as a piece of poo poo

drat I may be a true blue spheroid but this slander has me wanting to issue a batchall.

urbies at high noon

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Cthulu Carl posted:

Marx Headroom posted:

Yeah it's been a hoot to watch the pledges shoot up into the stratosphere. I'm hoping they can get to 5 mil by the end of the campaign, seems likely since they've gotten another half a million since last night.

Also;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdCXWaPY6Ok

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Atlas Hugged: at the moment, that doesn’t seem doable. All said, add ons seem like they’re at MSRP, so you’d probably be fine just buying the PDF on DriveThru. If you want a printed copy, either look on CGLs website or if DTRPG does POD.

ANAGRAMS

ACRONYMS*

BattleMaster posted:

And aside from "CBT" being a slightly unfortunate abbreviation depending on where your mind is, "BattleTech" has the same number of syllables as saying see-bee-tee anyway.

You gotta say it say-bay-tay to get around the filter.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Cthulu Carl posted:

Seconded.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Order up!

Hardened Armor to give the allocated points extra value. It's also a plant, so it doesn't need to run. If it grows in water it will be a happy plant and stay perfectly cool while firing everything except the RL20.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I just tried a lance-on-lance demo of it today and it does sacrifice some unique parts of the game for what is basically scale.

The single roll to hit with some optional overheat makes sense for immense battalion-on-battalion encounters, but it really makes a lot of units same-y and many variants' entire reason for existing just sort of evaporates.
Apparently there's an optional rule where you can break down weapons fire into more dice rolls? That would make some units different from each other. If there were say, a bigger difference in number of dice rolled between, say, an AC/20 carrier vs. a Medium Laser-boat, that would help make units more interesting and keep in that part about the Classic game at least.

I won the bout by the way, it was all about trading fire a lot until it was 1 tank vs. 1 tank and I happened to succeed on my to-hit roll vs. my opponent missing. We both needed 7s.

I'd say I liked Heavy Gear Blitz! better, and that game has its own host of issues too
Lance-on-lance is a way to cram the "standard" BattleTech game into a quick demo session. You really need to field a full company and make use of the formations to get the most out of Alpha Strike, and even then it's not going to be for everyone.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

PeterWeller posted:

ACRONYMS*

You gotta say it say-bay-tay to get around the filter.

I was very tired. Acronyms indeed.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I was trying to figure out what the human equivalent would be for a plant carrying a flamethrower, since that's like the most dangerous thing to groups of plants.

Then I realized it was just a human carrying a flamethrower.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Arquinsiel posted:

Lance-on-lance is a way to cram the "standard" BattleTech game into a quick demo session.

In MegaMek, maybe. If it's 4v4 Beginner's Box 'Mechs (or even AGoAC 'Mechs) it's...not going to be a 90-minute affair. edit: misread the context

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 24, 2023

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Defiance Industries posted:

I was trying to figure out what the human equivalent would be for a plant carrying a flamethrower, since that's like the most dangerous thing to groups of plants.

Then I realized it was just a human carrying a flamethrower.

Closest would be those plants and trees that intentionally set forests on fire to propogate their seeds.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

In MegaMek, maybe. If it's 4v4 Beginner's Box 'Mechs (or even AGoAC 'Mechs) it's...not going to be a 90-minute affair.

Arq means that an Alpha Strike game that features 4 versus 4 mirrors a "standard" BattleTech game but unlike said BattleTech game is fast enough for a quick demo.

However you need a larger game to really test if Alpha Strike is for you - the exchange rate from BattleTech to Alpha Strike in terms of complexity is something like 1 unit to 1 lance. So a 4 on 4 game in Alpha Strike is like the 1 on 1 match from the BattleTech Beginner Boxes. You need to run a 12 on 12 game or larger for the real test.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Ah, no arguments from me then.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
What is a Salvage Pack

Is it just random mech arms and legs? It should be.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Kesper North posted:

What is a Salvage Pack

Is it just random mech arms and legs? It should be.

It's a single random mech

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
They're more of a packaging form factor now, since you can pay for an extra "salvage pack" and get an aerospace fighter if you like. Apparently there are vehicles in some of them too.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Good to know, thanks.

