Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
:holymoley:

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
So you can buy avs for other people and everyone thought you couldn't tell who bought an av but you actually can? So someone named rats bought an av for themselves to look like they were being persecuted by bigots (not sure why) and got caught?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Borscht posted:

So you can buy avs for other people and everyone thought you couldn't tell who bought an av but you actually can? So someone named rats bought an av for themselves to look like they were being persecuted by bigots (not sure why) and got caught?

it can be seen if you purchase your own av, but it cannot be seen if you purchase an av for someone else. It's the $5/$10 difference.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
So what is red text? When you buy a av for someone else is the text red?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And while we're at it, what is text? What is is even?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It can be whatever color and size, but big red text catches the eye and if you're pissed you want people to notice it

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
My av and text came from someone else (could’ve been a modmin ig)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Borscht posted:

So what is red text? When you buy a av for someone else is the text red?

Avatar and text comes together in one package. Red texting is a tradition of changing someone's avatar and text to something dunking on them for having expressed a lovely opinion (or the like), with the avatar-buyer making the text big, red and in capitals.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Hold up. There’s a color called red. Since when?

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
The text isn't actually red, it just appears that way because it's moving away from us.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Cool. Gotcha. #justiceforjussie

Now what does tane mean?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Velocity Raptor posted:

The text isn't actually red, it just appears that way because it's moving away from us.

No, you're thinking of dopler shifting.

The red text isn't actually red. It's just NotBlue and NotGreen combined.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

CainFortea posted:

No, you're thinking of dopler shifting.

The red text isn't actually red. It's just NotBlue and NotGreen combined.

:hmmyes:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Borscht posted:

Now what does tane mean?

orb

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Borscht posted:

Now what does tane mean?

Oh, well that's got to be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8K6QUPmv8Q

I have no loving idea

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Paladinus posted:

_____/

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Paladinus posted:

And while we're at it, what is text?

According to Derrida:
Everything.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Paladinus posted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

gently caress

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Hahaha, great minds. I was thinking about using a saxophone photo. Turns out that 'biting his lower lip' thing that he was famous for? He didn't really do it that much, or at least there aren't that many photos of it.

LSC
Apr 17, 2006

holy hell

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

It's loss isn't it

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

excellent meter fit

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Borscht posted:

You’ve got it.

Lumbermouth posted:

"Just one more thing... did you know that when you buy yourself an avatar, a receipt is connected to the account that purchased it? Now everyone knows that redtexting another user is anonymous. You can buy someone else an avatar and no one would even know. But that costs money. A whole :fivecbux: more than buying one for yourself."

"Now a smart woman would spend the :10bux: and stay completely anonymous. But you're a frugal woman, not a smart woman."
_________________________________________________/

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/TurboJehtt/status/1639341315216269337?t=q-1wn918JxVfCobxePlWxg&s=19

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6e1_IlvmQs

e: oh haha it's the same guy :D

ee:

Borscht posted:

Well, at the moment buying an avatar for someone else is not traceable. This is currently under discussion over here.

The thing is, buying an avatar for *yourself* is traceable. You have to be logged in to do that, which makes it possible to tell whodunnit (somehow, I'm not sure how it works). But then there's also the fact that it costs $5 and not $10, so it could possibly be deduced from cross-checking when a user's av changes with when they made a $5 payment (if you're the website owner and so have access to payment records, that is).

Hyperlynx has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Mar 25, 2023

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Bar Crow posted:

Hold up. There’s a color called red. Since when?

No, you're thinking of red the flavor. That's why it's called flavor text.

pseudorandom has a new favorite as of 08:52 on Mar 25, 2023

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

No? I mean, if they hang down that low it makes sense to me...

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

I googled it and no horrible fact about the world came up. What's the joke?

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

It's a chess meme about people not knowing what en passant means so they say "google en passant", this meme turns google from a verb into the proper noun

At least that's what I got out of it, not sure if there's more to the meme it's riffing on

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Leon Sumbitches posted:

I googled it and no horrible fact about the world came up. What's the joke?

It itself is a meme. Lots of people aren't familiar with en passant, and especially in some spaces where you can play the game online the phrase "google en passant" became a meme because of how often people had to say it to people complaining about getting blindsided by a move they didn't know existed

e: also I guess here specifically it's dressed up in google colors and looks like an app icon

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Kit Walker posted:

It itself is a meme. Lots of people aren't familiar with en passant, and especially in some spaces where you can play the game online the phrase "google en passant" became a meme because of how often people had to say it to people complaining about getting blindsided by a move they didn't know existed

e: also I guess here specifically it's dressed up in google colors and looks like an app icon

“Google En Passant” the new app from the people you use to google en passant.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

boofhead posted:

It's a chess meme about people not knowing what en passant means so they say "google en passant", this meme turns google from a verb into the proper noun

both of those are of course distinct from "google en passant" with google as an adjective, which is when a large tech company buys a competitor or potential competitor for a ridiculously overvalued amount (see also "1 instagram" as synecdoche for "a billion dollars")

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Now Google the French move.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Grassy Knowles posted:

“Google En Passant” the new app from the people you use to google en passant.

From the makers of Let Me Google That For You, it's Let Me Google En Passant For You!!!

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, only neo-NMA types have this sort of opinion, anymore. After all, we know that the numbers were like 200 percent better in the UK alone.

It's OK to admit you're the Shocked Woman who is surprised that the fanbase you think you're a part of is looking affectionately at the Pretty Young Lady and not you.

Man, I hope this dude is still out there somewhere, trolling on an alt.

God bless you, mrbibs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MisterBibs posted:

Nah, only neo-NMA types have this sort of opinion, anymore. After all, we know that the numbers were like 200 percent better in the UK alone.

It's OK to admit you're the Shocked Woman who is surprised that the fanbase you think you're a part of is looking affectionately at the Pretty Young Lady and not you.

MisterBibs, you are horribly incorrect.