I haven't played Battletech as a pen and paper game in 30 years - I'm more a Mechwarrior/MWO player - but all this kind of has me tempted to get back in. The new models look super sweet and I find myself in the peculiar position of having a girlfriend who keeps hinting that she wishes I'd take up a wargame because she loves painting miniatures.

If I was gonna back this thing, what's a meaningful level to back at that would get me a decent starter set? Ideally at a level that I'd have enough mechs that I could have a friend over and do a lance vs lance fight.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Kesper North posted:

Good to know, thanks.

I haven't played Battletech as a pen and paper game in 30 years - I'm more a Mechwarrior/MWO player - but all this kind of has me tempted to get back in. The new models look super sweet and I find myself in the peculiar position of having a girlfriend who keeps hinting that she wishes I'd take up a wargame because she loves painting miniatures.

If I was gonna back this thing, what's a meaningful level to back at that would get me a decent starter set? Ideally at a level that I'd have enough mechs that I could have a friend over and do a lance vs lance fight.

Veteran (80 bucks för the merc box and a few bonus stuff) level will give you enough minis for a lance on lance fight and have a bunch of options. I know people love getting tons and tons of minis but after buying the Game of Armored Combat box and two lance packs, I already feel like it’s a lot. So maaybe the level above that if you want to go crazy, but you don’t need to get knee deep from the start to get a few lance on lance fights in.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Mar 24, 2023

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

lilljonas posted:

Veteran (80 bucks för the merc box and a few bonus stuff) level will give you enough minis for a lance on lance fight and have a bunch of options. I know people love getting tons and tons of minis but after buying the Game of Armored Combat box and two lance packs, I already feel like it’s a lot.

That's perfect, thanks.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Kesper North posted:

That's perfect, thanks.

As a new player I think it makes total sense to choose the veteran level, play a few games to see if you like it, what kind of mechs you like, and the go buy a lance pack or two.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'm currently wavering between Veteran and Company because right now I just don't actually want that many more mechs, but I do like a lot of the new stuff coming out. There is maths as to what gets you the best bang for your buck, but you can always add on a specific force pack if you really want that one Clan Mech or something.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I would back at the 80 dollar level and just buy other stuff at retail if you want it. Or skip this entirely and get the game of armored combat or alpha strike boxes.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Kesper North posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Just keep in mind the mercenaries box doesn't come with the either the bare bones mech rules in the beginner box or the closer to full but still a little simplified mech rules in the game of Armored Combat box.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Mrs. Dash posted:

Just keep in mind the mercenaries box doesn't come with the either the bare bones mech rules in the beginner box or the closer to full but still a little simplified mech rules in the game of Armored Combat box.

...Oh jeeze. If the AC box has the "closer to full but still a little simplified" rules, which box has the actual full ruleset?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Kesper North posted:

...Oh jeeze. If the AC box has the "closer to full but still a little simplified" rules, which box has the actual full ruleset?

None of them - once you master the A Game of Armored Combat rules, you can move on to the BattleMech Manual book ('Mech rules only) or if you're brave, the Total Warfare book that has rules for every standard unit type.

Mercenaries and Clan Invasion are expansions to A Game of Armored Combat and expect that you have access to those rules or one of those two books.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

Kesper North posted:

I don't think you'll find them in any box set currently released. The full grand daddy rulebook is the Total Warfare book but it's old and in desperate need of a rewrite that makes it easier to use as a reference for new players. The Battlemech Manual is the full mech combat rules and won't have the rules for vehicles and stuff but it's more recently written and much easier to use for learning the game.

The game of Armored Combat box has a 20 dollar coupon you can use on catalysts webstore you can use on one of the rulebook if you decide you like the game

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
If you want to work from simplest on up then you could go with the second tier of pledge for the beginner box, and add on the GoAC box, then use the voucher from that to get the BattleMech Manual when you are ready to move up another notch.

TBH though if you've played before, just get the Veteran box unless they do another "revisited" or "revengenance" or whatever the hell it was they called the "gimme all the minis from the last Kickstarter in a brown cardboard box" add on, and pick up the BMM whenever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I don't understand the current Pokemon-like business model but it apparently revitalized an IP I care about so I'll just enjoy the good news in quiet confusion